WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    :smile: Good Morning, I am sooo...glad this site is here. This weight is not going anywhere this time,I went to Doc. about my throid meds.he said keep it where it is, my hair is falling out and my energy level sucks. I used to be a tigger now I feel more like eeyore:sad: Thanks for listening!! Do we have a weigh-in date? I will be hopefully going on my first real vacation in my life in May. I am not sure where I want to go. I have always wanted to see St.Augustine. Blessings to all,

clwasmer- I'm assuming that you are hypothyroid, I am too.

You are saying that your hair is falling out and that you have low energy levels. That is definitely a concern. You do not mention in your post if your doctor has tested your thyroid levels or if he is just blowing you off and not taking you seriously. If your doctor has not tested your thyroid levels recently than you need to demand that your levels get checked. Something isn't quite right with some hormone level within you.

Google your symptoms and get as informed as you can and go back to your doctor. You need to advocate for yourself for the sake of your own health and well-being..

Also, are you making sure that you are taking your thyroid medication properly? It needs to be on an empty stomach 1 hour before taking the pill and NO calcium for at least 4 hours after taking your pill. If you are taking calcium within that window of time than the calcium is enveloping the thyroid pill and rendering it helpless to do its work. This will affect your thyroid levels.

Regardless, please make your doctor do a complete work up on you to determine why you are loosing hair and have low energy levels.

You also ask if we have a weigh-in day. We all have our own weigh-in day. Experts state that you should weigh yourself no more than once a week because of daily weight fluctuations. My personal weigh-in day is on saturday mornings.

Good luck with your health and your weight loss journey.
  • clwasmer
    clwasmer Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you Debbie, I was diagnosed with it 3 years ago. I went to my family Doc. a month ago and he said my levels came back normal and I need stress meds. I don't understand I have the same symptoms I had when I questioned my health 3 years ago.Do you have this to?
  • silverfoxie
    silverfoxie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well Barbie I believe this year is going to be the best year that I have had for a long time when it comes to losing weight and fitness. I have actually lost 8 lbs since New Years, but didn't start on MFP at that time. I am so pumped, and my daughter is also on this program with me, so this grandma is going to get in shape. Never too late I say. Thanks for the nice thread!!
  • clwasmer
    clwasmer Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks debbie for the suggestion of Google!! i love google but never thought of googling me LOL. i was diagnosed with pmdd years ago which I was on meds for. 6 years ago I had my uterus removed and thats all. i think alot of this could be I went off Meds cuz doc. didn't say and I assumed that I would not need them. so with the hypothyroid and pmdd no wonder i am a chunky and moody too. I am calling Doc. today. :bigsmile:
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Wow thanks debbie for the suggestion of Google!! i love google but never thought of googling me LOL. i was diagnosed with pmdd years ago which I was on meds for. 6 years ago I had my uterus removed and thats all. i think alot of this could be I went off Meds cuz doc. didn't say and I assumed that I would not need them. so with the hypothyroid and pmdd no wonder i am a chunky and moody too. I am calling Doc. today. :bigsmile:

clwasmer - so sorry to hear about your pmdd, that must have been awful to go through all of that. I hope that you have made a full recovery. I'm glad that you are calling your doctor today, good for you.

If you don't feel satisfied with your doctor, maybe you could ask for a 2nd opinion on your symptoms.

Also, I'm wondering if you should be referred to an ob/gyn for your pmdd as it is bio-chemical in nature and may or may not be somehow tied in with all of this still. Perhaps google this type of diagnosis to learn what (if any) dietary changes you may benefit from.

I am certainly not telling you what to do, I am only saying that the more informed you are about your own body the better you will be able to get on the right track for you.

Good luck, I wish you all the best. I hope to hear great news on your weight loss journey soon.
  • bjjmitchell1
    bjjmitchell1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 51 and feel pretty good. My goal is to finally lose this 20 pounds that just seems to hang around. My kids are grown now and I have to really make myself get up and do things like I use to. There is not as much running around as there was. My husband is a couch potatoe. I worry alot about his health. I hope that my working out and dieting will in time inspire him. I had always been rather small but the last 10 years I have gain about 2 pouds a year that I cant lose. In the past year I have also fractured my hip. BUT now the hip is healed and it is a new year. I have lost 3 pounds since joining and I am very motovaied. I go to the gym 5 times a week and learned this weedend that it takes 60 minutes for me on the bike to burn off 1 med fry! I wint be eating that again any time soon!

I want to run in the peachtree and did run my first 5k last year and placed third in my age group. I dint think being over 50 shoud mean that we need to sit around and watch everyone else. I plan to stay active amd live to 100. My Dad is 77 and he is very active and healthy. I hope to do the same.

Lots of luck to everyone!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Well I am happy to report that I maintained my weight during day weekend! so my goal this week is to actually lose a pound or maybe more, get all my exercise calories burned, drink all my water and enter all my foods accurately as possible.

I'm glad to see all the new people on here and hope they will get as much encouragement as I have gotten.

I hope everyone has a good week and without stress.

Off to fold clothes and put them away.

Cindy
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,506 Member
    Options
    Would you tell me about setting up your bike to ride indoors? Is a trainer a kind of stand? Can you use it with any bike? Used to love riding a bike, when we lived on the flats. Now that we're in the foothills, I just can't face pushing it UP at the end of a ride.

Am behind in reading everyone's posts, but sending warm hugs to all who are struggling with recovery from surgery, ailing pets and aging parents, sick relatives and friends. Found out last night my cousin has lung cancer and will have the upper lobe of his left lung removed on Thursday. He and his wife have great attitudes, but it is scary as he is already down to 40% lung function due to emphysema.

Yesterday was one of those days that in a former life I'd have just blown off, not recorded my food, not exercised, and probably quit again... but... miracle of miracles... despite working (from home) from 7am-5pm, not walking, AND eating home made spaghetti, mongo meatball, garlic bread and 2.5 glasses of wine, I made myself record food. While recording I decided I really didn't want to finish that 3rd glass of wine, and congratulated myself for eating only 1 piece of garlic bread instead of HALF THE LOAF. Was pooped so went to bed around 6 but set the alarm for 9. Woke up at 7:30 pm rested, energized and actually GOT OUT OF BED and played wii for over an hour! This is a FIRST. 18 straigt days of exercise no missing!

You all who keep calorie intake down to guidelines without counting exercise allowance amaze me. I can't do that now, but maybe someday...

Whoever said it was right Never Give UP!
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
    I feel like I'm a newbie here, not logging on in such a long time. Things are really busy still with my parents. We finally got them moved into their new home and they do love it. However, I am their caregiver that is for sure. If I did not help them we would really have to think of them getting into assisted living or worse. I have other siblings but all are working, I am not. My husband is now home with me and really has been a great help.

I am down in the dumps not really knowing what my life will be except care for my parents. I am going on doctors visits at least 2 times a week some times all day. My mom has diabetes and has bad toes that have to be care for daily and she is now legally blind. My dad has A-fibulation. (not sure if I spelt it right. :ohwell:) But, I would not have it any other way. My parents have always been there for me so I just have to be there for them.

Now the hard part, I have totally lost control, as I have done in the past, as you can see if you looked at my profile pictures. I’m not totally out of control but if I don’t stop now I will be. Last night I just cried in bed not knowing what to do. I feel terrible, I have no energy, and just feel lost in myself. I so want to be the girl I was last June, happy, healthy and funny. So, this morning, I decided to get back and start logging and counting my calories. I put my actual weight in and I am going to face the music. My husband is at this time doing all the house work so I can blog on here. He is a doll.

Yesterday, I went clothes shopping with my younger sister. She has always had total control with what she puts in her mouth. She encourages me to get back on track. I needed a new hide my body outfit for a valentines party. My brother hooked me up to design some posters for a local group that is now pretty popular in Nashville and Europe. I was invited to attended. Not really interested in people seeing how I just let myself go, but I have to go. I am back into size 16 and I was into 12's in June. I have been wearing comfy clothes for the last few months and pow I have exploded. Not happy about it but glad I did go shopping to shake me up. I felt so sad looking at all the great outfits I could have been in. However, I’m in, you know, the kind of clothes that hide all the fat. (I'm sorry if I sound like I'm all over the place but I just have to blog and get it out.) if I read and reread what I have typed I will never get it out.:ohwell:

Well, I'm back, I just want to say that for all who have struggled with life and lost themselves, we can get back. I know this site is the best place. I have listened to other sites advertise on TV but this is the best. We just have to use ALL the tools. Counting calories and daily exercise, is the way to go. I'm so glad I have this network of friends. So many have sent me messages of encouragement and I thank you all.

Lots and lots of (((((HUGS))))).
    Kathy
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Greetings all...and happy Monday:love:

I had a very challenging week last week. Did good on exercise but too much eating out, too many get-togethers with friends involving wine, and too much left over holiday popcorn (which I sunk to finishing off). BUT, I exercised every day:bigsmile: , made great choices at the restaurant and exercised wonderful self-control 50% :ohwell: of the time, and maintained my other "good for me" practices. Lost two-tenths of a pound, which considering the week of challenges I faced (something going Tuesday through Saturday!!) really wasn't too bad.

Kathy, glad to see you back. I can totally relate to the being in the dumps thing. Being caregivers for loved ones while completely an act of love, is also very challenging and stressful. Hang in there. This website and these ladies are wonderful, and much like another program...keep coming back, it works if you work it, and you're WORTH it!

I confess to doing a drive-by post...really haven't caught up on all the posts, but will try to do so later.

Great day everyone!! :heart: Teri
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Good morning all-
    It's a beautiful day here in the northeast and I got a step workout done already so I'm in a good mood. I've quickly skimmed some of the recent posts and just wanted to say my heart goes out to everyone caring for the the elderly. I admit I am dreading it. I may be almost 56, but I still feel like the kid and my brain just doens't accept the reality that it won't always be like this.

Anyway, on a brighter note, welcome back Kathy!!! :flowerforyou: I am so happy to hear from you. I, too, just came back to mfp about a week ago. I am going to visit my parents in Florida in 2 weeks and don't know how I'm going to fit into the clothes I wore a few months ago. I just have to stick w/the healthier and better lifestyle. My wish for you Kathy is to stay with us and with your goals. We are all here together. You have our best wishes and support.
    Zaza
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Just logged in my lunch. Salad. Wow I can't remember the last time I ate a salad and scanned this site. So nice to have the time.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and caring. I sure need it during this time. MFP is the greatest.

:heart: :heart: :heart: Kathy
  • FitnessOver50
    Options
    For anyone who is interested in improving their fitness levels in 2010, start by doing the following;

1/ Walk 30 minutes a day. Each day.

2/ Reduce the amount of processed foods that you eat. Replace the processed food with more natural foods. This really means that you will have to spend a little more time in the kitchen making meals from stratch. No more frozen dinners, etc.

Will be surprised at the difference.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Oh Kathy, my heart goes out to you. I have been where you are. I had both of my in-laws to care for in their last days. I have also let myself go in the past. I, at one time, went from 194 to 139. After my divorce I went back up to 174. I am at 145 now and seem to be stuck. So, you see, I lost control and gained back but am able to lose again. And so can you. You just stick here with us and we will encourage you. I know that you will be logging in. You will be fine.:flowerforyou: By-the-way, I missed you.:heart:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It’s Martin Luther King Day and I am at work. I salute Dr. King and his faith and leadership!
    Even though I am at work, it is a little slow. I think everyone thinks we’re closed.:wink:

This weekend was a little bit sloppy. Someone gave us this huge bowl of broccoli salad which I though would be harmless. But when I ate some, I realized there was some sweet dressing in it as well as raisins and walnuts. I didn’t measure and kept eating more. It was addicting! I probably went over my calories by a few hundred. NOT GOOD.:angry:

Then Sunday I exercise (300 calories) ate a very clean breakfast and small lunch and then went out to eat at an Italian restaurant! The antipasto was loaded with all kinds of fattening things and there wasn’t much on the menu that was up my alley. So I did the best I could. I ordered a seafood pasta dish, which had very little cheese and a very light sauce, scallops, shrimp and squid. I ate all but about a ½ cup of the linguini and skipped the bread and appetizer. I did have 2 light beers though.
    So today I need to be squeaky clean. I exercised and will be very disciplined, and I hope it doesn’t affect my weight too much.:ohwell:

On another note….I am sickened by what’s going on in Haiti! :cry: I went on a missionary trip there in the late 80’s and have a special place in my heart for those beautiful people! :love: We came back from the mission trip and raised money to build a school in a town called Marigot, just south of Port Au Prince, which was not destroyed by the earthquake. But so much suffering and tragedy! :sad: :sad: I hope all, who believe in the power of prayer, which I do, will join me in praying for them to have strength and courage during these unbelievably trying days ahead of them!:brokenheart:

BirdieM:heart:
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    On another note….I am sickened by what’s going on in Haiti! :cry: I went on a missionary trip there in the late 80’s and have a special place in my heart for those beautiful people! :love: We came back from the mission trip and raised money to build a school in a town called Marigot, just south of Port Au Prince, which was not destroyed by the earthquake. But so much suffering and tragedy! :sad: :sad: I hope all, who believe in the power of prayer, which I do, will join me in praying for them to have strength and courage during these unbelievably trying days ahead of them!:brokenheart:

BirdieM:heart:

I know, it is heart-wrenching and I wish there was something I could do to help... if I was in a profession (Doctor, nurse, fireman... etc) I would be there to help. I can only pray for them. So I'm there in prayer with you and others.

Betty
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Kathy - Your post touched me. I'm so glad you felt that this was a safe place to blog and get things out. It's the first step. Sounds like you have wonderful support from your husband. And it sounds like you are a talented lady! A lot of us have been where you're at at one time or another and you CAN change things. You're in the right place! Hang in there and make it happen. I'll be praying for you.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    Well Kenneth and I spent 80 min at the gym and I burned 1000 calories. I did all my weights yesterday so today I just did a cardio circuit. I could beat myself up for all the days I skipped, but am back on track now so that is good. Welcome new ladies. those of you with loses keep up the good work. Those of you who have backtracked just get back on board. We all have that fear lurking in the back of our minds that we will do the same thing. By logging on and getting back on board you may just help someone else avoid that. talk to you later ladies.
    Vicki M
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Reading the post and so very happy to be back. I am touch by all the support here, but I'm not surprised this site has so much of it.

My prayers also go for the people in Haiti.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    ❤️