Why are people on these forums so mean?

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    They're called keyboard cowards - people that let their true colors show only when there's no risk of them having to actually face the consequences of their actions/opinions/thoughts. I mostly ignore them because they're primarily looking for attention in the form of controversy and by giving them any attention at all you're validating their cowardly ways.

Kinda like people who skip all their workouts and eat whatever they want and tell themselves over and over that they dont care and there are no real consequences to their actions and inactions as long as they are spending time on a fitness website saying good job to people and procrastinating doing anything because they are too busy on the internet looking at fun fitness quotes and the statuses of people actually working out! Cause they are primarily looking for attention in the form of everlasting support for a struggle they arent progressing with (or even giving 25% effort) and by not telling them that they are doing it wrong, we are totally validating their stubborn rejection of change.

Did I strike a nerve? Seems like the response of someone who's being defensive... considering I've lost over 60 lbs this year.

nah uh - just throwing a separate option out into the universe - different kinds of interactions appeal to different kinds of people - so this one was sent out to the people that havent been represented by opinions yet in this thread :drinker: congrats on sixty!

:drinker:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with original post. Who are you to judge someone? Just do your thing and move along. Peace and God bless

But God judges everyone, and I'm just trying to be more like him :[

If that were true, you would have capitalized "him".

Your powers of observation are astounding.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I Still think searching the forum for 'mean people' is kinda weird ha ha :laugh: Please note my laughing smiley. It's meant with humour not big nasty meanness x
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I Still think searching the forum for 'mean people' is kinda weird ha ha :laugh: Please note my laughing smiley. It's meant with humour not big nasty meanness x

Damned if I start a new thread....damned if I search for "mean posters" :wink:

And I keep wanting to tell you that I think you look great.....you have a great shape and Im jealous.That coming from a weirdo,
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Damned if I start a new thread....damned if I search for "mean posters" :wink:

And I keep wanting to tell you that I think you look great.....you have a great shape and Im jealous.

I did not say you were weird! Not at all. And yes I see your point about the searching thing. I'll shut up now and do something productive like go to work. Urgh. Your kinda cool actually, I'm sure you'll fit in here very well :-))
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with original post. Who are you to judge someone? Just do your thing and move along. Peace and God bless

Yes, now go tell my boss I deserve a raise for using these powers to her benefit!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Yes, now go tell my boss I deserve a raise for using these powers to her benefit!

i guarantee god doesn't have a gender, sorry to disappoint
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    my theory is that people use forums, comment threads, etc. on the internet to take out their general frustrations about life on total strangers and with no repercussions.
    I must admit to having a giggle here, a few weeks ago when I joined MFP ok a few months now how time flies.... I used to think the same thing, about people being mean when it was really unnecessary... but when you start to see the same thread over and over and over and over and OVER again.... you can kinda understand why people get cranky.... I am not mean enough to "verbalize" my crankiness... however I can understand why it irks people who have been around for a while :P

for example, this ^^^ i get where you're coming from, but i don't understand why people feel like they need to weigh in if the question makes them cranky. why answer the same question over and over and over and over again? why not leave it to someone who can answer it with a helpful smile.
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I did not say you were weird! Not at all. And yes I see your point about the searching thing. I'll shut up now and do something productive like go to work. Urgh. Your kinda cool actually, I'm sure you'll fit in here very well :-))

HA! Well thank you :heart:

And I completely agree with lallalooly up there. If you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump *evil laugh*
  • 2BeFit4Jesus
    Options
    They're called keyboard cowards - people that let their true colors show only when there's no risk of them having to actually face the consequences of their actions/opinions/thoughts. I mostly ignore them because they're primarily looking for attention in the form of controversy and by giving them any attention at all you're validating their cowardly ways.

Kinda like people who skip all their workouts and eat whatever they want and tell themselves over and over that they dont care and there are no real consequences to their actions and inactions as long as they are spending time on a fitness website saying good job to people and procrastinating doing anything because they are too busy on the internet looking at fun fitness quotes and the statuses of people actually working out! Cause they are primarily looking for attention in the form of everlasting support for a struggle they arent progressing with (or even giving 25% effort) and by not telling them that they are doing it wrong, we are totally validating their stubborn rejection of change.

Sounds like a perfect reason to criticize people. Well done.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bump *evil laugh*

Forgiven for your awesome toile ticker.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump *evil laugh*

Forgiven for your awesome toile ticker.

Haha! Thanks! I'm under my quota of immaturity for the year, which usually never happens. So I just HAD to!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hmm. This one smells like recent bumpage.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    I don't really think people on these forums are mean at all, especially compared to most other internet forums.

Agreed. The "jerks" on this website are NOTHING compared to the video game websites I visit. I wish every website could be this civil.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Old thread is old and we are closing as is our policy with "mean people" threads and removed today's posts. If you feel someone is being attacked or wish to report other community guideline violations, please first read this discussion and then, as appropriate, report the post.
This discussion has been closed.