Ghosts/spirits/unexplainable happenings??

Options

Replies

• reinventingandrea
    Options
    I have witnessed a possessed person and that was scary when I was young. A girl next door (our neighbor and family) got very sick and depressed. She was a sweet grl and very soft spoken. She started seeing visions of things and even claimed she saw Mary, the mother of Jesus. She wanted to be a nun as well...but anyways one day my grandma and her mother decided they take her to a priest(excorcist I guess) since she was having a lot of spiritual and physical problems so my grandma brings her to my room and she gave her my bed and the priest came started praying..me and my friend where outside listening to what was going on and the grls voice changed. The soft spoken girl was having this deep scary voice and the priest (Orthodox Christian) was praying and asking the demon(s) inside of her questions like how they got in there and to let her go....it went on for hours but the "voice" from the grl where like noo we won't let her go until we kill her..she's ours. The priest kept on ordering at sometime the priest called us kids and told us to pray the Lords prayer....we were inside praying and were like freaked out at the reaction of the grl, just like the movie the excorcist, except she didn't turn her head like that lol...just the screaming and ppl were holding her down. Anyways I think the priest gave up after long hours and went home...she went home still the same. The mother was told to take her to a church (where it is known that ppl possessed get delivered in a regular Sunday service) but it was a non orthodox church so the mother refused (no she didn't want her family and neighbors to think she became Protestant...it was a big deal where I was from) anyways three years later..the poor grl passed away. That was over 10 yrs ago But the memory stuck with me for the longest...

OMG that gave me chills! I'm so fascinated with this type of thing though.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I hear that ghosts and such are actually explained by the existence of a certain type of soundwave called 'infrasound' that is just below the range of sound that a human ear can hear. The research I've seen shows that infrasound waves can affect a person's vestibular system and produce feelings of fear and anxiety. At a range of 18.98 hertz, it can cause an eyeball to resonate, which might produce the sensation that someone is seeing floating apparitions or ghosts.

This is a nice article that sums it up well and links to some other research - http://www.skepdic.com/infrasound.html
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I have witnessed a possessed person and that was scary when I was young. A girl next door (our neighbor and family) got very sick and depressed. She was a sweet grl and very soft spoken. She started seeing visions of things and even claimed she saw Mary, the mother of Jesus. She wanted to be a nun as well...but anyways one day my grandma and her mother decided they take her to a priest(excorcist I guess) since she was having a lot of spiritual and physical problems so my grandma brings her to my room and she gave her my bed and the priest came started praying..me and my friend where outside listening to what was going on and the grls voice changed. The soft spoken girl was having this deep scary voice and the priest (Orthodox Christian) was praying and asking the demon(s) inside of her questions like how they got in there and to let her go....it went on for hours but the "voice" from the grl where like noo we won't let her go until we kill her..she's ours. The priest kept on ordering at sometime the priest called us kids and told us to pray the Lords prayer....we were inside praying and were like freaked out at the reaction of the grl, just like the movie the excorcist, except she didn't turn her head like that lol...just the screaming and ppl were holding her down. Anyways I think the priest gave up after long hours and went home...she went home still the same. The mother was told to take her to a church (where it is known that ppl possessed get delivered in a regular Sunday service) but it was a non orthodox church so the mother refused (no she didn't want her family and neighbors to think she became Protestant...it was a big deal where I was from) anyways three years later..the poor grl passed away. That was over 10 yrs ago But the memory stuck with me for the longest...

uh.. why didn't they "de-possess" her in her OWN bed? :noway:
  • smantha32
    Options
    We have a spirit that lives here at my house. This was my grandparents house so I've known about her for about 28 years now. (I was 12 the first time I saw her) She hides things, especially shoes. No joking, I had a cute pair of sandals that I didn't get to wear this past summer because they were no where to be found. Thanksgiving morning, what do I find just barely sticking out from under the bed? My sandals! I must have looked 100 times under my bed for those shoes. She doesn't scare me at all but I wish she'd leave my shoes alone.

can you ask her to leave your stuff alone? I've heard ghosts will stop their shenanigans if you ask them to stop. :smile:
  • smantha32
    Options
    I hear that ghosts and such are actually explained by the existence of a certain type of soundwave called 'infrasound' that is just below the range of sound that a human ear can hear. The research I've seen shows that infrasound waves can affect a person's vestibular system and produce feelings of fear and anxiety. At a range of 18.98 hertz, it can cause an eyeball to resonate, which might produce the sensation that someone is seeing floating apparitions or ghosts.

This is a nice article that sums it up well and links to some other research - http://www.skepdic.com/infrasound.html

I don't know if i agree.. I've seen several ghosts, and it never makes me feel fearful. Just curious and fascinated.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Theres ghosts at my parents house. And I swear when I was about 12 I saw him. I was going downstairs to get something and when I turned the corner on the stairs, I saw a boy walking up them. I freaked out, ran back up the stairs and I looked over the railing and he was gone. When I was really young I used to say there was a young boy there, I named him the Castle Boy, it kinda freaked my parents out the way I would talk about him. Id be curious to look up their house history and see if anyone died in the house. As a kid I used to have weird feelings or thoughts, sometimes dreams even, of someone dead in the walls in the basement, later I found out there was needles found stuck in the walls down there when my parents were renovating the place. Makes me wonder if someone OD'd there, and thats why I got that feeling.

My aunt was really into ghosts too so she would come over and we'd do Ouija Board with us haha, it was fun.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

I don't know if i agree.. I've seen several ghosts, and it never makes me feel fearful. Just curious and fascinated.

If the theory is correct, maybe you just respond to that sort of stimulation in a different way than others. For me, in the case of ghosts and the paranormal, I go with the principle that the simplest explanation as likely being the correct one. Doesn't mean I'm right, but it makes the best sense to me.
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options

If the theory is correct, maybe you just respond to that sort of stimulation in a different way than others. For me, in the case of ghosts and the paranormal, I go with the principle that the simplest explanation as likely being the correct one. Doesn't mean I'm right, but it makes the best sense to me.

Sounds very plausible to me, but how does it explain things you feel and hear, but not see? Just curious. I think you are right. In most cases, the most obvious answer is the most likely answer. My experience had nothing to do with seeing, but feeling something.
  • forasmallerass
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options

Sounds very plausible to me, but how does it explain things you feel and hear, but not see? Just curious. I think you are right. In most cases, the most obvious answer is the most likely answer. My experience had nothing to do with seeing, but feeling something.

Some people believe ghosts are beings in another dimension that intertwines with ours, but exist with a frequency that we cannot interpret. But at times of heightened sense our minds are able to shift slightly into noticing that frequency.
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When I was working at a Horse Agistment Center with my brother we use to reside in this onsite cottage. Very old, had been burnt down a few times. In the cottage the two bedroms were on either side of the bathroom. So one night after work, we went to bed and around 1:30am, I woke up to the sound of the bathroom door slamming shut. Then the light and fan going on, following by the shower curtain and then by the water going. I thought nothing strange about it except for why my brother would be having a midnight shower. Then the shower curtain went crazy, sliding back and forth until the water stopped and the lights went out.

The next morning when my brother and I were having brekky, he asked me if I had a shower at 1:30ish that night. I said to him, " I thought it was you." He then told me that he had a dream of something coming into his room and he and "it" having a massive fight then it running into the bathroom and running the shower and trying to tear the shower curtain down.

I then said, "well there's the answer,"

We both looked at each other and continued to eat our brekky.
  • cindl24
    Options
    When I was working at a Horse Agistment Center with my brother we use to reside in this onsite cottage. Very old, had been burnt down a few times. In the cottage the two bedroms were on either side of the bathroom. So one night after work, we went to bed and around 1:30am, I woke up to the sound of the bathroom door slamming shut. Then the light and fan going on, following by the shower curtain and then by the water going. I thought nothing strange about it except for why my brother would be having a midnight shower. Then the shower curtain went crazy, sliding back and forth until the water stopped and the lights went out.

The next morning when my brother and I were having brekky, he asked me if I had a shower at 1:30ish that night. I said to him, " I thought it was you." He then told me that he had a dream of something coming into his room and he and "it" having a massive fight then it running into the bathroom and running the shower and trying to tear the shower curtain down.

I then said, "well there's the answer,"

We both looked at each other and continued to eat our brekky.

Freaky, but very cool story. Oh and I love the use of the word "brekky." LOL
  • Perfectly_Unperfect
    Options
    Ohhh I got another one..... This one is scary

My mother told me when she was young, every night in her room as soon as the lights go out she hears a screeching sound by her window, like something scratching the window with a long nail. That is how it starts...After that she hears someone writing something and then tearing the paper and throwing on the floor...she hears it for long periods of time. She told her mom (my grandma) but she didn't really believe her at first...thought it was just a dream or something. Well my mom asked her sisters to sleep with her and they all heard it. But one particular time, it started as usual with the window scratches and the writing and tearing..but the thing came up to my mom and tried to literally choke her and she was fighting it. She said she felt the hair on his hand as she was struggling with it/him. In the morning she was all scratched up physically that you couldn't say that was a dream....eventually my grandma believed and have the whole house prayed on and blessed and it haven't happened afterwards.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I watched something on netflix called "the scole experiments". It was pretty interesting. Basically, there were a group of people doing these ghost experiments for 5 years. This is the website: http://www.thescoleexperiment.com/
    Not sure if this stuff is true or not, but it is interesting, and check out the documentary if you get a chance.
  • cindl24
    Options
    I watched something on netflix called "the scole experiments". It was pretty interesting. Basically, there were a group of people doing these ghost experiments for 5 years. This is the website: http://www.thescoleexperiment.com/
    Not sure if this stuff is true or not, but it is interesting, and check out the documentary if you get a chance.

I saw that too. It was very interesting. I like the approach they took with the experiment, but you always have to take that kind of stuff with a grain of salt.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I saw that too. It was very interesting. I like the approach they took with the experiment, but you always have to take that kind of stuff with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I agree. I think that as people we really want to hope that there's something after this life, because the other alternative is somewhat depressing.
  • smantha32
    Options

I don't think that article is "the simplest explanation". It sounds like someone has gone to great lengths to scientifically explain something because they don't like the simple explanation.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I haven't looked at this article but I have given this topic a lot of thought - as well as other topics about unexplainable things...
    I look at it this way - either we have a soul or we don't.
    If we don't then all the stories of any sort of afterlife are bologna and when we die we are dead and that's the end of it.
    If we have a soul, then the soul is either eternal or it's not.
    If the soul is not eternal then when we die we're dead and that's the end of it.
    If the soul is eternal then the possibilities are endless, and what is unexplainable to us in this world/life is only unexplainable because we are limited in our thinking and current form.
    If the soul is eternal, why would we only live one life for 70-90 years? Or die in the womb and never even be born?
    If the soul is eternal, where else can it go besides here (earth)?

I choose to believe that the soul is eternal. I believe this because it justifies my belief in God, the universe, the good and the bad in the world, the possibility of life on other planets, UFO's, ghosts, angels, Satan, reincarnation, miracles, and powers of the mind. So go ahead and call me a wack-job. The alternative is to not believe in any of these things, including my own soul and that seems like a waste to me. A faithless waste.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    i think ghosts run away from me,
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I won't tell location, I don't want to scare off potential clientele. lol The daycare I work at is haunted. Nothing bad has happened just little harmless things. One day as I was talking to a parent at the door of my classroom. I heard a loud thud/crash, I jumped at the noise, turned and looked and the clock had fell off the wall. The thing is the clock is high on the all about 6 ft up and it didn't fall straight down it landed 2/3rd the way across the room as if it had been thrown. Also the gate at the top of the stairs leading down to the basement classrooms has been known to open and close on it's own. The basement doors like to open or shut on their own. One night I was closing and I pulled every door shut before going upstairs. Then I remember I left my drink downstairs and I went down to get it and all the doors I just shut were open. Also one day a preschooler, a 4 year old girl, had asked my director who the lady was that came and played with them was? That day we had no visitors and my director told this to the girl, but she swore up and down a woman had came and played with her in the classroom. Also in the morning sometimes it sounds like there is a ball bouncing, before any kids are even dropped off. There has been a few time the stove has turned on or off by itself. Finally on night at a staff meeting the topic of the center being haunted came up, and we were talking about the ghost, then the radio turned on to white noise, on a station that should have came in clear playing music. My boss checked it and it was still set on the off position spitting out white noise. So then my boss totally creeped out unplugged it from the outlet, and it still played white noise for a minute or so before stopping.

P.S. I did an investigation at the daycare to find proof of the ghost here is a short video of the findings

http://youtu.be/W5krjpmFiZc

Pretty scary huh?