Is it rude to go to a restaurant and not eat?

Options
My wife and I had a big disagreement this weekend, and I wanted to know what you all thought... It was my daughters birthday on Saturday, so we made a fun day of it. We took her shopping, went out to lunch, took her and a friend to a movie, and then she wanted to go to a Japanese hibachi restaurant for dinner. Having had a late lunch, and some popcorn at the movie, I wasn't hungry, so when we got to the restaurant, I mentioned to my wife that I wasn't going to order anything.

When the waitress came around to take our orders, the I told her that I wasn't going to eat, the kids ordered, and then my wife, giving me a dirty look, said she wasn't going to eat either. As we were sitting on opposite sides of the kids, several texts later, I found out that my wife thought that I was being incredibly rude, and that it "made people uncomfortable" if I went out to eat and didn't order.

Personally, I didn't see the problem. I wanted to be able to enjoy seeing my daughter have her birthday dinner, and wasn't hungry. My wife told me that I should have ordered something small and just taken most of it home. Not only don't I agree with that in principle, but at this place there isn't really something small that you can order. Plus if I ordered it and didn't eat, wouldn't that make the people at the table and the cook and servers uncomfortable?

Please give me your opinions. Especially since I'm dieting, why in the world would I eat if I wasn't hungry?

Thanks!

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Well, people usually go to restaurants to eat, so it would appear a bit weird to go to a restaurant and not eat.

However, you and your wife sat there and angrily texted each other over something so petty? Awkward for your daughter. And not a fun day at all.
  • TarynK11
    Options
    Yes. What you did was Super rude. Sorry!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Your wife didn't order, either, and she was angry with you for not ordering? Huh?

Anyway, I've done it and no one cared. Under certain circumstances, it happens. It isn't unusual.

It's rude to bring food from another restaurant and eat it, though.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Rude and it looked cheap. Could you and your wife not have split a salad and poked at it?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I work at a restaurant, and we quite often have people come in but not eat. They will even sit in the floor part of the restaurant to drink beer instead of sitting at the bar (which I think is weird, but not rude). It's quite common, especially for larger parties, to have a person or two who is there for the conversation and not the food.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    it's not comfortable, could of at least ordered soup.
  • pshearer7777
    pshearer7777 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with it. I don't understand why your wife didn't order, though. I've gone to restaurants plenty of times and not been hungry (but went for the "social aspect") and only ordered drinks. My friends have done the same thing from time to time. If you still tip well, then how is it rude, I doubt the server cares.
  • lizardcave
    lizardcave Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In those situations, I usually say "I'm not really hungry. I'll just have a soda."
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was rude at all..I mean you were doing this for your daughter! It would of been different if it was just you and your wife and you didn't order, but it wasn't like that at all! Sorry, not rude at all to me!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is, it makes you look like a weirdo.

Look, I like to keep my intake in some kind of range that I see as 'optimal' but I see that the occasional dietary diversion isn't going to do me harm.

Don't Be The Weirdo. ;)
  • macattack99
    Options
    Yes. What you did was Super rude. Sorry!!

I disagree completely there is 100 reasons why you don't have to eat at a restaurant! You daughter love Japanese and you took her there because she loves it but you could hate it there's no reason in the world to order and pay for something you hate! That's like saying if you go to a bar you have to drink.... my 2 cents
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think that she was being rude!
    WTH why does it matter, do people not go to establishments and just order coffee and such?
    Wow, what a thing to get all mad abt!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If I were in that situation I would have ordered iced tea or a diet soda and maybe a side salad or fruit cup or something.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have gone to a restaurant and not eaten before, and have had other people do it to me as well. I am at that restaurant for the pleasure of enjoying the other person's company. If I'm hungry, I'll eat. If I'm not, I won't. It's not all about "me"....although judging by some of these responses, NOT eating WOULD make it about "me".

I would tell the person ahead of time that I didn't plan on eating, though. I think honest communication is important. I'm strange that way.

Having been a waitress before, I was never creeped out or uncomfortable if someone wasn't eating at one of my tables. After all, the experience is supposed to be about THEM.

To each their own, I suppose.

Your wife really had no leg to stand on...wasn't she being just as rude by not ordering, either?
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely rude. At least order a salad, or at a Japanese restaurant, order a bowl of edamamme and pick at it for a while. Pretend.
    On the other hand, your wife was also incredibly rude to also not order simply because you didn't, and then text at the dinner table. Wow, the rudeness is overwhelming.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think your wife has issues. She probably felt like if she ate and you didn't, that would make her look like a pig.

I've been a server and you don't need to worry about making them uncomfortable by what you eat or don't eat. They don't care.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    When it's a family going out for an occasion it seems kinda rude, but if it's a regular occurance to go to restaurants then no, I don't think it's rude. Every Sunday, after church, my kids and I meet my mom and grandma at some restaurant for lunch. Yesterday they picked Famous Dave's barbeque and ordered "The Feast" (some large garbage can lid piled with ribs, brisket, and other greasy/carb laden food). They love that stuff, my kids love that stuff, but I count calories and can't love that stuff. So, while I didn't want to feel ackward, I didn't eat their greasy meats. Instead, I had a small helping of beans, red skin mashed potatoes and an ear of corn. They still fussed about me barely eating anything but at least I humored them and ate something to be part of their family lunch.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Your wife didn't order, either, and she was angry with you for not ordering? Huh?

Anyway, I've done it and no one cared. Under certain circumstances, it happens. It isn't unusual.

It's rude to bring food from another restaurant and eat it, though.

Was your wife ticked because you made her look bad, given that she also had a late lunch etc?

I'd be pretty impressed at your self control. People at your table did order. Be nice to the waitstaff and tip as if everyone had ordered - they likely had as much work - and move on.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Not rude! Kids were eating and you were along. I'd order a soda and drink that and enjoy my child's bday. Servers don't care. Now if it was me and one other person I'd order something because I'd feel uncomfortable eating in front of someone that was not but if the kiddos were enjoying their meal no worries. Ordering something to take home or "poke" at is a waste of money
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Unless you look like you might be sick at any minute, it is incredibly rude to go to a restaurant and not eat.
    Looks really cheap too.
    In some restaurants you will be sent away if you don't order anything, even if your friends do have something.

Just order something small next time, like a small salad or soup.