40+ Club- I'm Dreaming Of A Light Christmas

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: alf, you always have such a good attitude. We all need to start thinking like you do.

I was thinking that this cold weather is good for us. We are burning calories just trying to keep warm. But then, it hit me that my long underwear is surely making me look bigger. But maybe not. I did have someone ask me today about losing weight.:smile:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

singfree, I don't follow a specific eating plan. I just can't....never have been able to. I do what alf says....I stay away from processed foods as much as possible, I eat as many whole foods as I can, I try to eat things in their most natural form, etc. I don't do this with everything, of course, but I try where I can. My goal this year is to try more and more to find more recipes I can cook from that are easy to fit into our daily routine. Because, like you (my dear brother!), I have a tendency to eat the same things over and over again. In fact, I just bought a new cookbook (Ellie Krieger, 'So Easy') this morning to get some more recipe ideas. My problem is I'm not a natural cook, and whereas I love baking, I don't actually really enjoy cooking. But that is slowly changing, and I'm feeling more confident about my cooking skills right now than I ever have if I'm being honest.

duffy, sorry to hear about the snow. I have a question about the Eat For Health program. Is it geared towards weight loss or at the end of it are you at a place where you've just completely changed your dietary habits? In other words, are the goals meant to be long term or short term?

Swissmiss, doesn't it feel good when somebody asks about weight? That was the weird thing in the move. In LA, people saw me go through the transition, so I was constantly being asked about food/fitness. But here, people just thought I was naturally thin, so I actually got quite a few comments like 'you don't have to worry because you're thin', and I'd want to yell 'You have no idea how hard I worked to get here either!' But I'm not one who likes to talk about my weight loss, to be honest, so I don't say anything. My husband, on the other hand, is the one who is telling EVERYBODY how much weight I lost. I don't quite know why he seems to think it necessary to tell people when they say something like 'Your wife is thin' that I once wasn't, but......there you go. I think he thinks it is positive (illustrating my hard work), and doesn't quite understand that I'm a little uncomfortable talking about it. Of course I don't know why I'm uncomfortable talking about it, so it's hard for me to explain that one to him. :ohwell:

alf, great to see you!! So good to hear you've lost your weight. I wish I could say the same. :explode: Sounds like you've worked out a really good way to do that second teaching job AND your own personal fitness regime. I'm so impressed!! I've been thinking about you today because there is a lady here on base who is trying to get me to go to Zumba classes with her. They are at a kind of bad time (dinner hour) for me, but her goal was to go, learn and eventually get certified to teach so we could have a class here on base at a better time for some of us. Because of the weather, the classes haven't been held yet. But I'm going to give them a shot when they do open up. Who knows? If she can't get certified, maybe I'll try since I have a role model out there (alf!) I can follow. :drinker:

I love what you said about changing your relationship with food. It sounds to me like you, me and duffy are all pretty much going after the same thing....taking some of the focus off beating ourselves up for some things and focusing more on positive things. I, too, want to feel good about eating what I want as long as I do it in moderation. I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. But I'm hoping that if each of us keeps posting our thoughts/ideas on the matter, we'll be able to combine the ideas into something we an all benefit from. My starting place goes back to my reading 'French Women Don't Get Fat'. I didn't particularly care for the book, but the underlying theme of it was 'All things are good if done smartly'. The author really did focus on balance when it comes to eating. So, for me, I'm going to start by focusing on the word 'smartly' and work at that because, honestly, how can I beat myself up if I make a smart decision about something? Just because that decision may have been to eat chocolate cake doesn't have to make the decision a bad one. And, yes, I do think there are smart reasons to eat cake. I think I shared this here before, but when a poll of Americans were asked what they associate chocolate cake with, the predominant answer was 'guilt'. For the French, the answer was 'celebration'. So I'm going to try to make smart food choices that span the range from whole, natural foods to chocolate cake and see the positives in ALL of those choices. And if there aren't any positives to a choice I'm being asked to make, then I won't choose it. We'll see how this goes. :tongue:

I did more STS this morning, and I'm feeling it right now. I went a little lighter on my cardio as a result. I definitely feel like I'm almost back to pre-Christmas weight. But I still want to get back to pre-move weight AND (more importantly) fitness levels. That's going to take a little while, but I'm definitely moving in the right direction.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Stiring, I also am just about to my pre-holiday weight. I did quite good yesterday. Went to my strength class and ate good. I feel so good and that is what matters. Even though I am still carrying too much weight I feel thin. It is because I am not loading up on fattening, stuffy foods.

I really need to measure myself. I have only done this twice. I have a feeling that I have lost some inches.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Best laid plans...I was all set to go to the gym testerday for a good noon workout, but a funny thing happened- my computer crashed!! So I spent the day with our computer guy re-fomatting the PC. Thankfully all of my work info was backed up on the company server. The good news is that my computer is really fast now. Before, it was so bogged down with viruses and other junk that it was slow as molasses in Michigan (that one's for you, Duffy).

Stiring, thanks for your reply to me. We really like Ellie Krieger, too. She's the Anti-Paula Deen!! Her credentials are impeccable. I try to eat as much unprocessed food as possible. When I do eat something from a box, or dare I say,,,pizza place (cringe), I get a sodium overload immediately, which requires large amounts of water and the accompanying swelling which gives me that wonderful "Michelin Man" look for a day or two. I like to cook, but I am not a natural. Thankfully, eating well doesn't require a degree from the CIA or Le Cordon Bleu.

Stiring, keep up the good work. Slow and steady is the best way to go!

Alf, dear lady!!! Don't let the scale get the better of you! You're doing great and you know how to stay lean. Trust you instincts, not your scale!!

See y'all later!
  • BrendaColleen
    Options
    A group of us friends all just joined myfitness pal. We are hoping that even though we aren't together physically, being connected here will help us achieve our goals. Wish us luck. Its a new beginning!!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday - which means Hooray - I did not get stuck in my driveway this morning!:drinker:

Today is rest day for me so I'll be making sure the dog and I take an extra long walk. Actually right now I'm really working up a sweat walking the dog because the snowplows have yet to reach our subdivision which means it is like walking through quick sand out there. Another reason I'm considering snowshoeing as a cardio option for winter.

Stiring: Eat for Health is definitely geared toward long term lifestyle changes. The plan was initially developed for people with long term health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure or high chlorestral. The main principle is selecting the most nutrient dense foods available. Dr. Fuhrman has a rating system for foods and the more nutrients per calorie the higher rated the food is. Dark leafy greens are at the very top (so low in calorie and so high in nutrients makes sense). So in a way this is very similar to your idea of eating clean.

Sing: I understand what you mean about sodium overload but just wondering when you have a good week of eating clean do you find yourself craving salt. I've been really craving salty snacks right now I seem to be handling alright I've been having 2 olives when the urge attacks (only 20 calories and good source of fat). I'm wondering if it is just a temporary issue because of the lack of processed foods or if maybe it is a real need for some sodium considering all the water I'm downing right now.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Buenos dias! Good morning! Guten Morgen! :laugh: :tongue: Here at work. Just came from the kitchen and what do I find?? A very nice huge bowl of strawberry shortcake someone made for all of us!! These people!!!! :devil: :mad: I have already logged in all my foods for today and have about 101 cals leftover, I might have some. :noway:

Stiring, try the Zumba class. It will be great if your friend got certified and brought the class closer to you. It is a fun workout to do for variety. I know you like tougher workouts but you can make as tough as you'd like. I have burned 450 cals in one hr. I am going to have to check out Ellie Krieger's book and Dr. Fuhrman's.

Duffy, how is your neck? I am not lifting as heavy doing CE and I have noticed my strength has decreased since the last time I did CE. I am glad I made notes in my guidebook and I am able to compare now. I will get there again. It is incredible how your fitness and strength levels can decrease in such a little amount of time. :noway:

Brenda, welcome!!!! :flowerforyou: This is a great site and you and your friends will love it. Be consistent and you will see results. One of the things I love most about it is how others motivate and inspire you to succeed in your fitness and health goals.

Have a wonderful day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :mad: I have the sodium problem. Because I LOVE salt.:smile: I crave salty foods over sweet. I think maybe that may be one of my slow weight lose problems. So, I should drink even more water?

:flowerforyou: duffy, my husband usually takes our dog for his walks. The dog is a Yorkie. We have snow on the ground now and the dog hates it. He does a lot of hopping around trying to keep his stomach and other parts clear of the snow. It is so funny.

:flowerforyou: Brenda, welcome to you and to your friends.

:flowerforyou: alf, I think the most calories I have burned during Zumba is around 420. And that was after a long break and I was trying to make up for my inactivity.
  • TexasMom
    Options
    Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!!!!

I can't believe I dropped off the radar again for so long. Each day seems to get away from me and the holidays kept us all busy.

I'm not proud of the weight I've put back on but I'm not looking back. Learning how to fail forward is a lesson I've learned all too well and I am so thankful for that lesson.

I logged my calories and workout today for the first time in way too long and it felt great. I've read the posts and am so inspired by all of you. It's so nice to see the honesty and the successes. I've missed all of you and look forward to 2010 "the year of commitment".

Blessings to all,
    Nita
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone ~ :flowerforyou:

Wanted to drop in and say “hi” before the week got away from me! :wink: So far so good this week with eating and workouts. I have a few double days scheduled so I am looking forward to that! Yesterday I did a weight workout for Chest & Back and then did a Turbo Kick class last night. Today was cardio and tomorrow will be Plyo Legs & possibly spinning in the evening! :noway: It really does feel good to do something in the evening instead of just my normal go home, make dinner, etc….routine that the winter seems to provide. Since I am a very early riser I feel nice & tired when I hit the bed. :happy:

Stiring: Yes, I cannot believe how fast the 6 mo rotation has gone. I did look and I have Disc 31, 32, 33 this week and next then 34, 35, 36 the following two weeks and I’m done.
    Will definitely be getting my “new” rotation figured out before then! Thanks for the advice on those. I was feeling a bit sad about it ending :cry: and now I will have a new rotation to look forward to. PLUS there is always the lingering urge to do Insanity! :noway:

Singfree: I know what you mean about eating the same thing over & over again. I find myself doing that to remain healthy/within my calories/etc. Plus I always know how I feel after eating those same meals/snacks so I tend to stay with what is comfortable to my body. One book I refer to over & over is the Eat Clean Book or the new one she has is good to “Supercharged” by Tosca Reno. It gives some good – clean recipes! Thanks for your encouraging posts ~ I always look forward to reading them. :smile:

Alf, Stiring & Duffy: I’m with you guys absolutely on the food & relationship with food. Sometimes I think, well if I could just reach that magic number (on the scale) I would not beat myself up over food at times. I do make a lot of good choices with food so I should give myself credit for that in itself vs. what I haven't achieved through my efforts . . . and we all should! :drinker:
    My goal as well is to figure out first of all the correct calories for what my body needs or doesn’t need so that my hard work can pay off! Thanks again Stiring for some good ideas so I hope to have some success this year. I think I have lived in such a calorie deficit state for so long my body just stays right where it is; even if it is healthy foods.

Hopefully you are all having a great week! Talk to you soon. :flowerforyou:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Got back home tonight from 3 days in Kansas City - had a 2 day conference there, so drove up Sunday afternoon so I could have dinner with my oldest daughter and her boyfriend. The conference was actually very good - it was on improving your business writing skills and proofreading, which are both things that I struggle with. Typos jump off the page at me, but I've always had problems making things flow right in "formal" communications. So.......actually learned a lot of practical information that I hope to be able to use without thinking too hard about it!:laugh: :laugh:

Ate decently all 3 days and did 20 minutes on the hotel 's ellipitical trainer yesteday, which was pretty good for me, since I usually work out on a circuit at Curves. I probably could have done more time on the ET, but I didn't want to kill my quads and hamstrings like I did at Christmas with my youngest daughter. I'm ready to hit Curves tomorrow night after I pick the dog up from the vet (where I board her when I'm out of town). Hopefully the scale is kind to me tomorrow..........one never knows, especially when you've skipped multiple scheduled workouts because of weather issues the past few weeks!!!

Glad to hear everyone's doing OK and keeping motivated!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Nita!!! It's great that you're back with us. We miss all of our old friends who have been away for a while. You know that you are ALWAYS welcome here!! We will do our best to motivate and encourage you to meet your fitness & weight goals.

mk, glad you had a successful time in KC. I have a conference on Saturday for the Susquehanna Chorale. I am on the long-range planning committee and we are having an all-day seminar dealing with being more effective. The agenda sounds pretty dry, but I'll survive. Hopefully the food they serve will be good for me.

2BLean, I hear you about double days. Except for the weekend I rarely do only cardio and not strength. I feel as though I am cheating myself. I know...it's dumb, but I would rather be overly motivated than do nothing at all. It seems to be all-or-nothing with me. Now if I could only get that mindset with food.......

Our Grandson is staying overnight at our house (with his daddy). Since he lives in NYC, he comes to PA to pick up his son and stays here with him. Tomorrow the mother will pick him up. I'm glad for the visit, but this divorce thing is going to take some getting used to. I hate all of this tension, but I can understand it. My prayer is that the little guy will make the adjustment without too much trauma. He is very comfortable at our house. We made our guest room into a bedroom with a crib. He seems to like it very much.

Today my eating plan is like this today: (spacing the meals every few hours)

Cereal & light vanilla soy milk
    2 eggs & 2 whole wheat bread
    Bag of steamed veg
    Applesauce
    Banana
    Tuna Salad
    Chicken & sweet potatoes & veg
    Snack
    Protein Shake
    Almonds

These are the "typical" types of food that I normally eat during the week. Ideally I would not have any red wine or pretzels in the evening, so I chose not to include them. To adjust total cals for my workouts I would merely increase the portion size accordingly. On my light workout days I am at around 1700 cals and on heavier workout days I am at 2000-2200 cals. If I can keep the eating "clean" (no wine or pretzels), I will be able to lose the holiday fat quickly. After the fat is gone I want to increase muscle, which also means upping the cals to support muscle growth. Feel free to comment and make suggestions. I need the help!

Have a great day!
  • singfree
    Options
    Hey gang!

Since we are now well past the holiday season, I'm going to continue this thread with a new topic name:

And the winner is......drum roll.................

40+Club: Beating The Winter Bulge

Please go there now!!!!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Got back home tonight from 3 days in Kansas City - had a 2 day conference there, so drove up Sunday afternoon so I could have dinner with my oldest daughter and her boyfriend. The conference was actually very good - it was on improving your business writing skills and proofreading, which are both things that I struggle with. Typos jump off the page at me, but I've always had problems making things flow right in "formal" communications. So.......actually learned a lot of practical information that I hope to be able to use without thinking too hard about it!:laugh: :laugh:

Don't be upset Sing - I went though first but had to reply with a quote to MK;

OMG- such a timely conference. I'm loving the TV show Better off Ted and last night the corporation sent out a memo that Employees must NOW use offensive and insulting language.:laugh: