Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Question: sometimes the data base lists foods according to grams instead of cups. approximately how many grams to a cup?

Hi kaye--I missed this question before. I don't think that can convert b/c grams are a weight measurement and cups are a volume measurement.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Sunday share: I'm Kaye, grandmakaye in honor of my favorite roll as grandma to 14 great kids. I am 69 years old, married 48 years and the mother 7 kids with spouses. As you can probably guess, a lot of my life revolves around my family. I also enjoy reading, and all kinds of needlework and sewing. I don't do paint or glue. I started here at the very end of Sept 2012 when my daughter told me that if I really wanted to lose weight, I needed a plan. She knew about MFP and signed me up. I found this thread within a few days, and give the people here a lot credit for keeping me going and keeping me honest. I had my right knee replaced in Oct last year and my left one done just under 4 weeks ago. I have lost the weight by consistently recording what I eat and staying under calorie goal of 1200 calories. My exercise of choice is walking. I don't have any magic tricks, just consistency.
    Today has been a hard day for me. I have felt very tired and both of my knees have been hurting. I have been trying to cut out most of my pain pills, but after today I think that I may be rushing it a bit.
    I'm always here reading all of your successes and struggles. You keep me going. Kaye
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Kaye - there are 28 grams to an ounce, if that helps, Skinny is right though, grams are used as a dry weight. I found this website and the grams per ounce varies drastically depending on how dense the food is. IE shredded coconut is much lighter than Crisco for example.
    Try this site: allrecipes.com/howto/cup-to-gram-conversions/‎
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Monday Check-in~Busy weekend. My sister and her family are in town, so spent Saturday with them. Had a nice day, we spent most of the day at my house playing in the pool and my nephews tortured Zoe some – I’m not sure she knew quite what to make of them. :laugh: Got to the gym both days, my trainer has me on a burst training program (similar to HIIT but a little more intense) – so huge calorie burner on Saturday, then had weight training with him yesterday followed by a 10-minute burst training session at home in the afternoon. It’s exhausting but he thinks it going to accelerate weight loss – we’ll see. He thinks I’m ready to return to running again, fingers crossed – since I'm ~5 months post-injury its probably going to be like starting over. :sad: Got quite a bit of cooking done yesterday, as well. I did try a new recipe that I found on a Paleo site, I will post it sometime before the end of the month.

@Karen~I hope you have a fabulous time!

@Vicki~Awesome on the smaller sizes, a much better measurement than the scale if you ask me!

@Kris~I think that’s a great NSV, doing something for yourself is one of the best rewards!

@Kaye~Look a little more through the database for the foods, you should see other measurements. But like others said, can’t put grams to cups since cups are measured in volume.

@Robin~What an awesome loss!

@Allie~Welcome, you found a great group!

@Laurie~Glad you had had fun at your reunion and turned a few heads. :wink:

@Susan~Try not to dwell on the past or what might have been, just keep pushing forward. Like others have said, you definitely weigh less this year than you did last year - that's a success and something to be commended.

Exercise Goals this week:

Sunday~Trainer and burst DONE! :glasses:
    Monday~Rest Day (possibly short burst session at home)
    Tuesday~Arc Trainer (burst)
    Wednesday~Trainer
    Thursday~Elliptical (burst)
    Friday~Rest day or short burst session
    Saturday~Elliptical/Stairmill (burst)

Have a great day!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Started this morning with high emotions - had to be at my sister's side while she made the decision to put her 16 year old dog to sleep. So this morning a mobile vet came to her house on his way to work and I was there and he was so gentle and kind and he put her elderly dog to sleep right there on the living room floor and then he wrapped her in a blanket and took her away. It was very soft and gentle and simple and kind and so peaceful. We hugged and cried and then we went out and drowned our sadness in donuts at the best donut shop in Omaha p Pettit's Pastry. I had 2 cake donuts with chocolate icing and skim milk. My stomach is rebelling now as the donuts were a tad greasy and now I'm used to eggs for breakfast. This leaves my sister with one other elderly dog that we'll have to face doing this again in another year or two, but it should be much easier now that she knows what to expect.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    @Kaye - Liquid is easy. There are 8 ounces to a cup = 224 grams to a cup = 16 Tbsp in a cup. It's the solids where it gets trickier because they have different weights (as Robin said).

That reminds me that I need to bring my kitchen and bathroom scale into work before I get laid off next month. I can calibrate them one last time.

It was a crummy eating weekend, I was a porker. It was kind of intentional though, it wasn't a matter of eating when I didn't want too.

I finally broke the curse on my 12" saute pan. I had been trying to make low sodium flour tortillas and failing miserably. This weekend I went a different route and tried making Roti instead (for wraps). It worked GREAT and when I used a leftover Roti for a quesadilla it came out so freaking delicious I couldn't believe it. I'm back on my 'A' cooking game. FINALLY, I was getting sick of eating gross food.

A nice mushroom soup for lunch today and tonight I'm doing another awesome quesadilla. IT was too delicious not to repeat! Have my yogurt for breakfast and some canteloupe and a plum for snacks!
  • caramel1920
    caramel1920 Posts: 271
    Options
    Good morning, I have been MIA lately. I have a serious problem when it comes to chip and dip. I'll do great or fairly well all week and when the weekend comes I 'm looking for junk! It's bad because it's starting to make me feel bad physically like I wanna throw up (which would serve me right) but I can't seem to stop myself! Pray for me!
  • kah68
    Options
    Started this morning with high emotions - had to be at my sister's side while she made the decision to put her 16 year old dog to sleep. So this morning a mobile vet came to her house on his way to work and I was there and he was so gentle and kind and he put her elderly dog to sleep right there on the living room floor and then he wrapped her in a blanket and took her away. It was very soft and gentle and simple and kind and so peaceful. We hugged and cried and then we went out and drowned our sadness in donuts at the best donut shop in Omaha p Pettit's Pastry. I had 2 cake donuts with chocolate icing and skim milk. My stomach is rebelling now as the donuts were a tad greasy and now I'm used to eggs for breakfast. This leaves my sister with one other elderly dog that we'll have to face doing this again in another year or two, but it should be much easier now that she knows what to expect.

What a peaceful way to say good-bye to your sister's furbaby. When I lost Cocoa I was devastated for weeks, I thought I would never overcome the grief I felt - nine months later I found myself saying good-bye to Pebbles, while it was easier since I knew what to expect it was still really difficult. My vets (husband/wife team) and their staff are nothing short of spectacular when it comes to having to make those decisions - even sitting on the floor with you when you are a basketcase. I can certainly sympathize with what your sister is going through, big hugs to both of you.
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!! Thought I would drop in with an update. I have been having BP issues but with the help of MFP, I have been able to decrease my sodium and increase both potassium and exercise. With those changes, by the time I got in to see the Dr. my BP was normal!!! Top that off with a 20 lb. loss since I saw him last and he was very happy with our visit! His prescription.... keep up the good work!!!

I am still working on the C25K program and after about 6 weeks still working week 2. Slow progress is still progress though and I have noticed a definite improvement in speed!!! Just waiting for my heart, lungs and legs to be ready for the next week of the program!!!

I have finally started losing again, thanks in no small part to the reduced sodium.... that netted me a 5 lb. loss in 2 weeks!!! And that was with the 4th and all that brings in the mix!!! My whole TOPS group is doing SO well!!! I am SO proud of them!!! Also, my husband and youngest daughter are losing too... collectively we have lost 60 lbs. since April!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!! Know that you are all an inspiration to others that you may never hear from.... weather it is because you are a weight loss guru, you have come back after a back slide, or you simply refuse to give up!!! Thank you all and Keep posting!!!

Marca:bigsmile:
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone long time no see. It has been an insane month and a half but things are pretty much done and back to normal now. I got my husband back off to work yesterday so he will be gone for the next two months. While I will miss him like crazy it is so much easier to maintain a routine when he is at work. When he is home it is go go go and all kinds of projects. I do have to say though that all the work we put into the backyard this last month is well worth it. It is very pretty and a nice peaceful private retreat now. The only thing we didn't do that we wanted was some kind of water feature. I have gained back a couple pounds with all the holidays and the erratic schedule but am confident on getting them back off quickly. I read some of the posts I missed but got overwhelmed by all of them so Decided to just back up form here and get back in the flow with you all. I hope you are all doing well and am looking forward to catching up with you all. Have a great day and dont forget to grab that water:bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: I tried to post some pictures but I am having some size issues
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I’m baaaaack! Did you miss me?:wink: Had some fun, but did not eat to well and should have had more exercise but I was on vacation and had to get along with a pretty large group.

Tlh0407- My brother (the rich one :laugh: ) has been to Danali. I would love to go there.

Mackbeth- Hope you have a great trip to see your Dad on the trail.:drinker:

9ea4920d-25f1-4d32-9dde-8f88ebf58d82_zpsae4e76a4.jpg

2d43aeda-4768-4c7a-bf34-2ed86e64ce3d_zpsdb530faf.jpg

415b79ce-8718-4776-9869-80ed8359e93e_zpsffcbe1bf.jpg

9c8e0269-af0b-4990-af5a-84b8ba301600_zpsb75aa076.jpg

089e3378-4ffe-4012-b3ac-8becef7f5db9_zps4d492f2a.jpg

5c1d13d0-3ad1-41f8-ba9e-50f1c731c70a_zps04890a29.jpg

dddd6be2-15cd-4cac-9adf-a72e8db09464_zpsf0c5de1d.jpg

9985fa30-43df-43d3-9f51-3010ee7a859b_zps068f2bfd.jpg

Quote of the day:- “You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures.” ~Charles C. Noble

Hope you all did well while I was vacationing because I did not.:devil:
  • jtconst
    Options
    Love the pictures Tom. Looks like you had a great time:bigsmile:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Tom- I love the pictures. I want to download some of those rock pictures to use with my students next year. They are simply fantastic.

JT-Welcome back. Glad you got many projects completed. Thanks for the water reminder, very important to stay hydrated. I have discovered SMART WATER which contains the electrolytes without the sugar.

Check in- Today was a good day and it feels good to back on track. I had a great session with my trainer today very intense cardio workout. New challenge is to actually switch up my eating and eat the smallest meal at night and the largest for breakfast. I will try to do this for two days this week. I meet with her again on Thursday so I need to accomplish this goal.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Right now the east coast is in the grips of a major heat wave. In honor of the heat it is time to :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: play water tag:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: . The next three people need to drink 1 cup of water. Drink up.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • jtconst
    Options
    So my first big workout milestone. I live at the top of a hill overlooking a valley with a lake at the bottom. The road leading down to the lake is a long windy steep hill. My son and I walked the dogs down there and let them swim a little bit and then walked home. I was able to do the whole hill with jut two short pauses to bend over and catch my breath. I am so stoked right now.
    Laurie I have been drinking smart water for awhile now. I really like it.needless to say I just got back from my walk so I am chugging down the water as I type this:bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:
  • kah68
    Options
    @jtconst~Awesome NSV!
    @Tom~Great pics, beautiful scenery. Glad you enjoyed your vacation, now back to reality. :cry:
  • AurraSing23
    Options
    I love reading this thread--thank you Robin for starting it, I was just reading how you started it.

Exercise has been nonexistent for me for a long time--just incidental stuff that comes with housework, lawnwork etc. Then, this morning, I just realized as I logged in last night's ballroom class that my fiance and I have gone for 4 weeks in a row. Its only 1 day a week, sadly. But we've got it on the calendar. I am estimating "low" when I log it by saying its "ballroom-slow" since there is a bit of instruction--but last night we worked on waltz, rhumba and salsa and even learned some turns. Its starting to get fun! Today, feeling a pleasant soreness in the muscles.

How often do people weigh here? I weigh myself every morning to check up on myself--going to the doc this thursday for an "official weight". Hope to have good news...but right now I'm retaining water due to soreness, salt & hormones. And I didn't drink enough water yesterday--drinking water is today's objective.

Happy Tuesday! (drinking water)
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Well, I've actually been doing pretty well, just not logging in here. Quick catch up.

@susan - I'm glad you'll get to see your parents soon. I'm sure Cyrus loves his time with them. That has been my favorite part of moving "back home" -- my kids are getting to know my Mom and sisters.

@ Kris -- love that you are learning about yourself and finding your own style

@Karen -- missed you before you left...hope you are having a great vacation (jealous here)

@Laurie -- You'd be surprised how fast the turtles really are, but it took forever to load the 8 turtles and then sometimes when they'd lift the gate, a turtle would get flipped on its back and then they would have to set it all up again. It was fun and my son (who has a turtle -- loved it). Sounds like you had a great reunion and I'm with you on the heat wave. It seems like every time I get in my car lately, that temperature gauge shows something in the 90s. However, surprisingly, it hasn't seen the 100 mark yet (hopefully that happens when I'm at the beach sometime :bigsmile: )

@ Kaye -- could you cut your pain pills in half and get some relief?

@Tammy -- welcome back...sounds like you had a great time with your hubby and productive too!! :heart:

@ Tom -- Denali would have been out of reach for me too, but my Mom treated us kids to a land and sea tour after my dad died. They had always planned to travel in their retirement and without him, she didn't want to go by herself. It was a wonderful time and if anyone can find the time and money, I highly recommend it (although I've told my kids not to count on me being able to afford to take them there -- I don't have a farm to sell :wink: ) Looks like you had a good time -- are all those pictures taken by you? That one with the moon and boat is postcard worthy!!

@ Aurra -- dancing is a great calorie burner!!

AFM -- Apparently I'm going to get back to working out after summer. I realized yesterday that I really only have 3 weeks of summer left here at home. We then go on vacation and the moment we get back, school starts. So I got out my summer bucket list and we're going through it. This week, Emma has two nights of golf lessons, Jacob has his end of the season baseball tournament. We are hitting the beach with friends and then headed to the state fair to take in a Tim McGraw concert and a full day with just the four of us at the rides and exhibits. Luckily, I will get lots of walking in and I'm going to do my best to stick to my calories (or even come in a bit low each day) so that I don't worry at all about the fair food on Saturday.

Hope everybody has a great day!
  • kah68
    Options
    Good Morning.

Tuesday Goals~Just to keep trudging along and keep up with the challenges my trainer is thrusting upon me.

Exercise Goals:
    Sunday~Trainer & short burst session DONE! :flowerforyou:
    Monday~Rest Day DONE! :wink:
    Tuesday~Arc Trainer
    Wednesday~Trainer
    Thursday~Elliptical
    Friday~Rest Day or short burst session
    Saturday~Elliptical/Stairmill
    @ Tom -- Denali would have been out of reach for me too, but my Mom treated us kids to a land and sea tour after my dad died. They had always planned to travel in their retirement and without him, she didn't want to go by herself. It was a wonderful time and if anyone can find the time and money, I highly recommend it (although I've told my kids not to count on me being able to afford to take them there -- I don't have a farm to sell :wink: ) Looks like you had a good time -- are all those pictures taken by you? That one with the moon and boat is postcard worthy!!

I was in Denali last August on a land/sea tour as well - my ticker pic is Mt. McKinley. One of the most beautiful places on earth! Planning 2nd AK vacation to see some different areas but will still go back to Denali, maybe September 2014.

@AurraSing~I don't weigh every day, I find that I can get obsessed with it if I do. I do weigh 2-3 days throughout the week - always on Monday, then Thursday, sometimes one more day just to make sure I'm on track.
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Morning to all,
    Today i had a great workout, i see everyone is busy on their journey.

@Tom, wish i could have fished with yall thats my passion.