Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @NaomiFilcock - I heard that poem being sung as I read it! I haven't heard that poem in such a long time! My mum has cousins in Australia. I couldn't tell you where, I met them about 15 years ago and I was only 10. :smile:
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Once again thanks for being there.
    I do want to post my October progress
    Calori goal - 15 good days, 4 days over, one terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

Happy CELEBRATION OF THE MIND DAY
    Sunday, October 21st: Today is a mind boggling kind of day. Today is the third CELEBRATION OF THE MIND DAY.
    Today honors the life of Martin Gardner who would have been 98 years old today. He passed away May 22, 2010 and wanted no memorials, but wished that his work with Gatherings For Gardner (G4G) continue. Martin’s life was dedicated to the pursuit of a playful and fun approach to Mathematics, Science, Art, Magic, Puzzles and the workings of the mind.
    Celebrate a life lived fully; celebrate the magnificent power of our own minds. Grab a puzzle, exercise those gray cells, and appreciate the intricate inner workings of our own thought processes. http://celebrationofmind.org/

After a lifetime of losing and gaining weight, I get it. No matter how you slice it, weight loss comes down to the simple formula of calories in, calories out.
    Valerie Bertinelli

Tom
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Ok...It has taken me extra long to get back in the groove. I am going to do my confession now. I didn't realize how much of hermit I had become prior to vacation. My house was disaster zone of paper mess and things. My struggle now is getting caught up on all the school work I missed while on vacation. I will post and read as much as I can I really need to get the outgoing fun me back on track and get school work caught up being I pay for that.
    Vacation was fun New Orleans is very dirty compared to Minneapolis. Loved the heat and humidity but found it odd that at with all the humidity it never rained. Ate some new things that I didn't like much like crawfish and alligator but good thing we don't have beignets here in MN. True teen fashion my son complained about all the walking per my fit bit it was about 10.5 miles per day.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I miss my UT family. When they're here, I miss order and peace, and when they leave, I miss their fresh ideas, hugs and liveliness. What I don't miss is contention. My lovely Utah daughter and her twin brother, who lives near me, care about each other but are very different and frequently at odds. This visit they had words, then called on me to settle their differences. Yikes! It was like they were tots again and wanted me to choose the one I loved best! (They're nearly 40.) I told them they both were right AND wrong, by degrees, and I was uncomfortable being in the middle. That sure didn't win me any gold stars! Ann Landers, where are you when I need advice?

cblue/lori: I've done my share of ranting (see above), and not only is your rant valid, but I've had those same thoughts, from time to time. If we can't vent to our friends, who can we vent to? Rant on!

Naomi: Thanks for the kookaburra pic and the poem. Uh, now can you get that melody out of my head? It's on continual loop! ;)

BohemianCoast: Enjoy your jaunt to the country. Speaking of which, I'll be in London for one day next June, the rest of the time in Ireland. Maybe we can arrange to bump into each other?

Laurie: Hope your dad is feeling better and home by the time you read this.

Tuesday Goals: To have enough strength to conquer the mountain of laundry my guests left me AND to find the motivation to complete a church project for the young women. Also, to GET RID of the treats my guests left behind. And that doesn't include eating all those cookies! They're calling me. Hear them? "Maaaarsha, we're so spicy and soft. You KNOW you want to eat us. We're only 130 calories each." Aaaargh.

Save me.
    GrammyWhammy=Marsha
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Blowing a gale here and cold but I have just had dinner so nice and full up! The weight loss has really slowed down over the past few weeks which is a bit discouraging as I have eaten well all the time. I am trying to look at the total loss and not weigh every day but I wish, oh how I wish, it would hurry up and go!!
  • jfields1987
    Options
    Well, I'm new here but I would really like to be a part of something and maybe make some friends to share with and help keep each of us accountable.

Anyways, a little about me. My name is Jessica, hi there. I am going to school full time to be a english teacher, I own my own business (its a start-up). And, I want to lose weight. Hey, I guess that's the first step to losing weight right.

Over the course of my life, I have put on more weight than I would like, I am sitting at a whopping 317.8 pounds (I share this because it makes me aware of it). I've wanted to lose weight for a long time but depression amongst other things have hindered my ability to do this. For the last few years I have been on the verge of suicide wanting nothing more than to not be here, because it hurts to bad to be so unhappy with myself, my life, and in general the things I have been through.

Slowly I have tried to change all of this, without the help of medication and drugs...I feel depression is not really a chemical thing but it stems from true sadness that one feels, it's just finding their way back from the darkness that's hard. There are many things I am still so very unhappy with in my life 70% of those things I can control, the other 30% I can't.

On the first page it said Tuesday is list your goal day, so here is my goal

Goal: I want to come back tomorrow....one day at a time, I just want to log on, log my meals, log my exercise and then keep repeating it.
  • hatchamom
    Options
    Hi. I am new to MFP. I need to lose about 170 pounds to be at my ideal weight. I have lost about 3 pounds since September 2 so I am on my way.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @Tom…because of your daily “days” I cleaned my desk top yesterday. Thanks!
    @Amy…WOW..luck was on your side with the Fitbit!
    @Lois...I started cakes when my oldest was 2 (decided that I wanted it a tradition that I make his cakes and as long as they were recognizable I was happy). Neither kid ever touched them. It was only 2 years ago that I decided I wanted to learn more and actually took 2 classes last year. My sister kind of kicked it into gear for me by “volunteering” me to a friend for my first cake. Made $50 and the rest is history. I decided that if I could make and sell one cake a month it would cover my expenses for my KitchenAid mixer. For November, I am booked for 5 cakes. 
    @Marsha…I laugh because I took that cake into my sister’s work to drum up some business and get business cards handed out. For the first two hours apparently, people would come in and look and say I don’t want to cut it, it’s too cute. Finally, Kristen just cut it so people would start eating it. HA! Sorry to hear about the “words” your kids had. We have one sibling that seems to pick fights with all 4 of us other ones. The rest of us can be around each other a lot and not have any issues, but my sister will argue with a paint can. On the plus side, for the first 30 years of her life, she only picked on me…now she has branched out and it’s taken some of the heat off me. We both have figured out that we enjoy each other for about 2 ½ days and then we need a break. We’ve learned to walk away and come back after we are refreshed. That’s how we handle yearly family vacations together ranging from 5-14 days. Hopefully they can put differences aside and just learn to enjoy each other for all their positive traits.
    @jtconst…I grew up on a farm that always had 2 dogs and as many cats as possible without getting sick. I believe at one time we had 35. My dad did put a stop to that and then we averaged 12. Loved hunting for the kittens every spring. Momma kitties didn’t love us so much but they got used to us pretty quickly.
    @Chulis…what a great husband for noticing. Great motivator too.
    @Laurie…sorry about your dad. Sending prayers.
    @Robin…congrats on getting better bit by bit. Just getting outside has to be such a lift to the spirits.

Tuesday goals: I have GOT to start drinking water. I don’t like drinking it. I also don’t like drinking flavored water. I just need to suck it up and get it down. Lifted last night and doing a “trainer” work out tonight. Now I’m off to buy Emma’s Halloween costume. She has a girl scout food drive on Thursday that she’s supposed to wear it. She’ll actually get 3 uses out of it—Girl Scouts, Church Halloween party and actually trick or treating. I feel better about spending the money when she wears it more than once.

Have a great day!!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Monday is left a memory, Wednesday is beckoning, my mind is on Tuesday.

@NaomiFilcock - I’d never heard of a Kookaburra or seen one before your picture. Looked it up and found this recording of it’s voice and song at http://www.wimp.com/kookaburrabird/

Welcome to all the new members since my last post. If you haven’t thus far, go to the first page and read the intro our founder @Robinsegg posted. It tells a little about this thread and provides some quick link advice.

@jfields1987 - thanks for your introduction to yourself. I heard Dr. Deepak Chopra say something very interesting about depression (a topic very close to me personally) that you might appreciate.

Anger is remembered pain (from our past that we didn’t deal with and it now comes up as anger)
    Fear is the anticipation of pain in the future
    Guilt is directing pain at yourself
    Depression is the depletion of energy as a result of these things.
    He also said expressing pain in writing boosts the immune system and gets the issue out.

I think that's why we who struggle with our weight like to write on this thread ... it helps get the pain out.

AFM … Monday was a bust, calorie wise … and very bad. My October challenge is stuck in quicksand at 12/20 … but onward and forward I go.

Tuesday Goals … yep, get those calories under control again.

Today, thus far … I have done well … tomorrow is an eating opportunity cause I'm heading out to lunch with my sister and our sis-in-law. Should be a fun outing for us gals to catch up. We are going to a sports bar … lots of sandwiches and other stick-to-your-ribs food. I looked the menu over and have decided I will have the Rueben sandwich and only eat half of it … maybe.

Niki

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Thanks for the prayers for my dad. He is doing better but still in the hospital at least until tomorrow. It was not a kidney infection this time and the test for pneumonia were inconclusive- lungs clear etc. They are giving him antibiotics just in case an infection is starting. Mom and I left the hospital about 1;30 am and returned around 10 am today for a couple of hours. We saw him again tonight and he did not look comfortable due to the foot pain. He is now in a private room instead of the ER so that might help.

I am tired but doing okay. I did use the day to hit the gym and saw the chiropractor so that accomplished two of my goals for this week. Ran today and that felt good.
    Tomorrow will be a rest day unless I hit the pool after my meeting depending on how late it is.

Hope you have a great day.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think I'm ready to throw out my goals for October. I haven't been tracking well all month, particularly over the last week. I have no idea where I'm at.

Laurie- I hope your dad is out of the hospital all healed up soon.
    Lois- No steroids in those pumpkins! They were grown by my FIL, and he was just as surprised by how well they grew this year.
    Kah and Tom- Thanks. I think my kids are pretty cute and great, too.
    Skinny- My cousin recently graduated from nursing school, got a job, got engaged and moved with her fiancé to Lake Geneva (aka: the land of great hiking!) She posted that she and her fiancé hiked about 22 miles around the lake on Saturday. She predicted that neither one would be walking anywhere on Sunday. Ha!

Tuesday goal....make sure I get housework going a little every day this week, because I will be working on my typical day off again this week, and we have a trip to MN this weekend. It's my nephew's third birthday...my sister asked him what kind of cake he would like her to make, and he answered with four different ideas. He thought he would get more cake that way! Then she asked what he wanted to serve for lunch at his party...his menu would include: cake, cookies and candy. Oh, boy. I think we're definitely related!! Hehehehe!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @amanda—I’ve had months where I just lost track and had to ditch the monthly goal and start fresh. November is just 10 days away, so don’t sweat it. ;) I’ve never done the full hike around the lake, but I hear it’s lovely. My friend’s house is about 10 minutes from downtown LG in a gated community with a golf course and a different lake (Lake Como), so we tend to do our hiking there. I hope your cousin likes it there—it’s lovely in the spring, summer, and fall, but a bit desolate in the winter months. Took my friend a couple of years to really get used to it, but now she loves it there.

@laurie—glad to hear your dad is doing better.

@niki—when my friends and I are trying to eat less while out at a bar, we will split a sandwich. Maybe one of your friends will want to split the reuben—then you won’t be tempted to eat that other half. o:)

@tracy—has emma decided what she will be? My 2 and a half y/o niece is going to be a yeti. Does your drinking water not taste good? Or do you just not like any water? I love plain water, and I always forget how lucky I am to have great tasting water until I’m in a suburb that’s on a well. When DH and I were house hunting, one of my “must haves” was Lake Michigan water. I prefer it even to bottled water.

@jessica—welcome! I am an English teacher and will resist the urge to tell you to run for the hills—LOL. :p Seriously, it’s the best and worst job—love the content and kids, but hate all the grading. I guess it’s fitting that my job is a paradox since I spend so much time teaching that literary device. ;)

@holly—I also thought NOLA was very dirty compared to Chicago—and smelly. Hmm, I said the same about NYC—is it possible I’m looking at my hometown through rose-colored glasses? Nah—chicago is awesome, and I bet minneapolis is great too. The Midwest is the best! ;)

@naomi—as kids, we used to sing that first verse you posted. Brings back memories!

@robin—I’ve heard of that zombie app but haven’t tried it. Maybe someday when I can afford unlimited data…

@lori—I haven’t read the whoosh thread—will need to look for it when I have some extra time.

@kaye—hope your grands are feeling better today.

Welcome to all of the other newlings! :smile:

Tuesday Goals:
    My main goal is to get one class of AP essays done to hand back on Friday—that means 11 essays in 2 days which is totally doable. I also have a set of analysis exercises that I need to finish before Friday as well. Looks like I will be heading to starbucks after work tomorrow. 

Grading Goals:
    1. 14/66 AP essays
    2. x/20 AP analysis exercises

Exercise Goals:
    Sat--HIKING in LG
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon—rest day
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed--walk gunner
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--rest day

October Challenge:
    Days under calories = 16/21
    Days >100g of protein = 9/21
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I hope we are all off to a great week. My eating has been a little sketchy but could have been worse. We were able to pick up the kittens yesterday afternoon and it has been all about getting them settled since then. We ended up with some name changes though. After about an hour of having them home we realised Ares wasnt going to work because we call my daughter Ari. So we started experimenting with different god related names and after trying out quite a few for awhile and observing their behavior we settled on Loki for the grey one cause he gets into everthing already and Isis for the lack one cause she is just kind of eerie looking with her pitch black coloring and huge orangey colored eyes. Needless to say we are all in love already. The dogs are getting used to them and they are doing the same. So far we still keep them seperated unless we are there with them but that is just cause they are so small. I am going to attempt to add a picture but my skills are small. Have a great day everyone and cya later. lczn8dv0cfoo.jpg
    c4opzauykvzg.jpg
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Today was a busy day. I made 4coconut cream pies for the hospital auxiliary and did the laundry. The kids are back to normal.
    Through a series of interesting events I wound up walking 10 miles today.
    We had our first report from our missionary granddaughter. She sent lots of pictures. It sounds like she is very happy.
    Tlh, I need to join you in drinking water. We have good water and I really don't mind it, I just don't think about it.
    Welcome to the newcomers. This is really a great place for support.
    Robin, glad you are getting stronger.
    Laurie, glad your father is improving.
    Have a great tomorrow.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • chulisGonzalez
    chulisGonzalez Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wrote so much and now it's all gone.....eff it. Not doing it again dammit. :s
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Bleh, only lost 0.2lbs this week. I know it's a loss, but I would rather the decimal point shoved over to the right one place. So as it turns out, no 'Whoosh' but more of the naughty days biting me in the *kitten*. Maybe an extra day swimming to cover the bases for this weekend? And Bud light instead of full blown Budwiser. :disappointed:

@jfields1987 – Congrats on owning your own business! My parents own their own company and I work for them, but I have experienced first-hand just how stressful that can be! It really isn’t easy so I have full respect for you for accomplishing that!
    I sorry to hear of your feelings from the past, but the best way is to look forward and your goal is a great start! I started that way, just spend the first week or so getting used to logging in and logging your food every day. If you have an iphone, or an app on your phone try to do it every time something hits your lips so you won’t forget something. I’ve had many a frustrating week where I haven’t lost the weight I thought I would and it turns out I forgot to log a biscuit here or a can of coke there and it is surprising how quickly it builds up. If not carry a paper diary with you for a week.
    So I wouldn't jump straight into a super low calorie, super healthy barely-eating-anything diet because I personally crashed out after a week doing that. Just eat normally for a week, review it on your diary and think to yourself “did I need that packet of crisps then?” or “I could trade that chocolate bar for a banana”, “I could have had a glass of water instead of that can of coke then” make small tweeks to your existing diet and work on it that way. Someone somewhere on this forum once said “you didn't put the weight on in a week so logging your weight normally for another week won’t double your weight”. Honesty will be your best friend on this journey. And whenever you feel upset/ frustrated/ or angry come on over and let it off your chest here! Well, that is my advice, and I’m sure you will get sooooo much more from everyone else!
    @hatchamom – congrats on your 3lb loss! Keep going!
    @tlh0407 – Are you on a website called Pinterest? It is like an online pin board and I have seen some fantastic designs for cakes on there! I have a friend on there and she started doing character modelling for animation and progressed into cake design and she gets a lot of inspiration for her cakes on there. It’s not just cakes, you can pin everything and anything from food recipes, knitting patterns, work outs, if it is on a website, you can pin it. And you can pin your own photos to the collection as well. I gets quite addictive, I’m not going to lie.
    @Lauriek70 – I hope your dad gets better soon and well done for keeping to your exercise regime!
    @jtconst – They. Are. ADORABLE! Thank you for sharing them with us! I learnt yesterday our neighbours are moving and I have befriended their cats because I can’t have one of my own and now they are leaving me! :cry:
    @chulisGonzalez – try typing it up on word or if you are on an ipad there is a notebook app, and then copy and paste, that way if it doesn't load up you still have it to try again

Wednesday Wish : I wish the new guy in our office would pull his head out of his own *** and stop talking to me like I’m his PA. He is making enough mistakes as it is, he is NOT going to drag me down with him if he forgets to ASK (not tell) me to do something. Grrrr. I think I've been picking up his mistakes for far too long already and he only started in April!
    That's my wish/rant over with :smile:

October Challenge 18/21
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Edit from the last post. He HAS in fact tried to drag me down for his mistake. Apparently my name is against something that is wrong. But I don't have the knowledge to do it in the first place, so it has nothing to do with me. He then had the cheek to say "don't worry, I'll fix it for you" :rage: Its a shame you can't fire people for incompetence...
  • NaomiGibbins
    NaomiGibbins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Quick post tonight, just popped in to say I'm very pleased with myself. I came in under my goal calories today for the first time since getting back on here. Yay....
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Bump..... not that it seems to help with this new format. :\