"MILF"... it is offensive?

Options
GorillaEsq
GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
The colloquial acronym "MILF" (mom I'd like to f**k), a term typically utilized to describe a sexually attractive older woman, was most notably interjected into the American vernacular when it was scripted into the 1999 movie American Pie.

I personally find the term mildly annoying for no other reason than it has become so cliche' throughout the Internet and pop culture.

Some women find it offensive.

Some women wear it as a badge of honor.

Thoughts?

Happy Sunday.

Replies

• Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    When i became a Mum i got called a MILF and i took it as a compliment. lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I find that it is misused far too often.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    The allure behind being a "MILF" has eluded me.

ETA: IT'S TOTALLY OFFENSIVE! HOW DARE YOU DECLARE YOUR DESIRE TO F**K ME WHEN YOU KNOW THAT YOU WOULD NEVER ACT UPON IT!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't usually think of compliments as being offensive. But that's just me.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    VERY!
  • genefabes
    Options
    if I ever have kids, I'll gladly take the compliment.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    wearing the badge and the t-shirt proudly ..at 50 years young I'll take any form of compliment :drinker:
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    As cliche and unoriginal as it is, it's suppose to be a compliment and I take it as such.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I'm curious as to why some women would find it offensive. Though juvenile, the person using the term is in essence saying that the woman is "hot."

Is it the age thing?

As in, "Wow, you're really hot to be so old.."

(typos, sorry)
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    that term is right up there with Cougar. it depends on the context it's used, if i find it offensive or not. Usually it's a pretty funny comment, so I don't get bothered by it :)
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Compliment. Not offensive.

I'm not a mom, but if someone called me a LSILF (law student I'd like to...) I would take it as a compliment.

So yeah.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Um, if I was old and someone called me that, then yeah, I'd be a little pissed and flattered at the same time.
  • Claremarie1987
    Claremarie1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not as offensive as GILF
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I find it not only offensive to me..but also my husband. Our 16 year old daughter always tells me the guys she goes to school with call me that. I think she should be offended but she is not. It makes me uncomfortable and when they say is your Mom picking you up? I just sit it the car! How would you like it if they were saying that about your Mom?
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Right, that's what I was asking before... is it the "backhanded" nature of the compliment? Like, "Wow... she would be really pretty if she wasn't so fat..." Ergo... "She's hot, even though she's old."
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I find it not only offensive to me..but also my husband. Our 16 year old daughter always tells me the guys she goes to school with call me that. I think she should be offended but she is not. It makes me uncomfortable and when they say is your Mom picking you up? I just sit it the car! How would you like it if they were saying that about your Mom?

My mom looks awesome so I would be flattered lol
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Compliment. Not offensive.

I'm not a mom, but if someone called me a LSILF (law student I'd like to...) I would take it as a compliment.

So yeah.
    Lawyers are terribly unattractive. Trust me. ;)
  • genefabes
    Options
    Right, that's what I was asking before... is it the "backhanded" nature of the compliment? Like, "Wow... she would be really pretty if she wasn't so fat..." Ergo... "She's hot, even though she's old."

if a chick reads into anything that far, just run.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I curious as to why some women would find it offensive. Though juvenile, the person using the term is in essence saying that the woman is "hot."

Is it the age thing?

As in, "Wow, you're really hot to be so old.."

"I curious"... You Tarzan?
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I had met an attractive younger man who had sent me a message that said "Got MILF". I had no idea what it meant and assumed the worst so I didn't pursue him any further. WOW was I wrong! Too bad I didn't know then what I know now!
    I do find it mildly offensive in general, but if the right guy refers to me that way.....well, I can't stop him from having those thoughts now can I? :wink:
This discussion has been closed.