Replies

• tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    W3D2 done! woo hoo
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Still trying to find out what "counting your threes" is. A google search came up with cribbage and card counting. Somehow, I don't think that's is.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing related to running. Maybe just something that is motivational to ivykivy. Or maybe she meant she counts to 3. Some folks breathe 2:1 (2 steps in, 1 out) and maybe that's it? LOL, I'm just grasping at straws now.
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    Hi guys, I think this article explains it pretty good.

A lot of times, when people take up running they quickly lose track of their heart rate and breathing. This results in a fast loss of energy in a short amount of time. In this article you will learn how to easily control your heart rate while running, so that the only thing slowing you down is the limits you put on yourself.
    Step 1
    After you are warmed up and stretched out start at a nice even pace. Take a slow breath in through your nose for a count of 4 or 5, depending on what is most comfortable for you, and breathe out through your mouth for the same count.
    Step 2
    As your heart rate starts to go up, decrease your count, but not by more than a count or two. Unless you're tackling a hill keep a steady pace of no less than 3 counts in and 3 counts out. 3.
    Step 3
    When it comes to hills, less is more. Decrease your count to 2 or 3 breaths in/out but no less than that as your heart rate will climb too fast and you don't want to hyperventilate. When you go down the hill slow things down as much as possible and get back to a 3-4 count breath.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It was supposed to be counting by 3's. Breathe in 1-2, breathe out on 3 and repeat . Sometimes I count to 10 breathe in odd, breathe out on even. It just helps me concentrate and breathe. It's something that Billy Blanks always had you do in taebo when It gets hard count your reps. If I don't do it I find myself panting which ain't good. Sorry for the confusion
    I did it. I completed Week 5 day one with the help of some green tea, peanut butter and prayer. :bigsmile: Everytime I felt like quitting I slowed down a little. I started counting my 3 and that helped my concentration and breathing. I know it sounds stupid but it worked. I gotta get some better shoes though b/c my feet are killing me. I don't have that kinda money to drop but I guess it's pay now or pay later with foot issues.

What's counting your three? I'm a total running rookie.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I count my breathing, too. I stay at 3:2 (in 3 out 2) as long as possible (usually about 10 minutes right now) and then switch to 2:2.

I only switch to 2:1 when I'm sprinting the last minute or so. If I'm wanting to breathe at 2:1 any other time, to me that means I need to slow down my run.

That's just something that has helped me with longer runs -- keeping my breathing at 2:2 max.
  • ivykivy
    Options
    We all count at different rates. I try to use the sesame street version of elongated counting:laugh: . Sometimes I'm counting and look at the timer - I've counted to 10 and it's only been 5 or 6 seconds. So I figured every time I count to 3 it's really 1.5-2 seconds; hence the counting by 3's.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    We all count at different rates. I try to use the sesame street version of elongated counting:laugh: . Sometimes I'm counting and look at the timer - I've counted to 10 and it's only been 5 or 6 seconds. So I figured every time I count to 3 it's really 1.5-2 seconds; hence the counting by 3's.

Yeah -- I just count in time with my steps. I always thought that was rather implied with the whole breathing ratio while running thing. So, I took the liberty of assuming you did the same (:blushing:). I don't think I could count any other way! :laugh: I'm not exactly coordinated, I guess. I have a hard enough time not running to the exact beat of the music I'm listening to (and my performance increases greatly during songs I can sync my steps to). :tongue:
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Just finished W1, and feel really good. Looking foward to starting W2 tomorrow or Monday. Burnt 398 cals.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Took two weeks off to let the foot rest and then I started back with week three today.....which is kind of annoying because I was on week 4 when I took my break.....BUT just to keep my foot happy I thought it best to start slowly.

I made it through with no pain. Got new shoes and some inserts with more arch so hopefully that will combat any other issues.

I got an ipod touch so I was able to use the C25K app which was pretty nifty and I tried out the new Enell bra which worked fabulously! Highly recommend it!

Just glad to be back!
  • tc41586
    Options
    Finished week 3 today. Usually I say "I'm so worried/anxious/nervous/you fill in the blank for the next week" BUT I'M NOT. Today was a piece of cake (no pun intended). Loving it!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I have ONE workout left, w9d3 that I've had to postpone because of some serious TOM sabotage. If I get off work early tonight (I work 8.30am-9pm Tues & Wed) I'm going to be all over it. If not, it will have to wait until Thursday. :ohwell: I'm excited about working on my speed!
  • tc41586
    Options
    Week Four Day One was a breeze. I can't believe that I love running so much.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Week 8 Day 2 completed! I also treated myself to a massage :)
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    The gym is finally open again! I start back up tomorrow after classes - I am SICK of running in the cold, and I haven't gotten out in more than a week because of snow and travel. I miss my running shoes!
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group...I finished wk3day2 today...I have only been running at 3mph due to recovering from blood clots...I know it is not as fast as everyone else, but it is still an accomplishment...thanks
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Go as fast or slow as you need to go.
    I would love to join this group...I finished wk3day2 today...I have only been running at 3mph due to recovering from blood clots...I know it is not as fast as everyone else, but it is still an accomplishment...thanks
  • ivykivy
    Options
    I finished week 5D2 today. I had to slow down a little every 2 minutes but I finished.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I'm so irritated! I can't believe I'm on w9d3 and haven't been able to run for an entire week because of some serious TOM issues and now very sore calf muscles. :ohwell: I overdid the stair walking (for exercise) on Tuesday and my calves have been killing me since Tuesday night. I think they're worse today than they were yesterday, but it just feels extremely sore -- not more serious. But they are so sore they're actually affecting my ability to walk. I've been trying to heat them & keep stretched as much as I can today but they're not improving. I may try to walk it out tonight so that I can run, but if not it looks like *this* Saturday is my day.
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Jlb
    You are almost finished! Just one more day and you'll be finished! That is awesome. Don't stress about it.
    Congratulate yourself.
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Hey everyone, I've kind of taken a weight loss break the last few months sadly cause I've had a ton going in my life, so I'm back and ready to go and I'm starting the couch to 5k over again cause I lost amost 20 pounds doing it the last time :smile: So I was going to see if I could join your group.