Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth: I'm really bad at dieting. LOL Oh well, try, try again right?

That might be your problem. Dieting is terrible for you mentally and physically. I've started and failed so many times I can't even count. Until I understand that as cliche as it sounds... it REALLY is about a lifestyle change.

The term 'diet' comes with all kinds of expectations of deprivation and that sets you up for failure. Then, once you fail you start bashing yourself. If you succeed and lose weight through pure deprivation or by removing a specific food group from your diet, you are going to regain that weigh the minute your 'diet' is over.

If I want ice cream, by God I eat ice cream. I just make sure it fits in my day and it's an occasional treat. If I want chips and dip then by God I eat potato chips and onion dip(or tortilla chips and pico). However, I make the chips and dip myself and ONLY make one serving so I control the ingredients and the serving size.

This journey is amazing and believe it or not just as much fun as it is work. All the millions of little NSV(non scale victories) you will discover. The recipes you will create from old favorites so you can still have the things you love.

Sorry for the soap box but really, instead of 'dieting' try just eating healthy and clean while you incorporate some light exercise (increasing in difficulty as you are able to) and the weight loss will be a fantastic side effect that will help motivate you.

I totally agree with this I don't sacrafice real food for junk but if I want or crave something I just fit in into my calories. I also only do a serving size of the item. I remember when I first started seriously with this last year I thought serving size of ice cream (depending on flavor and brand is 1- 2 cups) would never be enough for me I was shock at how much it actually was.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness~I've had a decent week of fitness, I may take tonight off though. I haven't officially decided. I need ot get oil changed and tire rotation on my car, may go see a friend afterwards that had surgery on Wednesday depending on how she is feeling. Heading to the gym early tomorrow morning for a run, then attending nutrition seminar they are holding afterwards and have massage scheduled for afternoon - all this dependent on whether or not I have to work. :sad:

@Karen~Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Have a great time at Lake Geneva!
    had a bit of an NSV when i went and got that license i didn't want to get. after she took my picture she went to her manager and said she had to get clearance on my pic. I asked if something was wrong. i guess they have some kind of machine that does face proportions and she said it no longer matched the last picture so she had to get approval. she said it was usually caused by someone losing or gaining a lot of weight. i wouldn't say it's A LOT of weight, but i guess it's enough to make a difference.

Cool! Its the small things. :smile:
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    Happy Friday-

My fitness plans are as follows:

25-sit ups
    3 reps of 10 on hand weights for arms and back
    Treadmill - Fri, Sat, Sun

I am changing my Jan goals a little here they are:
    Exercise daily in some way
    Make healthier choices

@Lin, Karen, Kelley thanks for sharing your hunger experiences. Karen thanks for showing me the goal in a different perspective.
    @Charolette- It is great to see your back.
    @Toots- Photo story for DL is awesome what a great NSV.
    @Karen- Enjoy your trip with friends.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first started seriously with this last year I thought serving size of ice cream (depending on flavor and brand is 1- 2 cups) would never be enough for me I was shock at how much it actually was.

This is *very* true for me as well. I used to think that one servings of ice cream just wasn't worth the effort. Why bother if I can't have half the pint because THAT was more like a servings. Same goes for pasta. I needed to lay off of it for my diabetes (thankfully that's not an issue any longer) but when I would try to make just ONE servings of 2oz, I didn't think that was enough to make a full meal...regardless of what I put on top of it.

Now that my expectation of servings sizes have changed I look at it and 2 oz of pasta is plenty of food (although I still try to chose pasta shapes that I think makes it LOOK like more) and 1/2 c of ice cream is PLENTY at night. Would I like a little more? Sure, who wouldn't want more really good ice cream? It's enough though.

ALso, these smaller serving sizes have allowed me to buy better quality. When I just cared about quantity I had to get what fit in my budget and that meant generic weirdly flavored ice cream. Now that a pint lasts me 4 desserts I can splurge on something *AMAZING* and really enjoy it.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Fitness Friday: Not an overall bad week. I'm about 90 calories above where I'd like my deficit to be but I'm going hiking on Sunday so that should definitely cover that AND allow me a little extra yum on Sunday.
    Saturday - Walk - DONE - Short one, but done
    Sunday: Day off
    Monday : Walked to the grocery store and back - DONE
    Tuesday: Walk - NOT DONE -Chilled and got ready for going back to work after vacation -
    Wednesday: Walk - DONE - Short one, but done
    Thursday: Walk - DONE
    Friday: Yoga
    Saturday - Walk to the grocery store and back -
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness:: Well I started the C25K on Wednesday (well started again) and well I've been borrowing my parents treadmill..they are now taking it back..well to the office and doing like a little workout room. But now I don't have anywhere to run! Except outside and I'm just not big on that. Guess I will possible look into getting another one somehow.

Also I woke up Thursday morning not feeling well. Sore throat, cant breathe, congested...blah. So was unable to do a workout yesterday. Today is just as bad. hoping to feel better soon!

Have a fantastic Friday everyone!!
    Tina
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    I remember when I first started seriously with this last year I thought serving size of ice cream (depending on flavor and brand is 1- 2 cups) would never be enough for me I was shock at how much it actually was.

This is *very* true for me as well. I used to think that one servings of ice cream just wasn't worth the effort. Why bother if I can't have half the pint because THAT was more like a servings. Same goes for pasta. I needed to lay off of it for my diabetes (thankfully that's not an issue any longer) but when I would try to make just ONE servings of 2oz, I didn't think that was enough to make a full meal...regardless of what I put on top of it.

Now that my expectation of servings sizes have changed I look at it and 2 oz of pasta is plenty of food (although I still try to chose pasta shapes that I think makes it LOOK like more) and 1/2 c of ice cream is PLENTY at night. Would I like a little more? Sure, who wouldn't want more really good ice cream? It's enough though.

ALso, these smaller serving sizes have allowed me to buy better quality. When I just cared about quantity I had to get what fit in my budget and that meant generic weirdly flavored ice cream. Now that a pint lasts me 4 desserts I can splurge on something *AMAZING* and really enjoy it.

That is so very true. I love ice cream could eat it for every meal haven't had any in months but when I buy it I buy what I love because I watch the serving size. I was the same way with popcorn love it but I learned to eat it with no salt and butter at home so I could enjoy when I actually go to a movie. That was an Amazing thing also use share a large movie theater popcorn with butter and marshmellow (shake on topping) with my son and still want more, now I can barely finish a small size popcorn.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    So not to offend anyone I put on my profile I was not accepting new friend requests right now. I want you all to know I will accept new friend requests from people in this group though.

@Tina- Hope you feel better soon. I know there are flu bugs going around like crazy.
    @ Karen- Your new profile pic is cute.
    @MyM0wMow- wish I lived close enough to walk for groceries that would be a plus. Only things by me are Mcd's and gas stations.

I hope to have internet back up and running on Tuesday. Everyone have a nice weekend being I won't be able to access your posts til Monday.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Bumpp
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Tina~Stinks that your losing the treadmill. Are they putting in the office where you work? If so, can you use it on your lunch break? Sorry to hear you're sick, hope it is short-lived and you are feeling better soon.

@Holly~Have a great weekend!

I've been reading again :laugh: and just read this article on weight loss programs - MFP tops out as the best free program. Here is the link to the article: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/weight-loss/top-weight-loss-plans-chosen-real-dieters
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm at starbucks getting some work done before I head up to WI.

@tina--I know it's hard to switch to running outside, but I guarantee you will love it so much more than the treadmill once you make the change. Feel better soon!

@holly--great goals! and I agree with you and kelley about the serving sizes.

@toots--that is an awesome nsv!! :drinker:

Friday Fitness:
    I had a pretty good week other than needing to swap today's for tomorrow due to my trip north.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this article. Thanks for sharing it.
    Since I'm also 5'7" I think this will be my goal weight--only 20 lbs to go! :wink: Seriously though, I weighed about 175 in college but was in the same size I'm in right now. I have a "loose" goal to get to a size 8 (regardless of how much I actually weigh at that point) b/c I've never been in single-digit sizes as an adult (or even as a teen). Of course, I've never been a size 10 either, so maybe I'll be content when I get to that point.
    LOL me too, me too!
    TOOTSANDERSON
    had a bit of an NSV when i went and got that license i didn't want to get. after she took my picture she went to her manager and said she had to get clearance on my pic. I asked if something was wrong. i guess they have some kind of machine that does face proportions and she said it no longer matched the last picture so she had to get approval. she said it was usually caused by someone losing or gaining a lot of weight. i wouldn't say it's A LOT of weight, but i guess it's enough to make a difference.
    Congrats, getting a totally objective proof that your body is improving is so satisfying, I am happy for you!
    I have the same problem. i pretty much never run into issues at the store. it isn't hard to just not buy it. but i can't have that stuff at home or i WILL eat it.
    Now that DH is at his ideal weight he has started buying large amounts of "bad" but he understands the necessity of putting them in a black canvas bag in the pantry. For me, out of sight, out of mind.

FRIDAY FITNESS
    Our weather has thrown a real wrench in my virtual walk plans, first high winds at freezing temperatures, now freezing rain. I am going to virtual virtual walk today. (ie use my WII to log some miles.)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: I will not let this very mild cold stop me from working out today! I have accomplished stage two of my workout plan. I showered (that was stage 1), then I put on my workout clothes, sans shoes (Stage 2!). Stage 3 is letting my hair dry and braiding it up. Stage 4 is socks and shoes, and finally Stage 5 is going out the door!
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    @Tina~Stinks that your losing the treadmill. Are they putting in the office where you work? If so, can you use it on your lunch break? Sorry to hear you're sick, hope it is short-lived and you are feeling better soon.

@Holly~Have a great weekend!

I've been reading again :laugh: and just read this article on weight loss programs - MFP tops out as the best free program. Here is the link to the article: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/weight-loss/top-weight-loss-plans-chosen-real-dieters

I hope this sickness goes away soon too! As for the treadmill, yes it's at my work but I couldn't really use it on lunch because I really work up a sweat when I run/walk on the treadmill and there is no shower...see my dilemma!?
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone, Sorry I missed yesterday, it was my travel home day and of course my plane was late and it was 3 a.m. before I got home. So tired and came home to a driveway full of snow. Hoped that one of my neighbours would have at least cleaned the end of the driveway but no such luck Oh, well, it'll be good exercise to get out there and it'll definitely get me sweating. Haven't had much sleep but I'm determined to get my last day off work off to a good start. I've checked in with my family to let them know I'm home and now I'm putting away the last of my few decorations I put up. Next is get the laundry started which means going up and down two flights of stairs several times then, the dreaded driveway. Isn't it fun to be home!!
    My goal for today is to try to start picking up on my water intake. I've really not been getting more than a couple of glasses a day in so today I'm aiming for 8-10 glasses for a good flush.Have to go grocery shopping since I've been away almost 2 weeks, no fresh veggies in the house. Going to be a busy day so off I go. Hope everyone has a great day and I'll try to check in tonight to let you know what I was able to accomplish. So glad to be back. Charlotte

Charlotte!!!! sooooo happy to see you here....have not seen you in a while!!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Friday fitness: The last 2 days I have been climbing the stairs. 7 minutes is all I can do right now, but I can feel it in the upper muscle of my right thigh so I know it is strengthening my new knee.
    Have a great weekend. I don't have any special plans, but looking forward to it anyway. Kaye
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi guys hope you are all doing well. I am just kinda drifting through the day. Cant kick this headache and now I am dizzy to go with it. Of course when I feel yucky and want my hubby here to cuddle me he is at work. Go figure. Anyway I will c ya all later have a great day.
  • jumpy983
    Options
    For Friday fitness: I technically ran my butt off tonight at work. Normally it's sit down all the way, but tonight was ER SLAMMED. Anywho, I ordered Insanity last night and I'm very excited to have my butt kicked. So does that count for friday fitness? :)
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    soooo close to Onederland - I'm almost scared! But on the sad side, my favorite jeans are too big! :laugh:

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Yay its Friday!!! So for Friday fitness going to be doing more Wii.fitness for now. This is a rather busy weekend and I think that is what I can stick with but if I accomplish more like add more cherries to the top.

@Jt sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope your headache goes away soon.

@Kaye good on seeing results with the stairs. It shows your hard work is paying off.

_@skinny. Me too as far as wanting to finish a meal with something sweet.

@Tina I hope you feel better soon.
    _
    @toots great nsv

I know for getting serving sizes right o must weigh or measure out portions. Getting a little bit better at eyeballing a portion but I don't trust myself yet.

Thank you all wishing you a good evening

Liz