WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Vicki-:flowerforyou: I got the You Shape for Christmas. So far I love it!!! My weight was up before Christmas. I started working out on Sat. and my weight is now down 2.5 lbs. I am still 2 lbs. over my lowest MFP weight but I am happy. I started to slowly gain after Thanksgiving and was so disappointed with myself when the scale registered a 4 lb. gain two days before Christmas. I decided to not wallow in self-pity, watched my portions and ate dessert. I have to think that the workout did help get rid of some weight...even if it was water weight! Good luck to you!
    I think I am going to have a day of cleansing too. Vegetable soup sounds yummy!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say good morning to all! Hope your week is going great. I am very busy, as we have lots of company coming tomorrow for the weekend, and our New Year's Christmas. I'm off to cook multigrain waffles, chili, and I can't remember what else, sew gifts and alter a dress for a friend, and clean. (It's my belief that housework makes you ugly.)
    Hope your day is merry and bright!
  • arborsong
    Options
    It's been weeks since I've been to this site - no excuses - just not focused. Mamacindy just jolted me back into action and I thank her for that. I haven't dared to weigh over the holidays but I will do that in the morning for a new starting point. Also, my naturopatch fussed at me yesterday about my eating and said that is the reason I've had a bad throat for 2 months.

Thanks for all your posts. You are motivation - if I'll just come here and use it. I do have my usual Tuesday appt with my trainer today. She also helps keep me focused.

As we march into 2010....................................
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

I do like the new home page, It encourages you to message your friends if they haven't been here for a while. I hope you all will do the same for me if I fall away.

SuzyQ; What kind of bike did you get? I've been thinking about one for myself but I think I'll wait till spring. I've got to get used to our new elliptical. I have been using it everyday and so has my husband. The other thing I want is a weighted exercise hoop. They are supposed to help the waistline issues. Has anyone seen them?

We gave our son a new camera for his Christmas. I'm going to try to see if he can get a good pic of me so I can finally put one on here.

Better get going.

Cindy
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning everyone.

:flowerforyou: arborsong, it is good to have you back.

:flowerforyou: Mary, thanks so much for the excuse for not doing any housework.:laugh: Actually, I am thinking about re-arranging the bedroom. What a chore that will be. First, I need to get my husband away from the TV to help.

:flowerforyou: Mary, I also have been not recording my food. And, it shows.:grumble:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Today I am paying the price for not making time to do strength training between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yesterday's BL Bootcamp levels 1,2 & 3 left me stiff and sore this morning. So I got my exercise duds on and applied the hot pad to the stiff areas and then did 4 Fast Miles with Leslie Sansone.

They are predicting snow for us beginning about noontime so I am making a trip to the grocery store shortly to stock up on healthy snacks in case we get snowed in.

I had a grapefruit fro breakfast and some almonds after I walked. I'm planning a veggie stir fry for lunch. I miss salt more than anything when I detox....
  • arborsong
    Options
    Cindy - I got a weighted hoop last summer. From what I hear, it does great things for the waistline. My trainer suggested I not use it because of my back, but I've tried to do just a little with it every day. It got put away while the babies were visiting. Glad you mentioned it - tonight I dig it back out - along with the foam roller. The foam roller is great for stretching the spine.

Louise
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Could you tell me either how you GOT started or how you KEEP going. I have a fitness membership ... but my neurons are not responding .... meaning I cannot get a habit going.

I started slow. First it was 1 day a week. Then, when that was a habit, I added a second day. Then I went to 3-4 days. Eventually I got to the point where I wanted to run... I couldn't believe it. I've always hated running! Well, not any more.

But I don't think it would have worked for me if I had gone from 0 days working out to 5 days just like that. I woudl have done it for a while but then something would have interrupted before the habit was formed.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone new and everyone coming back into the group!

I'm keeping up on my commitment to excercise everyday a minimum of 30 minutes everyday from 12/20 through 1/4/09 and I go back to work. Today my daughter and I went swimming. It is snowing here and probably the same storm as SuzyQ is getting in Texas.

My MIL went home today and it was a nice quiet visit. We got up in the middle of the night to get her to the airport on time. Both kids are upset about how the security regulations effect seniors. It was very hard for them to watch their grandmother being treated like slow moving cattle and being dragged backwards in her wheelchair by a skycap that was dragging two wheelchairs to the gate at the same time with their luggage being dragged behind the wheelchairs. But, she got home OK and her breathing machine made it through luggage unharmed.

As I sit here I'm realizing I'm more tired than I thought I was.

Chat with you later.

Jeannie
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Hello All

We had a wonderful Christmas with both family and friends. I am so blessed to have my son and his family right next door. The Grandkids helped me decorate the tree. They are 3 and 5yrs. old. The bottom four feet are very well decorated. I found afterwards that I could not get to the top to decorate it, so it is rather bare. One of the nicest trees I can remember. I am childlike in my appreciation of every ornament, and it was great to have them there to share my excitement.

I have not, ( by the grace of God ) gained over the holidays. I have not been consistent in my exercise schedule, and it shows. Time to dust Leslie off and get the weights out. I was up two pounds at the start of all this so I must buckle down and get back on track.

I have enjoyed reading all your posts, sharing in your successes:bigsmile: and setbacks:cry: . What a great group. Thank you; :heart: Alice
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well I've finally uploaded a picture. Well, my son did it for me.

I've also had problems posting this afternoon. I'm going to try again and if it doesn't work this time I'm quitting!
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Great photo! I will need my son to show me how to post one too.:blushing: They get so impatient because they have shown me how to do it and I can't remember...what's a mom to do! Just finished working out to the Your Shape Wii game. It gives me a great workout. I do find it difficult at times but I am sticking with it! Keep up the great job, ladies!:drinker:
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Lovely photo Cindy. Aren't we lucky to have techno savy children?
  • margie1794
    Options
    I am glag I found the 50+women group.I have gained 22 pounds in the past 2 years and I am feeling awful.I gained the weight aroung my middle. I believe it is from menopause. I was taking the bio-identical hormons that make me feel better but did nothing for my weight.I gave it a year I kept on gaining.In Nov.,I had a physical and told my doctor how I was feeling she said stop all the pills and take a cardio class and watch what I eat.So in Dec. I joined a gym I have been working out to the best of my abitiy and have not lost any weight. I am going to give it a chance I am feeling better and I think I see small changes. This sie is very helpful I am so glad I came upon it my mistake one day. New year new goals let's all help each other .Happy exercising to all and healthy eating too!!!!
  • getnhealthy101
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the invitation! I am 56, just getting started on my weight loss. Would love to follow your progress and use it as inspiration!
  • margie1794
    Options
    Don't quit !!!!! Keep coming back!!!!!
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP Friends...there are so many new names...welcome to all.

I feel as if I just woke up from a five day nightmare. We were given a 3-1/2 gallon tin of popcorn for Christmas...which we spent snowed in at home. Unfortunately the popcorn was my nemesis and I grossly overate:mad: . Today I am back on track but the scale was VERY unkind to me this morning:grumble: . I'm not discouraged...just disappointed in myself and greatly humbled. Just when I think I am getting pretty good with my choices...I fall completely off the wagon and become that uncontrolled compulsive overeater. I opted to postpone my official Monday weigh in to next Monday, hopefully I'll have flushed all the sodium and sweets that I consumed out of my system by then.

Have a great evening, everyone.

Terri:heart:
  • msh0530
    Options
    Cindy, great picture! Terri - your weight is probably mostly water from the salt, hang in there! Margie and Getnhealthy, Welcome!!!

Just thought that I would do a quick check in. My Jayhawks just came on to play basketball, and I am still cooking, cleaning and sewing. Have a great evening!
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all, YES I am still alive.:laugh: We have been constantly pumping water out from under our house and out of our heat ducts.:frown: I have not been doing well this month. December is a bad month for me but I am back on track AGAIN.:noway: I bought a new scale, am eating better and am going to exercise tonight.:smooched:
    :brokenheart: My MIL does have stage 1 lung cancer and I will be taking her back and forth to Christiana hospital (which is app. an hour and forty five minutes from our house) for consultations and treatment.
    :huh: I have a dilemma, my MIL's first treatment is scheduled for the same day my daughter is scheduled for her c section to deliver my grandaughter.
    :ohwell: Anyone know of a good cloning doctor:laugh:
    :frown: I really haven't been able to read all of the posts.
    :happy: But I did notice alot of new faces. :drinker: To all of our newbies, WECOME, WELCOME, WELCOME.:heart: You have entered the best thread for encouragement and support that MFP has to offer. I have been a supporter for 6 months and have loved:heart::blushing: :heart: every minute of it. Congratulations to all who have survived the holidays with little or no gain. All of my admiration for those who have managed to lose during the eating frenzy months. I have gained and am now losing again.
    :embarassed: I can't wait until I am able to move my ticker again. :smokin: Everyone have a wonderful New Year. :heart: Love (((Hugs))) and prayers to all, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • msh0530
    Options
    Good to hear from you, Rose.

I just made my first turkey sausage. I can't find any in the stores around here, so decided to try my hand at it. I think its pretty good. Thought you might like to try it:
    1 pound ground turkey
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    I just mixed it in my kitchenaid mixer.