Foods you have 'discovered' on your way to healthier eating

Options

Replies

• Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Fuji Apples. I can remember my mom trying for most of my school years to get me to eat apples & I would refuse. Now I just love them.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Kale, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, beets, coconut milk & oil, dandelion greens, almond butter...
    the list goes on, but those are a few highlights lol
  • lucindasun
    Options
    im also enjoying roasted hemp seeds seasoned in sea salt,,,they are a unique combination of omega 3's and 6's and apparently a little scoop of hemp seeds on a salad or in your morning shake is the same benefit as a 4oz piece of salmon. You can eat them as a snack they taste like pumpkin seeds.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas ......roasted & grilled veggies ..... mmmm, getting hungry here :drinker:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    fresh leaf spinach. It's on every sandwich I make now.
  • 45taylor
    45taylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    pistachios!!!! love them!!!
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Beets ... and my nephew had to get me to try them.
  • plfeery
    plfeery Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash. I love it!

SAME HERE! :)

I just made zucchini (green squash) spaghetti last night for the first time--I cooked it up with some baby portabellos and a smidge of parm and it was SOO good! I call is Zu-'sgetti :D

Ditto, I have used it added to my stir fry veggies and it is great! Love it!
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Grilled or baked zucchini! Yum! :heart:
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    Chia Seeds, Quinoa, Wegman's Super (Protein) Pasta, P28 Protein Bread, Greek Yogurt, Casein Protein Powder, Polenta, Bison/Elk/Ostrich, Spaghetti Squash, Sunchoke Pasta, Baked Sweet Potato Wedges, Cauliflower Crust Pizza, Balade Butter (reduced everything bad but still butter), Various new nuts like Brazil nuts, Edamame Hummus, Eggplant Hummus, Almond/Hazlnut/Sunflower Butter, PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter.

Also, Milk Progression:

Whole Milk->Skim Milk->Skim Organic->Soy Milk->Almond Milk->Flax Milk

Wait wait wait.... Did you just say Eggplant Hummus? This sounds like something I could do. I completely fail at baking, frying or any sort of preparation of eggplant, it seems. Please indulge me (private message maybe because I never see replies on the boards) with a recipe or more info of some sort. PLEASE!!
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    I'm discovering asparagus (thanks to Pinterest, I'm finding a LOT of recipes for it), Brussels sprouts (and thanks to my garden where I'm growing them, I also learned that you can eat the big leafy green part as well and use it in place of lettuce, pan fry it like kale, strip it for tacos, use it in place of a flour tortilla when making wraps, etc. It's a great plant and tasty!!), kohlrabi, I'm experimenting a lot more with healthier ways of cooking my meats, trying hard to find healthier things to snack on and all that. It's a fun experiment.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Chicken. Lol .I mean I've always eaten chicken but I've only recently discovered how truly AWESOME it is.

Yellow onions! They are so good!

and greek yogurt. I never liked yogurt before this.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Nutella

Agreed it's REALLY GOOD!!! But it has a pretty high calorie content.

Yes it does, but I usually make toast with peanut butter and then put a little bit of nutella on it for taste. It's like a peanut butter-chocolate combo. And I'm only using half a tbsp at the most.
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What do you do with the quinoa? I tried to use it a few years ago but must not have had a very good recipe because it wasn't very good.... Would like to incorporate this into my diet, but don't know how to use it. Thanks!

Try it with chicken broth....you need to rinse it befor you cook it.
  • shaebaybee07
    shaebaybee07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BANANA SOFT SERVE!!!! I have no need for ice cream anymore!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Oat and Chocolate bars & Who Nu? Chewy Chocolate chip cookies are my new favorite healthy snacks compared to the stuff I was eating before that.
  • butlerangelia
    butlerangelia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LOVE roasted cauliflower w/ EVOO as well as mashed cauliflower! also stopped eating meat so am finding so many ways to eat now and not miss it at all!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Kind bars and fresh fennel bulbs (not together :smile: )
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    oatmeal in the morning!

i always avoided oatmeal, sounded too plain/unappetizing, too much of a pain to make

plus i always loaded it with sugar and crap

but now i eat it mixed w ff yogurt, almonds, cereal, fruit, cinnamon, applesauce...whatevers handy and i actually began to crave it

and it's true what they say it makes you so full, one serving and i'm busting a gut, not hungry for hours
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Whole grain bread.