Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater and what most would call a very high protein diet. I also realize that the best way to get my needed nutrients is from food, and that I have to chose my carbs carefully and eat nutrirent and fiber dense carbohydrates.
  • eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Omnivore. It's how we've evolved and survived, and I take advantage of the thousands of years of evolutionary process that allow me to enjoy everything.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian, but not for any health/diet reasons.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I eat meat. I find a lot of people seem to think I'm vegetarian though, because they see me eating a salad for lunch, with quinoa and lentils and nuts. It's funny how some people assume that if you're eating a meat-less meal then you must be vegetarian.

Just quoted because it needs to be repeated.

OP - I find your post a little odd. Do you think that all vegetarians and vegans didn't like the taste of meat? 'Cause contrary to popular belief, most veg*ns did like the taste.
  • VariousPoses
    Options
    Strickly Vegan. I started for health reasons, but then I saw Earthlings. I must admit seeing the images of where my 'food' used to come from freaked me out. Feces, pus, hormones, diseases..... I just couldn't put that in my body anymore!
    And I realised I consider animals as my equal.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    meh, i eat what i want when it looks good. was a vegetarian (along with my entire family) through high school. oh, and i got fat after i stopped being a strict one haha. i just dont find meat appetizing. probably because i think about all the added hormones, and old befriended cows i hung out with in the barn as a kid. i LOVE boca burgers though (meatless). and i also love bacon <3. now that i live on my own i buy meat sometimes, but still not often at all. infact i only spend 150 dollars a month for two people. we mostly eat rice, beans, milk, cheese, oats, etc. maybe some chicken once a month or a steak ever three months. hamburger helper when things are really tight. but thats pretty much the extent that i use it.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan, plant based, first for kidney stone prevention, second for great health in general, and third for inhumanely treated animals. But I am not a Vegan, which are those who abhor leather, honey, silk, etc....
  • Blunderguff
    Options
    If it had a face, give me a taste.

Nom nom... Eating fish atm and looking forward burgers later
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I am about 40% vegetarian. I only eat meat 3 days a week and only red meat once. on sundays
  • nphillips0124
    Options
    meat eater transitioning into a veg lifestyle! no judgements either way, just something for me to work towards
  • shehag
    shehag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for almost 10 years and off and on througout my life. At this point can't imagine ever eating anything w/a face. Wish I could go vegan but I travel a lot, rely on restaurant food and it's almost impossible-more options becoming available though as more health professionals advocate vegan diets to fight heart disease.:heart:
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Tried being a vegetarian for a few month and gave up, my energy levels were low and this might just be me but I was always hungry and ate more. 

Basically can't live without meat is we're I am at. :drinker:
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian.

Meat is NEVER healthy. Most meat eaters trick themselves into believing that's not true. But it's just a myth that meat farmers try to make you believe. So that you buy their meat. So that they still earn money.

And people who say "you can't live without meat where I am" ... yes ... you can. Your local stores don't have beans and veggies? Really? If they don't, you probably aren't getting a balanced diet anyway.

Also ... keep in mind ... that when you're eating meat, you are promoting DEATH. Tell me this ... why should an animal be killed and tortured just so you can have some tasty food? Why are you so much better than that animal? Why can't you get that delicious taste somewhere else? (Ex. veggie burgers, veggie chicken, veggie sausages, etc. ... trust me, they ARE available ... and DELICIOUS at that)

Yeah, I feel pretty strongly about being a vegetarian. Maybe it's just because I have empathy and actually feel sorry for things that die?
    I'm working on becoming a vegan. I don't eat eggs but I do eat some milk products on occasion. Very rarely though. Working to cut it out completely!
  • I'm a lax vegan (vegetarian once a week, meat once a month) It's a taste thing for me, so I naturally rarely eat meat.

Meat is good for you just like too many vegetables can be bad (potatoes are great! in moderation...). You have to just make sure whatever goes in your mouth is the proper portion and proper nutrients.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Vegetarian for ethical reasons. I am not judgemental about anyone else's diet though. I do miss certain flavours and type of meat but I wouldn't go back to eating it.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian.

Meat is NEVER healthy. Most meat eaters trick themselves into believing that's not true. But it's just a myth that meat farmers try to make you believe. So that you buy their meat. So that they still earn money.

And people who say "you can't live without meat where I am" ... yes ... you can. Your local stores don't have beans and veggies? Really? If they don't, you probably aren't getting a balanced diet anyway.

Also ... keep in mind ... that when you're eating meat, you are promoting DEATH. Tell me this ... why should an animal be killed and tortured just so you can have some tasty food? Why are you so much better than that animal? Why can't you get that delicious taste somewhere else? (Ex. veggie burgers, veggie chicken, veggie sausages, etc. ... trust me, they ARE available ... and DELICIOUS at that)

Yeah, I feel pretty strongly about being a vegetarian. Maybe it's just because I have empathy and actually feel sorry for things that die?
    I'm working on becoming a vegan. I don't eat eggs but I do eat some milk products on occasion. Very rarely though. Working to cut it out completely!

Personally, I remain somewhat miffed that mankind took themselves out of the food chain.
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Eggs, fish, cottage cheese, chicken, quinoa! Some of my favorite sources of protein! (because beans hurt my digestives! >.<)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly vegan, for ethical reasons.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I eat almost anything :)

Meat, veggies, grains...if its food I probably like it! I am working on spicy foods now, they I have an issue with,

As for meat...I prefer that if I am going to eat meat, that it was a) humanely killed, b) treated well during its life, and c) respected.

I am not going to tell anyone that their views on meat are wrong...its not my place to do so and I won't . It's everyone's right to believe what they will. As for me tho, I feel that man was meant to have a wide and varied diet. That includes meat, vegetables, grains, etc. I do not think we are meant to have meat as a primary source in our diets, but as a part. Off my soapbox now!

I want to raise my own meat birds, but my husband is not too thrilled with the idea. I was raised on a farm so I know the whole "don't name your dinner" mentality, while he is a city boy and made our chickens his pets. However when we eventually move, I will be raising our own meat birds, as well as rabbits for our own consumption. At least then I know they had a healthy and happy life, and that when I take that life from them, it will be as quick and painless as I can possible make it. And when I use that flesh they gave me, I will thank them again for it and remember where it came from.

Ideally tho, I would prefer that any meat I eat had a good life where it was not abused in anyway, not given needless meds, got to enjoy sunshine and the grass on their feet, not be crowded in a small pen and so on. Its all about respecting the animal. I was brought up to always thank the animal for the meat they gave us...and to remember that it was a walking breathing life at one time as we are.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years (well, mostly, I use chicken bouillon sometimes and have meat a couple of times a year). I just really don't like meat all that much. Cheese is a different story... but I'm trying to cut out cheese because the concepts of "moderation" and "cheese" just can't match up in my head. I don't think there's anything wrong health-wise with meat in moderation, but I think of moderation as two or three times a week.

I actually don't think there's anything wrong with killing an animal for meat, I just have big problems with how they're treated while they're living. And, yes, that would apply to meat, dairy and eggs.