WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Just got home from my maiden ride on my new bicycle. Whew! Had to come back home and put on gloves even though it was almost 60 degrees and sunny. What an enjoyable way to burn calories!:glasses:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jeannie, I would have a similar reaction to having vegetables. Only in my case if would be the kids frowning and the husband grinning.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Susan, I so envy you. Not only the warm weather but for having a bike. My husband and I went to the store where we have our bikes on layaway to tell them that we would be picking them up in about three weeks. I can't wait to go for a ride. I am even planning on biking to the gym.

I took one of the girls out to dinner last night for her birthday. And, I totally over ate. I went to Zumba this morning to burn some of those calories but I then ate them back at breakfast.:mad:
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Options
    Havent weighted myself this week but hoping for at least 2lb lost..Staying below my calorie limit and keeping my journal(which really helps) Doing great with not snacking at night. Im more excited about that than anything else!:smile:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Tearose (I love that name), it sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work.:flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Talking about obesity: to me it's just horrible what they serve in restaurants! With so many families where both parents work, they tend to eat out a lot. I know that the place where dd works at, I asked for a baked crab cake on whole wheat. There were SO many french fries that came with it, that they were, literally, falling off the plate. The next time I asked for steamed broccoli instead of the fries. I almost had to use a magnifying glass to find the broccoli! Now I ask for two servings of the broccoli. Don't even get me started on going out to eat in the South! I've been told that the norm is for them to deep fry fish, but you have to specifically order it baked or grilled. Now why can't the norm be baked or grilled and you have to specifically ask for it deep fried?

committed - you talked about using pumpkin. Have you ever tried substituting pumpkin for the oil and eggs in boxed brownie mix? They do come out gooey, but to me they taste fine. Oh, you can still taste a bit of the pumpkin, but really, I don't think it's that bad. Also, what I do is take a box of spice cake mix (Duncan Hines is the only one I've found who makes this), mix it with a 20oz can of pumpkin (I think that's the size, somewhere around there, anyway)....that's IT. That will usually make 12 muffins. Just bake it at 350 for 30 min.

barbie - I do try to limit the sugary stuff. But this is the holidays and I admit that I would have a cookie or two. Thanks for checking out my diary. My New Year's Resolution is to try to eat more meatless meals. This should be interesting, seeings how dh is a real meat and potatoes man. That means two dinners (so what else is new?). I'm going to have to look for meatless recipes. Anybody have recipes that include the nutritionals? Oh, I know that I can get lots of vegetarian recipes, but they usually don't have the protein, etc.

weaklink - thanks for the explanation of the "raw" meat. Makes sense now that you explained it.

Debbie - it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the reason I can't get the yeast in jars has to do with the fact that here in the South, yeast isn't a real big thing. I almost fell over the first time I went food shopping and saw this HUMONGOUS can of lard. Yuk! Make something from scratch? Wouldn't surprise me if very few people do that. Well...I'm one of the weird ones, someone who asks for my food cooked a different way (not deep fried), someone who likes to know what's going into my body. Oh well..... Yup, I cook most of my own meals (which are healthy, much to dh's dismay). dh wants me to make his food w/o spices and he can't understand that you many times need to cook the food w/ the spice. He wants me to add the spices AFTER I've cooked it (only most times I don't) You know, the most interesting thing I've found is that now that I use almost no salt at all, I'm really sensitive to it when we go out and there's salt in the food. The other day we were at a restaurant and they put salt on the outside of a baked potato. Wonder why they did that (except to make you thirsty and therefore order more soda which increases their profit).

swissmiss - congrats to your hubby! What kind of work does he do?

Gonna go make my protein shake for tomorrow. What I do is take a ripe banana (those are usually cheaper, I've found that if you peel them and then freeze them, you can have bananas for cakes, breads, whatever), add some Whey Factors (this is the only one that I've found that doesn't contain any artificial sugars -- and the calorie count isn't so bad), add some water, then blend it all. If you blend it, it comes out creamy. Only lately my blender has been giving me grief -- the blades don't spin. I think the little thing that goes into the blade part is worn out. Looks like I'll need to buy a new one. Well, this one is ONLY 31 years young. Update: nope, the blades don't spin. Guess I'm just going to have to mix this one by shaking up the jar. Tomorrow....I hit the store

Just had some greek yogurt. mmmmmm....is that stuff good! I admit that I really don't like the plain, but add a tsp of honey or some fresh fruit....died and went to heaven!

Debbie - do you use a crockpot? I have a cookbook called "Fix It and Forget It Lightly" which has all the nutritionals. One recipe that we like is 4 chicken breast halves, 1 pkg dry Italian dressing mix, 1 cup water or chicken stock. Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle w/ dressing mix. Pour water over chicken. Cover. Cook on low 8 - 10 hours or until juices run clear. Per serving (makes 4 servings) 160 cal. If you want, I can give you the rest of the nutritionals.

Well, I did buy myself a new blender today. Got another Oster. Actually, I got the cheap one b/c the more expensive ones had glass jars whereas the cheap one had a plastic jar. I'm afraid the glass might get real heavy once I put soup or whatever into it. Next thing I need to buy -- a new crockpot. I've had mine since before I was married, and I'm married 31 years. I think it's about time, don't ja think? One feature that I know that I want is one with a timer since right now I have a timer and I plug that into the wall and the crockpot into that. Another feature I'd like is a removable (for cleaning) crock. See, back when I got mine they didn't have these features. Are there any other features you like?

Is there a way to change the calories/day? According to the Harris Benedict formula, I should be taking in 1253.4 calories daily. Yet, MFP says I should have 1380.

Barbie and Jake - happy anniversary!

Cindy - that is so wonderful of your daughter to want to go on the ship. That speaks volumes about you, too. You raised such a wonderful daughter! Sometimes the experience you get is worth so much more than the pay for the job.

Wow Debbie! You sure do have great self-control, throwing out that cake. Me? I'd probably take a SMALL piece, savor it and when it's gone, that's IT. Many is the time when I make cookies or something for a special event (like Christmas) and then just don't want them in the house tempting me, I'll donate them to the local soup kitchen. That weight loss was worth throwing that piece of cake away!

barbie - we use 3/10cc needles for our cat (the diabetic one). He gets one unit of insulin 2x/day. The markings for the units are larger.

Alice - the interesting thing is that the insulin doesn't require a prescription but the needles do. Oh, barbie, what we do when we're through with the syringe is cut off the needle (with wire cutters). Then you can throw the syringe away but it can't be reused. We have a baby food jar just full of needles. Honestly, it'll probably be 20 years before we fill up the jar....lol the needles are so thin.

Have a great day everyone!
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    SuzyQ - ride a bunch for me! I would love to be riding outside! Gonna be a few more months before that will happen.

Gama - welcome! You'll love this site!

Debbie - LOVED your description of weighing in! I hope I have that kind of luck when I weigh in next!

Life has been crazy lately - my youngest son has his car vandalized. He went out to go to work and all 4 wheels were gone, a window busted out and his bike and skateboard stolen out of the back. Grrrr. And he lives 5 hours away so I've been burning up the phone lines helping him get insurance issues figured out, etc. What an ordeal. But - there is an upside! I did not resort to overeating to soothe my anxiety like I would have a few weeks ago! YEA!

Hope everyone is having success this weekend with their eating and exercising!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Exermom- I don't cook two meals for my meat and potatos half of the family. I just cook less meat and lots of other stuff. My daughter and I usually share a steak or a chicken breast where hubby and son each get their own. We have veggie burgers in the house and DD and I eat those. I don't use a separate pan, I just start the meat burgers first and put the veggie burgers in when I flip the others over. I work and barely have time to cook one dinner. Meatless nights always include pasta. It does save money in the long run.

To all that have lost - my congradulations.
    To all struggling - hang in there.
    SuzyQ - Enjoy your bike. I'm so proud of you for getting back on one and riding.

To all the snackers amoung us - I read an interesting article while waiting in a doctor's office. It said that instead of trying to stop snacking the first thing you should do is change what you snack on. It said to switch to single ingredient items like veggies, nuts or trail mix and only get things where the ingredients are whole items. That changing what you eat first will help you stop later and help improver your diet and save you calories in the mean time. I wish I could remember more, but it might be worth a try if those snacks are just too much for you to just stop.

Have a great evening everyone,

Jeannie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I managed to survive another week of work. I stopped at Trader Joe's and I picked up some Edamame Hummus. I am looking forward to having a little with some soy and flax seed chips before I cook another Tiliapia Filet with the peach & mango salsa. So far, I am stuck in my chair with 18 lbs. of (canine) "Pepper" :heart: on my lap. It makes posting a challenge. The laptop is on my chest and I am about cross-eyed trying to read posts.:laugh: :happy:

Mercifully, he just moved!!:drinker: :drinker: My leg was going to sleep!!! Anyway, congrats to all that are losing.

Exermom, if you want to change your calories, I think you can do it by going to home, and then settings and then tweaking your diet/fitness profile. I believe you can edit the calories per day a few windows in to the profile.

Barbie, I am glad you enjoyed the "virtual eggplant" that I sent you!!:laugh: Can't believe it has only been a week since you guys were here. Seems a lot longer.

I am sitting here tonight watching Indianapolis beat up on Baltimore. I really wanted to watch the AZ/New Orleans game, but it was play while I was working today:mad: Tomorrow, its Dallas and Minnesota--that will be interesting. It is amazing how much more interesting football is if you enjoy it with a couple of rum cocktails!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I am only doing this because I had trouble sleeping last night and I want to be "relaxed" when I turn in tonight.

I found a hilarious post by memaw66 on another thread that I am going to post on here because it will make you roll on the floor with laughter. You will see what I mean in a sec, as I am going to end this post and go pull it and add it to my next post.

Be back soon.

Barb
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So here is what I was talking about. Thanks a bunch Memaw66--this is a riot!!!
    You've heard about people who have been abducted and had their kidneys removed by black-market organ thieves.

My thighs were stolen from me during the night a few years ago, I went to sleep and woke up with someone else's thighs.. It was just that quick. The replacements had the texture of cooked oatmeal. Whose thighs were these and what happened to mine? I spent the entire summer looking for my thighs. Finally, hurt and angry, I resigned myself to living out my life in jeans. And then the thieves struck again!

My butt was next. I knew it was the same gang, because they took pains to match my new rear-end to the thighs they had stuck me with earlier. But my new butt was attached at least three inches lower than my original! I realized I'd have to give up my jeans in favor of long skirts.

Two years ago I realized my arms had been switched. One morning I was fixing my hair, and was horrified to see the flesh of my upper arm swing to and fro with the motion of the hairbrush. This was really getting scary - my body was being replaced one section at a time. What could they do to me next?

When my poor neck suddenly disappeared and it was replaced with a turkey neck, I decided to tell my story. Women of the world wake up and smell the coffee! Those 'plastic' surgeons are using REAL replacement body parts - stolen from you and me! The next time someone you know has something 'lifted', look again - was it lifted from you?

THIS IS NOT A HOAX.
    This is happening to women everywhere every night!!
    WARN YOUR FRIENDS!

P.S. Last year I thought someone had stolen my Boobs. I was lying in bed and they were gone! But when I jumped out of bed, I was relieved to see that they had
    just been hiding in my armpits as I slept. Now I keep them hidden in my waistband.

Thought this was too 'important' not to pass on. Have a wonderful day - with a joy filled heart. Always remember to laugh!! Helps the heart AND the wrinkles!!

p.p.s. Those same thieves come in my closet and shrink my clothes! How do they do it???

Memaw
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :heart: Hi everyone,
    It is great to read all the posts. I have been reading but not posting lately.:glasses: I have been patiently:grumble: waiting for a un-loader brace to help me recover from my knee surgery in December. I should get fixed up next week. I haven’t felt as motivated lately and I am finding it harder to stay away from bites of this and a little of that. I have managed to maintain my current weigh loss but not lose any more weight. :sad: :sad: I am ready to recommit to my eating program of no sugar, no processed foods or white flour and using the Isagenix products. This way of eating worked so well for me and I think I have been resting on my laurels:blushing: a bit as losing 26 pounds has me back in at comfortable weight and getting many compliments. I would really like to lose 20 more pounds and I am able to do some forms of exercise so I thought I would just say it out loud. It’s time to get fully committed to moving forward. It has been nice to maintain this weight and not move to far away from my healthy eating but that isn’t producing weight loss so I am going to be very firm and do what works. I really enjoyed losing the weight and am ready to finish big.:drinker: :drinker:
    We had a big quake 6.5 here last Saturday. I have lived in California all my life and been through many. I usually don’t flinch but this one was really big and really scary. I was in Costco. Not a good place to be during a earthquake. No one was hurt but everyone was shaken. There was a lot of damage to older buildings and our Mall but no injuries or loss of life. Then a few days later we learn of the horror of Haiti’s 7.0. My heart is breaking at the suffering and I pray that help comes to ease their suffering soon.
    Thank you all for continuing to be my source of inspiration and support. You are a great group of determined women.:heart::heart: :heart:
    Lianne
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Upped my mileage on my bike ride to 38 from 30 last week. My legs were shot at the end. I think I should have done 34-35 instead.

Went out to dinner at Macaroni Grill with my sister and her peeps. I have to say, I was not particularly impressed with the food. Or the waitress for that matter.

It was supposed to rain during our ride but it waited until this evening. Yeah! Except now it's supposed to rain from now until forever. I can't go on the Sat. bike ride next week anyway as I'm meeting people for lunch in the totally opposite direction. But I was hoping to get in a short ride closer to home before I headed out for luncheon.
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    P.S. Last year I thought someone had stolen my Boobs. I was lying in bed and they were gone! But when I jumped out of bed, I was relieved to see that they had
    just been hiding in my armpits as I slept. Now I keep them hidden in my waistband.

p.p.s. Those same thieves come in my closet and shrink my clothes! How do they do it???

Memaw

Barb, thanks for posting this funny story typed by Memaw.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who told me that one night she was feeling rather amorous and decided at bedtime to remove her pj's and lay on top of the bedding and wait for her husband who was in the bathroom about to come to bed.

She was lying there and adjusted her position on the pillow, making sure that she looked just right for when her husband would walk into the bedroom. She glanced down at her body and to her shock and horror discovered that her boobs were missing too. She found them, hiding under her armpits. She was so upset she quickly jumped out of bed, put her pj's back on and threw her self back into bed, under the covers.

When her husband finally came into the bedroom a short while later, he never knew what had just gone on with his wife. He got into bed and went to sleep.

The poor girl, she should have worn some pretty lingerie instead.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

A quick post as I've got to go & feed Granny.

Had a great birthday with my family. Yes, I did eat too much but remember it is just one day!

I've gotten 122 exercise calories out of the way already this morning and had a healthy breakfast so I'm back on track. I usually eat rolled oats with blueberries and walnuts. My Mom only had those little oatmeal packets at her house. It was so sweet I could hardly choke it down and had to add a few peanuts to make it swallowable. Next time I go over there I will pack my breakfast supplies.

The lost boobies story is hilarious!

Debbie: Hooray for for loss and great going not eating cake. Me, this week I'm hoping to maintain. Maybe one of these days I can learn to celebrate my BD with out cake but right now I did enjoy it.

I'll BBL

Cindy
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Hello, it's me again,

Well, after my morning coffee I decided to go make breakfast, take my shower and get on with my day.

On my way to the kitchen....I stopped.

That little voice in my head that usually says "mmmm, food, let's eat" was now saying "you know Deb, you could just quickly go for a 1/2 hour walk on the treadmill and THEN have something to eat. After all, weigh in day is just 6 days away."

I was quite startled by this voice that always leads me to temptation.

I decided that I did have time to quickly jump on the treadmill. It was still early and the house was still quiet. So off I went. I grabbed my i pod and starting walking. Well, funny thing happened while I was on the treadmill, I enjoyed the energetic music so much that I stayed (voluntarily) on the treadmill for 62 minutes (had to wait til the song finished on those last 2 minutes).

I checked my heart rate monitor (which I always wear) and realized with great excitement that I burned 382 calories.

Wow! Now I feel charged up and ready to go!

Hmmm, maybe if it's nice out this afternoon I'll go for a lovely winter walk outside.

Have a great day everyone!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Barb - I'm laughing too loud to read and post. Thank you. That was a scary true story told in an amusing way. I will have to catch up with everyone else's post later when I don't have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.

My story doesn't compare, but feel free to laugh or be sad.

Friday when I got home from work my Mom (91 years old) was waiting for me, telling me to come see her right away. I walked back where her and my Dad live. Mom was so happy. She tells me that a miracle happened. She can hear the TV and she didn't have her hearing aid in. She was sure it was a miracle and that God had given her back her hearing. It broke my heart to tell her that some how she had just accidently turned the TV up to FULL VOLUME. Her TV was so loud we could hear it all the way on the other side of our house and out into the garage. She took the news well, but I could tell from her face that she was greatly disappointed.

Football - My two teams won yesterday (Saints and Colts) and hubby's team plays today (Chargers). If his team wins then his team plays my team next week and it will not be a fun game to watch at our house. lol He gets so emotional over it. As long as it is a good game I'm fine with who ever wins in the long run.

Well, it looks like my taxi service is about to begin, so have a great day everyone,

Jeannie
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good Morning MFP friends. :smile:

:happy: Hubby and I had a wonderful evening at the Victoria Symphony last night ♫. Very enjoyable. It was a Christmas gift to ourselves. Going to concerts is a bit of tricky thing for us, because my husband is severely hearing impaired despite hearing aids in both ears. He used to be a musician and played in an orchestra when he was a youngster. The fact that he has lost so much of the world of sound makes me sad. :cry: Nonetheless, he loved it and we later reminisced about the various types of instruments.

Ordinarily we might have gone out for dinner beforehand. We had a healthy home-cooked meal at home instead and parked at my place of work. That gave us opportunity to put in a stiff 15 minute walk before and after the concert.

:heart: Have a great day! :heart:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    2 lb loss this week! (Nothing last week)

Love the boob story...can soooooooooooo relate!

Leanne - hang in there with the post-op. I can relate because I am recovering too!

Have a good week!:happy:
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    My story doesn't compare, but feel free to laugh or be sad.

Friday when I got home from work my Mom (91 years old) was waiting for me, telling me to come see her right away. I walked back where her and my Dad live. Mom was so happy. She tells me that a miracle happened. She can hear the TV and she didn't have her hearing aid in. She was sure it was a miracle and that God had given her back her hearing. It broke my heart to tell her that some how she had just accidently turned the TV up to FULL VOLUME. Her TV was so loud we could hear it all the way on the other side of our house and out into the garage. She took the news well, but I could tell from her face that she was greatly disappointed.

Oh how sweet... I do miss that overly-loud television. My Mom refused to wear her hearing aids and could not understand why no one wanted to sit with her and watch television. We could hear it just fine - out on the porch, upstairs, or out in the yard. Thank you for the sweet memory and grin.

Betty
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Four days of workouts this week and a 3 lb. loss! My challenge is to do it all again this week. How is everyone doing with their exercise programs? :drinker:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :laugh: I love it that we can laugh about our boobs.:laugh:

It looks like we are having great success with losing weight. Wonderful. I am stuck at 145 but with my new strength class (where the instructor is trying to kill us) I should see some loss.

How sad (and humorous) the stories about hearing lose and aids. I guess we will all have to face this eventually.