Senior Golden Sneakers Club~~~Welcome~~~~~Dec.

Options

Replies

• isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am here and I intend to stay!
    stay away from the cookies, stay away from the cookies...........got it!
  • isandi
    Options
  • isandi
    Options
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    This is an abridged version of a post I just did on the success thread area:

As of today, I have lost 50 lbs., thanks to the tools and people on MFP, especially this and the 50 + thread.

I have battled up and down with my weight all my adult life, and I am living proof that moderation and eating what you want,--just less of it--really works, along with a consistent cardio program (for me it was walking). I will be starting strength training in the new year. It is almost 8 months since I started. I don't feel deprived. I only have one binge trigger food left, and it isn't something that I keep around, so that solves that problem.

This week, I fit into a pair of winter wool slacks that haven't fit me in about 20 years. I am on the borderline to being in a size 14 misses, having started at 24W. Yesterday my doctor reduced my blood pressure medication by 75%!! I hope to be off it completely in another 30 lbs.

I hope my experience will help someone who might be having a down day, or is just starting and feels like the mountain is too high to climb. Remember, if you try, you could succeed, and think of where you could be in 6 months to a year. . If you don't try, you will be in the same place you are now, or maybe worse, depending upon any health issues that could pop up.

Good luck to all who are on this fitness quest with me.

Barb
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    BARB! Thank you for sharing that and BIG congratulations to you! 50 pounds!!!!!! That is spectacular! I'm smiling and happy for you! You inspired me to do better today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elli
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

CONGRATS BARBS ON THIS MILESTONES. GREAT JOB WELL DONE,
    i HOPE TO BE DOWN BY 50 LBS THIS TIME NEXT CHRISTMAS,
    YOU HAVE IMSPIRE ME TO CARRY ON. yOU AND ALL THE REST OF YOU. ~~~~~~~~~ Marie
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. We are still in the deep freeze. Usually Dave drives Neil in to his work and I pick him up (Dave is a morning person and I am not) but today Dave had some shopping to do so he picked Neil up as well. I was so glad not to have to hit the highway today. Tomorrow is supposed to be colder but I can always hope for a little change.

Marie -- How nice to see your name on Facebook. Does anyone here play scrabble on Facebook? I am always happy to play a game and take my 2 or 3 turns a day.

Sandy -- Glad Babe is not too seriously injured although a fracture is always painful.

Sandi -- Glad to have you here. I remember that you missed your son's wedding and thought that was so sad. I underdstand you falling off the wagon after that, kind of pushed!! :wink: Glad you have found your way back.

Barb -- Yahoo!! you have made a great milestone. Way to go!

Birdie -- Thinking about you today.

Elli -- Did you get more snow? We had enough that Dave had to go out and sweep the driveway and sidewalk but so far not enough to shovel.

Time to put my lentil soup on to heat. I made it a few days ago and put the leftovers in the freezer. How nice not to have to cook and have a very healthy meal ready to go!

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :smile: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    I know I have lots of post to catch up with, but this morning while I was at Mass my husband went outside in his slippers, in the snow to get Daisy her ball. He slipped and fell on his shoulder. When I got home he was sitting on the couch with his coat on because he was in so much pain. We went to the ER and after four hours they said he had a fractured shoulder and put him in a sling. Tomorrow we go see the orthopedic with his xrays. The hospital didn't seem to think he will need surgery, but he will wear the sling 6-8 weeks. I will let you know what the doctor says tomorrow. For tonight I am going to watch a movie on the couch and just relax.

Sandy
  • elli
    Options
    oh Sandy - BUMMER! Poor hubby! I hope he won't need surgery. Keep us posted. I'm glad it wasn't worse!

Gayla - it's been snowing on and off all day - i've shoved 3 times already - trying to stay on top of it! Not working so well! lol. Now it started blowing and we're supposed to go down to the minus 20s tonight. I brought bonnie and billy in the house. They're pretty happy pups right now!

Stay warm everyone!
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your kind words on my "milestone.":flowerforyou:

While I was out today, I did two things to guarantee we won't have any snow and that the rest of the winter will be mild. :noway: 1) I purchased a snow shovel; 2) I purchased a new (smaller) set of thermal underwear!:laugh: :laugh:

Apparently, I have managed to remove all edible temptations from Bradley's reach, so TODAY when I came home, I discovered he can tip over my lidded kitchen garbage can:grumble: :mad: He is too snoopy for his own good. He is also smart, so I am hoping the stern talking to he got, while standing in front of the garbage can and the mess w/me pointing will have some effect. I have never believed in confining my dogs beyond having them indoors when I am gone, because I have never needed to, but I am beginning to consider some "options" for Bradley. So far he hasn't hurt himself with anything he has gotten into, but I need to protect him from himself.

:flowerforyou: Elli,

Your story about bottle feeding the lambs and our joking around about other critters in the house reminded me of a story my mom tells about how one of her aunts, who lived on a farm, came in the house one day and could hear the bedsprings squeaking. She hollered at her children to quit jumping on the bed, but the noise continued. When they didn't respond to her calls, she went in the bedroom to find TWO young goats jumping up and down on the bed!!!!::noway: laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

From then on, they made sure the screen door was LATCHED when they went out.!!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    When I was little My daddy got us a pet pig. and he stay in the house. Can't remember his name but he was cute. My poor mommie had to take care of him. I don't know what happen to him. That was during the depression we might of had him for dinner. But I really don't think so. We live in a tenant house on my Grandfather farm. at that time. After the depression my father got a grocery store with 500.00 Dollars he borrow from my Uncle, after that Our life improve a whole lot. Now days a family of 5 spends almost that everyweek and He stock a whole stoe with 500.00 My how things have change.
    Marie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: OK, I have an animal in the house story.......my mom and dad had two "cat doors" in their house so their five cats could go in and out when they wanted to. One day my mom saw a black and white cat chowing down on the cat food and thought the cat didn't look familiar......when she got closer she discovered that the cat was actually a skunk who had wandered in through the cat door........some years later after my dad died and my mom was ill, I had a nurse friend spending the evening at my mom's house so I could go to a meeting with some friends......in the middle of the meeting my friend called to say that there was a raccoon in the house......she had left the sliding door open to get some fresh air and the raccoon wandered in from the deck.---she laid a trail of cat food heading to the door and the raccoon ate his way out the door........some years later right after my mother died another skunk came into the house through the cat door, killed the smallest cat and sprayed the house.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's fall........it looks like you will be on TLC duty for awhile whether or not he needs surgery.......I hope his recovery goes well for him.

:flowerforyou: Barb, congratulations on reaching the 50 pound milestone.......by this time next year you'll be looking for all the skinny clothes. If Bradley were a puppy, I'd suggest a dog crate, but by the age he is now, it probably would offend his dignity. I remember some months ago when my poodles were giving me a lot of trouble not coming when it was time to go from the dog park I wrote a lot about them and Elli called them "the naughties".....maybe that name should go to your little darlings especially Bradley:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Gayla, you're right about how cold I am. I have always been colder than most people......in my line dance class, just about the time I felt comfortable, I'd see other women fanning themselves or wiping their brows or someone would open the door complaining about how hot it was........now I'm even colder.....I wear a camisole, turtleneck, and a sweater when I dance and often I wear my fingerless gloves during the first part of the class.....I can hardly wait for my silk underwear to get here.

:flowerforyou: Elli, that is great news about your DIL being pregnant......I'll add my positive thoughts to everyone else's that all will go well for her

We went out to lunch today with business associates....one is training for a marathon (she's in her 50's). I had my favorite broccoli in garlic sauce
    low on protein and high on taste:bigsmile: This was the second lunch out in a week......I'm getting better at dealing with restaurants.

Our "balmy" weather continues tonight.......it's -4 C on one thermometer and +25 F on the other thermometer......I have my footless tights laid out to wear under my jeans when I walk the dogs before daylight tomorrow morning.
    hugs to all:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Barbiecat, your animal tale take the prize. Don't believe anyone can top that one.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Barb.... CONGRATULATIONS on your 50 pounds lost. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    What a wonderful story, you should be so proud of yourself and with your attitude you could give motivation speeches. :heart: :heart:

The only animal in the house story I have is when we had two other Old English Sheepdogs who were brothers. We did start out crating them but then as they got too big we would let them have roam of the house like Barb does. I wasn't married at the time and my husband's house was outdated and decorated in the 70's. They evidently didn't like the decor so they managed to eat the cabinets and things inside, they actually tore down the drapes, rod and all and lifted the wall to wall carpet up and chewed on that. We looked like we were hit with a bomb. The good news is that I got to redecorate the house and it looks great. Can't top the skunk story, which I think is just too funny. :laugh: (except for killing the cat, that is just too sad)

My husband; before I met him; when his kids were little brought home a baby billy goat from a petting zoo at the shopping center. He was drinking and offered the guy enough money so that he sold him the goat. They kept it in their basement when it was cold but had a pen for him outside. They got rid of him when he grew and became mean and started biting.

We had some wet snow yesterday and expecting a lot more today. I am taking my husband to the orthopedic this morning to see what his recommendations will be. Will keep you posted.

Sandy
  • elli
    Options
    omg - I'm lovin the animal stories!

Barb - maybe a baby gate? When i bring my outdoor dogs in for the night (which happens very seldom - but it DID happen last night - -23 this morning!) i use a baby gate to keep them in the mudroom. They're ohsohappy!!!!!!!! That Bradley is a little TOO smart for his own good! I absolutely LOVE the goats jumping on the bed - i can picture it too - i used to have an old mattress in the goat pen for the little kids to play on!!!!!!!

Marie - thank you for sharing the depression era story with us - it's amazing isn't it? how things change? You're right - now you feed a family for a month if you're LUCKY on what it took to fill a grocery store!

OMG Sandy - i think we have to take away the name "naughties" from Barbies poodles and give it to those sheepdogs! Although, i'm assuming they're long gone..........i guess the good thing was you hated the decor anyway! But that's some DAMAGE!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot - we once raised baby ducks in the cellar - yuck! that was kinda gross! I was so happy when it warmed up enough that we could put them outside! There were 25 of them and they followed each other all around the property quacking away. i called them "the marching band"

Barbie - the SKUNKS! That's kinda scary! My younger son had one spray underNEATH his house and it took like a year for the smell to completely go away!!!!!! I have a little dog door for Hercky - probably about the size of a cat door - it goes into the yard, which is fenced, but i know something could get in. I don't worry about it now because Bonnie and Billy are out there - but when they're gone i'll have to think about that. Two different summers we had baby skunks (so tiny and adorable) getting into the yard - i can't imagine WHY - and the dogs would kill them.......it made me so sad! I asked the vet if he would de-skunk them if i live trapped them and he wouldn't.:frown:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and prayers for my dil and grandbaby - my whole family wants this baby SOOOOOO much! If my son gets the position he's trying for in the Army (cid - Criminal Investigations Division) i guess they're going to request a 2 year assignment to Germany - sure hope they don't have to leave before the baby comes in Aug!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone stay warm!!!!!! It's -21 right now - supposed to warm up to 18 today and be in the 30's by Friday! woo hooooooooooo
    Tonight i have my friends girls overnight - 5 years and 16 months - should be interesting!!!!!!!!!

elli
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Greetings everyone,
    I'm at work so I just have time for a quick update....I'll read the posts later. I dropped another 2 lbs and I'm so excited! :bigsmile: Went out to buy clothes last night and it was not the nightmare it usually is!!! :happy: Now that I can get into some clothes that aren't big and loose.....I find that.....that's the style!!! :noway: :noway: With leggings in style, I guess that's what they need to wear with them! I did buy a couple of things but not very much as I'm not finished with this journey yet!:wink:
    Have a great day and I'll catch up with everyone later!!:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Elli,

I wish the baby gate were an option, but my condo has an open floor plan, so the bedrooms and bathrooms have doors, but the kitchen is at one end of a large room, with the dining area in the middle and the living room area and slider at the other end. I don't want to lock anybody in a bedroom because then the doggie door wouldn't be available in the living room.

I am not sure how wide the adjustable baby gates can be spread. The opening between the kitchen island and the wall is at least 4 ft. I would have to move a piece of furniture, but if the gate were wide enough, I could keep him out of the kitchen. I then can't help but wonder if he would start chewing on pillows or furniture???:noway:

I think this might be a separation anxiety thing because he doesn't do any of these things except when I am gone. I am going to talk to my vet. We have a followup appt in another week or so.

:flowerforyou: Barbie,

I agree w/Marie that your skunk story takes the prize. I didn't realize skunks were predatory enough to harm a cat. How unfortunate.

But a billygoat in the basement, :flowerforyou: Sandy, that certainly isn't something you hear about every day!!

My cousin who lives in West Vancouver (BC) is right on the edge of a wooded area, and she has squirrels that come up on her deck to get fed. About 3 years ago, when Dreyfus, (the grey Shih tzu in my ticker) was still alive and in good health, I was visiting her and about the time we got ready to leave, the squirrels showed up, and Dreyfie got VERY excited about the fact that they were just outside the window. They just ignored him and ate their dinner.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, it was 12 degrees :noway: when I got up this morning. I am looking forward to a balmy 40 degree day. I would even take some rain with it, if it meant getting out of this cold. :grumble: The good news is we didn't end up with snow. Thank goodness for small favors!!

It is time to think about breakfast, I guess, so good bye for now.

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: another animal in the house story----when I was about 10, I got a baby chick at some Easter event and brought him home to keep as a pet
    I named him "Chicken" and he lived in a box in my bedroom........he was a great pet until he became a rooster and began to crow at dawn.......my dad found a farmer who gave him a good home.

:flowerforyou: My mother's cat who was killed was a purebred Burmese with a superior attitude. Her name was Missy (registered name, Miss Tzadi of La-eed). I'm sure she started the fight with the skunk who was better equipped to win the battle.....the skunk spray wasn't too bad and we were able to air the house sufficiently since my mom's funeral was the next day and people were coming back to the house after the services.

:flowerforyou: I thought Bradley should get the "naughty" name, but Sandy's house destroying Sheepdogs seem to top all the dogs for naughty behavior.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, since I started losing weight I've been watching other women trying to decide what styles I like....by the time I started buying new clothes in a size that I plan to keep, I had some idea what I was looking for.......After years of wearing clothes made by "Omar, the Tentmaker" :laugh: I was overwhelmed by the choices.
    Time to go to the dog park. hugs :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :smile: Okay….I don’t have an “animal in the house” story, and NO ONE can top Barbie, but we always use to joke about how we came from such a large family, that when someone wanted a pet, my mother would say, “Go play with Simone” my youngest sister! :laugh: :laugh: Can you imagine taking care of 13 kids and pets!!!!:noway:

:flowerforyou: Barb: Congratulations on your 50 lbs! That’s awesome!:flowerforyou: No food feels as good as losing that kind of weight!

:happy: Sandi: Welcome! I joined after you left so it will be nice to get acquainted!:wink:

:flowerforyou: Gayla: Thanks for your thoughts! Here in RI we got our first real snow! It was mixed with rain so it was so very heavy and wet! But I’m hoping for a mild winter as we live in the “Ocean State” and the ocean keeps us a little warmer than inland.:flowerforyou:

:noway: Sandy: Your poor hubby!! :noway: BIG OUCH!!! Hope he’s not in as much pain today! :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Eli: I forgot where you live?:huh: When they changed the Web Site they deleted everyone’s location.:angry: Sounds like you’re really getting your share, and everyone else’s, of snow! I never heard of de-skunking! :embarassed: Can you do that?!:embarassed:

:flowerforyou: Marie: It’s hard to believe that your father could buy a grocery store for $500!!! Most of us spend that on groceries for just a month!!

:noway: Barbie: That’s some skunk story!!! I hope they fixed that cat door!!

As far as the cold….I also am starting to feel the cold and dampness more than usual. The women at work tell me it’s because I’m losing weight and I’m beginning to believe them!! I hope it’s a mild winter!!!

COULD EVERYONE, WHO WANTS TOO, GO BACK TO YOUR PROFILE AND EDIT IT TO SHOW WHERE YOU ARE FROM. WHEN THEY CHANGED THE WEBSITE THE LOCATIONS DISAPPEARED.
    It won’t show up if you don’t put a town/city in, so for a lot of us that just want the state to appear we put a * in the section that asks for the city. Then it will show up!!! I can’t even remember what day it is….never mind remember where everyone is from.:noway: :laugh:

Have a great day everyone!:smooched:
    BirdieM:heart:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    The following was found posted very low on a refrigerator door.

Dear Dogs and Cats: The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Racing me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort, however. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep.. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other, stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out on the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is no secret exit from the bathroom! If, by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge in an attempt to open the door. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years - canine/feline attendance is not required.

The proper order for kissing is: Kiss me first, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough.

Finally, in fairness, dear pets, I have posted the following message on the front door:

TO ALL NON-PET OWNERS WHO VISIT AND LIKE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT OUR PETS :

(1) They live here. You don't. (2) If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it 'fur'-niture. (3) I like my pets a lot better than I like most people.. (4) To you, they are animals. To me, they are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.

Remember, dogs and cats are better than kids because they (1) eat less, (2) don't ask for money all the time, (3) are easier to train, (4) normally come when called, (5) never ask to drive the car, (6) don't hang out with drug-using people; (7) don't smoke or drink, (8) don't want to wear your clothes, (9) don't have to buy the latest fashions, (10) don't need a gazillion dollars for college and (11) if they get pregnant, you can sell their children

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: