MyFitnessPal Newbie says: Rum & Diet Coke? Gimme A Break!!

Options

Replies

• smokinjackd
    Options
    OMG, behead the infidels. Sacrilege, you should only use Coke Classic, or is that now just coke??? Well as long as its not Pepsi then we are all good.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OMG, behead the infidels. Sacrilege, you should only use Coke Classic, or is that now just coke??? Well as long as its not Pepsi then we are all good.

I think it was only Coke Classic when New Coke was around. That's gone now, so it's just "Coke."

I think.

I don't really know.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I use diet coke so I can log it as water. Can't do that if I use regular coke.

Dunno if you were trying to be humorous or not...so if you were, ignore the rest of this.

But, you shouldn't log Diet Coke as water, it does have other things in it, like caffeine and sodium, so it's not the same as drinking water...in fact just the opposite: it tends to dehydrate you. That's worth keeping track of, IMO.

Wrong.

I'm not the OP, but coke does indeed contain caffeine. Not as much as tea or coffee but its there. I believe the sodium is very low.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I use diet coke so I can log it as water. Can't do that if I use regular coke.

Dunno if you were trying to be humorous or not...so if you were, ignore the rest of this.

But, you shouldn't log Diet Coke as water, it does have other things in it, like caffeine and sodium, so it's not the same as drinking water...in fact just the opposite: it tends to dehydrate you. That's worth keeping track of, IMO.

Wrong.

I'm not the OP, but coke does indeed contain caffeine. Not as much as tea or coffee but its there. I believe the sodium is very low.

Yes, it does. That is not the part that is wrong. Caffeine is not dehydrating enough to negate the hydration of the water used to make the soda.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    dafuq are you going on about?

that's what I was wondering. Lol huh?
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    First of all..COKE at ALL, YULK!!!! I use Pepsi products when I can. BUT, I have to say, I prefer DIET as well. For one, it DOES save on calories and sugar...hench can drink one or 2 more to equal what you save from drink DIET vs REGULAR! ALSO, I PERSONALLY think that DIET soda brings out the taste of the alcohol a bit more then regular does...the extra sugar in Regular kinda blocks a bit of the alcohol flavor.

JUST MY OPINION!!!

AND...I dont like regular soda, only Diet so, I am going to drink Diet, Thank You! :)
  • dosmundos
    Options
    OMG. So your Friends have to only eat or drink what you consider acceptable? What other specifications do you have?
    Clothes they wear? Nationality? Place they live?.........
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    lol...some of us are trying to watch our carbs, too (diabetes, anyone?).
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Why bother with the coke at all :drinker:

^ THIS.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi I just joined the site a couple days ago and looking for people to befriend. I am stunned that anybody actually bothered to make a Rum & Diet Coke and frankly i have a hard time believing it. You're kidding, right? If you use Diet Coke in your Rum & Cokes, maybe we shouldn't be friends. Finally I found a serving of Bacardi Light with Classic Coke and the recipe is like 6oz of Coke and a 1oz shot of rum. Are you serious? I don' t drink that often but when I do it's a special occasion and I'm not going to ruin a perfectly good celebration with a tiny little shot of rum in some Diet Coke. And then hurry up and come post it online. LOL!! This is so tragic to me. So if you are able to diet without going over the top with ridiculous things like that, PLEASE add me so I can post cute little snarky status updates about it, and get your feedback!! kThx .....
    First world problems. GAL
  • samantha8jean
    samantha8jean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Rum and diet Pepsi helps to keep you staying sexy !! I haven't had a non diet soda in over a year, so why would I use it in a mixed drink? Drinking is just gonna rack up those calories regardless, but I'd want them to stay as low as possible.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Some people prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular Coke. I, for one, think regular Coke tastes nasty. Diet coke has a better taste, so I would drink Diet Coke. It isn't about the cals.

Exactly. Even as a crazy college student who lived in what was known as "the Bacardi room" if I mixed it I mixed it with Diet Coke.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Mmmkay...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Because it's just absurd. Drinking is not supposed to be healthy, and it doesn't exactly taste good to begin with either so why make it worse with a diet soda? And since when is carbonated synthetic chemicals any healthier because it includes fake, instead of real, processed sugar? I hate to tell you this but either one can be used to fry the acid off your car battery cables. So it's just ridiculous that I type in "Rum & Coke" to the search feature and get this big list of all these drinks with Diet Coke and have to totally scroll down to get the real thing. Like you have to be kidding me. THAT MANY PEOPLE have ruined a perfectly good drink in desperation to get thin? Gimme a break!! Who drinks that often, anyway?!?!
    The Cuba Light (Rum with Diet Coke, as opposed to the Cuba Libre, which is regular Coke) has been around for decades. It's not an MFP invention. And if drinking isn't supposed to be healthy, I guess that letting you know that alcohol is actually good for cholesterol management and helps regulate blood sugar, will probably ruin your day... And that's not even getting into the antioxidant benefits in various wines and spirits.

Also, if it "doesn't exactly taste good to begin with," you're doing it wrong.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Mate if THAT bothers you, you are going to have a bad time on the internet.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Fact is diet coke is worse for you than regular coke. Since diet Coke has aspartame in it and its a chemical you body has no idea how to digest it so it stays in your system. Your body knows how to get rid of sugar.

You do know there is more aspertame in a chicken breast then there is in a can of diet coke. So quit eating chicken breast too.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I was actually trying to log a rum and coke today and it took me forever to find it without diet coke. >_<

If you like diet coke, that is your thing. I'm one to cut calories where I can. I'm just surprised that rum and diet coke is in there 15-20 times before rum with regular coke.

This is why you log your rum then you log your coke. Separately. It's impossible to find ANY mixed drink that is the same.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    ]
    Also, if it "doesn't exactly taste good to begin with," you're doing it wrong.

That too.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I drink to get drunk....