Blaming TOM (please stop)

Options

Replies

• jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You know what....each to their own.

There seem to be a lot of people on this forum who don't seem to realize that.

How do you know what everyone else goes through on their period? And the effects it has on their body?

Well done you for being able to stick to the plan no matter what time of the month. But i really don't see what makes you qualified to judge other women in this way.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sigh.............................
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    OP is obviously on her rag
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I must admit, losing weight has actually curbed my TOM cravings and I find them much more easier to manage. I also no longer have back pain and my cramps are only a day long.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Depo made me fat.....

No it didn't!

Sitting on my *kitten* and stuffing my face made me fat!

At my TOM, if its really bad I wont exercise, but then I just don't eat as much to make up for it!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

:laugh:
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, it's kind of pathetic that the OP feels the need to drag women down. As if they're not dragged down enough. Does it really concern you? Is it THAT much of a big deal? Enjoy your salad during your TOM, and other ladies will enjoy their chocolate. At the end of the day...it's none of your damn business.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    why does anybody spend money on tampons every month when you can buy one cup and be done with it:

http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/648061.html

I've used every form of TOM product available and once I went to the cup, I'd never, ever turn back. You can spend aprox $35 on one cup and you're done.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Poor Tom! Women are always blaming him for stuff. (oops, I hadn't read the comments yet)

On a side note, you have to take rest days when weight lifting anyway, so why not plan it to coincide with TOM, if that's helpful. I don't see why anyone cares when other people plan their rest days.

That's what I thought. I feel sorry for all men named Tom. And I agree, if you plan your routine etc around TOM I don't see what's wrong with that, although personally I feel better if I do some kind of cardio on TOM days than if I sit around (and I'm not even normally that much into cardio) and I don't see any difference regarding whether I do weights then or not. But that's just me, and most women get a lot worse period pains than I do, so if they're planning around having a couple of days when they feel like they just want to curl up with a hot water bottle (or stay in bed and eat chocolate), then who am I to judge? If you plan around limitations like this, then they don't end up throwing you off track.

Regarding cravings - most cravings are an indication of insufficient nutrition... someone already mentioned that eating more iron at this time helps the cravings to be reduced, and someone else said they are trying to be vegetarian but get cravings for meat (which is full of iron) around this time. Well women lose a LOT of iron during this time, and women need way, way more iron than men because of it (and pregnancy and breastfeeding) and are far more at risk of anaemia than men. So maybe iron supplements or iron rich food at this time will help. This principle applies not only to TOM but also to general food cravings. Yes some are purely psychological in origin, but you need to rule out physical causes before you self-diagnose psychological problems. If you're not eating enough of something, you'll get cravings, and this is a basic survival response, because Homo erectus (and all the species they evolved from) didn't have a clue what he or she was supposed to eat, so cravings evolved to ensure they got all the nutrition they needed, and we have inherited that same mechanism, we've just (some of us) forgotten how to "listen" to our bodies.

I think trying to have more willpower is possibly the worst way you can deal with food cravings. I think the first thing you need to do is figure out what your body really wants. You may crave cream buns, but maybe your body really wants more omega 3s; you may crave sweets, maybe your body needs more fruit or more healthy carbs... and if the cause is purely psychological (i.e. you're eating enough calories, enough protein, enough healthy fat, enough of all the micronutrients, and you still get cravings for comfort foods in response to emotional triggers that are bad enough to lead to you screwing up your eating plan) then I'd say willpower probably isn't the best way to deal with that either... trying to find the root of a psychological problem and a way to make yourself feel better without food would be better, and in more severe cases, counselling may help.
  • MaraPN
    MaraPN Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree when you use it as an excuse, but for some women exercising while they have
    their period can be aweful. My period started yesterday and I did my daily exercise
    but today im just not up to it. My stomach hurts like hell, I can hardly walk.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    babydiego87....hit the nail on the head.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you OP! I used to eat whatever I wanted. I would consistently show a gain during TOM.

However now that I am really focused on eating well, indulging in moderation, and going to Bikram 3-4 times a week, I am still managing small losses during TOM, something I didn't think was possible.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In addition to *extra* chocolate, PMS makes me say mean things to the man I love. Maybe it's an excuse, but I never say mean things to him otherwise. It's my clue that TOM is coming when I find myself apologizing to my husband. Normally, I'm really sweet.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, it's kind of pathetic that the OP feels the need to drag women down. As if they're not dragged down enough. Does it really concern you? Is it THAT much of a big deal? Enjoy your salad during your TOM, and other ladies will enjoy their chocolate. At the end of the day...it's none of your damn business.

Hormone fluctuations are what they are. :flowerforyou:
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

Did you TOM make you post that?!

(ducks behind keyboard and shivers a little)

I'm just glad that was posted by a female and not a guy. Otherwise, the internet would've just melted.. =]

HAHAHAHAHA!!! OMG, rolling on the floor! Love it!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I agree.

While we're on this topic maybe stop using it as an excuse to throw dishes at people.

By the way who bumped this thread. It's like a year old.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Personally when I had Mirena for 5 years and didn't have "TOM" (I prefer more fun euphemisms), I didn't have the "OMG I FEEL LIKE I WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE" feelings that I have now with the pill on pill-less weeks.

So blaming it for making you eat is indeed exaggerated (it didn't force you), but I don't see the issue with understanding that THAT is where the desire comes from and blaming the desire. It is true it is our own weakness, but in cases where people are eating 1200 calories or less, I'm not going to call them weak for eating. They shouldn't be eating that little in the first place.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I agree.

While we're on this topic maybe stop using it as an excuse to throw dishes at people.

By the way who bumped this thread. It's like a year old.

It is a bloody zombie thread.
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree when you use it as an excuse, but for some women exercising while they have
    their period can be aweful. My period started yesterday and I did my daily exercise
    but today im just not up to it. My stomach hurts like hell, I can hardly walk.

Those are the days...the heaviest and most uncomfortable..are when I push myself to the gym. I mean, it may not feel like something I want to do, but within 10 or 15 minutes of my Jazzercise class, I feel so much better than I did and that strong feeling stays with me the whole day.

I find too that the exercise on those days helps me to resist the cravings. And as for weight loss, this last week (my TOM) I marked a 1.5 lb weight loss. Not sure it will happen that way every month, but I know exercise makes me feel better.