WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Prayers for forbearance, for you Cindy. Prayers for fruit cake abstinence needed for me, I just recieved my brothers homemade fruit cake. He uses Mom's recipe. I may dive into the box face first.:ohwell:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks Alice;

We have a place here called Southern Supreme. Located in Bear Creek NC. I usually get one of their fruit cakes but this year I abstained. Even people who usually turn up their noses at Fruit Cake like this one because it is mostly nuts, therefore the name "Nutty Fruit Cake".

But I'm with you, I'm one of the ones who likes fruitcake!

I did go out and do 30 minutes on the treadmill. That made me feel better!

Cindy
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many new faces. That is great. Welcome to the new women. I have a question. When I finish logging in my information I get a message saying what I will weigh in five weeks if I continue like this day. Well, most of my days are about the same but I am not losing like the message says I will. Has anyone else noticed this?
    The only exercise I have been getting this week is doing my daughter's paper route while she is in Kansas City.:smile:
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of myself I have to post. Tonight we were invited to a neighborhood dinner. Mashed potatoes with chicken and noodles poured on top. Homemade bread. Salad. Brownies with ice cream and chocolate drizzled on top (major weakness). Normally I would have used any excuse to just dig in and eat til I was way over full but tonight I was good. I drank a protein shake before we went. I had about 1/2 c of potatoes with about 1/2 c of chicken noodles, a salad, a small piece of bread with no butter and passed on the dessert completely. Unheard of. I'm beaming! I feel so in control and it's great. I hope all of you can have a day like this!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Debie (mom of 10) I'm so glad to see you posting again. You always said something cheerful and I loved your posts. I hope we'll be hearing from you again soon.

:flowerforyou: Becky, you've been on MFP for so long that you probably know all the things to examine on your eating and exercise if you're not losing the way the daily check in button predicts
    plateau, starvation mode, overestimating your exercise, underestimating food calories, not eating the right foods, etc. That estimate is only a mathematical prediction and probably has some shortcomings. Keep on keeping on and never, never,never give up

:flowerforyou: Cindy, last year hubby got homemade fruitcake from his brother and he cut it into slices and wrapped each slice individually and froze it. As far as I can see, he has completely forgotten it and it's still in the freezer. I wonder if it's any good now :laugh:

:flowerforyou: firetuck, that is amazing that you ate so smart at such a yummy meal. Now that you've done it once, you know that you can do it again. When I first started this journey I refused to eat anywhere except at home unless I brought my own food.

:flowerforyou: Brady, welcome back:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Barb, we have had neither rain nor snow here :bigsmile: the "naughties" and I spent about 50 minutes at the dog park under clear skies. Glad to hear that you exercised moderation with the champagne.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, congrats on losing 2 pounds especially during the food fest season. You are an inspiration to all of us.

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ
    it's great to hear that you detox eating plan has been a success.......once again, healthy eating triumphs.......how great that your hubby has shown some interest in a healthy way of life.....you are so right that they have to find it themselves, that they can't be pushed, encouraged, or led.

:flowerforyou: Terri, I'm glad your short bout with compulsive eating taught you a lesson that you can use to your advantage and share with others.

:flowerforyou: MacMadame, I hope the new year brings an end to the physical woes that have been plaguing you.......I know how much you miss being active.

:flowerforyou: Kathy, good luck on the 30 Day Shred. I've heard that it's very challenging.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: My big news is that we sold our motorhome........the deal closed today and we didn't go out to eat to celebrate......instead we decided to buy ourselves some more silk underwear as a celebratory treat. It was a little bit sad, but the truth is that we hadn't been in the motorhome since the end of June and our lives are really going in a different direction.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Let's all keep going with our good eating and exercising and not look back on the bumps in the road behind us unless they have a good lesson to teach. Now it's time for me to bounce around some more in my Shape-Ups shoes :smile: :smile:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs, Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Well the big snow is mostly melted, but now the finger pointing is starting, as everyone wants to blame someone for the fact that they were stuck on the freeway and surface streets for hours.

The doggies pranced around in the backyard and had a little fun, but mostly they stayed inside.

Apparently my Champagne treatment worked well as I lost the last of the sodium-induced water weight gain. If I can stay out of trouble on New Year's Eve, :drinker: :drinker: maybe I can post a loss beyond my current ticker reading on the first day of 2010.

Barbie- Congrats on the sale of your motor home. I am glad you were able to come out ahead of your loan, and that it didn't take you long to make contact with a buyer once you decided to put it on the market.

I took the doggies to the park on Monday afternoon, and someone there had a standard poodle that reminded me of your "girls." He or she was quite a handful, so I can only imagine how much "fun" it is to walk two of them. :noway: Yours are probably better behaved!!!:laugh:

Well, they are now saying we have a bunch more moisture coming toward us that will fall as rain in my area, but by tomorrow afternoon, the Gorge is going to be a skating rink again, so I guess I will be staying home on New Year's Eve, rather than driving back up to see my friends in the hills.

Everyone have a good evening and stay dry and warm, and drink, drink, drink........:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: WATER, of course!!!:wink:

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    With the month coming to an end, I thought I'd give everyone an early reminder that we have been setting monthly goals on this thread. Usually everyone tries to report on the success (or not) that they've had reaching the goals for the current month along with setting some goals for the new month.

goals are very personal things and the great women on this thread have set some amazing ones way beyond the obvious ones of how many pounds to lose.......if you're not sure about what goals to set, you can wait a day or so and see what goals others have set to get some ideas.:bigsmile:

On January 1, be looking for a new thread (probably called "Women Ages 50+ for January)

Sweet dreams to all:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Barbie
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Morning everyone,

2009 almost gone. Where does the time go?

I spent some time reading my Christmas issue of Guideposts magazine. I had set it aside when I first got it so I could read it during the holidays which didn't happen because it got covered up by other mail.

I don't know if any of you have read Debbie Macomber's books. I like her writing but she said she recently started keeping a gratitude journal. She has titled it "My Ode to Joy". Each morning she writes a little Thank you note to God. She says it starts her day out on a positive note. I like that.

She also said "Intentional acts of generosity can open our lives to the very best God has to offer." That gave me some food for thought. I would like to be more like that.

Well I hope you all have a good day with wise choices.

Cindy
  • Smoothdancer
    Options
    Hi All,
    I have just joined this site; for motivation! A few years back I put on quiet a bit of weight and after hard work and habit changes was successful in about a 30 pound weight loss. Now I am 15 pounds heavier again and I just cant seem to get it back together... I gain, I loose, and I guess really have not developed strong consistant habits... I would love to join this group for support.

I am quite active already. My husband and I compete in ballroom dance which puts us at a dance studio a couple times a week, I am also at the gym 5 days a week, so it is not physical activity but eating habits...

Going back now to read some of your posts
  • arborsong
    Options

I don't know if any of you have read Debbie Macomber's books. I like her writing but she said she recently started keeping a gratitude journal. She has titled it "My Ode to Joy". Each morning she writes a little Thank you note to God. She says it starts her day out on a positive note. I like that.

]
  • arborsong
    Options
    OK, so I didn't figure out how to use the quote and reply...............but Cindy, I've kept a gratitude journal for a long time. It does change your perspective and helps to keep you focused on the positive things in your life. Another idea is "Positive Aspects" journal. Esther Hicks suggest writing down all the positive things in various parts of your life...work, food, your body, family, etc. I found that also keeps me focused on the positive.

And, Cindy, I did jump on the scale this am......not bad at all, I must say.

I tried to add my ticker to my signature, but obviously, I didn't get it to work.

Welcome, SmoothDancer! You'll love it here.

Louise
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :heart: WELCOME to the new ladies. You have found a wonderful thread!

:happy: I am THRILLED to report I MET my goals for the month of December which was to see any progress at all downward for the month. I began December weighing 167 and as of this morning's weigh in, I am down to 165. Makes me more determined than ever to get the rest of this weight off by my birthday in February! :drinker: So, I'm setting an almost impossible (for me) goal of 2 pounds per week for the month of January.

:smile: Today is strength training for me. Hopefully it won't leave me as sore as it did on Monday. Hubby is working today and tomorrow so I will probably start putting Christmas back in the box this afternoon. We usually get together with friends, but most of the guys are working, playing catch up from our recent snow, so I'm looking at it as a blessing in disguise ~ no rich party foods to tempt me!

:happy: We have received an offer on our house in Arkansas and hopefully will have earnest money in hand next week. It will be great not to have 2 house payments anymore. 2010 is gonna be a great year at our house!

:flowerforyou: Happy New Year Ladies!
  • joan58
    Options
    I am new to this website and also to all manner of blogs. That being said I am not new to being overweight or dieting. What I hope to gain is a sense of control over my choices, my actions and my results. My long term goal is to lose 30 pounds. I hope to get off to a super start and lose 5 pounds in the month of January. I have begun a strength training program 2 days a week with an hour of cardio at least 3 days a week. Wish me luck and success as I wish only the best for everyone out there, however big or small your goals.
  • debieanne
    Options
    :flowerforyou: flower for all to start your day hope everyone is going smoothly. good morning to all having a tea break here sitting by the window oh my here is the snow as for me i love all our seasons in new england here. they go by so fast. do of course my mronrning song in my head is the weather outside is frightful but our smiles are so wonderful.. i don't remeber the words when i want to by spelling also. been thinking about how to start the new year. isn't this so wonderful so many new people and my pass friends are here and i could not think of a better place to start the year off for me.. i want to say thank you for all the post.. the me a lot.. and sharing some of our family storys. we are all so busy . today is drinking my water:drinker: i was not doing good with that so i need much to get on track will break is over you all have a nice morning love debieanne and family (momof10):smooched:
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Hi SmoothDancer! Glad you are here! I too lost 30 lbs and gained about 20 back. Not too smart huh? I know for me portion control and keeping a food diary are key. So since I have already lost 6 of my 20 we both are wanting to lose about 15 lbs.

Lets all just do our parts to keep each other focused and on track to our goals!

Have a great day,

Cindy
  • arborsong
    Options
    :smile: Ladies, I am off to they gym. I had planned to work all day but my office building has emptied fast. Think I'll follow the crowd right out the back door. Next week, I start 3 1/2 months of very long hours (I own an accounting practice) so I better grab a few down-time hours while I can. Once next week hits, it is so very hard for me to figure out food or exercise. I'm stuck in this seat 80 to 90 hours a week. I'm going to give it everything I can. My goal for January will be to "release" 10 pounds. I can do it!!!

Louise

ps - a Joyous New Year to all!!!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Louise, I don't know how you accountants do it. I do one company right now and it is all I care to handle. The stress is always an issue and like most number crunchers I need to make everything balance perfectly. If I was as good at managing my calories as I am at managing my books I'd be rail thin.:smile:

This thread is such a joy to take part in.:happy: Thank you all. Welcome to all the new posters, you will love the support and camaraderie here.

The start of every new day is a blessing and the start of a new day, and a new year is a special blessing.
    I pray for the the good Lords guidance and grace in all of our lives. Happy New Year! :heart: Alice
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just a quick stop to wish everyone a happy New Year! :drinker:

Have fun and be safe.:happy:

Kathy (pmjsmom)
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Wow! There are so many new names it's wonderful to seel so many finding our thread. Welcome and good luck with your goals for 2010.

My only excercise yesterday and today has been shovelling snow! We got about a foot of snow and with the wind we have 4 foot drifts in the driveway (of course).

We had a wonderful surprise Christmas evening. My husband has an adopted daughter from a previous marriage. She is actually the grand daughter of his ex-wife. The only time we ever saw her was when she needed something. $10k, 1 divorce and 2.5 years of our lives watching her 3 kids later my hubby finally stopped the cycle of always bailing her out. We haven't seen the 3 kids or heard from her in over 3 years. I guess if we weren't giving her money or helping her we weren't good enough for her. The oldest is permenantly with his Dad now and called us on Christmas to tell us that he misses us and wants to come see us as soon as he gets a job and a car. They live on the other side of the country, but it was so nice to talk to him and know that maybe we will get to see him again someday.

Happy New Year's everyone!

Jeannie