Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Well I thought I was back and then I disappeared again. :# Work has been crazy with customers, extra shifts due to my assistant manager's 11 year old son breaking his hand, and other co-workers getting sick or going on vacation. You would think I would be making more money then I am! :D Hubby and I have also been busy with a good friend who had to have heart surgery and we have been giving her lots of TLC. :(

I have missed this thread and just spent the last hour trying to catch up on everyone, but I really don't have time (at work still) to do personals. But I am thinking about you and I am going to start posting more. Oh and <3 all the pictures!!!

Which brings me to my Thursday truth: I started out really good this month and then with vacation and work my eating has gotten all out of control again. NOT to mention all the candy that is at work!! National chocolate day seems to be my own personal holiday. >:);)

So the November challenge for me is going to get back on track and rededicate myself to weight loss. I have cute winter clothes that need fitting into and new work pants that need buying (at a smaller size!) I want to stick the best I can to my calorie goals and I want to post on this thread every day. I really think those two things were helping me so much. Accountability is so important to for my success.

So you will all see me tomorrow!! :p

@tlh407, thanks for reminding me about Francine Rivers. I read "Redeeming Love" and was just thinking I needed a good book to read. I will for sure check out "The Mark of the Lion" series.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes for my dad. He is now in a rehab center. Hopefully, this will give him a chance to heal and get his strength back. The hospital did admit that they released him to early.

I had a good workout today tried something new. Running on the treadmill at a constant speed for 1.5 miles then ran on the track for a couple of laps. The increase in speed was amazing and I found it easier to run. I will do that training method again.

Truth- I have been craving chocolate this week so I need to focus on eating healthy but it is hard when life has been crazy. I have many papers to grade tomorrow so I hope it gets done. Our first marking period ends tomorrow and I need to get my but in gear and catch up on grading. Karen- I am write there with you in terms of grading.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options

@laurie--good luck with the grading! Our marking period ended yesterday and grades are due Monday, so the race is on!!

@teresa—Great goals to fit into those cute winter clothes and to buy smaller work pants. I need to go through my closet this weekend and see which work clothes are close to fitting. That always helps motivate me as well.

@devilsnegu—yes this group is still going strong—welcome!

@helen—thanks for the wish; the grading is going okay. My goal is to be really productive this weekend to get somewhat caught up. I also eat a lot of tilapia, and also swai.

@barbara—awesome choices at lunch!

@tracy—Love the picture of your kids! I have to applaud you going to the gym so late. I’m a total night owl, but the latest I think I’ve ever hit the gym is about 7 pm. Wish I had the drive you have to go later. Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother’s necklace.

@lori—sorry you are also drowning in the paperwork. I know you were really hoping to stay off the meds, but as others have said, you are wise to realize when you need support.

@kelley—sorry to hear about your car troubles, but glad it was just a battery and partially covered.

@lois—I agree with the others about 1) talking to your husband to let him know your needs and intentions when it comes to food, and 2) just agreeing to eat separately if he doesn’t want to change his eating habits. My husband is the primary dinner cook in our household. He will alter some recipes to make them healthier, and he also still makes some high calorie dishes. However, he lets me know ahead of time so I can either adjust my day to allow for a higher calorie dinner or fend for myself.

@kaye—homemade donuts for Halloween? You really are superwoman!

Thursday Truth:
    As you know I’ve been super stressed from work, but the truth is so are most people. I hate it when I get into a whining, complaining mood, so I’m trying really hard to be positive. I was very productive today—managed to hand back a second class set of essays which I just realized is a day ahead of my plan to hand those back tomorrow. I’ve even gotten a start on the 3rd set, so I hope to keep the impetus going tomorrow during my 2 morning opens. It feels good though to know that even if I don’t get any papers done tomorrow, I only have 22 to get through this weekend. I would also like to grade the second set of vocab analysis to hand back to my juniors on Monday, so I’m putting that back on my list.

Grading Goals:
    1. 44/66 AP essays
    2. x/60 M1948 vocab 2

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--rest day (meeting) DONE
    Tues--rest day (meeting) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Still up and it's 2:00 am. That's what I get for procrastinating! :'( I had a Halloween cake due for my brother in law. He's taking it to his work as a favor for me. He'll hand out my business card so hopefully it'll drum up some business for me. Normally I can frost a cake pretty quickly but this one was being a bit stubborn. Square cakes for me are much harder than round cakes...weird I think, but what can you do?

Tomorrow I will be baking two cakes. Then I have teacher/parent conference for Emma right at 3:15. After trick or treating, I'll be decorating those two cakes...a baptism one for a customer and then Michael's birthday cake. One is due at 11 am and the other is not until 6:00. Both are pretty minimum with decorations so shouldn't be too tough.

Didn't make it to the gym today. It was a lifting day and my sister has a severe kink in her neck (fell asleep on the couch and the 90 lb dog decided he didn't like her taking his bed, so she slept curled in a ball on half a couch -- ha) so no lifting for her. Considering the fact that we had the first night of skating lessons for Emma and then had to run to Sam's to pick up Halloween candy (did I say something about being a procrastinator earlier?) I was okay with missing the gym today.

Alright...actually headed to bed now. See ya all tomorrow!!!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm up really early, for me, on this last day of October. That gives me some extra time to post on here before getting on with it.

@kah … we have 2 birthday’s next week also. Happy (early) Birthday wishes!

@tlh0 … thanks for the cheer. Have you read the ‘Joshua’ series of books by Joseph E Girzone? I just loved them.

@GrammyWhammy/Marsha … When Strawberry went to her first vet appointment, the vet remarked how she hadn’t seen her coloration in a long time. But I am amazed at how often I run across pictures of cats that could be twins to both my ‘baby girl’, and my ‘big boy’. My little berry is now 8 years old and by sweet boy is 17 years old.

@skinnyjeanz … reading about all the grading you need to do and how it cuts into your personal life is a real eye-opener. I’ve heard people say, in my town, that the teachers are overpaid seeing as how they only work 10 months out of the year and their work day ends so early. Hah … it seems like it never ends! In my working days, I was a trainer/mentor for the company and often felt like the job was a 24/7 proposition, but I did love it.

@Lois … I can relate! Used to want to run away all the time before I figured out my self just kept coming along with me.

@cblue … WOW, $25 an hour … hmm, I probably cannot afford that either. Maybe I’ll have to settle to pay myself something like $10.00 an hour.

@mountmary … Going out to eat and making better choices, taking half home, and other tricks got me started on making better choices for food at home. I am so grateful for those salads with a bit of tuna or chicken or even just egg as a satisfying lunch.

@Helenstrandom … Oh, the memories of mother cooking! If I could still eat like that, and if I had my moms kitchen talents …. well, you know.

October Challege ... had a good day on Thursday calorie wise, so now it's 20/30 ... guess I know what my challenge will be come November... All IN except for Thanskgiving Day.

Friday Fitness ... I'm still doing my stand up pushups, walking in step, toe touches, arm raises, and modified squats every day. My strength and stamina is better than it was when I started. I can now step briskly in place and not get winded like I did, and find my balance is better on one foot. I've been testing standing on one leg without support and can do it now for a few seconds, so I know my ankles and calf muscles are getting better.

Have a very wonderful day today ... talk to you all in November.
    Niki
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a cat to share cat day with, but I found a newty creature in the garden last night so I named him Norman. :smile:

lkp9suf620ch.jpg
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: I am still a little slow on the uptake of this one. In November my goal will be to increase exercise days. I doubt I will ever catch up to some of you, but my intent is to do my exercise more days next month, right now 3 times a week sounds like a reasonable amount to me for getting started. I know I will feel stronger then.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    @L2T—congrats on your DD’s upcoming engagement. I don’t think either of my grandmothers had an engagement ring. Both were immigrants with no money for such extravagances when they married. My mom’s mother did have a lot of jewelry and my sisters and I each got to choose a ring when she passed. I chose a beautiful opal. I also got several junk rings—she had a lot that are so cheap they have adjustable bands. Many say “Avon” in the band—you would probably need to be 40+ to remember when the “Avon Lady” would sell jewelry, make-up, and trinkets door to door. Even though those rings aren’t worth any money, I love them b/c they remind me of my “fancy” grandma. LOL

@skinnyjeanz - My Dad's mother immigrated from Ireland as a teenager. His father's family came in the 1600s from England. I never knew either of my Father's parents. They both died during an influenza epidemic when he was 16. My Mother's mom didn't have an engagement ring either. They were recent immigrants from Germany and had no money for something like that. I have no jewelry (or anything else) from either set of Grandparents. My lucky daughters will both have nice engagement rings courtesy of my Mother and I'm very grateful that she's willing to give them such a fabulous gift!

@kah - Darn car batteries. If the heat doesn't kill them, the cold does. Lucky you that you only had to pay half.

AFM - Work is kicking my butt and I'm using it as an excuse to be less than vigilant about my meals. And as a result, I'm up 4 lbs. that are not just "water" weight. I'm pretty sure they are "Candy Corn" weight. Gonna try real hard to not add more in the form of "Hershey Kisses" weight during the upcoming holidays. I'm starting down that bad path of beating myself up about my recent failures, but on the bright side at least I'm aware that I'm doing it and can hopefully change my inner dialogue to be more positive.

I have been walking faithfully every morning, so at least there's that. And I've become addicted to Podcasts. My current obsession is with "Serial", the story of a guy from Baltimore convicted of killing his girlfriend back in 1999 and the year long research a reporter did about the case. It's like an audio version of Dateline!

Hope everyone has a happy (and relatively candy-free) Halloween!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness- well, my back has been giving me trouble for several months now, but since July I have been doing simple stretching exercises and I see about a 50% improvement. It doesn't bother me as early in the day used to and seems to lighten up if a lay down for a bit. I don't like to take anything for the pain, but maybe I should and add another session of stretches later in the day. Otherwise, my only exercise this week has been when I see I'm about to go over on calories, and then I do something useful like raking leaves. I figure one way or another, this week I will not go over on calories.
    I like the November Challenge of staying under calories and one personal goal. My personal goal will be to be under on fat calories. I haven't done that much this week, but truthfully have only adjusted my habits in eating less or moving more. Obviously Thanksgiving will be a "cheat" day from that, but I have decided to make a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey. Bob and I are alone this year, and he prefers the breast meat anyways. I'm the one who legs the dark meat, and even a small turkey with all that dark meat will have me over for longer than one day.
    It's snowing right now. I was hoping it wouldn't snow on Halloween for the kids' sake. I remember having to wear a coat over my costume some years and being angry with mom for not letting me show off my costume. Obviously I was no o:) . Funny thing is, if I had been blessed with kids, there isn't much I think I'd have done differently. :)
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I said I was going to bed last night and my husband came home from work at the exact same time. He’s been doing 6 – 12 hour shifts so we don’t get much time to visit. He washed my dishes for me while I sat and visited with him. It made me more tired, but it was such a nice time. Actually went to bed about 3:20 this morning and that darn alarm still went off at 6:40!

@Mary…nice to have survived your entrapment! I think your plan of doing 3 times a week is a great place to start. I need to remind myself that even if I miss the gym on days I had planned that I am still doing more than I used to do.
    @Teresa…missing staff always adds to our workloads but this too shall pass. What a great friend you are being in your friend’s time of need. While it’s tiring, it’s such a wonderful thing that you are there for her. Hope you enjoy the books!
    @Karen…I was told on Wednesday that women aren’t suppose to work out that late at night, but it’s then or never for me some days. I’ve tried getting up in the morning and am just not a morning person so I miss more than I make. On the days that I don’t have anything going on, we try to get there earlier, but the gym is so packed that we almost like going later better since we don’t have to wait for equipment/space.
    @Niki…I’ll have to check it those books out after I’m done with this read. Now that fall is officially upon us (woke up to frosted car windows) and winter is around the corner, I’ll spend more time reading.
    @L2T…I usually do pretty good with candy. I try to buy the kinds I don’t love (I’m not a huge chocolate fan unless TOM is visiting me) and the kids and hubby make quick work of it. However, I did get candy yesterday that includes stuff I like. Hopefully we have lots of trick-or-treaters (new neighborhood – no idea how many kids to expect) and most of it is gone. Otherwise, I’ll have them “hide” it from me.

Friday Fitness: Okay, I’m to the point I want to write this down.
    • Friday: Trick-or-Treating with Emma and then on my feet for most of the evening getting those cakes done.
    • Saturday: Lift
    • Sunday: Rest
    • Monday: Jenna’s Workout
    • Tuesday: Vote and Lift
    • Wednesday: Jenna’s Workout
    • Thursday: Lift
    • Friday: Rest

I’m also going to post my goals for the house. Maybe it will help me be more accountable and get things done for my company at Thanksgiving.
    • Get through 5 packed boxes.
    • Finish hanging pictures/plaques etc.
    • Go through my closet and put away summer clothes and donate items.
    • Organize bathroom closet.
    • Organize baking/decorating supplies.
    • Schedule a carpet cleaning.
    • Paint Emma's dresser.

Alright, let's do this...all in right?

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I love being able to do donuts. I've been doing it for 35 years. When I started, I bought candy for the kids I didn't know, but they wanted the donuts, too, so I don't buy candy anymore. The day is off to an interesting start. Keith insisted that he is old enough to walk to school by himself. Anya isn't feeling very good, so she is cross. I'm glad her grandpa is here for her. I got the soup made yesterday so the family will have something healthy to eat. I have the syrup started for the wassail (non-alcoholic, of course). Last year I made about 150 donuts and ran out. With Halloween being on Friday, I will probably need a lot more this year.
    Have a fun day.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Popping in to say hi.

Little Babycakes has been super active and going what feels like gymnastics. I am constantly getting kicked and punched. It is really amazing. I cannot believe I only have 3 more months to go. Squeal...I am getting really excited.

Laurie - Wishing you dad a speedy recovery.Love the pictures. What a difference in your transformation!
    Skinny - 5 teachers and 6 babies in one department? Yikes. That sounds stressful with all the subs that will be coming in.
    Susan - So sorry to hear about your friend. Thoughts and prayers your way during this difficult time.
    Kah - Who loses weight on a cruise??? UHM, someone who is pretty dang awesome that's who! Congrats on a job well done! Beautiful pictures.

Everyone is posting such beautiful pictures. Sorry I don't have time to comment on all of them and respond to everyone. I was slacking today and being lazy. I have to get in the shower and get my butt moving to see some kiddies.
  • EternalTruth
    EternalTruth Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am a 40 year old married mother of 2 who is looking to lose about 140 lbs.

I started again on MFP a few days ago with a start weight of 291.4 and am down 3 lbs so far. I am hoping next summer I will be in good enough shape to join a beach volleyball team.

I also enjoy hiking, geocaching, reading, artist trading cards, volunteering, collecting postcards, learning and trying new things.

I enjoy giving support and encouragement to others so feel free to add me as a friend.

Wishing you health & happiness

~ True
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween!! I just got a text from hubby that the kiddos are looking exceptionally cute this year. He is such a sap for little kids and hopefully won't run out of candy like he did last year. I told him that parents train kids to only take one piece, so encouraging them to take more isn't in their best interest. I wish I could be home to watch! :D

Friday fitness: I did a quick workout this morning and admit to not doing much today at work in the way of walking. I hurt my foot the other day and have been babying it. I promise to make up for it tomorrow since the Florida/Georgia game will keep all the people from shopping and I can walk to my hearts content. ;)

Got go, customer!!! :D

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween. I am off to a party so must run. Have a great night.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good evening.

Happy Halloween!
    Here are some pumpkins we have done over the years.
    y4fcgirybw7r.jpg
    4vvugo9t5vp0.jpg
    6987e82qz0pm.jpg
    e79xyfutoe73.jpg
    qiry45w5wrl2.jpg
    id8ucyr6hiza.jpg

“Where you start is not as important as where you finish.” ~Zig Ziglar

Tom
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    October Challenge Results

I am also down 7 pounds for the month and my goal was to lose 5.

My 'attendance sheet' for October cane in at 102 check marks out of a possible 191 ... which is only 53.4% ...
    21 days at or under calorie goal (67.74%) ... average daily calories were 66 over goal
    8 days with 30 minutes sustained physical activity (for not one of the tracked items)
    7 days where I did housework
    21 days I got outdoors (I think I'm a hermit)
    23 days socializing with other people in person or by phone
    22 days of in-place calisthenics for 1 - 2 sets of 5 routines)

I'm now digesting these results to see what my goals will be for November ... I'm 'all in' for the continues calorie goal except for Thanksgiving Day and I know I want to up my percentage of accomplishments ... will post those on November 1.

Good night everyone.
    Niki
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @niki—great job exceeding your weight loss goal for the month! I really admire how you are tracking everything—you will meet all of your goals if you just keep at it. As far as all of the grading—it is a lot of work, but I truly love my job. I think a lot of people have misconceptions about how much teachers actually work. More recently, I’ve heard a lot of people in the private sector counter-argue “but in this economy everyone is putting in more hours.” They forget that public servants make 7-9% less than private sector employees and our workload (i.e. student load) has increased with the economy as well.
    And that doesn’t mean I think teachers are necessarily underpaid. I just don’t think we get the same respect as people in other equally specialized professions. You rarely hear someone talk about how a firefighter should put out a fire, or how a doctor should treat a patient, but people always talk about what teachers “should” be doing in the classroom. As if they know just b/c they were once students or have children themselves. Sorry, I really didn’t mean for that to turn into such a long response/rant. <steps off soapbox> :#

@tom—love the pumpkins!

@laurie—have fun at your party!

@teresa—hope the foot is feeling better tomorrow.

@true—welcome!

@nettie—yes, and they are all going one after the other. The first is due with twins 1st week of December. Then there’s one in Jan., one in Feb., and two in March. Fortunately for me, none of the expecting parents teach my preps, so the subs won’t affect me directly.

@lois—cute newt! (hey, I’m a poet!)

@tracy—I don’t know who told you that about women not working out at night. Sounds suspiciously like “bro-science.” I think people should work out whenever they can/will. I’m right there with you about not being able to work out in the morning. I’m lucky that when I go one weekdays, I can usually get there by 4:30 or 5 and just beat the after-work crowd—it’s usually just getting busy when I’m finishing my workout. On the weekends I tend to go right in the middle of the day when the gym is empty which I LOVE. There’s nothing better than having the gym all to myself.

@helen—I also woke up to snow on the ground, and I heard on the radio that it’s the first time Chicago has had measurable snowfall on Halloween. Somehow that seems wrong to me, but that’s what the weather person reported. A group of my friends made plans to pub crawl in the city tonight, but I had already decided not to go. I was so happy about that decision when I saw the weather forecast. Stay warm!

@L2T—ugh—candy corn weight! I don’t like candy corn, but I’m sitting here resisting the urge to eat yet another redvine. I need to just go to bed.

Friday Fitness:
    Well it hasn’t been great—didn’t get to the gym all week and only walked gunner one day. I plan to go to the gym tomorrow for sure and maybe Sunday depending on the grading progress. I only got one more paper graded today b/c I had meeting s with students during my open periods. 21 essays remaining plus the vocab work. Very doable.
    My AP did one of my favorite discussion activities today: Speed Dating. I put their seats in pairs and they meet for 3 minutes to discuss a journal question. Then they rotate partners to meet with another student. After they’ve talked with 3 students about the same question, we come back together to discuss as a whole class. Then we move to the next questions. It’s a great Friday activity b/c they don’t get bored and get to move around the room and talk to different people.

Grading Goals:
    1. 45/66 AP essays
    2. x/60 M1948 vocab 2

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--rest day (meeting) DONE
    Tues--rest day (meeting) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Newcomers - welcome to all of you - sorry to not address each of you personally - but this holiday is driving me Crazy! Zounds! We will be back to normal as of now, November 1. and we start a new Monthly Challenge. - see the next post.

AFM - Well I'm glad I missed the Thursday Truth - if I'd been here I 'd have to say I'd fallen off the wagon and had a feast - oh my..... since I can no longer tolerate chocolate in any form, I've gotten bored with vanilla flavoring - and now with this season - oh goodness I find I enjoy the pumpkin flavored items delightful - and the bakery at the grocery store churns out these cheese-cake icing covered pumpkin bars that are THERAPEUTIC I swear! OK, back on the wagon -after this weekend, when they will be gone.

Also, saw my spine doc finally, and got a cortisone injection for my hip - and now am on orders to rest (do I do much else these day?) for 2 days to achieve good absorbtion) he was adamant about that. This is something new to me - had the shot before and don't recall that strict of a rule but boy did he stress that. I'm to keep a 2 hour chart even. But it did work so well the last time - and I'm not eager for a hip replacement.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

@MONTHLY CHALLENGE ___"ALL IN"

This month the First Challenge is to put your focus on being "ALL IN" for the month. Your efforts are focused on Keeping your calories under your daily limits every day for 30 days. (you are allowed a 100 calorie leeway in this challenge...) Also, you're allowed 2 days off - if you want. Please keep a running total of days under your calories in your posts.

The Second Goal is "ALL IN" - in whatever capacity you can do. Put all your effort in this month. On your exercise- give it your all, in controlling your weaknesses, give it your all, whatever you work on, give it YOUR ALL!

And be sure to tell us what you're giving your efforts to in your posts! Thanks!

Remember to find this Monthly Challenge by the HEARTS at the top and bottom of the post.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3