Gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Especially when I have my head phones in and guys come try to talk to me. Obviously I am not interested in being approached when I'm sweaty on a treadmill and listening to my music. Leave me alone! I am here to relieve stress, get some quality me time, and look good when I go out, hit on me then. It happens all the time at my gym because the area where I live has mostly people in their 20s and 30s, so a lot of people do approach the gym as time to meet someone but oh it drives me crazy!!

I'm the opposite...being sort of new to the state and single, I'd welcome that with open arms! :laugh:

lol
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    yep im all of these things your right.. lol no. I just think its a lot of complaining when u should be at the gym just to workout not oay attention to other people. But your right this is a post to vent. :) and im venting thanks
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    the "workout barbies" that follow thier not even so fit boyfriend, or with thier like minded friends around and barely lift any wt and giggle/wiggle/barely exercise as they trot around in skimpy clothing to get attention!!!!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I love having a home gym! The only pet peeve I have when I am working out is my puppy wants to lick me in the face when I am doing sit ups:tongue:

Here's my favorite "pet' peeve:

When I'm doing stretching & yoga poses at home, my cat wants to sit on me! :love: :laugh: :bigsmile:

She lays on my stomach when I'm on my back & gets on my back when I'm on my stomach! MEOW!!!!
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    This is the reason I love having a home gym! The only pet peeve I have when I am working out is my puppy wants to lick me in the face when I am doing sit ups:tongue:

When I'm doing stretching & yoga poses at home, my cat wants to sit on me! :love: :laugh: :bigsmile:

She lays on my stomach when I'm on my back & gets on my back when I'm on my stomach! MEOW!!!!

Ha, I have 3 cats and they actually do yoga!! Love it they act like me or chase my hair.
    Pet peeve, I have a super girl my 5 year old did 12 REAL push ups the other night, then ended in the splits, little show off :devil:
  • breezy81
    Options
    My only peeve of my current (all womens, REGULAR women, not gym rats)gym is those who pay extra for boot camps then cry for the entire 60 minutes because "it's tooooo ha-ard" boo freakin who shut up move it :huh:
  • breezy81
    Options
    I do believe there is a difference between workout sweat and body odour. I go to the gym fairly clean ( I do not shower right before). I work out very hard and I sweat buckets. I have sweat dripping off my face, down my chest and back and my hair at the back is soaked. It is not a pretty picture, but I am there to work out and not there to look pretty.

I can offend myself at the end of a work out but it is necessary to get results. If I offend others, please forgive me. I promise to go and shower right afterwards!

You mean we aren't supposed to be ready to hit the town right after?? I go to a small gym and there are no showers, it can be bad riding home locked in the car with myself but hey I'm shedding those inches
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

My golden retriever interprets any exercise done on the floor (stretching, push ups, ab work, you name it) as "it's time to fight and wrestle" and starts barking, jumping around, etc.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

My golden retriever interprets any exercise done on the floor (stretching, push ups, ab work, you name it) as "it's time to fight and wrestle" and starts barking, jumping around, etc.

My dogs do that, too. It's hard to do a push up while there's a dog nipping at your hands.
  • Pattyisgr8
    Pattyisgr8 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ok I am allergic to smoke, so being around smokers is not for me...today working out w/ my trainer a guy walks over and reeks of smoke....it was 6 am, really how many cigs did you have...normally if I were working out on my own I would have moved I mean its not his falt that I can't breath, but w/ my trainer I always push through it...:ohwell:
    ...this is personal, b/c I am the one suffering, I don't hate smokers, I just can't be around it...I guess this goes w/ too much perfume
  • BethMarie920
    Options
    There are three lanes to swim in at the Y I am a member of. Today two of the lanes were being used, and shared. In the third lane was two girls with their hair pulled up, and using the kick boards. Not only did they manage to not get their hair wet but they also chatted the entire time, while a man waited for someone to finish to get his workout in.

Finally after 8 laps or so they left to get changed. I swam a 1800 yards. When I got to the locker room to change, those same girls were blow drying and curling their hair and putting on make up as if they were going out on the town.

Don't use this time to socialize with your friend. Do your workout and get on with it.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options

My dogs do that, too. It's hard to do a push up while there's a dog nipping at your hands.

My cat grabs my feet when I'm doing my ballet exercises. I keep hoping the extra weight on it will help develop more strength! LOL!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    the "workout barbies" that follow thier not even so fit boyfriend, or with thier like minded friends around and barely lift any wt and giggle/wiggle/barely exercise as they trot around in skimpy clothing to get attention!!!!

LOL! I liked the term "gym bunnies" personally. That doesn't bother me so much as when they sit on machines and DON'T use them, keeping the rest of us from using them in our workout routines. THAT is a pet peeve. Or people who have done a set, then sit on a machine for ten or fifteen minutes yakking on a phone, again stopping others from using them. Grrr!
  • christine918
    Options
    I work out really hard when I'm at the gym. I hate it when I am in the middle of a 6 mile speed work out on the treadmill and people come up and try to carry on a normal conversation with me. It doesn't bother me when I'm at a reasonable speed, but when u are doing 10 and 11 mph intravels you cant talk very well! lol

I also hate people who hover and dudes that stare.

Oh, and people who are not in as good of shape as you that say "Slow down before you break it" Its like they make fun of me for working out super hard.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    +1 on the conversation thing.

"Hey, honey, I'm trying to blast my pecs right now. It's painful, it's difficult, it's wonderful - but it takes a bit of concentration, can we decide which brand of kitty litter is best at another time?"
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky with my gym I go to now, it's never busy. The gym I used to go to in LA, man it was packed all the time and it would piss me off when people would be on the treadmill or elliptical for an hour, even though there were signs all over saying there are 30 minute limits as a courtesy to others.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    People who stink!!!! like BO.
    <<snip>>
    I love this post! Sorry I got a lil carried away I hate ignorant people..

My biggest problem is that all my workout wear is 1-2 years old. Being out of work, I have been making do. However, the "technical" fabrics I prefer have a tendency to accumulate odor over time, regardless of how thoroughly they are washed. It seems like everything is going at once--the shoes are worn out and all the shirts are starting to smell.

Looks like I am going to have to give up my new all-clad frying pan and get new workout clothes for christmas. :cry:

An awesome deodorizer for laundry is baking soda. Just make sure you put it in the water first and let it get mixed in before you add your clothes. About 1/4 cup for a small load, or 1/2 cup for a large load, and it's cheap!
  • breezy81
    Options
    People who stink!!!! like BO.
    <<snip>>
    I love this post! Sorry I got a lil carried away I hate ignorant people..

My biggest problem is that all my workout wear is 1-2 years old. Being out of work, I have been making do. However, the "technical" fabrics I prefer have a tendency to accumulate odor over time, regardless of how thoroughly they are washed. It seems like everything is going at once--the shoes are worn out and all the shirts are starting to smell.

Looks like I am going to have to give up my new all-clad frying pan and get new workout clothes for christmas. :cry:

An awesome deodorizer for laundry is baking soda. Just make sure you put it in the water first and let it get mixed in before you add your clothes. About 1/4 cup for a small load, or 1/2 cup for a large load, and it's cheap!

Another good deodorizer is vinegar, I use it on my towels every week and they come out so fresh!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

OMG I know what you mean. This girl in my spin class was wearing a sports bra and went by the window where the heavy weights were (obviously where the guys would be) and was stretching. Ok its right by the door way so that is not a logical place to stand and stretch and another girl at the same class wears a skirt thing (like for tennis); I mean really? I just sit there and look at her 30 mins in and think "I bet your thighs are killing you from rubbing together" lol. This girl too walks around strutting a sports bra. I mean I am one of those girls that has to feel good while I work out but thats with a wife beater and yoga pants not a whole outfit and hair done!!!! Guys do it too so its not just the girls.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    yep im all of these things your right.. lol no. I just think its a lot of complaining when u should be at the gym just to workout not oay attention to other people. But your right this is a post to vent. :) and im venting thanks

Wow I could just hear your valley girl tone "lol no... thanks". It is not paying attention to people its being distracted with people's rudeness. THANKS