Options

Replies

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Kelley (Kah68)- nice painting of Zoe!

Happy Pluto Demoted Day!
    August 24, 2006 was a sad day for Pluto. Formerly known as a planet, Pluto was downgraded to a dwarf planet that day. August 24 is now recognized as Pluto Demoted Day. Use the day as an opportunity to learn about Pluto, its new status and its connection to central Illinois.
    Although Pluto is no longer a planet, there are still many interesting facts to learn about it. Pluto was discovered in 1930. Until 2006, it was classified as the ninth planet in our solar system. Pluto cannot be seen without the use of a telescope, and not much is known about what it is like. In 2005, NASA sent New Horizons, an unmanned spacecraft, to Pluto, but it will not approach Pluto until 2015. The dwarf planet has a tilted orbit, and at times in its orbit, it is closer to the sun than Neptune and Uranus. It takes Pluto 249 years to make one trip around the sun.
    These days, Pluto is regarded as a dwarf planet. To qualify as a dwarf planet, an object must be fairly round and orbit the sun. Unlike a planet, a dwarf planet has not cleared the area around its orbital path. Also, it is not a satellite, also known as a moon. The decision that cost Pluto its planetary status also outlined three categories of solar system objects: planets, dwarf planets and small solar system bodies.
    Although Pluto is no longer considered a planet, its discovery was still significant, and Illinoisans have a connection to that discovery. Clyde Tombaugh, the man who discovered Pluto, was born and raised in Streator, Ill. in the early 1900s. He did not find Pluto until 1930, long after he'd left the area, but it was in Illinois that he first became interested in astronomy. In an interview with the Academy of Achievement, Tombaugh explained that he became quite interested in geography during his elementary school years in Streator, and that interest led him to wonder what the geography of other planets was like. In addition, his uncle who lived nearby had a telescope, and with that telescope, young Clyde was able to observe Saturn's rings, the moon's craters and the moons of Jupiter. Illinois residents can appreciate that Tombaugh's time in Illinois had an influence on the discovery of Pluto.
    On August 24, take a minute to remember Pluto, even if it is just a dwarf planet. And while you're at it, remind your children that the things they learn in their childhood have the power to take them awfully far in life. If you pursue your interests and gain as much knowledge as you can, you never know what amazing things you might discover.
    Pluto is a planet again! (in Illinois)
    Pluto was excommunicated from the planet world in 2006. Now, the Illinois state senate has decided that the excommunication vote was invalid and that it will reinstate the planet.

“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ~Wayne Dyer

Tom
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sunday share: for everyone who's joined since I left. I'm Alison, I'm 49, and I live with my husband and children in a rather shabby house in East London, a stone's throw from the Olympic park. I'm not working at the moment but I continue to study, and I have started to apply for occasional jobs. At the moment I'm trying to finish off the second quiz on an MIT course in structures, having skipped the last three weeks of study during the build-up to Loncon 3, the World SF convention, which happened last weekend and which I helped organise. But I'm still tired all the time, and my exercise took a real hit. I'm trying to get back into it but it's slow going.

@Tom: well, I missed 'Ride the Wind' day in favour of 'rest and sleep day'.
    @Brenda: I get so annoyed by people like this; everyone can look great whatever their size.
    @Jeanette: how exciting! I'm going to vote girl. Remember the definition of grandparents -- "people who love your kids although they're not sure you're raising them right." It's just starting early...
    @Erienne: 12 toddlers! I always got exhausted running around after one at a time.
    @BettJo: I think kale is pretty indigestible raw, but it's delicious cooked. Just try a little next time.
    @Toots: spotting the Doctors was pretty lucky for me because they were only there for the awards ceremony and the pre-reception -- and I got to go to the reception because I was on the organising committee. Somewhere there's a photo of our Chair with both of them!
    @Karen: I have friends who work on Chicon; it is indeed a big, general con. Hope you enjoy the Supernatural con; I've never seen that show but I know lots of people who like it.
    @Kaye: so glad to hear you are still keeping up with your walking!
  • Kp203N
    Kp203N Posts: 22
    Options
    I honestly think we need a group instead of a thread for here lol :). It's krisn30. i made a new account and tried to see about the sparkpeople site. I didn't like it at all. I just needed to find some good support and goals that i could count on. I didn't like how the other site did. Anyone else had that problem? Did they try sparkpeople? I mainly use the site as a support and guide (i mostly do everything on my own instead of using the computer so much. just easier for me.)
  • VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hellloooooo! This is my first proper post I guess so Ihope I get it right.

I am from NZ, so it Monday morning for me.

This week was my first week back on MFP, and I promised myself I would worry only about getting exercise back on track, and on cutting out those nasty sugars that have no nutritional value (like coke, chippies etc). I have done that so I am super happy with that and on the right track.

I am really proud that I started C25k and have stuck with it - I have social anxiety and stepping out to run in front of people was terrifying for me!

I did let myself down a bit with eating too much a couple of days, but as Im getting used to exercise again Im not too fussed about that just yet - Ill give myself a couple of weeks to get it together! The main thing was that when I did eat over the 1200cal limit, I stuck to all the right foods - veges, fruits, and protein/fibre.

I still have had no sugary drinks but in order to do that I have had to cut out all coffee - I just cant do it bitter and I hate artificial sweeteners! So I guess coffee has become a 'treat' food for me now.

Thank you for having me, hope I did this right!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to everyone - sounds like all are progressing well.

JTConst - nice to see you back!

Zaxie - congrats on a great post and yes, you did it right. Wow, you have a great starting plan, just working on your exercises to start and waiting to focus on counting the calories a bit later. Great job cutting out the sweetened drinks. I feel really sorry you had to give up coffee though, I would really die if I couldn't have my morning cup of java! I load it with artificial sweetener, the blue colored packets. I find New Zealand a beautifual country and its Maori people (and their tattoo's) quite interesting. I've never been there but was once in Hawaii and went to a show about all the islands in the Pacific and there was a show about NZ that really taught me a lot so I read more later. I hope to visit there someday. ....uh...:love: .....I can dream, at least!

Skinny - glad you're happy with your race results. I do enjoy how you re-calculated your times and "saw the light" - it reminded me though, like a horse-race, you didn't give yourself any time for a "muddy track" - so you should have! I think once your in NYC the tunnel will not be as daughting as it may seem as it does now. You will be surrounded by so many pumped up people that their "SPIRIT" will collectively carry you along even if your knees are knocking!

AFM: still working on my list and many other lil errands but accomplishing a lot!

Replace eyeglass lens
    Assemble 2 bedroom lamps from Target or return them
    Pick up new camera from Walmart -DONE
    Look for you-tube video on how to fix dishwashing machine problem - DONE
    - then go to store and buy the right tool - WILL HIRE DONE
    - then fix dishwasher and empty out the dishsoap I accidently poured in it! WILL HIRE DONE
    Sat- go to airport and check out SUV's for trip for comfortable seats -DONE - found 3 acceptable
    - report info back to Terry and get SUV reserved for trip -HE WILL DO
    SUN - 9 am breakfast for brother's birthday -DONE - I WAS On-TIME TOO!
    SUN - 10:30 sister my house help repot huge houseplant (my back can't handle it) - DONE- SHE WAS TERRIFIC HELP!
    Get 3 packages ready for return mailing to each diff. location -DONE
    Mail 3 packages - DONE
    Clear off dining table - find place to store pop etc. DONE
    Volunteer for Condo's garage sale Sept 6 -
    Sept. 5 Box up small items for garage sale as well as folding chair - STARTED
    DAILY - wash dishes by hand until D/W fixed - don't let sit! UGH! FRI- NOT DONE! -WRONG -DID VERY LATE! DONE SAT,SUN

NEW:
    return (fail) clothes to Shopko, and Kohls
  • VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words! We love this country and open our doors to anyone who wants to come and visit! So if you ever need a bed, you know where to look!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Sunday Sharing -
    Today is a 180 from yesterday. I do not think I will take rest/recovery days on the weekends. I am too task driven and when I do not have a lineup I get lost.
    RPM, BodyPump, 1 mile swim this morning. First week of this lineup but went really well and did not feel guilty about the big burger at the picnic today. Sensible dinner planned; grilled veg and pulled pork.
    Fitness plan for the week
    Monday - core 30 min, resistance WO 50 mins, swim 30
    Tuesday - WO with trainer, swim 45
    Wednesday - Total body fitness class 60 mins, swim 30
    Thursday - WO with trainer, swim 45
    Friday - RPM 60 mins, swim 45 mins
    Saturday - core 30 mins, BodyPump 60 mins
    Sunday/Monday - A conundrum as there are no classes on Sunday or Monday bc of Labor Day holiday
    I will work this out before then as I do not want another Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day next weekend.

Feel I will be ready for the triathlon next year. I will be talking to the doctor this week about meds, fitness goals.

Love to all, welcome to newbies.
    This is one of my safe havens.
    Lori
  • littleshadowfeet
    littleshadowfeet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share as I try to get back into the swing of things... I'm Heidi from Eastern Canada. I work in daycare - "support staff" is my title and what it means is that I cook each day for 57 kids, clean up after everyone in the center, and also cover lunch hours in the pre-k and infant rooms. I am the mom of two boys, ages 9 and almost 13. Battling ongoing health issues with a chronic ankle injury and as-of-yet-undiagnosed sinus issue. Racewalking is my sport, we're about halfway through training for our second half marathon of the year (Oct 26th). DH was just dx'd with an autoimmune disease over the summer and as of tomorrow I am trying to adjust to the "hypoallergenic elimination diet"... which basically means we'll all be eating a lot of chicken and lettuce for the next little while. :tongue:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    @Toots: spotting the Doctors was pretty lucky for me because they were only there for the awards ceremony and the pre-reception -- and I got to go to the reception because I was on the organising committee. Somewhere there's a photo of our Chair with both of them

That IS lucky!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Toots I am so happy you are getting this chance to grow your family. Those boys are going to be very lucky to have you for a mom:love:

Thanks! But we feel quite the opposite. That we are very blessed to be in the position to make them our sons!
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: I've been around for a while, but for those who can stand to read this (again), I'm 65, originally from Maryland, but had 13 homes from coast to coast, and have lived in TX for the last 24 years. Children (3) are grown, though one lives at home, and daughter's family (4 fab grands), live in Utah. Hubby retired 14 years ago and is now in poor health. Despite all that I visit the grands several times each year. Volunteer and church work fill my days, plus I substitute in a medical office. My sister and bil are my travel companions, since hubby can't travel, and we're visiting family in Maryland in October and then on to Ireland/Scotland in June (part motivation for a more healthy weight). Sis was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago, and these will probably be our last trips together. :frown:

A moment's panic last night. My mouse and keyboard would not work, despite lots of hocus pocus and new batteries, so I had to rush out to get new ones. Can't miss logging!!!

Someone, Brenda?, (can't go back to see who w/o losing post) asked if I have a harp. No. They're very expensive, so I will rent a small one when I begin lessons. Goal is to learn a few carols by Christmas. Hope I'm not all thumbs.

Doing battle with squirrels right now. Yesterday I discovered the beasties were biting off my hibiscus blooms JUST BEFORE they open. Aarrgh! Then, this morning I discovered they've chewed the ties off a lawn chair cushion and tried to gnaw into the cushion through the corner seams. With all the acorns in my yard, you think they'd leave my furniture alone. Going to sprinkle red pepper on everything. Let's see how they like a little TexMex flavor!

24/24 under goal (so far, the day is still young.)
    Water jogged 3 miles today! Great fun to jog to the oldies.

Super Sunday to all.

GW>Marsha
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Wow, I think it's been over a week since I've been on here. My August is not ending on a good note food/exercise wise. I think the last time I posted I was going kayaking. Well it was a 26 km paddle, I could not keep up in the kayak so traded into a canoe but had to pull the kayak behind us with a 122lb kid in it for most of the way (I learned to paddle a canoe that day too). Anyway my neck and shoulders have been sore all week, I've taken Advil every day, and my friend insisted I keep the kayak for a few extra days amd practice. Which I did, so now I am better at kayaking but still sore. My foot I had pain in is still here, so I'm not counting steps or going hiking. Turning into a bummer of a month for exercise, and I'm not counting calories either. All my fault. I'm lazy. But come September when I start back at physio it will fall into place. I hope.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Grammy- Where in Maryland are you are you from? What part will you be visiting in October? I live in Annapolis, MD (Anne Arundel county) so if you are anywhere nearby maybe we can get together. I also work 5 minutes from BWI airport so that could meet around there depending on what airport you are using.

Lori- We will be preparing for a triathlon together. I am looking forward to training for the event.

Kaye- Glad you are able to go on a long walk again. I need to get myself out walking tonight as well before it gets dark.

I will be back later, I need to take a walk since I have been very lazy today.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! It's been a long weekend at work and I'm exhausted. Good news is that I have had some really good sales and have made my quota so I don't have to worry about seeking new employment for at least another month. :bigsmile:

My eating and exercise have been weak and sloppy!! I have been half-hearted all week and my .4 lb loss is the result. At least it wasn't a gain!!! :ohwell: I am going into tomorrow with a renewed mind and plan to muster up as much willpower as I can get. Yes I read that post about willpower! :wink:

Sunday share: My name is Teresa. I'm 48 years old and live in Georgia. Go Dawgs!!! :drinker: Seriously, I don't give one flip for football but this town seems to live for it! I am married to the most incredible man who I met 10 years ago on the Internet. There is no doubt in our minds that God brought us together and we feel blessed beyond words that we have each other. We bought a house 2 1/2 years ago and renovating and decorating has been a passion for us. Our kids are grown and gone so the house is our baby. It's a cute little white Victorian bungalow (a replica in a new neighborhood) and we have very modern taste, so the outside doesn't match the inside all that much. We think that is kind of fun and quirky. :tongue:

My husband is a retired English professor who spends his days taking care of our house, volunteering at our church, and writing. He is a gifted writer who really should publish something!! I am a furniture sales manager with a fairly large furniture chain. I didn't plan this career but here I am and for the most part I love it. I love the customers and selling stuff they want. I hate the competitiveness of sales that can bring out the nasty in people. It's something I have to fight against every.single.day!

That's it for this week.

I welcome all the newbies!! :flowerforyou:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Another weekend gone in a flash! But, luckily next weekend is a 3-day weekend!!! :bigsmile:

I got a late start yesterday, slept in for once—after I got moving I went to the gym and worked on some zone training. Worked out on the stairmill, treadmill and spin bike—good workout. Then it was off to do some shopping and other running around—didn’t work on projects around the house that I meant to. :frown:

Had a session with my trainer this afternoon, little did I know that after the 3 miles I put in on the treadmill yesterday he had the same in store for me today only with more running than I did yesterday. :ohwell: Then it was bench press, new PR at 115#--after two successful sets we tried 135# but after only one rep I failed. :frown:

Sunday Share~I’m Kelley, 45 and originally from upstate NY—moved to Texas 18 years ago and haven’t looked back. I much prefer the heat of August in Texas than the cold of January in NY. :laugh: I’m an accountant in the healthcare industry and have been with the same company since moving to Texas—currently working with a career coach and putting out some feelers for other opportunities, though. I've been on this weight loss “journey” (as I call it) for many years—I lost about 75# on WW and then it quit working, so in 2012 I started using MFP and shortly thereafter, found this great thread and have continued to lose. I've had a few setbacks with injuries and subsequent surgeries that have stalled my weight loss over the last couple of years, but I keep pressing on—my goal weight is in the cross-hairs, so the potential to reach it in the next 6 months is attainable. This thread, along with my personal trainer, is a great support system for me and I've made some great friends along the way--I look forward to checking in here every day. Other things about me—I don’t have any hobbies to speak of but I’m active in my church, I love to travel (mostly by cruise ship—next up Canada/New England in October) and have a high-spirited Maine Coon, Zoe, who adopted me almost two years ago. :love:

I have a lot going on this week but here are my exercise goals:

Sunday~Trainer DONE!
    Monday~Rest Day (Church meeting)
    Tuesday~Trainer
    Wednesday~Cardio
    Thursday~None or Elliptical at home (dentist appt)
    Friday~Trainer
    Saturday~Cardio

No personals tonight, as this day got away from me—but I will catch up with them soon. :heart:

Have a great night!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

@krisn(kp)--welcome back! :flowerforyou: When I first started MFP, I looked at a few other sites--sparkpeople and fatsecret--but I didn't like them as much. We all discussed turning this thread into a group a couple of years ago when the "groups" feature was first added to MFP, but we decided we liked this format better.

@robin--yes, my hope is that the excitement of the race atmosphere overrides my anxiety about the tunnel. It's not like I'm claustrophobic or anything, I just worry about tripping due to lessened visibility and the air flow isn't quite as good, so it's a little harder to breathe easily. I'm sure I'll be fine, though I suspect I will go a bit slower than usual--worst case scenario is I will end up walking through the tunnel.

@marsha (grammy)--do you want to borrow gunner? He LOVES chasing squirrels. :laugh:

@teresa--it sounds like you are still doing pretty good since the scale is still moving in the right direction. Remember, we can't be perfect all the time. You will get back on track this week. :smile:

@heidi (littleshadow)--good luck with the elimination diet.

@lori--one thing I love about my current gym is that it never closes. When I used to go to the community center, it would close for all holidays which meant when I had some extra time to work out, I couldn't. :grumble: I know you will figure something out for next weekend though. If nothing else, maybe take it as an opportunity to try a workout video at home--there are a lot of them on youtube you can sample for free.

@tanya--sometimes we all need a break from the routine of exercise and counting calories. Sounds like you are taking advantage of the month off of physio to just be lazy. Not a terrible thing, and you're right, you'll be back on track next week. :flowerforyou:

@zaxie--we've had a few other members from NZ and Australia. One of them, naomi, still stops by occassionally. Glad you overcame your fears of running outside. I started c25k on the treadmill in my house before I built up the confidence to run in public. Now I much prefer running outside if the weather is nice, or on the gym treadmill when it's not. The gym's equipment is so much nicer than my almost 20 year old treadmill. I love all of the different programs I can choose from. The only time I use my home treadmill is when it's literally a blizzard and I can't get out the door.

@alison (bohemian)--that's so cool that you were one of the organizers of Loncon! If you ever make it to Chicon, you'll have to let me know.

@tom (morgori)--I had no idea about the IL connection or that Pluto was once again a planet in my state. Good to know. :happy:

@tammy (jt)--I hope the massage works to relieve some of your pain.

@ddas--I take it you are in Northern California then? I saw something about the quake on the news today. Scary! Glad you are okay and no damage.

@brenda--sorry you will miss apple picking season. Do you have friends or family who also go? Maybe you can have them get you some apples as well?

@kaye--it's nice that you are comfortable walking in your town. I live in a very safe area, but still worry about going alone to forest preserves and more secluded running paths. Unfortunately, there are sick people who target those location. I stick with the area right around my house which is well populated with lots of traffic--not ideal for predators. And of course, I usually have gunner to protect me. Nothing like a big, scary looking dog to ward off creeps. :wink:

@laurie--yes, we will conquer that tunnel! Yeah, I knew my pace was good at the 1st and 2nd mile markers, so I was surprised to see my final time. Glad the race website posted the splits so I could figure out what happened.

Sunday Share:
    I'm karen, and I live and teach in the suburbs of chicago. I teach 11th and 12th grade English Lit., so once school starts I have a lot of grading, but I really love what I do. Tomorrow is our first day with students so I will get to meet all 131 of them. A good portion of my seniors will be students I had last year as juniors which helps when I'm trying to learn all of those new names. I got a notice that one of my juniors is a transgendered/transitioning student. This will be her first year attending school as female, so it may be a "surprise" for some of her classmates. I hope all goes smoothly and there are no incidents that make her feel uncomfortable in class. Fortunately, it is an honors level class which usually means the kids are a bit more respectful and mature than in the regular level classes. However, there are always 1 or 2 who are behind their peers in terms of maturity level. And to be honest, this is not a situation that they encounter every day, so I will just have to be on alert and handle any difficulties that arise.

On friday after school a colleague had a work party. It was a lot of fun, but I ate and drank too many calories, so I am now over on my cumulative tally. I have this week to try to balance it out, so hope to get to zero (or better yet, be in the negative) by next Monday.

Today I did deadlifts and squats at the gym and my legs didn't hurt nearly as much as they did a week ago, so that's good. I also did some other weights and core work, plus 20 minutes on the elliptical.

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--gym DONE + short walk w/ gunner DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + 5k DONE
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Sat--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE

August Challenge:
    Cumulative calorie surplus (shortage) = -354
    100g of protein = 6/31 days
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth: I've been avoiding you all because I've been too busy eating Chex Mix. So much salt....so much satisfying crunch. :grumble:

Friday Fitness: Fridays are supposed to be my rest days. Saturday I am supposed to cross train, but I didn't this weekend because I decided to sleep in a bit and then we spent most of the day at my sister's house celebrating my niece's 3rd birthday.
    Today, Sunday, is my long run day. I went 9 miles! I did it during the hottest part of the day (because, again, I chose to sleep in), so I had to slow down and walk for a couple miles, but I finished. Also, I wear a headband to keep my hair out of my face and to soak up my sweat...and I forgot to put on sunblock....I now am the proud bearer of a perfectly two-toned forehead. :tongue:

Saturday Success: I drank only water at my niece's birthday party. There was soda, but it was all regular soda and I decided it wasn't worth it since I really don't care for how sweet regular soda tastes to me now.

Sunday Share: I am 34, married with 2 kids: DD is 7 and DS is 5. I am the oldest of three girls in my family, and my husband is the youngest of three boys. Between everyone, we have 3 nephews and 5 nieces. Don't tell any of them, but right now my favorite is my youngest niece, Evelyn. Shhh! :laugh: She just turned three and she is beginning to get into that stage where she is testing limits and declaring her independence...or at least trying to. She is also a little chatterbox and pretty dang adorable. My sister asked her to show me some of the dance moves she learned in her dance class the other day. Evelyn did a "talk-to-the-hand' motion and yelled, "NO!" My sister said, "That was not polite, Evelyn." So, without missing a beat, Evelyn puts her hand up again and says, a little calmer, "No, thank you!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Evelyn is also a smartie. She knows all her planets....even the disputed Pluto! :wink: It was her 3rd birthday this weekend, so they had an outer space theme since she is really into that this summer, and they had cut-outs of the planets up on the diningroom wall. Her dad said he really wanted to put an asterisk up over Pluto. :laugh:

Tom-How perfect that Disputed Pluto Day was also this weekend!

Nettie- Get ready to receive unwanted advice from everyone...it's not just the grandmas that get in on this....though, they are the worst. :wink: Just keep grinning and bearing it...sometimes there is some good stuff in all the unwanted advice they give. Can't wait to hear about the gender reveal!

Kah- The portrait of Zoe is wonderful! I'm impressed.

Laurie- Congratulations on the normal test results!! What a relief for you. :smile:

Robin- Do you think you would notice if I snuck a few of my own to-do's onto your list? It's already so full...what's a few more things? :laugh:

Skinny- So glad you didn't have to miss your 5K due to storms. And great job on your pace! And you even had a chance to Good Samaritan with the runner who dropped their things....you truly ran the good race!

Toots- The story of your two boys coming over knowing minimal English reminds me of my sister and her step-daughter. My sister met her husband in the US, while he was here for college. He was born and raised in the Ivory Coast. Their first language there is French, and my sister was told that the kids also learned English in school. He had a daughter in a previous relationship, abandoned by the mother and left with his brother while he finished school. Anyway, they worked for two years or more with customs and immigration to get her over here after they were married and were finishing up their degrees. My sister was expecting that the then 11-year-old girl would know at least some classroom English. It was more like your boys. She knew a few basic phrases, but that was it. (Because the family would frequently pull her from school to take care of her sick grandfather!:noway: ) Luckily for my sister and her family, they live in Rochester, MN. Because of the Mayo Clinic and all the specialists coming from all over the world to practice there, the city has a special English-as-a-second-language school just for the kids of all these specialists....and anyone else, of course. So, my niece spent the first two school years at that school where they mainly focused on learning English, but also taught some grade level math, social studies, science, etc.
    It seems like a million years ago when she couldn't communicate with us well....now she is 17 and speaks pretty fluently.

Is it really the last full week of August already?? I'm excited about the kids going back to school and seeing the fall colors, but I heard we're in for another super-chill winter and I don't think I'm looking forward to that. :indifferent:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Another day on point, and a good walk, 4.7 miles.
    There are quite a few new people here so I'll do a quick intro. I'm Kaye, 70 years old, married for 49 years, mother of 7with spouses, grandmother of 14 plus some steps and fosters. Most of the family lives nearby so family occupies a lot of my time. I babysit 2 of my grandkids during the school year. I also love needlework, sewing, word puzzles and reading when I have time. I joined MFP and Robin's thread 2 years ago. I've struggled with my weight for most of my life, but I'm determined to make it stick this time. My strategy is simple, calories in/calories out. I enjoy walking for exercise. My weight loss has really slowed down during the second year, but I'm getting close to my goal, and determined to keep at this.
    Grammy Marsha, I'm glad that you are still able to travel and take a break now and then. Being a care giver is very draining. So sorry about your sister's diagnosis. They told me about 5 years ago that DH was exhibiting symptoms of Alzheimer's, but it is progressing very slowly. Things are still fairly normal.
    Here's to a good week for everyone. Onward and downward. Kaye
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Zaxie - well my bags are packed, see ya in about 2 years...:bigsmile: should have the money by then! :wink:

cblue/ lori - wow you're doing great on your fitness planning - almost sounds like you become a bit addicted to it with your feeling no control on the weekend. You'll figure something out!

littleshadow - so sorry to hear about your DH diagnosis - always a bit scary to start out with. the elimination diet won't really be that hard, its that darn old saying ' its the last thing you eliminate that is what you're sensitive to." and it takes forever to get to that last thing. Rats, sorry for you all. And you've had your share of troubles too. Y'all need a break! :flowerforyou:

Teresa - glad you've had good sales before the month ended. So pressure filled!. I'm like you about football but still "get into it" so I'm not considered an "oddball" cuz its Nebraska's winder hobby!

Skinny - this might be a "duh" moment, but could you wear one of those strap=on headband flashlights in the tunnel - like would that help you see your feet at least. I hae one and love it for looking deep into closet space, etc.

AFM - I've walked at least 2 plus miles these last 2 days doing lots of shopping, trying on clothes, and just wlking around the stores for fun. Getting in better shape all around. Back still wont let met do it for long but time is stretching out further each time.

Have a great nite.
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    happy Monday to all :bigsmile: wishing everyone a blessed and beautiful day and week! I'm grateful for the concern and support from you ladies when I became ill from eating that kale Friday night. Saturday was pretty awful for me, too. I only managed to keep down 60 calories to my estimation. I was weak and dehydrated so I just let my exercise go for that day. Most of Sunday was rough, too, but it all turned around for me by early evening. I was finally able to eat and keep it down. Felt good enough to walk on my treadmill and do my strengthening exercises. Ate a small dinner that unfortunately didn't stay down, but I think that was more because I just don't do well with beef :sick:
    GOOD NEWS GOOD NEWS: I've lost that pesky 4lbs that I gained over the last few weeks for some unknown reason. Back down to 340 once again. Also, I've lost inches!!! 1 off my chest, 1 off my waist, and 3 off my hips!!! YAY! YAY! YAY!