Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness - my 11 year-old son has been nagging me to use my crazy expensive new running shoes and this morning I finally did! Went out with him and did (slow) jog/walk intervals until I was winded. Didn't take long unfortunately, but I have to remember that I'm a lot heavier than I was last time I ran. Can't wait to try it again!

michelle

So many things I can say WOO HOO too. First of all, you went out with your son. This is first and foremost that you spent some quality time with him. I cannot wait to do this with my 10-year old. We don't do too many active things because I just couldn't. Now that I'm losing I'm about to start recommending we do similar stuff and he can help motivate me too. I'll never forget one time walking a trail and had to go up this crazy hill. I was breathing rather hard, but he started patting me on the back and said "Mom, you can do it!!" I started to cry and he asked why "I just said because I love you." AWESOME memory.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: Didn't make it to the gym this AM, but that's OK. We have Open House at my son's school today at 2:00 so I had to go to work early to leave early. Once I get home and early evening, I plan to swim 30-45 minutes though. I need to keep taking advantage of our 95+ temps and my warm enough pool!!!

Plus, I'm eating one of my favorite dishes right now - Portobello Mushroom Pizza. Porto base, 1/4 cup sauce, 1/4 turkey sausage, fresh basil, chopped jalapenos, and 2 oz fresh mozz. Under 200 calories. YUM!!!

Life is good!!!!!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Fitness Frida y - I failed BIG time @ fitness this week. I did ONE yoga workout last night and that was only because I wrenched something in my back and was convinced that would help ease the cramping pains (and it did).

Still trying to work my way out of my funk from a particularly ouchish rejection. It's a slow and tedious process for me. Next week I'm determined to do my darn morning yoga and sleep be damned!

I DID order my bathing suit so I'm a step closer to joining the aquatic club for daily swims. That's the first bathing suit I've bought in.......15 years I think. Very scary but I'm determined to do it. I've always loved the water and find swimming a major stress reliever.
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Fitness Friday - Hit the gym again today! That's 3 days this week! Woot! And I did 1.86 miles in 30 minutes - 6 of those minutes at 5mph! Then I did hit the free weight section again today. It was a lot quieter there today...seeing as it was 330pm :) Although the creeper trainer was there, so I had to keep avoiding him. But other than that, another great workout in the books!

Also, I bought new shoes today (well, 2 pairs of new shoes)! I intended them for work shoes but wore them around the house cleaning and thought I'd take them for a spin at the gym. I love them! They are Ryka brand. They are fitness shoes made for women. Great stuff. I never thought I'd find something I liked better than New Balance but wow - Ryka wins, hands down! Highly recommend them. Even better was they were only 40 dollars at DSW!
  • vinsonh42
    vinsonh42 Posts: 125
    Options
    Friday fitness. glad I worked out last night even though it was very exhausting and hard to push through. Feeling a little better today. Not going to make any promises to my self to work out I am just going to try my best. I will be doing some cooking tonight for my boyfriend his roommate and their friends and none of them want healthy food so I settled on turkey burgers. I will try to get a walk in everyday this weekend or go swimming while at my boyfriends. I think I am just going to let him take my car to work on saturday so I don't have to drive him 20 minutes there then back to the apt then back to pick him up then back to the apt lol. I trust him with my car and it saves on gas. I will be putting a note in there saying he is allowed to be driving my car just in case. I have always been told to do this when someone else is driving it.

Have a great weekend and stay hydrated!!
    ~Lana
  • janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness:

I successfully ran two sets of 10 this morning with only a 3 minute break! I was so shocked that I was able to do it! :D I wasn't even tired. I found the key to success and that is to cover the countdown on the treadmill so I stop focusing on how far I have left to go. I just told myself things like, "After 4 songs, you can check the time" and I would wait 4 and check. It's amazing how fast the time flies when you do it that way.

I'm over on my calories for Friday, but I'm not too worried. I'm thinking about going out dancing at a local bar...no drinks though...and perhaps I'll be able to burn a few off. :) We shall see what he bf wants to do.

Sorry I don't have much time, but we're about to eat dinner. (Porter house steaks, baked sweet potatoes, broccoli, and homemade shells and cheese with cresent rolls) Mmmmmmm... Everyone have a great night. I'll check in tomorrow. :)

~ Jana
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Had a pretty good day at work and went out for a few cocktails afterward. I did come home and take Gunner for a long walk, but those of you who know me, know I almost never work out on fridays during the school year.

Friday Fitness:
    My goal right now is just either get to the gym or a 5k run at least 3x/week. No problem this week, but of course it was only a half-week of work. Next week will be the real test. I'm still running, doing weight machines (focus is on upper body and core for those), and stationary bike.

I just saw a groupon for a stair climbing race at Soldier Field. You can choose to do either 3000 or 6000 stairs. I am intrigued, but the race is in a couple of weeks and I know I won't be ready for that challenge so soon. It's something I'm going to keep in the back of my mind though--for when I need a new challenge. I'm mildly terrified of the stair climber machine at the gym. I see rock hard athletes get on, and 10-minutes later they descend, drenched in sweat. Some day I will attempt it though...
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I went rock climbing tonight and I am already paying for it. My arms and legs are sore. This tell me that I need to start working out with a focus on my arms and legs. I have been slacking for a couple of weeks with more than enough reasons to rationalize my behavior but I only have myself to blame. At least I did drink some extra protein when I got home so hopefully that will help with the sore muscles.

Tomorrow, I will either rest the arms or will work them out lightly to start stretching them again. Then I will get back into using the weight machines and hopefully the free weights to build up those muscles. I also need to get over my fear of steps and going up and down them. Don't get me wrong I can climb steps but when it comes to speed and agility on them I am not comfortable. I have a major fear of falling or slipping down them. Hopefully, I can learn to deal with it and move past it.

Toots thanks for the info on tap dancing. It does sound like fun and I hope it works out time wise.

nicholasvj- I also feel intimidated with the free weights at the gym. Yes, it is mental and my personal block is doing it wrong and therefore I would spend the entire set learning the wrong movements. Which means it would that many sets 28 times to learn the correct behavior.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    I almost forgot! Two good things today:

1. My NoOodles I ordered with my groupon arrived today! I sure hope I like them b/c I have 24 servings worth and they expire Nov. 15th.

2. Got my blood-work results: cholesterol is 222 (down from 247 last summer). Doctor says it's still borderline, but I can stay off my meds b/c she's convinced it will continue to improve as I lose more weight. Also, triglycerides were down a bit (though they've never been bad). One thing that really surprised me is my sodium is way down over the past few years. The website has an option to compare current results with past test results in a line graph. When I did that with my sodium result, I could see a sharp decline over the past few years. Doc has never mentioned sodium levels (probably b/c my BP is so good), but it was nice to see that my nutrition changes have had an impact even though I'm rarely under the 2500mg MFP recommends. Apparently, I was much higher before and never realized it. My only issue is low vitamin D levels, so I need to take a supplement. I bought a calcium/D combo and will try to take it daily--I'm pretty bad at taking vitamins (or any pills for that matter)--I just forget.
  • Annie219
    Annie219 Posts: 110
    Options
    Fitness Friday: Tomorrow is my 5k, so I took a rest day. For dinner, I made spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce and Italian vegetables. I'm nervous for tomorrow, but I'm also looking forward to finishing it.

See you tomorrow!

Annie
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Fitness Friday: Tomorrow is my 5k, so I took a rest day. For dinner, I made spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce and Italian vegetables. I'm nervous for tomorrow, but I'm also looking forward to finishing it.

See you tomorrow!

Annie

Good luck tomorrow!! Just enjoy yourself--races are so much fun!! Can't wait to hear all about it!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

1. My NoOodles I ordered with my groupon arrived today! I sure hope I like them b/c I have 24 servings worth and they expire Nov. 15th.

2. Got my blood-work results: cholesterol is 222 (down from 247 last summer). Doctor says it's still borderline, but I can stay off my meds b/c she's convinced it will continue to improve as I lose more weight. Also, triglycerides were down a bit (though they've never been bad). One thing that really surprised me is my sodium is way down over the past few years. The website has an option to compare current results with past test results in a line graph. When I did that with my sodium result, I could see a sharp decline over the past few years. Doc has never mentioned sodium levels (probably b/c my BP is so good), but it was nice to see that my nutrition changes have had an impact even though I'm rarely under the 2500mg MFP recommends. Apparently, I was much higher before and never realized it. My only issue is low vitamin D levels, so I need to take a supplement. I bought a calcium/D combo and will try to take it daily--I'm pretty bad at taking vitamins (or any pills for that matter)--I just forget.

Excellent news!!! :flowerforyou: I used to be really bad about taking vitamins/supplements too - since my trainer started me on this whole new regimen I've been faithful with it. I never really thought they did anything, but I feel so much better and think so much clearer taking the vat of stuff I take every day. :smile:
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Friday fitness: Hope to get on that bike again this weekend, weather permitting. Rain in the forecast which we desperately need, but dang it, I haven't been on that bike all week due to late nights at school this week! :grumble: I've managed to get the morning and evening doggie walks in which I never even used to do before starting with MFP which was on July 6. Plan to get those doggie walks in no matter what! This week I've been up 2 pounds one day, then down 2 pounds the next, then up 2 pounds again, etc. I think I might have found the culprit! I changed my settings to track sodium, and wow! What an eye opener! :noway: There seems to be a pattern. One day high in sodium = next day up 2 pounds on scales! I'll work on that theory for awhile! :smile:
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: Volunteered for church in a.m. and then took hubby to Dr. in p.m. So when I finally got home about 3:30, I was tired. What do I do when really tired? Sigh. Eat. Don't know why, just do. So, a bag of pistachios later and lots of negative thoughts, I dragged self to gym and worked like a demon (900+ cals burned--about a bag of pistachios to be exact.) Now if only I did that before the nuts. NUTS! :angry:

Reading posts a bit each night, but fighting depression, or something. Please forgive me for not commenting, but I'm trying to pull self out of dumps. Happy for all your NSV's and positive changes. Still cheering you on. :flowerforyou:
  • andreabeatty
    Options
    @Nichols - How is the width on Ryka shoes? I usually only go for New Balance, because I have feet like flippers and they are usually the only comfortable shoe for me.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Great news!!! :drinker:

Do you take magnesium as well? I am also deficient in vitamin D, and my doc said to be sure I take my magnesium so I am better absorbing the D and calcium. Magnesium is such a big deal - I was amazed at how different I felt when I started taking it. Lower stress levels, better quality sleep, fewer migraines.

A good article, if you are interested... http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/magnesium-000313.htm
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    <<<< me with my grand-niece, Aribella. I figured it was time for a new pic--one in which my hair and make-up are done and I'm not covered in mud. :laugh:

@nace--thanks for the tip about the magnesium--I'll check to see if the supplement I bought contains it.

@marsha--glad you popped in; was wondering where you'd been. No worries about not posting--sometimes we all need a break.

Speaking of posting...
    Now that I'm back to work, I will probably go back to only posting personals on the weekends, or if I have something really earth-shattering to contribute to a discussion. Please know I still love you all and am reading your posts for inspiration and support.

Also, for those who joined since my last school year ended, I tend to post my grading "to-do" list. Not b/c I'm complaining or trying to elicit sympathy (I love my job). I started doing it on Tuesday Goal day and it just really helps me get more done--so feel free to ignore the strange lists in my posts. :laugh:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    nicheven - WOOT! 2 lbs. down is something to shake your bootie for!

Naceto - I'd keep up the leg exercises and save Tae bo til you hit a plateau like you're thinking - it looks pretty advanced and your idea sounds like its a good game plan

MyMowmow - my sympathies for your low mood and I hope karma goes to work on the other(s) involved. Congrats on your swimsuit - you'll enjoy swimming so much, the buoyancy of it, everything about it is wonderful.

Laurie - thanks for mentioning to take a little protein after exercising for sore muscles. I haven't been doing that at all. I must start! Can you tell me a little more of the science?

Skinny - oh you made me laugh - 24 servings of noodles and 52 days to eat them :laugh: Oh, oh, oh, and you don't even know if you like them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    BTW - fantastic blood work!

Annie - have a great race tomorrow - stay hydrated and enjoy it!

Grammy - sorry you're blue...HUGS :smooched: ...anything I can do?

Fri Fitness - I got my swim in at 9 pm - for 45 min. this time. It was great. And due to Laurie's post about protein, I ate some almonds afterward. Hope that helps fight off the achy arms I always get the next day.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    @monarchris glad to hear you are feeling better today.
    @Robin great job working on your goals you are doing really good.
    @Anne good luck tomorrow.
    @MyMowmow sorry you are feeling so low. I agree with Robin that Is one of the reasons I really like swimming it helps lift me its just as much for my mental health as my physical health.
    @Skinny 24 serving of noodles
    @Granny hang in there. I hope you feel better soon.

I have been fighting depression too I finally label it I try not too when I get in that cycle when I label it is when I am sliding down hill. Seeing the signs though feeling really burn out a lot with my my job. I think maybe because it mirrors a lot with my home life. My daughter deals with a lot of the same issues. I think it helps me with my job but I wear my heart on my sleeve sometimes I strive to keep a professional space but I still feel many see me or call me mom. lol

Tomorrow happy I get to sleep in a bit and not be up at 5am and sure that will help the world will see like a much brighter place. Plus getting caught up on my house work I get peace from putting my world back in order. I will be taking my advice and be going swimming tomorrow. I wish I could do it more often.

Friday fitness is enjoying a nice walk today with my doggie. We are having some beautiful weather out and enjoying it and of course hoping to go swimming. My daughter does have some errands for me to get her too but that is ok, It gives me a way of encouraging her and hanging out with her too.
    So sorry for I know I am missing someone I get going and forget. (airhead_) And hello to everyone new. Great thread/group to be a part of well worth your time.
    Take care,
    Liz
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    @naceto - thanks for the reply. I appreciate it!

@Annie - Good luck tomorrow! You'll do great!

I have a small NSV to report. Makes me feel better despite the junk. I JOGGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: I still can't believe it! I, ME, jogged. Not very far, but still. I've been terrified to try because of how bad it hurt my shins before, but tonight I was wearing my running shoes (dunno why, just decided on these not my regular tennies), was walking into Wal-Mart with the fam, and decided to jog the last bit, and it didn't hurt!!!!!!! Granted, my jogging is most ppl's fast walk, but that isn't the point. Then, I was headed out to the car to pick up a few things, and decided to see if I could go a few more steps than I had at the store. I jogged all the way to the car!! Again, not far, but that is HUGE for me. Has me wondering if I could handle starting C25K! Not sure I'm ready for that, but I am so happy I can actually start thinking along those lines now. I figured it'd take a lot longer and a lot more weight gone for it to be a reality!

I JOGGED! hehe :flowerforyou: