Can husband motivate wife to lose lbs w/o being a jerk?

Options

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My husband is the one person who is always free to comment on my weight - so long as he does it respectfully. If he asked me to lose weight, I am certain it would be out of concern for my health and/or happiness. Also, I really like being attractive to my husband. I like that he feels proud of me.

Ironically, even when I weighed close to 200lbs, he never once mentioned my weight. He said I was beautiful all the time - he always has.

However, a few months ago, he actually asked me to STOP losing weight, so I did. It took him a while to get used to a slimmer version of me. Things like collarbones and hipbones surprised him a little! :laugh:

I guess every relationship is different - some can accommodate frank talk about weight and physical appearance, some cannot. OP... you know your wife - we don't!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think that if your wife loves and respects you, then yes, you can. You can say it gently. She may not like it when you say it, but she will thank you later for being honest with her. I really appreciate it now that my husband was honest with me about my weight. Now I can throw it in his face when he tells me that I am talk about MFP too much. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This seems to be YOUR problem, not your wife's. I'm going to go kiss my husband now. :grumble:

Me too!

Well, when he gets home from work :love:

That's interesting because after reading the OP, I got the feeling that he genuinely loves and cares for her.
  • Licialoulou82
    Licialoulou82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY!!!!!
    You say she exercises? so suggestions to do more exercise may not be way to go. If you eat alot around her, stop!! A HUGE way to sabotage the one you love who needs to lose is to eats loads of calories around her, which will lead her to eat the same, that was my worst downfall before my boyfriend of almost 7 years got on board with me. He wanted to eat pizza and pasta and cheese all the time, if he was eating it, why couldn't I?? Understand the caloric differences between you and your wife and be aware of your influence.

ALSO, REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY, try to compliment her more, tell her how sexy she is, this can be an amazing motivator. Wanting to be extra sexy for my boyfriend was such a great beginning, it made me aware of how my body looked and what i wanted change about it, what I wanted to be more flat, toned, etc. Another thing that helped me be aware of how my body looks, I asked my bf his favorite part of a womans body when he answered it made me more aware of mine. ;)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Step one: Hand her a large, very sharp knife

Step two: Tell her what you told us, you know that part about her giant *kitten*

Step three: Run!

I am guessing she will burn about 800 calories runing you down and stabbing you. Admittedly, your survival is not guaranteed, but every plan has flaws.

LOL! That would be a GREAT workout. She could then play the widow card and get a new and better man
  • misteranonymous
    Options
    Whatever you say, you'll be wanting to unsay, and you'll never be able to.

This is the truth. My husband could have written this; I know he feels the same way. Most of the time he keeps his mouth shut; when he gets frustrated and says something it hurts my feelings and the relationship. It's hard to settle back in to a good sex life when I know we are both internally criticizing my body. I feel bad for him and think his disappointment is legitimate, and would like to be thin for a million reasons--he is just one of them--but I haven't been able to get it together yet. It's about being ridiculously busy, eating for reasons other than hunger, some lack of consistency re: exercise, and the fact that my husband likes to eat and keeps food that's hard for me in the house and doesn't wish to change his lifestyle in any way. Not excuses, just reasons, and ones I am still working on. Our extra pounds are probably not fair to you fitter partners in the marriage, but saying something to her won't change her body or her attitude if she's not ready to make the change but it will change the dynamic between you. Just the truth in my house.

If your husband could have written this (and trust me, he didn't), then let me speak for your husband and say that 99.9% of the time he isn't at all worried or concerned about your imperfections, but instead appreciates all of the wonderful things that make the two of you happy together. He is busy appreciating everything that you do for him - the way you make him laugh, the many things you do to make his life more enjoyable, the great sex, the ways you make him want to be a better person, the moments you get to spend alone, and all of the other ways that you enrich his life. When he see's you in the nude, his eyes are instantly drawn to the parts of you that he loves best and his mind very quickly goes to the fun you two could have together (even if the kids are in the next room). When he does notice a small flaw here and there (and I'm not saying he does), he immediately feels bad for even noticing and reminds himself that he is lucky to be with you. If he notices that another woman is a bit fitter than you are, he instinctively reminds himself of everything in your life that makes it difficult for you to stay in perfect shape and assumes that the other woman doesn't have to worry about the same challenges. What I'm saying is that, just because men may sometimes notice imperfections in their wives and even if they are occasionally neanderthal enough to actually mention such imperfections to their wives (or start a cowardly internet thread discussing the issue in abstract), that doesn't mean that these men are constantly critiquing their wives or girlfriends or that they are unhappy in any way. I clicked "reply" without looking closely at your profile picture or other photos (so I can't say from personal observation), but you should trust that your husband finds you beautiful and sexy and know that you are much more aware of and obsessed with your imperfections that he is. Mostly, he's just happy you're there.
  • JenniBaby85
    Options
    That's interesting because after reading the OP, I got the feeling that he genuinely loves and cares for her.

No the OP is saying that he is looking at other women's bodies (probably much younger than his wife) and saying he wishes that SHE would look like them. In spite of the fact that she exercises regularly, and seems to be very health conscious.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the replies, but all I can say is lead by example and do not say a word. She notices, more than a little I'm sure, and is probably embarrassed enough. Try to do outdoorsy stuff with her to get her moving, even a walk after dinner is nice!

Also, do you do the cooking? If not, start! Easy way to stay healthy as a couple just with that.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Post pictures of VS models on the fridge and her bathroom mirror
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Even the most subtle suggestions on this topic are never as subtle as you think they are, at least to the recipient. She has to want to make changes to her diet and activity level. All you can do is set a good example, and hopefully she will want to join and emulate you out of togetherness, if nothing else!

To address those who say if you are a communicative spouse, then it should be ok, I completely disagree. Just because you want to share everything doesn't mean you should. It definitely depends on the person, but most women I know, myself included, would not take kindly to this kind of "motivation." For me, even the most loving comments that I should lose weight would probably have the opposite effect.
  • kandienicole
    Options
    This seems to be YOUR problem, not your wife's. I'm going to go kiss my husband now. :grumble:

Me too!

Well, when he gets home from work :love:

^^^Ditto...and at least he is being honest with himself about how he is feeling, and trying to get advice on how to talk to his wife about it. I give him props for that! I am so glad that my husband is honest with me AND concerned with my feelings and health...a win-win situation in my book!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Step two: Tell her what you told us, you know that part about her giant *kitten*

I am guessing she will burn about 800 calories runing you down and stabbing you. Admittedly, your survival is not guaranteed, but every plan has flaws.

lol
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the other responses.

If she values honesty, then possibly. But probably not.

If she doesn't think you're being a jerk, you are probably not communicating your message effectively because she hasn't taken your meaning.

Sometimes being a jerk is exactly the right thing to do.
  • MelSabourin
    MelSabourin Posts: 68 Member
    Options

LOL! LOVE, love, love this!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    <OP>She's talked about training to do a triathlon together. Maybe I should just focus on that. <OP

yup, do that. Get the junk food out of the house, if any, and then constantly praise the positive progress.
    If you make any mention of say, "um, so are you really going to eat that pop-tart..." she/we get defensive right away. And then she might just start eating whatever she wants to spite you, or do it when you're not around.
    We also don't forget the negative comments, or we turn them negative even though your intentions might be positive. I'm sure you know this about us.

And then take a deep breath cause we are complex creatures who have occasional mood swings. ;) lol.
  • jammet80
    jammet80 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It will hurt no matter how you put it. However, I think u have some very valid points. Maybe it would eventually motivate her if you said something. Personally, I would feel hurt, defensive, and prob a bit pissed. I'd also like to think that it would serve as a wake up call. Good luck.
  • kandienicole
    Options
    Whatever you say, you'll be wanting to unsay, and you'll never be able to.

This is the truth. My husband could have written this; I know he feels the same way. Most of the time he keeps his mouth shut; when he gets frustrated and says something it hurts my feelings and the relationship. It's hard to settle back in to a good sex life when I know we are both internally criticizing my body. I feel bad for him and think his disappointment is legitimate, and would like to be thin for a million reasons--he is just one of them--but I haven't been able to get it together yet. It's about being ridiculously busy, eating for reasons other than hunger, some lack of consistency re: exercise, and the fact that my husband likes to eat and keeps food that's hard for me in the house and doesn't wish to change his lifestyle in any way. Not excuses, just reasons, and ones I am still working on. Our extra pounds are probably not fair to you fitter partners in the marriage, but saying something to her won't change her body or her attitude if she's not ready to make the change but it will change the dynamic between you. Just the truth in my house.

If your husband could have written this (and trust me, he didn't), then let me speak for your husband and say that 99.9% of the time he isn't at all worried or concerned about your imperfections, but instead appreciates all of the wonderful things that make the two of you happy together. He is busy appreciating everything that you do for him - the way you make him laugh, the many things you do to make his life more enjoyable, the great sex, the ways you make him want to be a better person, the moments you get to spend alone, and all of the other ways that you enrich his life. When he see's you in the nude, his eyes are instantly drawn to the parts of you that he loves best and his mind very quickly goes to the fun you two could have together (even if the kids are in the next room). When he does notice a small flaw here and there (and I'm not saying he does), he immediately feels bad for even noticing and reminds himself that he is lucky to be with you. If he notices that another woman is a bit fitter than you are, he instinctively reminds himself of everything in your life that makes it difficult for you to stay in perfect shape and assumes that the other woman doesn't have to worry about the same challenges. What I'm saying is that, just because men may sometimes notice imperfections in their wives and even if they are occasionally neanderthal enough to actually mention such imperfections to their wives (or start a cowardly internet thread discussing the issue in abstract), that doesn't mean that these men are constantly critiquing their wives or girlfriends or that they are unhappy in any way. I clicked "reply" without looking closely at your profile picture or other photos (so I can't say from personal observation), but you should trust that your husband finds you beautiful and sexy and know that you are much more aware of and obsessed with your imperfections that he is. Mostly, he's just happy you're there.

I think you are right on...you sound a lot like my husband. The problem is, first, that a lot of people lose weight to LOOK better, not FEEL better. This is what starts the hurt feelings...health should be first and foremost. Now trust me, I understand that there are people who are overweight, but because they have been working on themselves, they are healthier than someone thinner than them...you know, the whole "skinny fat" thing? The other part of the problem is that people say they want open communication...but when it comes down to it...if it won't make them overjoyed to hear it...they all of a sudden don't want to hear it. So, you know your relationship better than any of us. I know that when my husband says anything to me about my food choices, etc. it is because he knows that I want to be healthy and am trying to reach a goal. I also want to look HOT for him...and is that such a bad thing?? I think it sounds like you have a healthy relationship with your wife...and I think you know your communication style...and it is not wrong to talk to her. It sounds like you love her very much, which is hard to find these days!!
  • JenniBaby85
    Options
    Maybe stop ogling other "slimmer" women just for a week. Then you will start to realize that she is fine the way she is as long as she healthy and happy...
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is you said she works out 4-5 times a week in various ways.

What more are you expecting her to do?
    This is what I was thinking. She's only 30lbs difference? I would suck it up and take it or leave it. Only if she wasn't doing this stuff and was more overweight then I would be worried about health etc.. She is older now, bodies change. We aren't going to be a 20 year old body when we are 40 odd. Some people are just genetically inclined in a different direction. Unless you actually "told" her and she "wanted" to firm up (as that's the only thing I can think would be different seeing she is exercising heaps already) then join a gym together. I am sure you still don't look 20 years old? How would you feel?

I have been married 12 years and we definitely don't look the same as when we were married. But that's why you are for better or worse together. You haveplenty of years left in your marriage. Don't ruin it and STOP comparing her to other woman, she is just who she is. Have you started getting a wondering eye? Are you going through some sort of "mid life" issue? If you love you're wife, take her as she is, as she will you.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hate to admit it but that was the only I lost weight was because my guy was just plain out rude.