WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hope Everyone is having a good "Boxing Day":flowerforyou:

I spent the whole day with my parents yesterday, except for a walk in the sunshine in early afternoon over to my friends' who live nearby. They hadn't met Bradley yet, and had a Christmas present for me. This is a big improvement over last Christmas, when we had almost a foot of snow on the ground, and it had hung around for almost a week.

At the time I was walking in the sunshine, I had no way of knowing that Al, the person I mentioned in previous posts who was in the hospice, had just passed away. My friend Carol (his wife) called me today to tell me. She is doing pretty well, and has her three kids in the area for support. I will miss his sense of humour, and storytelling abilities, but I am glad his suffering is over.

Since I planned and made the Christmas dinner, we ate pretty healthy, EXCEPT that ham has too dingly dang much sodium!! I was way over for it yesterday. In a moment of lunacy, I weighed this morning and it cost me a couple of pounds, but back to the wagon and the water today. I decided not to weigh again til New Years Eve morning and see what I can do in a week.

I obviously need to update my ticker, since I didn't make my Christmas goal:grumble:

Hope the weekend goes well for all.

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I am so excited. I got a pair of Skechers Shape-Ups......I've read the directions and tried walking around in the house and I am so happy to have them. I am going to wear them to our friends' house tonight when we go for dinner. They have a big house with hardwood floors and some room to walk around.

:flowerforyou: Barb, I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Al. What a blessing that you and the doggies were able to spend some time with him before he left.

I, too, am noticing the sodium......even though I kept calories in check, there is no way to hold down the sodium when you eat what someone else has prepared.....at least I've learned that sodium is the offender so I don't get too crazed at what the scale is telling me.

:flowerforyou: Becky, I'm sorry to hear about your husband losing his job. Enjoy having him around and available for awhile and just about the time you get used to it, he'll be back to work again. Just think positive thoughts about the great opportunity that will be waiting for him.

:flowerforyou: pmjsmom, kathy, it sounds like you got just what you wanted for Christmas.....I hope it adds a lot to your fitness and good health

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, it's not back to business for me today because we've been invited to a big turkey dinner by our friends who are fabulous cooks
    they are roasting a turkey with a lot of the trimmings and the guests are bringing vegetable side dishes......my husband is making his fabulous roasted vegetables.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Birdie, you are so right to not feel guilty about your eating yesterday.......guilt won't make anything better and might even poison your good attitude and make it harder to return to your usual focus. I know you can do it.:bigsmile:

I look forward to hearing from all our friends on this thread who have been busy with the holidays or out of town......we are all in this together and it's not the same when some are missing.
    :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    hello everyone,
    I hope your holidays were nice. I have had many tests this week and am surviving. But I see now that I wouldn't have had them in the first place if I wasn't blessed to have a place to live, or a car to break down, or a stove to stop working or. . .

You get my point. I to where I just gotta laugh. Especially after I stay up most the night and made homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch. Got them on trays and ready to put in the overn and it didn't work. So then i ran around town delivering raw rolls with a side of frosting to friends and family.

Anyhow, I had a wonderful day at my sons where HE cooked a great meal. And I just enjoyed myself.
    I think I'm up 5 to 10 pds from all the salthy yummy food. But as of today, it's coming off and I'm continuing on with my goal of a normal, healthy, and maybe even sexy grandma body. Ha.
    Well, bless all of you. kc
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    BirdieM- The fact that you did better this year than last year is wonderful. Next year you will do even better than this year. I bet the carrot cake and coffee cake were fantastic. It’s great that your family commented on your weight loss. That must have made your feel good inside.

Laniv- Welcome back to the group. I hope you stay on track and keep posting with us.

Barb- sorry about the loss of your friend Al.

Kc-Glad to hear you had a wonderful day at your son's.

I got some new clothes in my new smaller size and I got a new cook book that has all the calorie and nutritional information for each reciepe. We are having a nice quite visit with my MIL.

Hope everyone is having a great Boxing Day,

Jeannie
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I've been off this site for a couple of months and it shows. Grrrrr. I need to recommit and get back with the program. I've been beating myself up for gaining weight and inches back, my clothes don't fit again and I'm just generally miserable about it. Figured I could use some accountability and support and this group seems pretty good at that. Thanks in advance for helping!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Welcome back firetruck. You know you can get help and support here. You have just helped me by posting. I have been not doing too well this holiday. I have not really gained a lot but need to get back on track now. Your post has helped me realize that I need to do it before it all creeps back on. Keep reading and posting and you can lose what you have gained. To everyone else who has done so well GREAT JOB. So proud of you.
    Vicki M
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One pound off, and one more to go for the two pounds I put on. Now that the holidays are over, I can get back into a reasonable routine. I'm off for the winter break, and I'm trying to organize my basement and home office. That way, my exercise area will be more attractive, and my school materials will be in one place.

KC, I like how you see the humor in your stressful moments.

Barbie - let me know how the shape-ups work out. I'm on my feet all day at school. Maybe I can take off a few pounds or inches while teaching!
  • firetuck
    Options
    Thanks Vicki M! Knowing I motivated you, motivates me.....off to the gym - I can do this.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Good Morning, I am so happy to be finished with holiday eating and back to normal. We had a fabulous time with our friends last night. The turkey, stuffing, and corn pudding were my big holiday splurge and my weight this morning reflects all the sodium. I ate salad and roasted vegetables but skipped the mashed potatoes and gravy. The girls made apples dipped in caramel, marshmallow, and chocolate and said that their feelings wouldn't be hurt if we didn't eat it. I sliced mine and just ate the apple......Hubby ate some of the coating. After dinner the dogs were allowed to come back into the regular part of the house so we could enjoy them while we talked. It was so much fun that we didn't get home until after 11 PM

:flowerforyou: kc, I love your grateful attitude....you inspire me with the way you walk through life's challenges with grace, faith, and humor........somebody said "If you're going to laugh about this later, why not start now" and you seem to embody that thought

:flowerforyou: firetuck, welcome back
    just posting today is the beginning of your commitment to a healthier life.......I hope we'll hear from you regularly.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I'm with you about getting back on track......staying even for awhile is fine, but now it's time to get back in business.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, how cool that you got new clothes in a smaller size......that will be such an inspiration to you to keep up all the great habits you've acquired

:flowerforyou: laniv, the literature with the Shape-Ups said to wear them for walking only 24-45 minutes the first two days and then increase the time by 5-10 minutes each day. Today I'm wearing them while doing chores around the house, not for any formal exercise. Since I want to keep them as clean as possible, I won't wear them when I walk at the dog park. I think I would have loved to have these shoes when I was teaching.

:sad: hubby is not feeling well today so he canceled his visit with his friend this morning and has gone back to bed.
    :heart: :heart: hugs :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, your holiday sounds great. Hope your husband gets to feeling better. I have had a terrible stomach ache the past two days due to eating poorly.

:flowerforyou: firetuck, glad to have you here.

I have put on almost five pounds over the holiday. I know that it is actually not on my hips yet. So, I am drinking lots of water and trying to do a slight cleanse.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, your holiday sounds great. Hope your husband gets to feeling better. I have had a terrible stomach ache the past two days due to eating poorly.

:flowerforyou: firetuck, glad to have you here.

I have put on almost five pounds over the holiday. I know that it is actually not on my hips yet. So, I am drinking lots of water and trying to do a slight cleanse.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    A Sunday night "Hello" to all!:flowerforyou:
    Welcome Firetuck! Every journey starts with the first step! :wink: Posting is your first step on this new and positive journey!
    Barbie hope your hubby is better! :frown: And Jeannie...nice wearing new clothes isn't it? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Congratulations!
    For all of us who "slipped" over the holiday:angry: ....IT'S OVER!!!! :happy: As someone said (about life and problems in general)....we can GO through them....or GROW through them! I choose to GROW through them (In spirit ...that is..even though size may be TEMPORARILY affected too!!):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    How we react to yesterday will determine our tomorrows....so lets look to the future with hope!
    Today is all we have! It was a good one for me :bigsmile: and I hope it was a good one for ALL of us! :heart:
    God Bless!!!!
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • firetuck
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I worked out hard at the Y today and ate healthy food choices. Feels great! :bigsmile:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I"m actually back to the point where the "treats" don't seem like much of a treat. Yeah! Plus I went bike riding yesterday and did AquaFit today. It's been a while since I could exercise two days in a row without bothering the calf.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The week is over and I am on track today. My husband and sons got me the new Jenny McCarthy You Shape workout for the Wii. It has a camera so you can actually see yourself as you are working out. You also get feedback if you are not doing the exercise correctly. So far, I am enjoying the workout. I burned 356 calories today! I hope this will keep me motivated. My weight was up on the Tuesday before Christmas...I hope it will be down this next Tuesday. Hope everyone is drinking their water!!!:drinker:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Firetuck – Welcome back. You sound determine to get back on track and I’m sure you can do it.

Laniv – gratz on the pound off. That’s great news this time of year.

Eava – That’s great you got a new workout video. It shows support of your family which is so important.

MacMadame- What is AquaFit? It sounds like fun.

Barbie & BirdieM – Yes, it’s nice to be wearing new clothes. It is motivational.

Still enjoying a nice quiet visit with my MIL. She is here until Tuesday.

Have a nice evening everyone,

JAM

PS: I've been having a nice large cup of tea everyday. Water just seems so cold.
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's eleven o'clock at night CA time. I had an awesome day at a new church. The music alone set my sole straight. I felt so close to God in my prayers. Then I spent an evening with a young woman who is homeless and battling alcohol and drug use. She has no parents, Dead and she has been on her own since 14 years of age.

Why do I care more than most? She has something special and I want so much for her. To any who want to please pray for Adora.

Please also pray for my relationship with Jose. I don't know what he's battleing but I wish he'd figure it out. It's been awful around this house for months.

Taking a tolll on my sanity and my food. But I am trying to be peaceful and not doing so well. I am tired of 'taking it' and giving it back. Not good. So pray for us too!:laugh:
    Firetuck - glad you're back. All of you regulars that I love to read. Bless you and have a good day tomorrow. kc
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone--

I took it easy on Saturday and was rewarded with 2 lbs. less on the scale, so "bye bye" sodium, I guess.

I didn't go to church til this evening and a friend who can't drive at night came with me, as she didn't get up very early today either:laugh: She had told me a couple of weeks ago that she wanted to take me to dinner during the holidays, so we did that after church.

We both love "the Old Spaghetti Factory" but I have avoided going there, assuming my only option would be soup and salad. Fortunately, I did some snooping on MFP and on google, and discovered quite a few entries in the MFP database, AND a very complete listing of nutritional info at osf.com, the restaurant website. I am glad I looked, because there ARE a lot of things very high in fat and sodium, BUT if you read carefully, you can have a pasta dinner that won't kill your efforts at healthy eating. I ordered my salad without croutons and with dressing on the side, and had whole wheat pasta with meat sauce and mushroom sauce. I even had a piece of sourdough french bread and the spumoni ice cream. It was yummy.

The most unexpected surprise in their nutritional info was that they way they normally do broccoli, with olive oil and mizithra cheese is a train wreck of 300 calories and 28 grams of fat!!! Our waiter said they will steam it and serve without the oil and cheese upon request. I didn't have any tonight, but there is always next time.....

I have apparently got the "Bradley proofing" of my house pretty well in hand. :drinker: :drinker: Now that I put the garbage can and any excess dog food behind closed doors, I have been coming home to no unpleasant surprises.

Hope everyone has a good week. Now that Christmas is over, I HAVE to get some things done before I have to go back to work on Jan 5th. I fear it will be here way too soon.:grumble: Meanwhile, the hour is late, and the doggies are asleep and it is time for me to do the same.:yawn: :yawn:

Barb
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I bit the bullet and weighed this morning. I really didn't want to since I knew it would read higher than last time. And my sodium level was way high for the past few days. Anyway up 2.5 lbs but at least I have acknowledged it and want to do something about it.

So my goals for this week:

Put all my calories in my food diary.
    Get on the elliptical daily (maybe 2X) Work up to 300 calories burned daily.
    Drink lots of water!

I'm glad to see new people here and am happy to meet you.

I've read all the posts but since I haven't posted for a couple of days I'll just say to all of you, " I'm glad for your good choices and if your choices weren't that great I'm glad you made a choice to be here".

The new year is almost here and I am excited to be with all of you on my weight loss journey!

Cindy

Oh my, I just went into the food diary to check out the sodium for fried chicken and honey baked ham, no wonder my weight is up! dummy dummy dummy!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all! I am back home after my Christmas trip. Had a great time, and decided not to worry about food, so it's back to logging today. However, my fun is not over. We have Christmas at New Year's with part of the family, so all 6 of my girls (3 daughters and 3 nieces who are almost daughters) will be here with their families from about Wednesday to Sunday. Lots of cooking to do. I have got 6 of them signed up on MFP this year, so it will be easier for me to offer some healthier choices. I am planning on printing a nutritional guide to go with the menus. :happy:

I think that I am going to buy the Wii this afternoon.

Firetuck and lanive, welcome/welcome back! Plenty of room for more on this thread!
    KC, your post with the rather "if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all" theme reminded me of the poem that I kept posted by the kitchen sink the entire time that my girls were growing up, so they had to look at it while they washed dishes:
    "Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell. While others may go hungry, we're doing very well. With home and health and happiness, I shouldn't want to fuss. By this stack of evidence, God's been very good to us!"
    All three of them can still recite it.

Happy Monday! And - here's to smart choices!