WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :heart: Welcome to all NEWCOMERS. I have not posted for a while. Was also thrown off by the new look of MFP. I already have FaceBook, why do I need another one? Not that happy :explode: about the change, and I would have de-activated except that I have this wonderful group of "WOMEN AGES 50+". Thanks for all the wonderful posts:drinker: . You continue to be an inspiration, which I desperately need. :blushing:

I have not tracked my eating and exercise at all . Will start afresh in the new year. :laugh:

We had a wonderful Christmas!

My mom had a good day today. Every day she is with us is a bonus :flowerforyou: . She might just pull through and surprise us all. I love my mom forever. Sad that I am so far from her, but I call her everyday.

Renny :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Well Hello Everybody... I'm dreaming of a White Dec 29th...:laugh: :laugh:

Actually, so much for the theory that purchasing a snow shovel and waterproof fleece lined boots will prevent snowfall:grumble: :laugh: The "spell" cast by my purchases has apparently worn off. At noon today, the weather prognosticators said the moisture headed our way this afternoon "might" fall as snow in our area for a "short" time. I had a bad feeling about it, so I called the person I had a 4 pm appointment with to see if she wanted to cancel. She said she figured it would be ok, so I agreed to keep the meeting. I walked out of my door at 3:45 to discover it was REALLY coming down, but since I hadn't heard from her I took off. I have AWD, so I really wasn't too concerned.

As I walked up the hallway to her office, my cell rang and it was HER, calling to cancel!!:laugh: :laugh: When I replied by knocking on the window of her office, we both laughed and reset our meeting for Thursday.

This is supposed to be a short-lived storm, --about 4 inches so far--and compared to what all the folks in the midwest and east are going thru, it is a drop in the bucket, but don't tell that to all the people stuck in a massive traffic jam on all the freeways out of downtown Portland (OR). I am watching the news, and it is a mess at the moment. The weather on the tv now says it will be 40 F tomorrow, so like I said, just a drop in the bucket, unless you have been sitting in your car for three hours trying to get home!!!:noway: :grumble:

Since I was out already today, I called a neighbor of mine who isn't too steady on her feet and asked if she needed anything from the store. While I shopped for her, I decided to pick up a nice cold bottle of Champagne for me, so quite frankly, I don't give a rip about the weather. :wink: :laugh: I just had a nice lemon fish fillet with rice for dinner and I am working hard on that bottle of Champagne, and I have doggies passed out on the chair, the ottoman, and the floor, so I am good for the night!!

I have recovered from the sodium overload caused by the Christmas ham, so I am ready for the New Year. Need to increase my exercise a bit. Walks in the doggie park and the neighborhood with the pests are fine for maintenance, but not for losing, so my next step is to try out the Jillian Michaels workout DVD that I bought just before Christmas. I am not sure how well it is going to work out, as the last time I tried to do a workout from Comcast On Demand, I had Pepper jumping around me like a Mexican jumping bean trying to "help.":laugh:

Mary,:flowerforyou: If housework makes you ugly, then I must be gorgeous, because I subscribe to the theory that when I am on my deathbed, I am not likely to say "Gee, I wish I had spent more time housecleaning.":laugh:

I am going to save your turkey sausage recipe to try later. Did you use ground turkey or ground turkey breast???

Louise/Arborsong:flowerforyou: Welcome back. It is never too late to jump back on the wagon!!

Renny,:flowerforyou: I am glad to hear your mom is doing ok. As for the new home page. Don't let it bother you. How much time does one have to spend on the MFP homepage anyway?

I have one window open to my food diary and another to the posts, and I almost never go to the homepage. Now that messages are notified at the top of any page you are on, and the completion of the days calories is on the food diary page, I have little reason to look at the homepage. I am not a facebook user, so I don't know how it compares to that site.

Jeannie:flowerforyou: I agree the airport security procedures are over the top as they affect seniors. I have yet to hear of a terrorist being an elderly person in a wheelchair!!! :noway: I haven't been on a plane since 1994, and I hope to avoid it as long as possible.

Alice, :flowerforyou: Your decorating with your grandchildren sounded like fun. I'll bet the tree is beautiful. Don't forget to take a picture!!:smile:

Cindy,:flowerforyou: Great Pic!!

Eava57:flowerforyou: That is why you have kids, so you can have them help you with technology!!!:laugh:

Margie, :flowerforyou: and Getnhealthy101,:flowerforyou: Welcome!! You have come to the right place!!

Terri,:flowerforyou: Don't let the "Attack of the Killer Popcorn" get you down. You have learned from your experience and can move on!!! Like Mary said, alot of it is water from sodium.

Rosemary:flowerforyou: So sorry to hear that you are still having water problems at your house. And I hope your MIL's treatment is successful. As for the cloning dilemma, I don't have an answer.

I wish you well in dealing with all the challenges going on in your life right now. Hang in there!!!:flowerforyou:

Well, as I get ready to end my post, a traffic reporter just stated that he estimates there is a 25 MILE backup on I-5 south of Portland. That, combined with the freeway being closed around the California-Oregon border is going to make it a challenge for anyone who plans to drive to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Since the Ducks are in it this year, I imagine there are a few nervous people wondering if they are going to get there.

Where ever you may be, I hope you are safe, dry and warm and getting ready for the New Year!!!:drinker: :drinker:

Barb
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I just used the honeysuckle white ground turkey. I think you could use anything.

Another recipe to eat your blackeyed peas for luck in the New Year: (We always have to have them on New Year's Day. My niece says her luck is already so bad, she doesn't want to know what it would be like without them!)
    Mary's Tennessee Caviar:
    One can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
    One can corn with peppers, drained
    One can Hunts diced tomatoes with sweet onion
    One cup salsa or picante sauce
    1 T. minced garlic
    2 T. lime juice

Mix all and let set to blend flavors. Serve with tortilla chips.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Mamacindy – nice picture

Alice – Your tree sounds perfect. I bet you got a lot of pictures to show the grand kids when they are older.

Margie- Welcome. It takes a while to get the weight to start coming off. You will have to find out what works for you. Hang in there and glad your posting with us.

Welcome Getnhealthy101

Terri – Hang in there. I’m sure your next weigh in will be better. Just remember popcorn is part vegetable, so there was some good to it.

Rose – I don’t know what to say about your appointment dilemma. Can your hubby bring his mom to this one appointment or a good friend? I’d be torn as I’m sure you are.

Renny- I feel the same way about the new main page. Facebook drives me crazy sometimes too. It’s TMI (too much information). Glad to hear your mom had a good day and nice new picture.

Barb - I like your idea of settling in at home with something to drink and watch the snow from home. We are getting snow here in New Mexico too. It was suppose to be bad today and wasn't so we shall see what tomorrow brings.

I've been having problems with MFP since the latest changes with the friends thing. This is my 3rd attempt to post this evening. So I better end it now. I'd hate to loose everything again.

Jeannie
  • msh0530
    Options
    I always tell people that popcorn and peanut butter are my favorite vegetables.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Cindy, I love your new picture

:flowerforyou: Barb, there's no snow up here although when the girls and I were at the dog park, it felt like snow was coming...we have a great snow shovel that hasn't been used yet

:flowerforyou: Renny, glad to hear there's good news about your mother

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, can your husband go with his mom and you go with your daughter.......cloning yourself might take too long

:flowerforyou: Terri, I'm sorry to hear about your eating nightmare and glad to hear that you're back on track......be grateful that it didn't last any longer than it did

:flowerforyou: getnhealthy, welcome to the group......check in with us every day and get to know us......these women have changed my life....there's lots of support, encouragement, and friendship here.

:flowerforyou: Margie, I'm glad to join you in your goals for a healthier new year......together we can reach our goals

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, we have an airplane trip planned for next month and I'm trying hard not to dread the airport security.....I haven't been on a plane since 2004 and I know things have changed a lot. I'm sorry to hear that it was such an ordeal for your MIL

This is day three of getting back to my old healthy familiar eating but exercise hasn't been too good. I've been busy doing other things. Tomorrow is li:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: e dance again.

I've enjoyed reading all yur posts and am so glad that so many of us are back posting.......it feels like old times:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat,

I just pulled a real time weather radar report for the area, and while there appears to be some snow east of the Seattle metro area, and a little around Olympia, and a touch on the very western edge of the Olympic Peninsula, it is showing all green over your area, which looks like you should just get good old rain.
    *******************************<<<<"snowflakes"
    They are still showing news stories of people stuck in downtown Portland due to the snow. They didn't appear to be suffering too much, in a nice warm restaurant with friends. I talked to my friends who live in the Columbia Gorge and they had a couple of inches of snow so far, but by the time the night is over, they should have a few more. Fortunately this is just supposed to be snow up there, no freezing rain, which is a common occurence in the Gorge.

A tv weather forecaster just sheepishly admitted that they "goofed" on predicting the snow. It was only supposed to be a snow/rain mix at the lowest levels, but we ended up with 4 inches. Oops!!!:laugh:

Freezing rain is the WORST. I can still remember the storm we had in January 2004 right after I moved to my condo. I laughed myself silly watching Mai Li and Dreyfus, my late great Shih tzu trying to walk in the backyard on the ice layer on top of about 5 inches of snow. They were like the Keystone Cops, sliding into one another and falling over.

The first winter I had Dreyfus, it was Christmas of 1996 and I still lived in Portland. He was barely 6 months old. We had an ice storm and when I took him outside, he couldn't quite figure out what was going on. He sat down at the top of the driveway, which was sloped out to the street. The next thing either of us knew he was sliding down the driveway toward the street, :noway: He slid to a stop on the sidewalk with a very puzzled look on his face. It was so slippery, I had to crawl down the driveway on my hands and knees to retrieve him!! Mercifully, all my neighbors were inside, as I am sure we were quite a sight!!:laugh: :laugh:

I am happy to report that I exercised restraint and only had half a bottle of Champagne tonight, so that means I have some for tomorrow night or more for New Year's Eve.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

BTW, a nice creamy drink is to pour a splash of egg nog into a glass , add a couple of ice cubes and then fill it with Champagne. It is especially handy if you end up with Champagne that has a bit of a "bite" to it--smooths it right out.:wink:

Well, it is time to think about bed, so farewell for now.:yawn:

Barb
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Thanks for all the nice comments about my pic, and yes techno savy children are great. I just wish they could do it in a way that you don't feel like am imbecile while they are helping you. My son does pretty good while my daughter on the other hand could use a little more patience.

I'm off to the bowling alley this morning so I don't have time to comment on everyone's posts. Except Rose I will pray about what you are supposed to do.

I had a binge episode with the last of the Christmas cookies last night. I guess I was just frustrated not to mention bored. I've got to stop doing that!

Today is a new day and I am praying I will stay in line today.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Whew! I got weighed this morning, thinking I MUST have gained weight.:embarassed: ...so face the music....and I lost another 2 lbs!!!! :bigsmile: I can't tell you what a relief it is!!! :blushing: I HAVE been exercising extra and drinking tons of water.:drinker: :drinker: ...and I was off the wagon the day before Christmas Eve (with the carrot cake), Christmas Eve...a little and Christmas Day did a lot of picking! :tongue: But the good news is that even though I was off....( and I believe this is key) I bumped up the exercise and water! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Also I got rid of everything that was a temptation :devil: by Christmas Day evening as well as got right back on the wagon the day after Christmas! I simply can't believe it, though! I was SO SURE I gained!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I wanted to lose 35 lbs by the New Year and I've lost 34! I'LL TAKE IT! YIPEE! :bigsmile: :blushing: :bigsmile:
    Focus....MFP....the grace of God....& one day at a time... have really been my , all time best, gifts this year!:flowerforyou:

I will read the posts as soon as I can. It is the end of the year, and to an accounting office that's when the s--- hits the fan. :noway: So I will be very, very busy...especially in January. I'll be working 6 days a week!
    Don't think I'm MIA because I won't be.:wink:
    Welcome to all the new MFP people!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: It will not only help YOU in your journey, YOUR input, as is everyone's input, will help us all!
    We are a family of supporters ...:love: we are winners:flowerforyou: ...not losers:angry: ...even though...losing:flowerforyou: makes us winners!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    God Bless and have a great day and New Year! If I can post...I will.:smile:
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Two days of detox and that Christmas pound is gone! :happy: Today I had grapefruit and almonds for breakfast and am planning a veggie stir fry for lunch and guacamole salad for supper. I find that garlic, ginger and onion help me do without salt, and avocados quell my meat cravings.... only 8 more days of detox to go!

Today I can actually walk without pain. :smile: Guess I should have used lighter weights when I jumped back into strength training after my holiday hiatus.... At least I didn't have to SIT on the hot pad before I could workout today.:blushing:

I almost fell over from shock :noway: last night when my husband announced he was thinking of getting on my treadmill. He is an apple shaped man and the idea of him getting healthy thrills me! :love: I'm doing my best to keep my mouth shut tho cuz he gets a mule spirit anytime he THINKS something's being demanded of him. For it to work it HAS to be his idea.
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Mary, Barbie, Barb, Jeannie thank you for your words of encouragement. I got through yesterday without even a nibble of the bad stuff...detoxed in a big way and was down FOUR pounds from yesterday morning. So how much junk and sodium does one have to eat to gain 7.4 pounds in a week and be able to lose four pounds in one day...A LOT!!! But I'm back on track, so that's the good news!! I am serious...I saw my compulsive overeater side in a way I hope I don't ever experience again. Thank God it did only cover the five days.

Cindy, you do take a great picture! Regarding the cookie binge, I feel your pain. Hang in there...you really do look terrific!

Rose, sorry to hear about you MIL's cancer (and your water issues). How exciting about the new grandbaby soon to be here.

Birdie, congratulations on your 2 pound loss! Way to be motivated through the holidays. I need to copy your good example. Hopefully next year I can keep my binge to just a day or two instead of five!

Welcome all newcomers! I enjoy reading the posts on this website so much and as Barbie said, reading your posts helps us as much as your reading the posts here helps you.

I just want to say how good it feels to be finishing off the old year and starting the new year on this website:love: , on the treadmill:tongue: , and on the wagon, so to speak! Have a great day ladies!

:heart: Terri:heart:
  • msh0530
    Options
    Just a quick post to tell you all Happy New Year! I may not be on much before Monday with all of the company coming in today. My daughter just called from Texas to tell me she is on the road. One niece phoned earlier to tell me that she will be here for lunch. Better go fix it, huh??

Anyway, Happy New Year! I hope the New Year brings you all of the things that you wish for. Remember, one moment at a time, one healthy step at a time, and if you stumble, don't even fall all of the way down - just catch yourself and keep going on the journey!
    Here's to smart choices! And may God bless you all real good!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym I have been working out to the best of my abitiy and have not lost any weight.
    That happens a lot to people when they add exercise but aren't tracking their food. I bet now that you are here and tracking your food, you will see the weight drop off.
    Terri - your weight is probably mostly water from the salt, hang in there!
    That's what I was going to say!

Well, it looks like I'm on track to come in last in my Fantasy Football league. :mad: I had so many troubles with injured players this year and I kept losing games even though I posted good points. (In total points, I was in 4th place, which would have put me in the championship playoffs, but in win-losses I was in 7th which puts me in the consolation race.) If I win my last game this weekend, I'll end up 7/8 but if I lose, I'll be 8/8. Le sigh.

I didn't work out yesterday. I didn't go to track because I'm trying not to run until 2010 to give my calf a rest. I was going to go swimming but it was raining pretty hard and cold and the pools at the gym are all outdoors. Today I go to PT and I'm too sore to exercise after that. Maybe I'll use my TRX strap to do upper body work. (I say that every day, but now I've "said" it in public so I hae to, right?)

Just got new alert... they've evacuated the NASDAQ and other businesses in Times Square due to "suspicious activity." Wonder what that's about?
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our newcomers! :flowerforyou: Glad you're here!

Well, I never thought that weeks old gingerbread houses would start to look so good! :noway: I actually ate some of one! They are in the trash today! :bigsmile:

Did my second day of the 30 Day Shred. :smile: Having a little trouble with the jumping jacks but I am confident that it will get easier--and then on to the next level! :laugh: I may have to take longer than 30 days to get through the whole video but that's okay.

I was going to do some time on the recumbent bike later but I need a few things from the store (about a mile away) so I think I'll take a brisk walk there instead! :happy: It's not too bad outside and it is a nice walk.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Kathy (pmjsmom)
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    MacMadame - Emergency over in Times Square. Apparently, a van with stolen plates was parked near the Nasdaq building. Everything has been cleared, and people have gone back to work and sightseeing.

I am tracking my weight only twice a week now. I think I was getting frustrated by not seeing any change on a daily basis. I'm going out later to pick up some healthy food - vegetables, fruits, grains, nonfat dairy, etc.

Congratulations to everyone! It is so hard to maintain your weight in December, nonetheless lose weight! Even keeping the weight gain fairly low is an accomplishment.

Happy New Year to all!
  • arborsong
    Options
    OMGosh - I feel like I have done so poorly that I cannot even bring myself to the scales to weigh. I've tried to be better today and hopefully, I 'll gain enough confidence to weigh later this week. I am having dinner tonight with 2 girlfriends but they are both healthy eaters so I know they'll be a good influence. I did work out last night with my trainer and that always inspires me.

Louise
  • debieanne
    Options
    good evening all friends and hi to new friends momof10 here merry christmas and a happy new year.. i am always behind i have not been on in so long. honestly i made a big mistake for myself and not keeping up with this for me so things become very overwhelming and lots took away from what i was doing but i have put my foot in again and here i am i hope everyone has been will i am going to work backwards and read and see how everyone is off to work in a few have a nice evenin momof10 love debieand family
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    Have been missing in action since about mid-December . . . Everyone home for Christmas (lots of kids!) along with grandbaby. All our kids (all adults) like to cook, so they spend time at home cooking for everyone. One big food fest, which was hard. Haven’t gotten on the scale yet, but I will begin again on Saturday. Just New Year’s to get through. Put the last of the kids on planes yesterday and we are back to an empty nest. So much easier with just us . . . . I feel like my appetite is huge :noway: . . so that’s my first goal – to get that back in check and track what I’m eating. Lots of snow here (Washington state) so exercise is going to be a challenge. Probably a cold garage. Missed you all!!!!
    143992.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    Mamacindy . . . I’m still chuckling over your “episode” with the Christmas cookies. I think my “episodes” were probably more like “epidemics” over the past few weeks!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
    143992.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Evening everyone!

Louise: Oh, just buck up and weigh! And I hope you hear me chuckling when I say that cause I was one whiny b*tt Monday morning when I had to weigh (b*tt neekid of course) but I did it anyway and if I had to do it so do you! Actually it will help you get your head wrapped around getting back on track.

I'm really glad the holidays are over and I thought we were finished but I got a call form my SIL who said they are probably coming over to see us New Years day. Whoopie, I'm thrilled! Y'all need to pray for me because sometimes I get in an attitude about them never helping with Granny. The last time they were here they didn't even go back to her room to give her a hug. Well this time she can just sit in her wheel chair amongst the rest of us. Maybe she will slobber or sneeze or spit on one of them instead of me for a change. (I know it isn't intentional but sometimes it's hard to take!) Okay I'm done venting now.... I've got a day & a half to get my act back together.

I've made good choices so far today and the elliptical is probably calling my name. I think I just need to get those endorphins going. At least a mile, that ought to do it.

I'll report back later!

Hey, Brady Glad you are back. I'm sure all those grand youngun's (as we say here in the south) took up all your time. I'm glad you enjoyed them but I hope you are enjoying the quiet now.