Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Alison~It is SO good to see you, we’ve missed you around here! Good luck to you and hubby w the start-up.

@p1xyn1xy~Its great to see you too, welcome back from vacay. Sounds like you have a lot going on, hang in there!

@enzosmama~Cortisone works miracles! Glad your foot is doing better.

@Karen & Laurie~I hope your first days back to teaching are going well and haven’t been too stressful.

@cblue(Lori)~Terrific scale and NSV today! Great job in spin too—spin class always leaves me starving, I burn nothing but glucose in that class! :frown:

AFM~Not much to share today, no gym yesterday since I had to work late and I was dog tired by the time I got home. Worked on updating my LinkedIn profile and napped with Zoe much of the evening—she is such a good snuggler. :laugh: My Friday Fitness is an extended session with my trainer. Since I missed the gym twice this week due to work I’m going to try and go in the morning. Otherwise a pretty typical & busy weekend of cleaning/laundry/grocery store and other running around.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    @toots--I find the whole adoption discussion fascinating.
    Toots: I, like skinnyjeanz, love hearing about China. Forgive me for asking, but do the boys speak English? Tell us more about them. The two books on my Nook are Glitch and Peering into Darkness, my fav. Sequel coming??? I found Rules of Engagement on B&N today!
    Toots- I also like hearing about China and the adaption. Please keep us updated.
    Toots -- so excited for you. I know this has been a long process but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Before you know it your family will have officially grown! I love hearing about the process that you are going through, so you have my permission to keep talking -- it's exciting!!!

Well, I will give you an update then. You can't just go to China. It's not that kind of country. You actually have to receive a formal invitation from the government. So that's what we are waiting on right now. In the adoption world we call it TA, short for travel approval. Once we have that we can make our consulate appointment and that will determine when we will travel. We've been waiting on TA for over a week. Which means it shouldn't be more than another week before we get it. Hopefully sooner. Consulate appointments fill up fast, but we hope to travel on or around September 1st. Currently we are busting our butts trying to find the money for hotel rooms, food, and emergency money. We have managed to come up with enough for plane tickets though, as long as we can keep costs under $5,000 for two round trip and two one way.

The boys do not speak English. The older boy, DangXing, whom we will be calling Jacob DangXing, does speak a very small amount of English. Words like 'hello', 'okay' and 'thanks'. But nothing substantial. The younger boy Han WeiQiang, whom we will be calling Finn HanWeiQiang, speaks absolutely no English. For awhile we were afraid that the boys wouldn't even be able to speak to one another because one is inland and speaks Mandarin and the other is from Guangdong, the dock cities. What is sometimes called 'Canton' where the colloquial language is Cantonese. However, it turns out that they don't speak Cantonese in government run orphanages because Mandarin is official or, as they literally call it, the common language. Cantonese is still spoken in homes there, but it's a family language. In public most people still speak Mandarin. So that's good for them, to at least be able to talk to each other! They say it takes about six weeks for them to start learning a lot of English words.

And as for Into Darkness Peering having a sequel, Grammy, it does. I just am so swamped. I haven't had time to deal with it. Hopefully you can find it on cyber shelves by early next year!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Laurie - I'm so happy for you your test results are all OK and you can exercise with your murmur. :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: its been a shame you've had to worry about it for so long!

pixy - its so good to see you again. Glad your camping adventure went so well. It is a shame about missing the cremation ceremony - such a sad thing to have missed it. Your anxiety levels sound off the charts - if you could scroll back a few pages to my quote post you'll see a bit abut how Willpower is used up and not re-generated - its very interesting - if you can't find it I'll PM it to you. In fact, I will just go ahead and do so.

tvmama - Oh I sympathize with your busy schedule - yep what do we substitute for food. Its so quick and comforting. Not like a luxurious bath and to bed, like I'm sure is impossible at your house. Hey, btw, Its been 4 years here for me and I STILL struggle with fruits and vwggies. Re veggies: I only buy frozen. I only like corn, cut green beans cooked til they are very soft (others say yuck!) and baby broccolli florets cooked the same way with butter on them! thats it in 4 years of trying veggies! SOME PROGRESS, EY? :laugh:

Boho Coast - happy to see you again too! Lovely to keep the English connection alive - wow have you been super busy - I wager the Sci-Fi Con. was fun beyond compare. Did you meet any authors?
    Glad you're on plan and have a weekly schedule of activities -way to go! :flowerforyou:

Brenda - oh sheesh - so many things to do - thank goodness you have a reward dangling in front of you!

Morgori - Tom - did you know you're an ANGEL? Yep! You're an angel amongst a lot of angels right here! :smooched:

enzosmama - welcome - my newest friend! I am impressed you're flexible enough for barre exercises as well as the gym Then you explained your plantar fasciitis - it falls into place. I HOPE the cortisone shot helps! Happy double birthdays to your parents - 99 is a LOT TO CELEBRATE! WOOT! Glad you enjoy your food planning - its so important.

Gdma Kaye - sounds like a difficult day. Your hubby sounds like my traveling friend Terry. He gets worked up about everything and I burn up energy calming him down to a logical zone. I'm very used to it, but there are times when you don't have TIME to do it! Good humor and patience must be a gift you possess! :flowerforyou:

ddas - Welcome in case I hadn't said that before - thanks for sharing such nice memories of biking with your dog - hope you enjoy your first ride on your refurbished bike! Enjoy the sites around you - can't wait to hear how it goes.

toots - forced exercise - well, it really works, doesn't it! I got a kick out of the BAD POETRY stuff , like you poinited out Schroedingers Sex Panther - "So when you open the box maybe the panther is sexy, maybe it's not... " I just cracked up - of course, I'm a fan of The Big Bang Theory which is the only reason I understood this reference! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

cblue (Lori) - 1 LB - WOOT! HAPPY DANCE!!! and congrats on being a faithful poster! With all your body changes, its wonderful you can attempt to get off the antidepressants - best of luck - at least maybe you can reduce dosage a whole lot!

Kah - I Love your painting- such a gift you have! and, as always, I envy your "snuggle" time. I'm sure I'd be less tense if I had that. But, I'm resolved to my life without kittehs for now.

Toots - again - thanks for all the info on your new kids and travel plans - so very exciting!

AFM - my schedule is officially open now thru Oct. 1 - no Drs. appts. FREEDOM! The trip is coming together. Originally we were detouring to Fort Collin, CO to visit a friend but decided to make that a separate trip. Maybe in October or spring-time. I have a great girlfriend therer who can put me up for a few nights.

Also, my sister who's 18 y/o dog died 2 weeks ago, has officially purchased a 6 week-old Maltipoo from a connection 4 hours away. She has to wait 2 more weeks until it can be separated from its Mom. My sis is over the moon with happiness. She couldn't bear living alone! I am so happy for her as well!.
    Trying to get my house in order. Have been "blue" over many things, but have gotten caught up on relaxation and now am able to tackle my built up projects one-by- one.
    Gonna list them and hopefully shame myself into getting these things done before vacation:

Replace eyeglass lens
    Assemble 2 bedroom lamps from Target or return them
    Pick up new camera from Walmart
    Look for you-tube video on how to fix dishwashing machine problem -
    - then go to store and buy the right tool -
    - then fix dishwasher and empty out the dishsoap I accidently poured in it!
    Sat- go to airport and check out SUV's for trip for comfortable seats
    - report info back to Terry and get SUV reserved for trip
    SUN - 9 am breakfast for brother's birthday
    SUN - 10:30 sister my house help repot huge houseplant (my back can't handle it)
    Get 3 packages ready for return mailing to each diff. location
    Mail 3 packages -
    Clear off dining table - find place to store pop etc.
    Volunteer for Condo's garage sale Sept 6 -
    Sept. 5 Box up small items for garage sale as well as folding chair
    DAILY - wash dishes by hand until D/W fixed - don't let sit! UGH!
  • aprilshowers0417
    aprilshowers0417 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hello to all! here at work , trying to convince myself i don't need a candy bar/by reading thru the site i am convincing myself that my head needs to shut up. hope to resume exercising this weekend got off track on vacation. walking hrs in the sweltering florida sun about did me in. however, it did prove to me that losing weight is possible:) my sister made sure that our food choices were limited and walking for hours was necessary so i guess i need to thank her. hope everyone has a blessed weekend. i am going to go get busy and get that little candy demon off my shoulder.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Boho/ Allison- Welcome back. It is great to hear from you again, you have been missed.

p1nxy- Welcome back from vacation, sounds like you had a great trip.

Toots- Hope you get the travel approval soon.

Robin- Thanks for sharing your story about the challenges you have faced this past year. Glad your are free of doctors appointments for now.

Kah/Kelley-Glad the session with your trainer went well.

I had a relaxing day so far and now off to go rock climbing. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kah!
    Thanks for the note Ellen! It's an interesting article. Nobody's at home ever said I lack "willpower":wink: , it's just whether I desire to exercise it. lol!

Eating and exercise is back on track for the last few days. But now I need to go play with the kidlets. I promised. :smooched:
  • VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello - May I please join your thread?
  • ddas66
    ddas66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Newbie here- I posted yesterday to introduce myself but this is my first "real" post. Excited to be here!

Fitness Friday: I have been taking barre fitness classes which I LOVE. I can feel myself getting stronger, and I am sore in places I never knew existed. I started out at 2x/week but recently upped to 3x/week (Tuesday nights, Thursdays during lunch break, Saturday mornings) LOVE IT. It's challenging and kicks my butt.

I also go to the gym- not as often as I would like, so I'm working on that. I've been dealing with some plantar fasciitis since Nov so I can't run/walk much but I'm getting used to the Expresso bike and also swimming. I did get a cortisone shot in my foot last week and am going back to the podiatrist today to get my new custom orthotics fitted. Physical therapy f/u on Monday, and I'm hoping I can get the clear to start C25K again. My foot is definitely feeling better since the shot!

Prepping for weekend eating- I actually tend to do pretty good on the weekends. I keep my breakfast/AM snacks the same as I do during the week. We have lots of healthy stuff on hand for lunches. I do need to go grocery shopping and plan dinners for the next week. I am taking my parents out to lunch on Sunday to celebrate their birthdays, going to the 99, so checking out the menu and planning my order in advance so I'm prepared.

For me, failing to plan really is planning to fail.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

Welcome and congrats on the weight lose thus far. I am a newbie to MFP too and am loving it. Keep up the awesome workouts.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies. This is one of the best things on MFP. It helps me everyday.
    Lori
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Toots~Hope your travel approval to China comes soon!

@Zaxie~You join by posting, welcome! :wink:

@Laurie~Enjoy rock climbing tonight

AFM~Had PR on deadlifts tonight--135#, 3 sets of 8. Then lots of biceps/triceps work and some legwork--followed by the sauna. It feels so good to be back in the zone with my weight lifting again. :bigsmile: Tonight I'm just going to chill at home, maybe watch So You Think You Can Dance from Wednesday (my summer guilty pleasure).
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm so far behind and I'm leaving early in the morning to visit my oldest daughter. I survived Missouri again, but had a stress induced pity party in the hotel one evening complete with Doritos. Ugh.

I'll get caught up on the thread and get personals going when I get back on Sunday.

Have a good weekend all!

August Challenge - At or under daily calorie goal 18/22

Good Days: 18
    Not so Good Days: 2
    Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days: 2
  • tvmama
    tvmama Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    RobinsEgg - thanks for the sympathy re: busy days and other rewards! Yeah, bubble baths do not happen around here. But some novel reading could or ... what else can we use as a reward to replace food? How have others dealt with this issue - using food to "reward" oneself for surviving the stresses of everyday life? About veggies - the crazy thing is that I generally like a lot of veggies. I just like dessert better :)

Friday Fitness - I've been swimming laps 4-5 times a week all summer, but just got TIRED this week and didn't go. And was much more easily frustrated by my kids as a result. Heading back to the pool tomorrow morning.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Friday Not-so-fitness: No cardio today, too busy, but tomorrow's workout with the trainer will make 5x this week. A definite improvement over the last few months. I am feeling much better than I have all summer, surely because I'm eating better and more dedicated to moving my creaky hinges. :wink: Oh, and thanks to Advil!

RobinsEgg: Your to-do list is impressive, but I'm betting you can knock it out. The dishwasher thing alone would finish me.

toots: I'm happy to hear there is a sequel, but sure understand why you might not get to it for a bit. Thanks for the adoption and trip up-date. I envision little signs and post-its all over your house with identifying words and phrases. What an exciting/crazy time you'll be having...and I mean that in a positive way!

Finished Queen's Gambit and searching for another way to escape reality (cleaning out garage-ugh) besides eating chocolate. Procrastination is my middle name.

22/22 days under goal...but it's getting close!

Good night from the sizzling south.

GW>Marsha
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    ]AprilShowers - how did the fight with the candy demon go? Thanks for sharing your struggle with us! It does take a lot of mental - thinking - and diverting your thoughts, doesn't it? Hope the angel side won!

Laurie - does your rock climbing still include going across the jutting out parts where you are sort of upside down? I remember that made you uncomfortable.

Zaxie - yep you joined us today - welcome!

ddas - great attitude!

Kah - amazing weight on those deadlifts! :drinker: My TV thrill is Americas Got Talent !

LivesTT - sorry you had a bad nite in the hotel - but not an uncommon occurence! Your doing so well on the August Challenge!

tvmama - ooh, you like to read? Such a cool reward for yourself. Finding time must still be difficult though, but keep trying! And your a swimmer - good for you! I have pool access but need to get my butt in gear - so I'll add it to my big list!

GWhammy - Its nice to hear you comment you feel better than all summer due to your increased activity and watching what you eat. And of course, I'm a big Advil fan too (generic of course!) Let your experience be an example for all of us, newbies and re-starters alike!

AFM - I checked online for a solution to my dishwasher problem and after watching many you-tube videos it turns out to be a HUGE JOB to do myself. Requires removing the whole door and panels and deconstructing everything. Since my microwave is the same brand and needs 2 filters replaced that also are a hassle I'll call a local repairman and spend some money on the problems. Hate to resport to that but wont use an official brand rep but a local repairman who's just certified in this brand. Whew!.

August Challenge: 22 days - good days are only about 12 - not so good days are 10.

Replace eyeglass lens
    Assemble 2 bedroom lamps from Target or return them
    Pick up new camera from Walmart -DONE
    Look for you-tube video on how to fix dishwashing machine problem - DONE
    - then go to store and buy the right tool - WILL HIRE DONE
    - then fix dishwasher and empty out the dishsoap I accidently poured in it! WILL HIRE DONE
    Sat- go to airport and check out SUV's for trip for comfortable seats
    - report info back to Terry and get SUV reserved for trip
    SUN - 9 am breakfast for brother's birthday
    SUN - 10:30 sister my house help repot huge houseplant (my back can't handle it)
    Get 3 packages ready for return mailing to each diff. location
    Mail 3 packages -
    Clear off dining table - find place to store pop etc.
    Volunteer for Condo's garage sale Sept 6 -
    Sept. 5 Box up small items for garage sale as well as folding chair
    DAILY - wash dishes by hand until D/W fixed - don't let sit! UGH! FRI- NOT DONE!
  • tvmama
    tvmama Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    RobinsEgg - I do love to read, but I kinda read for a living (I'm a professor), and I'm just whipped at the end of the night. I find I only have an hour late at night to do anything for myself. This is a major challenge for me. We start classes next week, so I'm bracing myself for the onslaught of work. I need something quick to replace the quick fix of a candy bar, cookie, whatever. Maybe I should just check in here before I grab those stupid little bites of calories!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth & Friday Fitness: Well, I completely derailed this week. For a solid two weeks, I was as perfect as could be. I guess I want to blame work for my poor food choices and lack of exercise. I keep making the same excuse. Yes, I worked about 60 hours this week and basically doing two jobs right now trying to coordinate our National Franchise Convention the end of September. I haven’t gained, which is a miracle, but definitely haven’t lost any more either. I’m going to use this weekend to get myself back on track.

@ GrandmaKaye – Nice job on the physical results. You’ve worked hard and deserve those numbers. As others can attest, the weight will come off slower and slower the closer to get to goal. You’ve got this!!

@ ebailey – I like the McDonald’s cones. Normally, their ice cream is creamy, which I like and it’s just the right size for 170 calories. Also, I was sorry to hear about your uncles passing. Thoughts and prayers to your family during this difficult time.

@ Skinny/Karen – Thanks for the encouraging words a few days ago. Unfortunately, I haven’t been on since and the rest of the week wasn’t much better. I’m OK though and looking forward to preparing next week. When I’m prepared, I do so much better.

@ GrammyWhammy – Harp lessons sound very cool. Good for you! It’s so important to do something you’ve always wondered about. Can’t wait to hear how the lessons go.

@ Brenda – I was never a big shake person, but have definitely been having them lately. I use Pure Protein with Almond Milk either Light Vanilla or I really like the Dark Chocolate then I use the Frosty Chocolate powder for chocolate heaven. There’s 25 grams of protein and it really keeps me full all morning. Milk, 5 cubes of ice and a scoop of powder in my Ninja then I’m ready to go.

@ RobinsEgg/Ellen – For me, the will power comment was right on target for me. I truly have a lack of it that’s for sure. I’m trying not to make excuses, but it does make sense. Also, your blog post was not boring, but heart felt. Thank you for sharing your journey.

@ Teresa_3266 – I like the Quest bars and they’ve got so much protein. I can only eat them heated though in the microwave especially the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – so good warmed up!! While they can be pricey, I see them as a meal replacement so not too worried about the cost.

@ Kah68/Kelly – You’re the next Picasso!! LOL! I love the picture of Zoe. I’ve heard those paint classes can be really fun. I thought about doing one with a girlfriend soon. Of course, I can’t even draw stick people straight so I’m sure my picture would be just lovely. NOT!! I’ve also enjoyed SYTYCD. There’s some really talented folks out there.

@ Laurie – I’m so glad to read your post about the test results – great news!!

@ p1zyn1xy – Thanks! I’m glad you guys had a good trip. It sounds like a lot of fun.

@BohemianCoast/Allison – Great to see you!!!

@ cblue315 – Good job on your numbers. I’m really proud of you for keeping pushing along. It was a wonderful post and you’re taking control of your life – love it!

@ Toots – Thanks for the update! So the boys are not brothers? I’m so happy for you guys and cannot wait to hear more about your journey ahead.
  • KettyLoyd
    Options
    To lose 100 pounds the right way you must reverse the inflammatory fat, this is the dangerous fat this is linked to heart disease, cancer and diabetes. Avoid the commercial diets they do not work.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome backs chaps! Not going anywhere this time.

@TVmama: That "I can give myself a break with food" is really the most dangerous thing. I've been doing that too -- until about six weeks ago when I decided I couldn't afford any more of that thinking. I've been stable since then which is a lot better than gaining. But now to lose! I think "check in with Robin's Thread whenever you think you fancy a chocolate bar" could be a monthly challenge, you know.

@Teresa: I'm sure that real food is a better bet than meal replacement shakes and bars -- they're often so expensive too!

@Betty: I found that MFP telling me "1200 calories" was the thing that caused me to fall off the wagon the last time. I just don't think I can cope with a target being that low.

@Kelley: That is a fantastic picture of your cat!

@Toots: the Worldcon is mostly a lit-con, run entirely by volunteers. We had lots of people whose expectations had been formed by Comicon and the like, asking how much authors charged for autographs or who got to go to the Hugos (nothing and everyone). In the US there are lots of large regional conventions though.

The adoption sounds amazingly exciting and very close now! Your boys will be speaking English in no time.

@Robin: The con was quite a lot of fun but also rather hard work! I met quite a lot of authors for the first time; in particular the lovely Mary Robinette Kowal, who won a Hugo and brought it to the pub the other day. I also had a chat with 5th Doctor Peter Davison but didn't quite have the nerve to say hello to his son-in-law, David Tennant.

Welcome newbies!

My hair is purple now! New profile pic coming soon.

Saturday Success: well, I'm back!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Sleep issues still plaguing me. Up at 2:45 this morning. Ate two bowls of Captain Crunch for breakfast. That used to be one of my binge foods. Only I used to eat 1/2 box. I can still do well the rest of the day. I should track it but feel really guilty. :blushing: I will decide later.

Today is my first rest/recovery day in quite a while. Not sure what to do with myself if I don't go to the gym in the morning.

Love to all,
    Lori
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Happy Ride the Wind Day
    When : August 23rd
    Ride the Wind Day is a carefree day to soar above the earth. You can catch a ride with the breeze, or float along slowly like a gentle, late summer cloud.
    Summer will soon be over. Catching the drift of this day is easy. Just relax, and let the wind carry you away in whatever direction it is blowing. Leave your troubles and worries behind for a spell, as you waft in the air.
    Here are some great ways to enjoy Ride the Wind Day :
    • Fly in an airplane
    • Fly a kite
    • Parachute
    • Hang glide
    • Take a motorcycle ride
    • Hope in a sailboat, and go for a ride
    • Just kick back and enjoy one of the last days of summer

“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” ~Robert J Collier

Tom