What/Who annoys you at the gym

Options

Replies

• nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    7 women walking on each of the treadmills like a heard of buffalo.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am not a cute young thing so no one bothers me when I am working out, EXCEPT the staff. I love my gym but they are always trying to sell me something. Because I am so special they allowed me to join for $99 instead of the usual $198. Just for me they will assign a personal trainer who bills out at $85 an hour but will work with me for "only" $65 an hour. I would make fabulous progress with just a little help and it's like Costco....buy in bulk and save money. 36 sessions with the aforementioned personal trainer, mine for only $1,750.
    They approach me while I am on the eliptical trainer to talk about the state of my social life. Do I have any friends? They can give me free passes for them. If five of them join they will put my name in a draw and I might win a trip to Las Vegas. I tell them all my friends are my age and are in wheel chairs.
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    7 women walking on each of the treadmills like a heard of buffalo.

THIS is why I hate going to the gym :/
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A lot of these things I don't understand why they bother people. Like women wearing makeup to the gym. People lifting too much weight. women walking on treadmills and not breaking a sweat. etc etc. How does that affect you? I go to the gym to worry about myself.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    A lot of these things I don't understand why they bother people. Like women wearing makeup to the gym. People lifting too much weight. women walking on treadmills and not breaking a sweat. etc etc. How does that affect you? I go to the gym to worry about myself.

well when they take up all the treadmills and could be walking outside, and are obviously not obese, and i have to wait 20 minutes so they can burn 10 calories, its annoying.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I got irritated today for the first time.
    I was on the treadmill and there was a pretty large guy working the dumbbells in front of the mirror.
    We have all seen this guy. He was lifting heavy, grunting, dropping the weights and then, he would flex.
    I had to admit he had BEAUTIFUL long hair that he obviously did not forget to condition.
    But I digress.
    As I was leaving, he was standing by the reception counter and he was *****ing about the music. This gym plays "pop" music. Not my favorite but, it is a good mix for the mixed crowd there.
    He was INSISTING that they play something "harder".
    I stopped, looked at him, and said "You know, your phone doubles as an ipod, right?"
    He said that the headphones get caught up in the weights (I can see that), so I suggested that maybe he hum a tune in his head.

They have blue tooth sports head sets now that connect to your phone. No wires. It's kins of cool like that. But they are pricier than normal earbuds.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly anti-social so almost everyone annoys me :laugh: (actually, I'm just very shy with strangers) but here's who annoys me at the gym (same as who annoys most people, but I'll throw my 2 cents in in case anyone is doing an informal poll):

1. Young-ish guys (i.e. younger than I am and I'm 42) who are really buff & lift weights and who openly stare at each and every female, leaving me to believe that they are only there on a Saturday night working out because they can't get a date. Me, I'm at the gym on a Saturday night because I need time to myself. You come up and talk to me fella, with the intention of trying to pick me up as a cheap and easy date and I'll rip your head off. :mad:

2. Old-ish men (older than I am) who also gawk at each and every female--except the token octogenarian who is walking on the treadmill to recover from knee surgery.

[moral of the story: men who openly gawk annoy me by making me uncomfortable]

3. Young ladies who look all Sporty-Spice with their hip, matching high-priced workout wear with not a hair out of place who never break a sweat and phone in their workout on the cardio machine of their choice while reading a magazine to pass the time---and then they look at me funny because I'm sweaty and messy in a 5 year old t-shirt from Myrtle Beach and old gym shorts that don't match. Sure, no one can make me feel inferior without my permission, but it just reminds me too much of high school.

[moral of the story: high school never ends with some girls--showing up counts more for some people than actually doing anything worthwhile. ]

And yes, I do realize that all of these are things which shouldn't bother me at all and I should just have more confidence in myself and not worry about others--yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm just answering the question, not trying to psychoanalyze myself.
  • FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect me at all, it just annoys me...thread title hence my response.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly anti-social so almost everyone annoys me :laugh: (actually, I'm just very shy with strangers) but here's who annoys me at the gym (same as who annoys most people, but I'll throw my 2 cents in in case anyone is doing an informal poll):

1. Young-ish guys (i.e. younger than I am and I'm 42) who are really buff & lift weights and who openly stare at each and every female, leaving me to believe that they are only there on a Saturday night working out because they can't get a date. Me, I'm at the gym on a Saturday night because I need time to myself. You come up and talk to me fella, with the intention of trying to pick me up as a cheap and easy date and I'll rip your head off. :mad:

2. Old-ish men (older than I am) who also gawk at each and every female--except the token octogenarian who is walking on the treadmill to recover from knee surgery.

[moral of the story: men who openly gawk annoy me by making me uncomfortable]

3. Young ladies who look all Sporty-Spice with their hip, matching high-priced workout wear with not a hair out of place who never break a sweat and phone in their workout on the cardio machine of their choice while reading a magazine to pass the time---and then they look at me funny because I'm sweaty and messy in a 5 year old t-shirt from Myrtle Beach and old gym shorts that don't match. Sure, no one can make me feel inferior without my permission, but it just reminds me too much of high school.

[moral of the story: high school never ends with some girls--showing up counts more for some people than actually doing anything worthwhile. ]

And yes, I do realize that all of these are things which shouldn't bother me at all and I should just have more confidence in myself and not worry about others--yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm just answering the question, not trying to psychoanalyze myself.

wow....issues.

Maybe you're right and we are there Sat night because we don't have a date. So what if we glance at the occasional girl. Obviously, you've been doing your fair share of staring and analyzing everyone else in the gym....
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    People that want to talk more than exercise. I told a young man I don't come to the gym to hold long conversations with people. I come to work out for 90 minutes and leave. He got offended. What that too harsh?
  • mommyfauc
    mommyfauc Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Cameltoe.
  • nigelicious
    Options
    My choice is what I choose to do
    And if I'm causing no harm
    It shouldn't bother you
    Your choice is who you choose to be
    And if your causin' no harm
    Then you're alright with me
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    people who walk in pairs around the track so one of them is walking in the jogging lane. today a threesome was walking so they took up all 3 lanes (walking, jogging, and running.) So everytime I had to pass them on my jog I had to navigate around them becuase they can't apparently read labeled lanes or just don't care. I wouldn't care if they used the wrong lanes if they got out of the way when runners need to get by.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    people who stare at me while im trying to work out
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I do not go to the gym. I live in a small town with limited options. One muscle head gym that is strictly guys, one that used to be a Curves and is now mainly a yoga place, and then one Wellness Center which is used as a physical therapy office/gym. I went to the wellness center a few times before I qot rid of my membership. It is small and always croweded with the high schoolers and middle aged guys who think they're so hot. I just couldn't get comfortable. And I've realized that I can do all those things at home, for free. :-)
  • topsykretes
    Options
    When people refuse to rack their weight after they've finished the appartaus -- especially men whom lift a large amount of weight; women are unable to remove/lift that much. I always ended up having to approach them asking them politely to rack their weight. Rude, self-centered, lazy, and annoying people that are clueless to those around them! Women are guilty of it, too, though. But it's especially difficult for a woman to follow a man and have to rack their heavy weight when they refuse to do it themselves. Also, women that have taken the same step class for years and think that just because of that, they have some sort of seniority or ownership for a particular spot that they stand in each day. New to a class a few years back, I was literally asked to move by someone because that was "their spot". When I politely let her know that the spots weren't "reserved" for anyone, and I had arrived there first, she literally stood shoulder-to-should with me until I moved. Sad, but true. People began to annoy me so badly by their lack of respect and horrid personal hygiene that I simply created a gym in my garage and I work out there with my husband. I was brought up to believe that we treat others how we want to be treated, and because I know that I cannot control others, I took control of where I work out and saved some money doing so in the interim. If only people would just step outside of themselves long enough to know it's not all about them all of the time...
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

well when they take up all the treadmills and could be walking outside, and are obviously not obese, and i have to wait 20 minutes so they can burn 10 calories, its annoying.

So, if they could be walking outside, why can you not do the same?
    I get irritated, too, when all the treadmills are taken. The difference is, rather than let that annoyance get to me, I just take my tail on out to the parking lot of the high school where a single lap is 1.65 miles and resolve to go to the gym for deadmill duty at a better time.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    - People who cruise the parking lot for 10-20min trying to get upfront parking when they are there to get activity and exercise.
    - People who hang out and chill infront of a piece of equipment and wont let anyone work in,
    - Guys who lift more then what they can handle and look retarded in their poor form.
  • ScottsCompassRose
    Options
    --Girls who clearly DON'T workout (NEVER break a drop of sweat) but pretend like they are there to do so--they socialize the ENTIRE time! SMH

--Guys who spend their time looking at themselves in the mirror after EVERY machine (as though something changed from 30 seconds ago). And who think they're in a position to criticize ANYONE at all, when they're clearly NOT in good shape, yet, either! UGH!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Overall, I love my gym. But....

I am annoyed by the same small things as many here - not wiping equipment; not racking weights, that one kid who drops the weights ALL THE TIME, and people who don't use the sign up sheet for the cardio machines (especially when they are all being used, and you are on the one I reserved....), people who change the TV to a channel that is already on a TV next to it (you CAN turn your head just ever so slightly)

oh - and this thread has made me realize that I have to work harder! Never been hit on, spoken to or looked at at my gym (at least not that I've ever noticed lol)