Why are people on these forums so mean?

Options
This is a fitness site. Aimed at losing weight and becoming healthier. Everyone is different. Why judge people so harshly? It seems that most people are in their own bubbles. If something is said that is outside someone's bubble. BAM! Hate comments. I don't understand. We are here to support each other! Has anyone noticed this? Am I the only one that feels really sad when someone is completely disrespected in the forums, even if I don't agree with what they are saying? Please try to be more understanding.
All this talk about eating under BMR, eating back exercise calories, eating less than 1200. It's fine to argue over it, but most people jump to drastic conclusions and peoples' feelings are really hurt. Everyone is different, so everyone has their own weight loss journey. It doesn't make them a stupid or bad person. And, stop hating on people with EDs. They don't have one on purpose! Whether that have Anorexia, Binge Eating Disorder, or ED-NOS, it's not your place to tell them things that they already tell themselves everyday and that they already hear from other people!
Sorry for the rant. I'm not sure if many people will read this. Please tell me I'm not alone in thinking that some people should have more respect towards others. Thanks!

Replies

• iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    people get cranky when theyre hungry
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It's the internet. If you can't take someone being a jerk to you and not take it personally in your real life, it's best to avoid open public forums and stick to your real-life friends, your MFP contacts, or groups. Just comes with the territory.
  • CatLambee
    Options
    I don't really think people on these forums are mean at all, especially compared to most other internet forums.

I've been lurking for a while and I mostly see nothing but support, especially in the Success Stories section.

If you can't handle the occasional meanie, it's best to stay off of online communities altogether.

That being said, don't pay any mind to some of the total fitness fanatics running around, telling you their way is the BEST AND ONLY way to do things. Do what works for you.

Do whatever gives you the best body and mind you can have. :)
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

That might be it
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am not being mean..honest. But at least once...sometimes more...times a day, someone starts a thread with the same complaint. Its part of the wonderful world of the internet. All you can do is ignore the negative and spread the positive. :)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    People don't like when other people are honest.
  • Family_Man
    Options
    Because "lose" and "loose" can drive you crazy...:laugh:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am not being mean..honest. But at least once...sometimes more...times a day, someone starts a thread with the same complaint. Its part of the wonderful world of the internet. All you can do is ignore the negative and spread the positive. :)

Yeah, quite often the same threads do come up. But it doesn't mean you have to read it or comment at all. People may not know the question's already been asked or know how to search for a topic. I've been on here a couple of months now and I didn't know you could do that.

OP I get what you're saying. Everyone is so sure their way is the best and only way and sometimes just go too far.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options

haha you said it.

i've only been on this site a week but i see lots of folks treating it like facebook or twitter or something, posting mean comments making fun of others and frankly, posting some weird stuff like gangsta song lyrics and really intimate sexual innuendos

i mean. i'm not trying to judge but that's why facebook is facebook and this is a fitness forum. it's a place to count calories and discuss wellness and weight loss and connect to others who are sharing the same struggle.

i've seen people post with an attitude when they think a question is "stupid". we are all here to learn and as far as i'm concerned if it feels like bullying it does not belong here at all.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I must admit to having a giggle here, a few weeks ago when I joined MFP ok a few months now how time flies.... I used to think the same thing, about people being mean when it was really unnecessary... but when you start to see the same thread over and over and over and over and OVER again.... you can kinda understand why people get cranky.... I am not mean enough to "verbalize" my crankiness... however I can understand why it irks people who have been around for a while :P
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    'cause if we support unhealthy behavior, it encourages other people to try unhealthy behavior.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are mean to people who have eating disorders, as someone with an eating disorder in my past I have never felt like I've been treated poorly here. I have seen people who encourage disordered eating shot down harshly, as they should be.

I don't think people here are mean, I've seen actual meanness on the internet, people here are blunt and they don't sugar coat them, but I don't think they're being mean.

People joke that people get mean when they're hungry, I think it goes the other way, too; people get hyper sensitive when they're hungry.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hate to break it to you but not everyone is here to support other people, everyone has there own reasons for being here and just like in the real world people are going to be mean. As well some people can take the truth, not because someone says something you don't agree with doesn't make it wrong.
    I see something I don't like I just ignore it. simple

:flowerforyou:
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I couldnt agree more MoreBean13!
  • Vermilliana
    Vermilliana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thing is, when it comes to health and fitness stuff, you do get a fair share of...arrogant people. Y'know, the ones who think they are the best thing since sliced bread because they are in wicked shape. These are usually people that have an easier time losing weight or gaining muscle and don't understand the emotional aspect that affects many of us in this arena. I've switched gyms because of people like that, and I've been removed from gyms (for the day) for sticking up for people just starting out on their weight loss journeys who were being insulted and called down by these High and Mighty types. They can be very imposing face-to-face...but here? thats words. Only Words. If they are mean words, disregard them and move on. Don't allow their comments to affect you because they are nothing but pale words on a screen, and nothing you can say or do will change some peoples attitudes. I've been 195 lbs at 5 feet tall, I understand that such a thing is easier said than done because its easy to allow words to cut when you feel weak, I've been there. Thing is? No matter What shape you are inm You Are Stronger Than That....but only if you believe you are. You can't change them, you can only change how You react to them. Be strong!
  • char_char_piper
    Options

Indeed! :ohwell:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    This is a fitness site. Aimed at losing weight and becoming healthier. Everyone is different. Why judge people so harshly? It seems that most people are in their own bubbles. If something is said that is outside someone's bubble. BAM! Hate comments. I don't understand. We are here to support each other! Has anyone noticed this? Am I the only one that feels really sad when someone is completely disrespected in the forums, even if I don't agree with what they are saying? Please try to be more understanding.
    All this talk about eating under BMR, eating back exercise calories, eating less than 1200. It's fine to argue over it, but most people jump to drastic conclusions and peoples' feelings are really hurt. Everyone is different, so everyone has their own weight loss journey. It doesn't make them a stupid or bad person. And, stop hating on people with EDs. They don't have one on purpose! Whether that have Anorexia, Binge Eating Disorder, or ED-NOS, it's not your place to tell them things that they already tell themselves everyday and that they already hear from other people!
    Sorry for the rant. I'm not sure if many people will read this. Please tell me I'm not alone in thinking that some people should have more respect towards others. Thanks!

That's a broad generalization. People bring to the table what they know and what their experience has been. It's up to you to be selective in what you read, who you befriend and what you apply to your weight loss. People are just people.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Because "lose" and "loose" can drive you crazy...:laugh:

As a former English teacher, if I went berserk every time I saw a grammatical error on this forum, I would never stop.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Because most people think their way is the only way. No one knows that better than a low carber. I get more *kitten* for that than I ever imagined possible, though it clearly works for me. *looks pointedly at ticker and picture*
This discussion has been closed.