Well that was rather rude !!!

Options

Replies

• vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We can't teach each and every person in the world to have manners. Write it off as she has no manners. You did the right thing. I have co-workers, and even when they KNOW and SEE that I'm right behind them, they won't hold the door. I've learned that they have no class, no manners, and no respect. Now, when I see that they are behind me, I hold the door for them regardless. Shocker -- not even a thank you. My snotty side comes out, and I hold a verbal conversation with myself. "Oh, why thank you for holding the door for me" "You are quite welcome!" right in front of them. They probably think I'm off my rocker, but I don't care. In my mind...point is being made.
  • Peezy4President
    Peezy4President Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    people are rude,
  • MonkRocker
    Options
    For the record, neither of these two things are defending the woman's rudeness. They are also both saying the exact same thing:
    So, does that mean you're only willing to do good things if people are polite afterwards? Anybody can do that. It takes a stronger person to love unconditionally and not care about the response.
    even if you don't think so, she may have been flustered and out of sorts...

we don't do nice things for other people, we do them for our own karma...

that's all.

It was certainly rude of her not to say thank you. But it takes away from YOUR actions that you are upset that she was rude - because you aren't entitled to courtesy - it's just that - a courtesy. That woman owes you nothing at all. You should just do the deed because it elevates you to do it, and because doing it should be its own reward. Not because you expect to receive something (in this case a 'thank you') in return.
  • HRCephei
    HRCephei Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is still going....

Too bad your can't legislate morality & manners.. I think somebody famous once opined that....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe it wasn't her bag to begin with and you just handed someone else's bag to her and she wanted to make a quick getaway :huh:

what would you have done ?

If that's the case, she should have been that much more thankful, anyway.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I can't stand rudeness...common courtesy is no longer common so I completey side with the OP here.

you assume it was rudeness. maybe it was. or maybe she was just told she has cancer. why assume in the negative?

assume the negative ? practice what you preach - cancer ? really ? what a lovely thought

My husband found out about his cancer by phone (the doctor was two states away) while we were in a Goodwill. It happens.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was not her bag, and she didn't want to hang about when the owner came out and saw you helping her steal it.
    Did you actually think?

did i actually think ? what sort of question is that ? christ im in a lose lose sitaution here arent i !! if i give her bag back i could be helping her steal it and if i dont give her it back some women has just lost her purse and contents of her bag !! tell me what you would have done ? oh to be perfect

Agreed! Good for you for doing that. Since SHE didn't thank you then I will...thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • bekinator
    Options
    chivalry is a dying art.
  • amv1023
    amv1023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Maybe it wasn't her bag to begin with and you just handed someone else's bag to her and she wanted to make a quick getaway :huh:

what would you have done ?

I would have done the same thing you did. We just don't always know other people's circumstances. It was impolite of her not to thank you, and most likely she was just being a little ungrateful, but will that stop you from doing something like that again? Probably not. She may have realized after she drove off that she should have thanked you and felt bad, you just don't know. You did something nice, take that good karma and move on :happy:
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For the record, neither of these two things are defending the woman's rudeness. They are also both saying the exact same thing:
    So, does that mean you're only willing to do good things if people are polite afterwards? Anybody can do that. It takes a stronger person to love unconditionally and not care about the response.
    even if you don't think so, she may have been flustered and out of sorts...

we don't do nice things for other people, we do them for our own karma...

that's all.

It was certainly rude of her not to say thank you. But it takes away from YOUR actions that you are upset that she was rude - because you aren't entitled to courtesy - it's just that - a courtesy. That woman owes you nothing at all. You should just do the deed because it elevates you to do it, and because doing it should be its own reward. Not because you expect to receive something (in this case a 'thank you') in return.

please read my earlier post about it being a rant and how i can see the other side now- much appreciated - p.s i didnt do it for a thank you i did it because i felt it was the right thing to do - however at the time i felt it was wrong of her not to say thank you which as you will see may now not be the case - have a good weekend x
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just need a little vent !! Popped to the local village in my lunch hour to go to the bank and when I returned to the car park and sat in my car i noticed the car infront of me driving off but there was a handbag by the back wheel so i jumped out of my car and ran to the car with the bag in my hand (which was now near the car park exit!) and tapped on the window, the women put her window down and when i asked "is this your bag?" she said "oooooo yeah it is" shut the door and drove off !! no thank you !!! ooooo boiled my blood !!! x

You still haven't been thanked, thank you for doing that this morning. I certainly hope if I need help someone like you is there =) I'm glad you didn't let it get you down. :flowerforyou:
  • horndave
    Options
    I kicked a cat in the street the other day right in front of the kid playing with it.. did he say thanks???? no... so rude.....

Sooo pointless.
    It wasnt pointless!! It was a cat that needed a good boot......

Really aren't all cats in need of a good boot?

Since when did this topic turn into animal cruelty???

Cruelty???/ I was thinking more Puss in boot type of deal.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Lol what? No. All she said is that she was shocked that she didn't get a thank you. Are you saying that you wouldn't be shocked if you ran after somebodies car to help them in some way or another and they didn't thank you?
    It's called Manors.

i wouldn't be shocked at all. Not in the current world we live in.

Fair enough, if you've lost your faith in humanity then there is no saving you. But please don't imply that people are weak for expecting a simple thank you. You can be the most selfless person on the planet but manors are manors.

I haven't lost faith in humanity. It's the expectation that people have that bugs me. They think it's a right that others should be polite when somebody else is kind. Again, it's an entitlement. Would it have been nice if the lady said thank you? Sure. But like others have said on here, she has no idea what was going on in that lady's life at the moment. She just made the assumption that because she didn't get the thank you she deserved, the lady was rude.

MANNERS!!!!!!!!!!!! MANNERS!!!!!!!!

MANORS ARE BIG HOUSES!!!

GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE!!!

Good god THANK YOU! I was like.. really? MANORS? When did we start talking about estates?
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    Not being thanked for a good deed will never make me stop doing good deeds.

But I get to think you're an a** for not reciprocating.

sorry what ? did you just call me an *kitten* ?

Not at all. I'm agreeing with you 100%. You are right to feel the way you do.
  • louiseshaw88
    Options
    its 17:15 on a friday over here in sunny england and im going home for the weekend where i have no internet - so thanks for everyones opinions some i agree with some i dont and some i find hilarious (giddy up) - but hey thats life and that was a rant - it didnt spoil my day neither do i feel anymore anger towards that women as yes i dont know the circumstances beinhd the reason she failed to say thank you and maybe she was flustered ect i really dont do things for a thank you x have a good weekend x
  • louiseshaw88
    Options
    Not being thanked for a good deed will never make me stop doing good deeds.

But I get to think you're an a** for not reciprocating.

sorry what ? did you just call me an *kitten* ?

Not at all. I'm agreeing with you 100%. You are right to feel the way you do.

haha good job ! x
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Very true and something that people need to be reminded of.

Remember to be nice to people as you do not know what someone else is going through. We are ALL fighting some type of battle.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think someone important once said-

it's better to give than to receive"

if she forgot her purse she was obviously distracted by something, right?

you earned some karma points...rejoice and have a nice cold apple with some peanut butter!

^^^^This
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was not her bag, and she didn't want to hang about when the owner came out and saw you helping her steal it.
    Did you actually think?

did i actually think ? what sort of question is that ? christ im in a lose lose sitaution here arent i !! if i give her bag back i could be helping her steal it and if i dont give her it back some women has just lost her purse and contents of her bag !! tell me what you would have done ? oh to be perfect

Welcome to the MFP forum, anything you say will be shredded to bits. :ohwell:
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    Just need a little vent !! Popped to the local village in my lunch hour to go to the bank and when I returned to the car park and sat in my car i noticed the car infront of me driving off but there was a handbag by the back wheel so i jumped out of my car and ran to the car with the bag in my hand (which was now near the car park exit!) and tapped on the window, the women put her window down and when i asked "is this your bag?" she said "oooooo yeah it is" shut the door and drove off !! no thank you !!! ooooo boiled my blood !!! x

Since she won't say it, I will, Thank you. It's considerate people that make the world livable. If everybody was an a-hole I'd have jumped off years ago.