Lance Armstrong admits to cheating.

Options

Replies

• trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The topic was an opps. Read the thread and you'll see that stated.

As I have said,

Honestly. Do you think with ZERO evidence they would strip him.... come on people. They are not stripping an international icon and amazing athlete, if they got nothing.

Yes, absolutely. It isnt the cycling committee condemning him. This committee cares nothing for the actual sport and has no vested interest in cycling. It is purely an anti doping agency. Nothing more.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So every person in this case is a liar except Armstrong?
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In my heart, I know he did this on his own. He deserves every one of those seven wins! The USADA have been relentless in coming after this guy. This is one person fighting a huge organization with vast resources intent on destroying his legacy. Despite that, he has rebuilt himself. Regardless of this surrender, he has maintained his innocence and continues to inspire cancer survivors.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong."

Live Strong, Lance.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The topic was an opps. Read the thread and you'll see that stated.

As I have said,

Honestly. Do you think with ZERO evidence they would strip him.... come on people. They are not stripping an international icon and amazing athlete, if they got nothing.

Yes, absolutely. It isnt the cycling committee condemning him. This committee cares nothing for the actual sport and has no vested interest in cycling. It is purely an anti doping agency. Nothing more.

Of course the committee has no special interests....exactly... they are an anti-coping organization.... which is what they are accusing him of... If they were a group with a special interest in cycling I would have more concern.
    I get that people are upset because he is such an icon and has done amazing things regarding raising money for cancer but rules are rules. Athletes know the consequences.

I guess what it boils down to is whether or not you believe he was doping. Some people do, some don't. Maybe time will tell....
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    He is fighting against a group that is choosing to use its resources on a witch hunt against him, whom they tested more than any athlete ever and were unable to ever catch cheating. They turned it from finding proof he cheated to forcing him to prove he didn't and they weren't going to take the passed drug tests as evidence. He has used his own money to defend himself to the tune of MILLIONS of dollars and they had him set up in a situation in which he could not win no matter how innocent.

He has more important things to do. Like continue to be the most effective fund raiser and advocate ever for those suffering from and surviving cancer.

Too bad the USADA is so obsessed with him they aren't dealing with the cheats out there that do test positive.

And a perspective from someone who covers the sport.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8299180/lance-armstrong-decision-not-fight-usada-charges-mark-surprising-end-all-time-great-fighter
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Yes, Lance has done some amazing things in his life, and that's wonderful but it doesn't come into play with this subject. Same goes for the not so nice personal life issues, as well as the theory "if everyones doing it, I can do it"

He tested positive to 3 tests. However, after a large donation made by Lance to the laboratory..... only 1 test could be found.
    10 of his ex -team mates at this time are willing to testify against him. Armstrong sued to block the case against him, but his suit was rejected Monday. Instead of having the world listen to ALL the testimony, he’s decided to let his legacy fall where it may.

this is pretty much exactly it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    to all who say he never failed a test...im pretty sure thats wrong. on the radio they were saying Sports Illustrated had an article where he failed tests and made a donation to the lab and it was stricken.

the guy is dirty.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Unless he's released a statement I've not yet seen, I don't read anything in his reaction statement as "admitting". I read it as being sick and tired of defending himself, and full out refusing to give further comments.
  • delta90017
    Options
    The "I'm not gong to fight it" is the equivalent of a No Lo plea in the law. It's treated as pleading guilty.

There are 10 wtnesses who would have testified that they saw him shoot up before races.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    to all who say he never failed a test...im pretty sure thats wrong. on the radio they were saying Sports Illustrated had an article where he failed tests and made a donation to the lab and it was stricken.

the guy is dirty.

right. 2001. that's one of the things that was going to be brought up here very soon. at least one former teammate had knowledge of this happening. he had a personal meeting with the head of the UCI in switzerland. Then, a $125,000 donation later, the head of the lab was instructed to quit looking into the test. he swore to that to the FBI.

also, as I said earlier, his soigneur said that in 1999, the team forged a back-dated prescription to explain a positive test after the first stage of that Tour.

look. if Armstrong didn't dope then he's the only high-level, winning cyclist who didn't. That takes a pretty big leap of faith.

I don't buy this whole, "the fight's too hard so I'll quit" stuff.

"I doped. And I apologize. Unfortunately, everyone in that era did the same." -- or something like that would have been a good apology about 5 years ago.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    (and the argument that he didn't have the money to fight this? that's just plain wrong. he's said he has enough money in the bank to live comfortably and take care of his kids and his kids' kids. he has a house in colorado, one in texas and is building one in hawaii. I think he's got a decent checking account balance.)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    In my heart, I know he did this on his own. He deserves every one of those seven wins!

This right here should put and end to the allegations!
    The USADA have been relentless in coming after this guy. This is one person fighting a huge organization with vast resources intent on destroying his legacy. Despite that, he has rebuilt himself. Regardless of this surrender, he has maintained his innocence and continues to inspire cancer survivors.

It's so unfair that a huge organization would go after a doper and a cheater. You know, unless he actually did it.
    [/quote]
    "You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong."

Live Strong, Lance.

You can strengthen them with drugs, however.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If he proceeded with the court he would either had to lie or admit the truth. If he committed perjury he'd be facing jail time ala Marion Jones. If he told the truth, he'd lose more than he has at this point in terms of fans and credibility.
    Withdrawing now saves him some face and keeps him out of jail.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    and if he admits or is found guilty, he loses LOTS of money. many of his sponsor and endorsement contracts have a clause that say if he was doping, he has to return the cash. hell of a reason to avoid the truth coming out.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    In my heart, I have no place for your stupid logic and critical thinking!
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    He never admitted to cheating. He just gave up the fight b/c it was taking a toll on him & his family. Did he cheat? Who knows...but it is sad that such a legacy ends in scandal.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Is there a particularly unruly parrot in this thread?
    He never admitted to cheating.

No. But that neither proves nor disproves the allegations.
    He just gave up the fight b/c it was taking a toll on him & his family.

Actually no. He claims that he just gave up the fight because it was taking a toll on him and his family. That's potentially quite different.

Did he cheat? Who knows...but it is sad that such a legacy ends in scandal.

It might be sad that such a legacy was built on doping and cheating.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Perhaps he'll start his own investigation on who murdered his wi... I mean who was doing all the doping.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    25413120.jpg