Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    From now on the standard issue for any woman over the age of 20 should be a burlap sack. Problem solved!

There were some pretty awesome pieces from the burlap sack challenge of Project Runway. I could dig it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You know why just limit this to Junior clothing? How about women over the age of 20 shouldn't wear:

High heels -- this includes very high heels with a slight platform in the front
    Bikini's
    Knee high, thigh high, hell any sort of boot
    Tank tops
    Shorts
    Skirts
    Jeans
    Leggings
    Strapless shirts/dresses
    Short sleeves
    Long sleeves
    Pony tails
    Long hair
    Make up
    Sneakers
    Flip flops
    Tight shirts
    Short shirts
    Low rise pants

From now on the standard issue for any woman over the age of 20 should be a burlap sack. Problem solved!

All of those items can easily be found outside the juniors department.

Maybe so but a lot of the items aren't "age appropriate" or "sophisticated", now are they? :huh: Your whole beef is that women have to shop for "age appropriate sophisticated" clothes.

I wouldn't consider any of those things NOT age appropriate for a 30 year old, except flip flops unless you are on the beach but I hate the noise they make, short shirts, those are just out of style (thankfully).

Actually short shirts aren't out of style. I've recently bought a bunch of really cute midriff baring shirts from Body Central.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    A few examples of misses clothing from Macy's and JC Penney:

While you look great in all of them, I wouldn't wear a single item in these pictures. That is not my style at all.

Today I am wearing a shirt titled "The Periodic Table of Pirates" (black with white table of elements with jokes written in them), Levi jeans (juniors), and a grey zip-up hoodie with a skull and crossbones and rhinestones. And a black plastic headband with a butterfly on it, accenting my bleach blonde pixie with pink highlights.

Maybe I'm not dressing my age (24), but I sure am dressing my style!

It's fine if they're not your style, but you wouldn't call them frumpy, either, would you? That's what people keep saying about misses departments, that they're all frumpy and clearly they aren't.

And I could never, ever wear what you describe to my job even I were 24 and that was "my style." I'd still have to have different clothes. I could wear all but the maxi dress to work (and did). And the maxi dress only because it's a halter and not easy to wear a sweater or blazer over the top of it.

Honestly, since you did ask, I am sorry but yes, I consider the first and last look a little "frumpy". Like the other poster said, frumpy is subjective. I am sure you don't consider it frumpy and aren't considered frumpy in the environment that you work in.

Luckily, I am a full time chemistry grad student and we pretty much HAVE to wear jeans and t-shirts. My boss jokes about my pink hair but doesn't mind it. Since I also have a nose piercing and a visible tattoo, my clothing will be one of the last things to get me booted from a job.
    ^^Ditto that on the frumy part. Hate to say it, but the skirt and the shirt are just a no.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    short shirts, those are just out of style (thankfully).

Well *kitten*, I wore this last weekend. Yeah, I bought it from the Jr section lol

400492_3516571953566_1272034782_n.jpg

please pardon the hair it was a wee bit windy which did nothing for my pixie cut lol
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Well *kitten*, I wore this last weekend. Yeah, I bought it from the Jr section lol

please pardon the hair it was a wee bit windy which did nothing for my pixie cut lol

Super cute...but are those Vibrams? For sharme!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

While you look great in all of them, I wouldn't wear a single item in these pictures. That is not my style at all.

Today I am wearing a shirt titled "The Periodic Table of Pirates" (black with white table of elements with jokes written in them), Levi jeans (juniors), and a grey zip-up hoodie with a skull and crossbones and rhinestones. And a black plastic headband with a butterfly on it, accenting my bleach blonde pixie with pink highlights.

It's fine if they're not your style, but you wouldn't call them frumpy, either, would you? That's what people keep saying about misses departments, that they're all frumpy and clearly they aren't.

And I could never, ever wear what you describe to my job even I were 24 and that was "my style." I'd still have to have different clothes. I could wear all but the maxi dress to work (and did). And the maxi dress only because it's a halter and not easy to wear a sweater or blazer over the top of it.

Honestly, since you did ask, I am sorry but yes, I consider the first and last look a little "frumpy". Like the other poster said, frumpy is subjective. I am sure you don't consider it frumpy and aren't considered frumpy in the environment that you work in.

Luckily, I am a full time chemistry grad student and we pretty much HAVE to wear jeans and t-shirts. My boss jokes about my pink hair but doesn't mind it. Since I also have a nose piercing and a visible tattoo, my clothing will be one of the last things to get me booted from a job.
    ^^Ditto that on the frumy part. Hate to say it, but the skirt and the shirt are just a no.

Interestingly, I get a ton of compliments on them every time I wear them. I guess people like frumpy. :-)
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i wear Jeans from the jr section, but i always make sure they fit right, and theres nothing hanging over lol..
    ive expirenced jeans from the not jr section and if you like them going up past ur belly button then u should totally shop in the ladies section in my hometown kohls but for me not gonna happen lol

shorts i get from gap..not into my *kitten* hanging out everywhere kinda shorts.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm imagining the majority of you with Justin Bieber t-shirts on and neon bracelets.

That would be the girl's section at Target, not the junior's department at a department store. Just fyi.

Yah and all you guys don't nock the kids section either!! :) HAH! I get most of my workout shorts & bras from there... OW AND SOCKS!!! Even thought the shorts are still too big IN THE KIDS SECTION and I have to roll the size 10-12 shorts (size Medium/Large IN KIDS) 2 times so they aren't hanging down to my knees, heheh. I sometimes wear their tank tops and so on but Juniors fits me better.... Well I like the long tank top look and so on for lounging around the house. The shorts in the picture are an xtra small juniors, so size 0. I think they fit nicely.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Lol I know, but they're so damned comfy!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Yeah, grad school was awesome like that, septum piercing and all, no one cared. Any chemistry job I've looked at though was "business casual (jeans on fridays!)" I still have the septum piercing, but I don't wear so it shows at work, obviously.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Yeah, grad school was awesome like that, septum piercing and all, no one cared. Any chemistry job I've looked at, though was "business casual (jeans on fridays!)" I still have the septum piercing, but I don't wear so it shows at work, obviously.

Yeah, I figure I will need to tone it down when I get a "real job". Hence, I'm getting the pink hair out of the system now ;-)
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I really don't think 20 should be the cut-off. Seriously? I'm 23 and in college. If I dressed the way you described, well... *shudders* I want to look my age, and I refuse to give up my Hello Kitty until I'm 30. Maybe if I land a professional job after college I'll consider dressing sharper, but cheap and fashionable just makes sense right now. I do agree about the crappy quality of junior clothes though.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'll play since I started it. But does Old Navy count as juniors? Cause yeah, I shop there a lot and buy cheap clothes. I'm a huge hypocrite. I also already apologized for those who missed it.

Old Navy sweater, $24 "mom" jeans from JC Penney:
    IMAG0619-1.jpg

Old Navy dress w/ used Nine West boots:
    IMAG0652.jpg

Walgreens dress, seriously.
    IMAG0985.jpg

Walmart sweater, JC Penny pants:
    IMAG0995.jpg

Old Navy tank, Kohl's shorts:
    IMAG0992-1.jpg

Kohls dress, Banana Republic jacket (I have the whole suit).
    IMAG0183.jpg
    Now I see why the OP was hating.

Mom haircut - Check.

Mom clothes - Check.

Mom jeans - Check. The saggy knee look works on no one.

Bermuda shorts - Check. Seriously, just no.

Yea, I'm gonna stick to the junior's section. Maybe when I'm 40, I'll dress like I'm 40. But while I'm in my 20s....not so much.

Wow. That's way meaner than anything I've said. Thanks. I wasn't hating on anyone. I happen to like how I dress. I AM a mom. I'm 32. I work in an office. I also like short hair.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'll play since I started it. But does Old Navy count as juniors? Cause yeah, I shop there a lot and buy cheap clothes. I'm a huge hypocrite. I also already apologized for those who missed it.

Old Navy sweater, $24 "mom" jeans from JC Penney:
    IMAG0619-1.jpg

Old Navy dress w/ used Nine West boots:
    IMAG0652.jpg

Walgreens dress, seriously.
    IMAG0985.jpg

Walmart sweater, JC Penny pants:
    IMAG0995.jpg

Old Navy tank, Kohl's shorts:
    IMAG0992-1.jpg

Kohls dress, Banana Republic jacket (I have the whole suit).
    IMAG0183.jpg

Mom haircut - Check.

Mom clothes - Check.

Yea, I'm gonna stick to the junior's section. Maybe when I'm 40, I'll dress like I'm 40. But while I'm in my 20s....not so much.

The only thing you are wearing that I would even consider wearing is the blue dress and that is still a "Maybe" personally it's not my style at all. I like my jeans to snug my butt, simply because I already don't have much a butt so I feel like if its baggy it's not gonna flatter me at all. I've worked hard and still working hard on my body. If you feel comfy in the misses department go right on and wear it, but I'm gonna stick with the Jr. Department...

The other person who posted photo's of the clothes she bought from I think Macy's? None of what you posted I would even consider wearing. Very frumpy looking for my taste. Again to each their own, I'm not going to tell you that you should wear something else though, because evidently it's not your taste. Just as no one should tell anyone else what they should wear, let us wear what we want, there should be no judging on either end. I don't judge a 300lb woman for wearing a bikini, I'm 134lbs and I still won't wear one in public and when I see a woman who is 300lbs in a bikini I don't think "Oh she shouldn't wear that" I think "I wish I had the confidence to wear a bikini." I'm working on it but everyone is different.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Mom haircut - Check.

Mom clothes - Check.

[/quote]

I could never show up to work in those clothes. My boss would tear them off me and redress me herself. She'd ask me why I thought it was ok to show up for work as though I'd given up on fashion when fashion is my job. Did I WANT to be mistaken for a Jehovah's Witness*?

*I can say that cause I put in my 20 years of servitude.

ETA: you can find mature and classic clothing in the juniors section, just like you can find innappropriate frump clothing in the juniors section, and you could probably find hip trendy things in the misses/women's department as well as da frump. people have personal preferences and other people dont like that. They want everyone to have the same personal preferences that they do.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Yeah, grad school was awesome like that, septum piercing and all, no one cared. Any chemistry job I've looked at, though was "business casual (jeans on fridays!)" I still have the septum piercing, but I don't wear so it shows at work, obviously.

Yeah, I figure I will need to tone it down when I get a "real job". Hence, I'm getting the pink hair out of the system now ;-)

My only real regret in life is not getting a mohawk before I had to get a real job. Seriously, I would've looked like Wendy O' Williams, two feet of hair to hawk!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I'm surprised that you would compliment her on her look, as I recall baggy knees on jeans don't look good on anyone and qualify said jeans as "mom jeans."
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    I'm surprised that you would compliment her on her look, as I recall baggy knees on jeans don't look good on anyone and qualify said jeans as "mom jeans."

Those jeans are Juniors. Levi's. Not baggy at all (wearing them right now)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

My only real regret in life is not getting a mohawk before I had to get a real job. Seriously, I would've looked like Wendy O' Williams, two feet of hair to hawk!

I would LOVE a mo-hawk but settle for my faux-hawk (in my profile picture right now) because my husband would die if I shaved my head lol.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... I might agree if all that came out of the jr. section were shorts/pants that had some words on the butt (not my thing... used to be, but not anymore) or were bedazzled the hell out of it... But there are some cute appropriate things in the Jr. department... and there are people like me, who are built in such a way, that making it "shorter" doesn't automatically make it "flattering"... so as long as it flatters and it's comfortable... why does it matter which department it comes out of... Personally, I can't wait until I can fit into jr. clothing again so I have a broader choice of styles and cuts that don't make me look like a beached whale or that my boobs hang too low because I'm not wearing a playtex 18-hour granny bra... I'm short, I'm small framed, and short waisted (when I place my finger inbetween my hips and my ribs they touch both at the same time without moving)... I would like to look it... and sometimes the petite section just doesn't cut it.

There are only so many empire waisted blouses and dresses a short girl can wear, before going crazy.

Now, I'm going to print off this thread and place it where I can see it so I have motivation to get my fat butt moving again.