Foods you have 'discovered' on your way to healthier eating

Options

Replies

• ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Farro... love this grain... reminds a bit of arborio rice consistency so I make risottos with it, make large quantities and then freeze it
    Quinoa .. omg I'm in love with it best dish Asian style quinoa salad nice and crunchy
    Dry fruit in general.. I used to eat figs once a year now I make oatmeal dry fruit bars with figs and dates
    garbanzo beans.. I never liked them much while growing up... now I make roasted garbanzo beans as snacks,, with either Italian spices or Indian spices
    Nut mylk once I discovered I could make my own I don't buy it anymore !! 2 batches per week...
    Almond meal/flour is a by product of my home made Almond mylk, I use it to make pancakes... so good
    Chia seeds !!! love it... my smoothie is not complete without it
    Coconut oil is the oil of choice if I'm baking anything... nice and smoot
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    I think I could eat blueberries all day long. They are so yummy. Banana's and Strawberries... Green Beans and corn!
  • sunsetdon
    Options
    I have a lot of meals on the road with clients so it's hard to stay on track. I've found that eliminating bread and other carb heavy food works best for me. And when I don't have a lunch appointment, a rice cake smothered with crunchy peanut butter and a small bottle of green tea gives me a "make up" meal.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Couscous, oh how I love thee!! :love: Tried it for the first time after seeing it on MFP, now it's my favorite sidedish.

Also a fan of hummus now, which I had never had before.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs I love them, would have never touched them years ago and making my own homemade kale chips( fresh kale rinsed placed on a baking sheet with some olive oil and coarse sea salt for flavoring- baked until crispy like a potato chip- must watch closely they can burn up fast) Very good snack!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    almond milk, steel cut oats, white tea, brussels sprouts - everything else I already knew about and ate before...

ETA: oops! forgot about stevia!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Definately cottage cheese, cauliflower rice and avocado with tuna instead of mayo.
  • BreeMomOf4
    BreeMomOf4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    SO MANY good ideas here! Great topic
  • tkbronico
    Options
    What are chia seeds? What do you do with them? Where can you buy them?
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, coconut oil, and edamame.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What are chia seeds? What do you do with them? Where can you buy them?

they come in black and white, you can order them on amazon the easiest. I put them in my oatmeal, they swell up and thicken things up. I had never heard of them till here either, they run about 14$ per pound at our natural food coop. I bought half a pound to test them and while I am not thinking they change a lot of the dishes drastically, they have HUGE amounts of healthy stuff in them, you will have to look at the nutritional information on it. I guess you can sprout them too (think chia pet) and they are still really healthy. there are youtube videos on it.
  • manleymann
    manleymann Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is so good. Brussel sprouts and cauliflower roasted without added fat. Has anyone roasted kale? Made it last night and it was unbelievable. :smile:
  • manleymann
    manleymann Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Made the kale as you stated last night but used olive oil spray. YUMM................
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I am rediscovering a silly food. It's tomato sauce. I used to love it and then one day not so much. I haven't eaten it in years. I just started making my own and I absolutely love it now.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts
    Laughing cow cheese
    Hummus
    Green bell pepper
    Turkey burgers
    Sweet potatoes
    Frozen fruit
  • Educ8rChic
    Educ8rChic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy pistachios! They are very tasty and a serving size is 1/2 a cup. That is a lot to me considering you get way less with other types of nuts. They are very good for you as well...
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    oh, another one,
    is 99% fatfree WHITE meat ground turkey. (dark turkey meat is just as fatty, if not more fatty, than beef)

Saves on both calories AND fat grams.
  • barrie0
    Options
    Salad! Seriously, my diet has been that bad for a long time!
  • alansgal
    Options
    I know it may sound gross but I eat avacado chunks mixed with my cottage cheese. Love It!