Is it rude to go to a restaurant and not eat?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They are a business, and if you are sitting in a chair and not eating, you are costing them money. So it's not a nice thing to do to the restaurant. If you are in a big group it is not as bad, but with only three people and two adults not eating, that's kind of rude.

Oh please. And what if there are many, many empty chairs available in the restaurant?

I understand this argument ONLY if the restaurant is packed with little available seating but if there is tons of open space you aren't stealing business from the restaurant.

Why should anyone be exempted from the celebration just because they aren't hungry?

Lol, you haven't worked in a restaurant, have you.

So, if four people come in and sit at a table for four (tables for three are rare) and three of them eat, but one doesn't, that one person is costing the restaurant money? What restaurant forces a table of three to sit with some random stranger just to use up a chair???

It wasn't one ;) It was two... and kids generally cost less. Lol, many restaurants WON'T say something, because they want good feedback. It's the servers who make $2 off of tips for the hour/hour and a half that two kids ate there that get upset.

Your comment sounds like you're not even understand the argument many people are making, or understand how restaurants work o_O

You're right. It's not like I was ever a waitress or bartender or as if my best friend has worked in the food industry for the past 16 years or as if my boyfriend ever worked as an actual restaurant manager or anything.

What do I know?
  • rml_16
    Options
    So, if four people come in and sit at a table for four (tables for three are rare) and three of them eat, but one doesn't, that one person is costing the restaurant money? What restaurant forces a table of three to sit with some random stranger just to use up a chair???

Stop speaking logic! That one chair is costing the restaurant SO MUCH MONEY! And the waitress? She would NEVER have to come to the table if that one person was ordering. *rolls eyes* Stop being ridiculous.

I know. I often forget where I am.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No way it's not rude. I have gone out with my friends sometimes and not eaten. It's not like no one ate. The kids ate. The thing is though, when I do it, I tip the server as if I ate. There is no need to stiff the staff when you take up space that could be used by a paying customer.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    They are a business, and if you are sitting in a chair and not eating, you are costing them money. So it's not a nice thing to do to the restaurant. If you are in a big group it is not as bad, but with only three people and two adults not eating, that's kind of rude.

Oh please. And what if there are many, many empty chairs available in the restaurant?

I understand this argument ONLY if the restaurant is packed with little available seating but if there is tons of open space you aren't stealing business from the restaurant.

Why should anyone be exempted from the celebration just because they aren't hungry?

Stop speaking logic! That one chair is costing the restaurant SO MUCH MONEY! And the waitress? She would NEVER have to come to the table if that one person was ordering. *rolls eyes* Stop being ridiculous.

Are you guys serious? You're making an argument that doesn't make sense. No one's saying the ****ing chair costs money. Servers make their money off of tips--tips that are determined by amount of food ordered AND quality of service. If a server is rude to you, by all means don't tip. However, if you order NOTHING, do you leave a tip?

They're not costing the restaurant managers, owners, etc., money... they are costing the servers who do the majority of the work in the place money because they make their money off of tips. Where are you missing the translation here?

You people are the horror stories.
  • rml_16
    Options

Are you guys serious? You're making an argument that doesn't make sense. No one's saying the ****ing chair costs money. Servers make their money off of tips--tips that are determined by amount of food ordered AND quality of service. If a server is rude to you, by all means don't tip. However, if you order NOTHING, do you leave a tip?

They're not costing the restaurant managers, owners, etc., money... they are costing the servers who do the majority of the work in the place money because they make their money off of tips money. Where are you missing the translation here?

So ... you're saying the server would get a bigger tip if three people came in and all ordered than if four people came in and only three ordered?

Gotcha.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

They're not costing the restaurant managers, owners, etc., money... they are costing the servers who do the majority of the work in the place money because they make their money off of tips money. Where are you missing the translation here?

Wait. If there was no one in that chair in the first place the waitresses tips would be no different because the chair would be empty... so how are we a horror story? You lack all logic.

Furthermore, where I live no one tips waitresses. Tipping doesn't exist here so your argument is moot to me anyway. Our servers are paid enough that they don't need tipping to survive ($13-14 an hour).

Now, with tipping removed from the equation is it STILL rude to fill that empty chair with a person who is there to enjoy the company of their family and friends? Hm?
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't know about not going to a restaurant and not eating is rude or not, but fighting on your daughter's birthday and texting at the table in front of everyone is EXTREMELY rude. Your daughter probably realized what you two were doing and that probably ruined the day for her. You really ought to apologize to her and make up for ruining what should've been a fun experience.
  • strawberryvixen
    Options
    You shouldn't be made to feel like you had to eat if you weren't hungry. The fact that your wife didn't order any food for herself doesn't make her any less rude than you -- using her logic -- and kind of spiteful if you ask me. I digress...

I've been in that situation before, and I usually just order a drink and offer to share a plate with someone who actually is hungry - or I explain to the server that I'm not that hungry, and ask if they can recommend a small plate (appetizer, soup, or an off-menu item), they often offer to bring me something small a la carte.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If my husband wasn't hungry, he wouldn't have even gone. I would have personally just ordered a drink... or asked my husband to split something. It's not that big of a deal, but I think it's worse to send angry texts back and forth.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses so maybe this has been addressed...why didn't your wife order anything?? I don't get why she felt she shouldn't eat also. That's pretty weird. Overall I don't think you were rude, but I would have ordered a drink or something small to nibble on.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This was your first post, you have no pictures, no profile.... is this a fake profile because your wife is on MFP too? LOL.

May as well get your couch all set up! ;)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Going with a group and not ordering anything, not rude.

Spending the evening texting back and forth with a person at the table, incredibly rude.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Lol, do you know what a "straw man" argument is? Perhaps you should acquaint yourself: http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

I'm fairly certain this doesn't apply.

We were discussing ANY situation where one doesn't order. Not just the OP's specific situation. That's where the divide is happening.

You don't know if the OP tipped or not so you can't say he was wasting space for the server. FYI. If he tipped would you then say he wasn't being a waste of space?
  • happypath101
    Options
    I go out to a restaurants to meet people all the time. I don't always eat. I do, however, almost always order something to drink. I love tea. So, for me it's usually a pot of tea that I'll order if I'm not eating. I also used to be a waitress and I saw this all the time. It never bothered me as a waitress and I never heard anyone in management be upset by it either. (The other people might not be there ordering what they're having if you weren't also there. This is especially true of your situation where you've brought your kids in.)

The only time I think it's rude (or not being fair to the restaurant) is if no-one at the table is eating. As long as someone's ordering food, it's fine for anyone else in the party to not eat.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It's not your job to make sure everyone else in the resaurant is comfortable. It's rude for someone else to try and push food on me when I don't want to eat. If it's just me and one other person i'd rather not go out to eat than be the only one eating but if we're in a group and a person or two don't want to eat then I'm glad they came just for the company
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think that she was being rude!
    WTH why does it matter, do people not go to establishments and just order coffee and such?
    Wow, what a thing to get all mad abt!

This.

Your wife seems a little irritable and stubborn if she didn't order just because you didn't (I hope I read that correctly).
    Don't sweat the small stuff ;) As long as you weren't uncomfortable going to a restaurant and not ordering - that's all that matters :)
    Cheers!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I have done it when meeting friends there and I have already had lunch. I will usually come a little later and order coffee, or if I am there at the same time I will order a small side salad.
    I worked in waitressing, and it never bothered me unless it was a table of non-diners that were holding a table when it was busy.

People have restrictive diets and there is not always the right type of food served in a restaurant that was chosen by a big group.
    I am celiac and was dragged along to a italian restaurant. There was nothing on the menu except maybe a modified ceasar salad.
    So I enjoyed a glass of wine.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Wait. If there was no one in that chair in the first place the waitresses tips would be no different because the chair would be empty... so how are we a horror story? You lack all logic.

Furthermore, where I live no one tips waitresses. Tipping doesn't exist here so your argument is moot to me anyway. Our servers are paid enough that they don't need tipping to survive ($13-14 an hour).

Now, with tipping removed from the equation is it STILL rude to fill that empty chair with a person who is there to enjoy the company of their family and friends? Hm?

Where do you live that servers make $13-14? ...And you still wouldn't tip anyway? Even though they are "serving" you.

I guess I'm wondering where this 3/4 equation's coming from (*cough* Straw Man *cough*).

Two kids ate a restaurant. Two adults did not. Four seats were filled, where two adults would have ordered food that cost more, beverages that cost more, and portions that cost more.

Every server will tell you: oh, table with kid under 13? They will need more serving because of cup sizes, they will be messier, they will eat and drink things that cost less. They require more service for less cost benefit.

On top of that, there are adults. They are not eating. They are angry--publicly so. Not only are they not ordering anything (since we have no proof from OP that they even ordered drinks), they will be upset when they leave. Do you think they tipped more when they left? Do you really think a hungry, irate mom and a peeved dad tipped well, let alone tipped well on service they received (from water, busing, etc.) for the things they didn't order?

But, since you said the whole tipping thing is "moot" to you, you're kind of committing another fallacy, aren't you? You're arguing something you... don't even understand the context of, nor care to understand the context of?

Yeah, please look up the definition of logic ;)
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    In those situations, I usually say "I'm not really hungry. I'll just have a soda."

This would be my response as well
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options

They're not costing the restaurant managers, owners, etc., money... they are costing the servers who do the majority of the work in the place money because they make their money off of tips. Where are you missing the translation here?

Nah. Waitstaff with idiotic mentalities like this are the horror stories. Maybe if you applied yourself to something, you wouldn't be living off of tips at places where people with real jobs go to eat for celebratory meals. Now, don't think I haven't been waitstaff. It's VERY typically one of the milestones on the road to restaurant management... which actually is a real job. But the kind of thinking you're employing, is the sort of thing that would keep you waitstaff forever, while someone else makes management. Get that chip off your shoulder, thinking you deserve to be paid a lot to smile and move a few plates, and you might go places. If the actual skilled people in a restaurant weren't so busy most of the time, they wouldn't need you AT ALL. Think about that when you're sneering over whether a guy ordered while his kids were eating or not.