Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a "vegan Pescatarian." I eat fish for my b12, but I otherwise try to avoid meat and dairy. I am not as hyper-vigilant as a true vegan, so at restaurants if something has butter or cheese (and I forgot to ask them to leave it off) or is otherwise made with dairy, I don't stress. Same if I eat at someone else's house.

I originally became a vegetarian because of the environmental impact, and I feel much better about that with my highly reduced dairy consumption. Plus, I eat very healthy now! I've lost 11 pounds since I made the switch from Vegetarian to mostly vegan (admittedly I also avoid some of the junk I was eating).
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Equal Opportunity Eater

Love Food!
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i tried vegan and blew up like a balloon. so i'll stick to my MEAT!!!!!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If it had a face, give me a taste.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Meat eater! I'm way to picky to only eat veggies and vegan?? i would die....no cheese or real ice cream forever? no thank you. I am super impressed people who can make those choices though.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All of the above. I eat omnivorous, vegetarian, and vegan meals. Just depends on my mood. I think restricting myself to one particular type of diet is silly, there's way too much amazing food out there.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm a plant-based dieter, what ever that is called. Almost vegan but not completely...I still eat greek yogurt for dairy and chicken breast or fish. If I want a burger, I'll eat it, but my desire for meat is almost nonexistant, with the previously noted exceptions. I figure even Jesus ate fish, so that has to be ok! I find that by consuming lots of plants with as little cooking or processing as possible, I feel better--all the other benefits (environmental, etc.) are bonuses.
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    I am a meat eater...I do love my veggies too though! We buy local meat; grass fed beef and chicken, fresh caught fish. Very seldom do we eat pork because we don't know anyone who sells it here so it's from the grocery store.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I was a lacto vegetarian for 10 years, I actually started eating meat again (specifically chicken breast and fish) for the protein!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am an everythinginmoderationilist. Really would love to be able to be vegan..as it would go with my pagan beliefs..tried it and got sick. I just can't do all that rubbery food that is supposed to be a substitute for meat products. I do try to do hormone free as much as I can .
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    All food can have "things" that are bad for you. I eat whole foods, and even the beef and pork is grass fed.

There have been lots of studies done, but in the end, it is mostly processed foods that are the worst for you. Add to that sugar, saturated fats, and processed carbs while you are at it.

Stick to whole grains, organic veggies, fruit, and dairy products and you'll avoid a lot of potentially toxic chemicals and other ingredients.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I love meat & potatoes & tossed salads. I also eat a lot of chicken and trying to increase my fish.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The most valuable thing I have learned from my year on MFP is that I need to listen to my body. I am not talking about cravings for cheesy poofs, but really listening to what I desire. Paying attention to that has served me quite well. I have never looked nor felt better.
    That means listening to what I really crave as far as protein. I don't restrict meat, but I also don't make a point of eating it every day. I am naturally leaning toward mostly vegetable sources of proteins. If I do eat meat, it is usually fish.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I'm really not a huge fan of meat, but I'm not strictly vegetarian because I do eat meat sometimes. I absolutely LOVE bratwurst though. Yummmm! Most of the meat I eat comes from my parents' farm, so I know exactly where it came from and how it was raised, and it's damn good meat. I will not buy hamburger at the grocery store....it tastes like rubber.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Until recently I ate only chicken and turkey on occasion, but no meat, fish, seafood, or pork. Now I'm lacto-ovo-vegetarian.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im a carnivore although theres certain meats I avoid like pork or bacon, I will also happilly eat vegetarian dishes
    Love seafood, venison, game etc
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I eat it all. :) Though I don't eat red meat a lot, I love chicken and seafood. Wouldn't be able to give it up. I do wish organic meats/fish weren't so expensive.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Vegan (as a lifestyle including cosmetics, clothing etc.). Recently I've had to go gluten-free, which is a little restrictive, but not too difficult. I've performed better in my medicals since I went plant-based, but I honestly think that any diet can be healthy as long as you eat whole foods and avoid processed stuff.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Vegan for almost a year. Mostly raw and 70% fruit as of a month ago. I have more energy than ever and feel amazing!

I went vegan because I could never shoot or slaughter another sentient being, so why would I hire someone else to do it for me (i.e. what you do when you buy it at the grocery store). Plus eating something made out of blood, veins, flesh and tendons, or animal secretions completely disgusts me now. As far as being healthy, there is much debate, but it is proven that cholesterol clogs arteries, which causes heart disease. Cholesterol doesn't exist in plant foods. You can get all the nutrients you need from plants, besides B12 (but most meat-eaters are deficient and need to supplement B12 as well).

<<As you can see, I'm far from deprived. My breakfast this morning was frozen banana 'ice cream' with raspberry sauce. Yummo! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat just about anything.