No sweets til Christmas~

Options

Replies

• supermom1114
    Options
    To all my fellow bakers out there, I feel your pain. I just love baking and cooking. Its so much easier to cook healthy than it is to bake healthy =(

Tomorrow I have to bake a red velvet cake to bring to my nutrition class. And then in my nutrition class I have to bake a gluten-free red velvet cake which tastes and looks just like the original!! I will be SO tempted to eat a bit of both... I know how delicious they taste but there are SO many calories... and random fact but a lot of gluten free products can actually have more calories than wheat products, its true, other flours tend to carry more calories for the same amount as a wheat-based flour, just random info, sorry, lol I've been working on this project and researching celiac's disease and gluten intolerance for months lol

No sweets for me today! Yesterday I did have a piece of left over pumpkin pie I had baked... homemade crust and everything.. so good... I will miss baking, thats for sure...
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    To all my fellow bakers out there, I feel your pain. I just love baking and cooking. Its so much easier to cook healthy than it is to bake healthy =(

Tomorrow I have to bake a red velvet cake to bring to my nutrition class. And then in my nutrition class I have to bake a gluten-free red velvet cake which tastes and looks just like the original!! I will be SO tempted to eat a bit of both... I know how delicious they taste but there are SO many calories... and random fact but a lot of gluten free products can actually have more calories than wheat products, its true, other flours tend to carry more calories for the same amount as a wheat-based flour, just random info, sorry, lol I've been working on this project and researching celiac's disease and gluten intolerance for months lol

No sweets for me today! Yesterday I did have a piece of left over pumpkin pie I had baked... homemade crust and everything.. so good... I will miss baking, thats for sure...

Supermom, if your gluten-free red velvet cake recipe is good, please share! I'm dying for a good GF cake recipe. I think it's so fascinating that you've been researching Celiac's since it's been taking over my life lately!
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Heres the recipe!! And the link at the bottom is the nutritional info.. its scary... Cake flour only has 90 cals per 1/4 cup but sorghum has 140 and brown rice has 120 or I could have those two switched but either way, they both have considerable amounts more than cake flour. However, most all-purpose gluten free flours will leave a funky aftertaste in your mouth (trust me we tried a few lol) but this combo tasted almost exactly like the original cake. We did a taste test and some people actually liked the gluten free cake better than the original, so its definitely something you could make and share with friends so you don't devour the whole thing yourself lol

Cake:
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    2 ounces red food coloring
    1 cup brown rice flour
    ¾ cup sorghum flour
    ¾ cup tapioca flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon double strength vanilla extract
    2 teaspoon double acting baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    Icing:
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
    1 stick butter, softened
    1 cup melted marshmallows
    1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup chopped pecans

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture. Pour batter into 3 (8-inch) round greased and floured pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting.

Icing:
    Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add marshmallows and sugar and blend. Fold in coconut and nuts. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.

Link: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/recipe/1198250/2
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Well I did my weekly weigh-in this morning and lost 1.2lbs! I know its not a lot but being Thanksgiving and the fact that I'm so short, I'm very pleased!

Have a great, sweets-free day everyone!
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,760 Member
    Options
    Well I did my weekly weigh-in this morning and lost 1.2lbs! I know its not a lot but being Thanksgiving and the fact that I'm so short, I'm very pleased!

Hey, any loss is great! Good job.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Yep-- I lost my .5 pound Thanksgiving gain, plus another .5-- I'll take it--
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options

Welcome, supermom!:flowerforyou:

Like Marla, I'd like to thank you for your service to our country and the sacrifices your family has had to make to do so. we do appreciate you and your husband.

And - congrats on your previous weight losses, and - Heck Yeah! - 1.2 pounds less!!

Made it thru yesterday:

Cheryl -2 / Sweets - 0
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Heres the recipe!! And the link at the bottom is the nutritional info.. its scary... Cake flour only has 90 cals per 1/4 cup but sorghum has 140 and brown rice has 120 or I could have those two switched but either way, they both have considerable amounts more than cake flour. However, most all-purpose gluten free flours will leave a funky aftertaste in your mouth (trust me we tried a few lol) but this combo tasted almost exactly like the original cake. We did a taste test and some people actually liked the gluten free cake better than the original, so its definitely something you could make and share with friends so you don't devour the whole thing yourself lol

Cake:
    2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup brown rice flour
    ¾ cup sorghum flour
    ¾ cup tapioca flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    Icing:
    1 stick butter, softened
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup chopped pecans

Directions
    In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture. Pour batter into 3 (8-inch) round greased and floured pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting.

Icing:
    Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add marshmallows and sugar and blend. Fold in coconut and nuts. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.

Thanks supermom, between my thyroid issue that I didn't even know about until a few months ago, and now being gluten-free I'm up against even MORE of a challenge losing weight because like you said, most GF stuff is loaded with calories :ohwell: If you come across anything (recipes, general info., etc.) that you think I might like, send it my way! :flowerforyou:
  • Tasha73
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I just joined MFP today and came across your board. I need the motivation to cut out sweets because I have a weakness for sweets. Eliminating them is a great way to jump start my weight lose so I'm glad I found you all to take this challenge with. My other weakness is wine...dry red. I'm not ready to cut that out just yet. I didn't have to cook Thanksgiving dinner this year so I don't have any pies left but I do have 2 cupcakes from my daughter's birthday which was last Monday left and some Starbuck's Caramel Mocchiato ice cream in the freezer...I guess I'll have to throw that out. I also have a box of Weight Watchers strawberry shortcakes...I'll hide them in the back of the freezer for another day.

Good Luck everyone!!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Tasha-- welcome!

Come tell us daily how you're doing-- accountability is key-- keeping this issue in the front of your mind to help you battle (and win) the temptation to pop the junk into your face--
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    So far so good for me. The cupcakes are sitting on the counter and I have to walk by them to make dinner and I just look and maybe drool but remember that I'm doing this no sweets thing and I keep moving.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I bought a hot white chocolate yesterday, but after 2-3 sips I decided I didn't like it. Then I had an apple juice when we went out with friends. Dunno how bad that would be. :shrugs:

I also got a fruitcake. It's on my OK list, but not sure it would also be on this topic's "OK" list. :shrugs again:

:ohwell:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why I am even considering this, maybe because deep down I know, I need this challenge. I know there will be days I mess up but I have to try anyway. I am back down to 1 regular coke a day and while I know that is not good I am doing better than I was last time. Last time when I quit I quit hard and I know denying myself of pop is not good for me because I have did it three times now and everytime go back to drinking more than when I started. I am hoping to wean myself down to one every other day although I do keep it in my daily calorie limit.

So no sweets until Christmas, okay so far this is day 1. I will let you know how the rest of the afternoon and evening goes.

Marla, I am like you - pecan pie is my weakness!! YUMMMY!!!!!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Not 20 minutes into this challenge and my daughter walks by eating a rice krispy treat and says "want a bite mom" and I was like sure, uh, I mean no thank you. 20 minutes I have survived! :laugh:
  • Marla64
    Options
    Not 20 minutes into this challenge and my daughter walks by eating a rice krispy treat and says "want a bite mom" and I was like sure, uh, I mean no thank you. 20 minutes I have survived! :laugh:

That's what it's all about, Amanda-- one bite at a time. Way to go.
  • supermom1114
    Options

Cake:
    2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup brown rice flour
    ¾ cup sorghum flour
    ¾ cup tapioca flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    Icing:
    1 stick butter, softened
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Icing:

Thanks supermom, between my thyroid issue that I didn't even know about until a few months ago, and now being gluten-free I'm up against even MORE of a challenge losing weight because like you said, most GF stuff is loaded with calories :ohwell: If you come across anything (recipes, general info., etc.) that you think I might like, send it my way! :flowerforyou:

What kind of Thyroid Issue do you have? I have hoshimoto's Thyroiditis and I can TOTALLY tell a difference on days I don't take my thyroid. And yes, it SUCKS to try and lose weight with a Thyroid issue. I had to have mine rechecked a while back and found out they had to bump me up to 150mcg from 100 and I dropped 8lbs in a month n half or so afterwards doing exactly the same stuff I was doing before. If you don't already have the book Master your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels I highly recommend it!! She actually has thyroid issues herself and covers foods to eat to help boost thyroid function as well as foods to avoid and theres a lot of other great info in there too!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I need to do this so badly! I've been living on sweets lately...I'm going to give it a go. Pretty much guaranteed I will have sweets on Christmas day, but I think (maybe) I can give them up until then. Eek. lol. I'm so weak. How many days until Christmas? :tongue:
  • supermom1114
    Options
    So I had a small and when I say small I really mean small taste of the icing I made to make sure it was right... and I had to level one of the cakes and I tasted the crumbs to make sure the cake was right... I tried talking myself out of it but its for a grade and I wanted to make sure they had the flavors I intended... ugh... Other than that I've been good all day. I did have a piece of dark chocolate but I really don't count that as sweets... its 86% cacao, pretty bitter yet surprisngly good stuff, it had just enough sweet to appease me...

what are ya'lls thoughts on dark chocolate??
  • Marla64
    Options
    I need to do this so badly! I've been living on sweets lately...I'm going to give it a go. Pretty much guaranteed I will have sweets on Christmas day, but I think (maybe) I can give them up until then. Eek. lol. I'm so weak. How many days until Christmas? :tongue:

Welcome, Brenda-- jump on in--

Keep in touch with us here and let us know how you're doing-- accountability is key--
  • Marla64
    Options
    So I had a small and when I say small I really mean small taste of the icing I made to make sure it was right... and I had to level one of the cakes and I tasted the crumbs to make sure the cake was right... I tried talking myself out of it but its for a grade and I wanted to make sure they had the flavors I intended... ugh... Other than that I've been good all day. I did have a piece of dark chocolate but I really don't count that as sweets... its 86% cacao, pretty bitter yet surprisngly good stuff, it had just enough sweet to appease me...

what are ya'lls thoughts on dark chocolate??

Hmmmm-- personally, I'd GONG the chocolate-- dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate-- chocolate is chocolate-- for me it's a no-no--