Heavy lifters, do you get offended when...?

Options

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I prefer to save being offended for things that really matter.

^ This. I don't care how much anyone else is lifting. Why should you?
    On a related note.... stop lifting more than me at the gym. It hurts my feelings. I'm shy, small and frail. ;)
  • perpetual98
    Options
    I just want to know what two levels below "Untrained" is because that's probably where I would be classified. What is the first level above "comatose"? That's probably where I'd be.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" is different for each person
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    The weight itself means nothing. All that matters is you're doing more work than the last workout. This can be done with lower weight, higher reps or with lower weight, lower reps and more sets. Just because somebody is working with a lighter weight doesn't mean they're doing less work. Sometimes I go in the gym and I lift 5x5 at 90% 1RM, other times I work with something lighter for higher reps. But I always make sure that the total work done exceeds the last workout by adding up weight x reps x sets.

For example, on a squat day I might lift for a total of 9500lbs on that exercise. I always try to beat it the next time. It can be done any of the following ways:

295x8x4 or
    235x10x4 or
    235x8x5 or
    190x10x5 or..

Just because you see somebody working with a lighter weigh doesn't mean they're not capable of lifting heavier. Their routine and goals could be different from yours. As long as you're doing more work than last time, whether it be an extra rep or a little heavier weight, you know you got stronger. Thats all that matters.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Well I must say I've been in a few gyms in my day and I've never heard anyone walking bragging about how heavy they lift. I think this is an online Bodybuilding.com Misc phenomenon.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Seems like a silly thing to stress yourself out about. Who cares what people say?
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Well I must say I've been in a few gyms in my day and I've never heard anyone walking bragging about how heavy they lift. I think this is an online Bodybuilding.com Misc phenomenon.
    You mean, people online brag about things that aren't true and are completely fabricated?? That's just CRAZY talk!!

I'm so upset can barely type this post while I drive my rocket-powered Ferrari to my supermodel-girlfriend's house for a three-way with her cyborg, nymphomaniac roommates. I doubt I'll even be able to curl my regular set of 1000 pound dumbbells tomorrow morning.

True story.

[DISCLAIMER: No nymphomaniac cyborgs were harmed nor injured, neither physically nor emotionally, during the drafting of this post.]
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i think heavy is relative to each person, i consider myself a heavy lifter (novice-intermediate, according to your link) and i consider that to be pretty good since i just started lifting 3 months ago after a few years off
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

You're very fortunate. Trust me, it's very irksome.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    jrboyles shirt was my fav part of this post.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    The weight itself means nothing. All that matters is you're doing more work than the last workout. This can be done with lower weight, higher reps or with lower weight, lower reps and more sets. Just because somebody is working with a lighter weight doesn't mean they're doing less work. Sometimes I go in the gym and I lift 5x5 at 90% 1RM, other times I work with something lighter for higher reps. But I always make sure that the total work done exceeds the last workout by adding up weight x reps x sets.

For example, on a squat day I might lift for a total of 9500lbs on that exercise. I always try to beat it the next time. It can be done any of the following ways:

295x8x4 or
    235x10x4 or
    235x8x5 or
    190x10x5 or..

Just because you see somebody working with a lighter weigh doesn't mean they're not capable of lifting heavier. Their routine and goals could be different from yours. As long as you're doing more work than last time, whether it be an extra rep or a little heavier weight, you know you got stronger. Thats all that matters.

interesting way to look at it. I like this approach. moving more weight each time. That could get really cumbersome though if you're lifting several times a week.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    No because heavy is relative to each individual.

^^^You took the words right out of my mouth. "Heavy lifting" means repeatedly lifting as much weight as the individual can safely handle to the point of muscle exhaustion. There is no specific number involved.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You mean, people online brag about things that aren't true and are completely fabricated?? That's just CRAZY talk!!

I'm so upset can barely type this post while I drive my rocket-powered Ferrari to my supermodel-girlfriend's house for a three-way with her cyborg, nymphomaniac roommates. I doubt I'll even be able to curl my regular set of 1000 pound dumbbells tomorrow morning.

True story.

[DISCLAIMER: No nymphomaniac cyborgs were harmed nor injured, neither physically nor emotionally, during the drafting of this post.]

Oh, goody! It's my favorite MFP antagonist! :tongue: You've been "off the grid" lately. What's up?
  • socalgirl68
    Options

I agree with this. I am pretty weak to others standards, yet I think the number pounds I use are pretty heavy :P
    I know some people laugh when I drop 15 lbs. to the ground, but that is just as hard to me as 50 lbs. is to the next person. According to that website I am untrained or novice and I have been lifting for 1 1/2 years.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Oh, goody! It's my favorite MFP antagonist! :tongue: You've been "off the grid" lately. What's up?
    You must have me confused with some other overwhelmingly brilliant, devastatingly handsome, meathead lawyer. ;)
  • RustedPopsicle
    Options
    275lb x 5 Squat
    335lb x 5 Deadlift , 405lb x 5 Deadlift

150lb Bodyweight

Come at me
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I lift as much as I can and will continue until I can lift the most..
    If others lift more or less than me... I really dont have any problem...

When someone says that I lift heavy to me sounds like they are not so "concerned" with a balanced routine more so than weight itself.. that's my interpretation.. for some may apply for others may not..

Whatever anyone does and brags or not, or is proud of it in any way. is their option.. we all have our ways to define what we do if it is the right way to say or not.. Im not that picky...
  • LiftHuff
    Options

I agree with this. I am pretty weak to others standards, yet I think the number pounds I use are pretty heavy :P
    I know some people laugh when I drop 15 lbs. to the ground, but that is just as hard to me as 50 lbs. is to the next person. According to that website I am untrained or novice and I have been lifting for 1 1/2 years.

If you have been lifting for a year and a half and 15 lbs is heavy for you in any capacity, you're doing something wrong. No offense, but that's just a fact.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've seen plenty of people go to the gym just to say they've gone. They never give a decent amount of effort, and never really progress. THOSE people I would be upset with saying they 'lift heavy' ONLY because they want to have that 'appeal' to other people. IF they are where they want to be, and are maintaining that is also a different story.

Generally speaking, if I was in a similar situation as you, which I kind of am, I'd end up just mocking them. As it stands, I've only been back lifting for a few weeks after a 6 year hiatus, so I wouldn't even call myself a heavy lifter, I'm just 'lifting weights'... at least until my bench breaks 250 and my squat 500 again.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

If you have been lifting for a year and a half and 15 lbs is heavy for you in any capacity, you're doing something wrong. No offense, but that's just a fact.

That's my point. How can one consider 15 lbs heavy after 1.5 years? If they've been progressing, what did they begin with, 1 lb?