Heavy lifters, do you get offended when...?

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    275lb x 5 Squat
    335lb x 5 Deadlift , 405lb x 5 Deadlift

150lb Bodyweight

Come at me

Wait, wut?
    Do you DL 335 x 5 for a warmup then ramp up to 405 x 5?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I've seen plenty of people go to the gym just to say they've gone. They never give a decent amount of effort, and never really progress. THOSE people I would be upset with saying they 'lift heavy' ONLY because they want to have that 'appeal' to other people. IF they are where they want to be, and are maintaining that is also a different story.

Generally speaking, if I was in a similar situation as you, which I kind of am, I'd end up just mocking them. As it stands, I've only been back lifting for a few weeks after a 6 year hiatus, so I wouldn't even call myself a heavy lifter, I'm just 'lifting weights'... at least until my bench breaks 250 and my squat 500 again.

That's my point. I consider those people posers. Like fake skaters that dress in skater gear, walk around with a board in their hand just to be a poser, but never skate.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No because heavy is relative to each individual.

Exactly. I mean, if someone can bench press 500 pounds but I can't even get that a centimeter off the ground, is that offensive to the person who can? Physical ability is what it is.

I lift as heavy as I can without injuring myself. Therefore, I lift heavy, even if it isn't as heavy as someone who's been working at it longer than I have.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This is the dumbest topic ive ever seen
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    275lb x 5 Squat

150lb Bodyweight

Come at me

Is this guy for real?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Exactly. I mean, if someone can bench press 500 pounds but I can't even get that a centimeter off the ground, is that offensive to the person who can? Physical ability is what it is.

I lift as heavy as I can without injuring myself. Therefore, I lift heavy, even if it isn't as heavy as someone who's been working at it longer than I have.

Did you even read my entire first post and look at the link? Where did I say everyone should be benching 500 lbs?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    275lb x 5 Squat

150lb Bodyweight

Come at me

Is this guy for real?

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's trying to say either.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Did you even read my entire first post and look at the link? Where did I say everyone should be benching 500 lbs?

Did I quote you and respond directly to you? No? Then why are you offended by my post?

It was an example to illustrate a point.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    275lb x 5 Squat

150lb Bodyweight

Come at me

Nobody cares.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Oh, goody! It's my favorite MFP antagonist! :tongue: You've been "off the grid" lately. What's up?
    You must have me confused with some other overwhelmingly brilliant, devastatingly handsome, meathead lawyer. ;)

I read your last post and I was going to say " i love ya, man"..Then I read this one..
  • fcp1234
    Options
    I've seen plenty of people go to the gym just to say they've gone. They never give a decent amount of effort, and never really progress. THOSE people I would be upset with saying they 'lift heavy' ONLY because they want to have that 'appeal' to other people. IF they are where they want to be, and are maintaining that is also a different story.

Generally speaking, if I was in a similar situation as you, which I kind of am, I'd end up just mocking them. As it stands, I've only been back lifting for a few weeks after a 6 year hiatus, so I wouldn't even call myself a heavy lifter, I'm just 'lifting weights'... at least until my bench breaks 250 and my squat 500 again.

That's my point. I consider those people posers. Like fake skaters that dress in skater gear, walk around with a board in their hand just to be a poser, but never skate.

What do you guys even care what other people do at the gym? ugh..men and their ego.
    If you can see what people do, you must not be lifting that heavy:) Just sayin
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Did I quote you and respond directly to you? No? Then why are you offended by my post?

It was an example to illustrate a point.

I'm not offended by your post. My point is, obviously not everyone can bench 500 lbs. I sure as hell can't. But to use the cop out that lifting heavy is relative to each individual is a term thrown around to often. I believe that the 'standards'' are pretty accurate. If one is truly giving it their all, consistently progressing, you'd think they would be able to lift more weight than what they've been calling heavy lifting and meet some of those standards. For example, there are people in my gym, even people here on MFP that brag that they are heavy lifters, yet can't even squat or deadlift their body weight after years of training.
    Another example would be if I bragged to everyone that I'm a yoga master, yet I can only do basic moves.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

What do you guys even care what other people do at the gym? ugh..men and their ego.

I'm a trainer at a gym, so I have to pay attention to members lift and I have the pleasure of listening to people brag :-)
  • fcp1234
    Options

I'm a trainer at a gym, so I have to pay attention to members lift and I have the pleasure of listening to people brag :-)

So let me get this right. You are talking s*** about people that you are supposed to help? People that pay, so you can have a job. Hmm..That’s kinda messed up.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    get 'em fcp :P

thats my girl
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

So let me get this right. You are talking s*** about people that you are supposed to help? People that pay, so you can have a job. Hmm..That’s kinda messed up.

Did you even read my entire first post and look at the link? I'm not bashing everyone around me. Half the time guys just come up to me and size me up, brag about their lifts, just because I have the reputation for being the toughest trainer at the gym. There are those that legitimately try and see strength gains and improve their fitness levels. Then there are those that have been at it for years, are slackers and talk big talk but can't back it up. Big difference.
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I prefer to save being offended for things that really matter.

:heart:
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Oh, goody! It's my favorite MFP antagonist! :tongue: You've been "off the grid" lately. What's up?
    You must have me confused with some other overwhelmingly brilliant, devastatingly handsome, meathead lawyer. ;)

I read your last post and I was going to say " i love ya, man"..Then I read this one..
    I'm totally going to use the treadmill next to you at the gym. Just sayin. ;)
  • wildcata77
    Options

This. But thanks for making those of us that just started lifting heavy this spring/summer even more self-concious about it.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think the issue isn't people lifting "heavy". There is a neuro-muscular and genetic component to strength and what is "heavy" to each person. There is going to be a point where I will no longer be able to lift any heavier than I can after "years" of lifting because I maxed out my genetic potential and deal with aging in the process.

The real issue is people bragging, insecurity, and egotism. Egotism annoys me. Most often than not people have to brag to self-inflate their ego because they are insecure.