Does everyone hate their job this much?

Options

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    A recent survey showed that approximately 50% of recent college graduates are getting jobs that only require high school education, so they could have skipped college and worked for four years making money instead of spending it.

Another survey showed that a college graduate will make about 100,000 dollars more in their lifetime than a high school graduate. However, many colleges cost over 100,000 for four years to get the degree so you have already lost ground at that point let alone the lost earnings due to sitting in class for four years.

A large legal firm in the building where I work has been hiring attorneys on a contract only basis for research. They have no staff positions available and there is a glut of attorneys graduating from school and passing the bar. They pay these people to sit all day doing research and we see them in the building from 5 am to 11 pm and often they are in 7 days a week -- I'm told that if an attorney is hired they can expect to receive a salary of about $50,000/yr. without any real chance of increases.

My point being that if you really want to go into something that requires college then go for it even if you have to start your own company to create a position for yourself, but many people are spending a lot of time and money and not getting results that would make that time and money worth it.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So you've had this job for 9 months?

No, over a year.

So less than two. Two years doing a "boring" job has you crying in the bathroom? :indifferent:

I worked somewhere for 3 months and I was crying in the bathroom I hated it that much. It was boring the people were terrible I used to dread going in on a daily basis to the point I made myself physically ill with the stress of going there. I did also have a stalking psychopath of an ex bf after me but either way It's not healthy to be in that sort of environment and people just don't understand work place stress.

I agree that it is the economy I graduated last year with a pointless degree (psychology I can't work in it until I get an MA and I need experience to get an MA which I cant get without experience?!) 3 of my fellow graduates getting a 2:1 (good degree) one works in a care home, one works in a petrol station and the other works in PC World.

So unless you do what I did and get signed off on sickness (which might go against you in the future) theres not a lot else you can do, are you applying for jobs within your education level, I applied for a call centre but they basically said I'm over qualified, would get bored and they gave it to someone else make sure your applying for jobs at your level or slightly above. Could you do another intern ship? Possible go back to study and get better qualifications to do something which isn't boring or stressful?

Good luck in whatever you do though :)
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the hating your job part.. I love my job.

however, if anything is causing you that much stress, you either A) need better stress management or B) a new job, or C) get over it.

side note: I'm struggling to see how you spent so much time getting a degree that when put to use is causing you this much stress.. unless of course you're not actually using your degree.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I really don't get this... what did you graduate in with all those awards that only makes you eligible for a secretary position?

B.A. in English/Creative Writing & Business with a certificate in Management.

ETA: Awards ranged from leadership awards to research awards.

OOOOHHhhhh. Ok. Makes sense. No offense. So what were you planning to do with your degree once you graduated? Writer, English teacher?
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like you're used to being a special little snow flake for being the best at everything and what bothers you that you're not getting that recognition anymore.

Part of having a job and moving up within a company is paying your dues and showing some character in the process. That means sometimes you have to put up with the less desirable duties and not whine about it. You haven't been at this job long -- if you don't like it -- keep looking but don't complain because there are at least 700 people who WANT your job and wouldn't whine about not getting promotions within their first year.

Also, yes: LOTS OF PEOPLE HATE THEIR JOBS.

:drinker: high five...took the words right outta my mouth.
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    700 positions??
    What sorts of jobs are they?
    I think you need to focus on a specific job, not send out so many cv's and use some of the follow up techniques they write about on life hacker.

Perhaps move area?

Threaten to quit?

Quit, and move area.

Sounds like you need to change something, and sharpish

This.
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and hated every job I had prior to the one I have now (at current job for over a year) but I powered thu. It's all about learning experience and using each job as stepping stone. Keep doing what you're doing and plugging away. It will get better, trust me.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I really don't get this... what did you graduate in with all those awards that only makes you eligible for a secretary position?

OOOOHHhhhh. Ok. Makes sense. No offense. So what were you planning to do with your degree once you graduated? Writer, English teacher?

I love when everyone thinks English is a bull**** major. I know several who are making six figures. I've applied to anything from account management to marketing communications.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Someone sounds a bit entitled.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    sorry but i don't think most people who replied to your post understands where you're coming from. i am trying to refrain from saying anything bad about them but seriously.. wtf. you probably have more skills and talent than most of them. i WILL NOT be waiting 10-15 years for a promotion. it might take some time to find what you like, but if you haven't found it, keep looking.

nobody should blame the economy. i understand it makes it hard but it just means you try harder. if you're trying too hard, you're not doing the right thing. you have to be smart about it too.

i understand the frustrations of being busy but bored and incredibly stressed. you're underemployed and you need something more challenging.

i also think you need to relax a bit. you are burning out. i added you in case you would like a friend!
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like you're used to being a special little snow flake for being the best at everything and what bothers you that you're not getting that recognition anymore.

Part of having a job and moving up within a company is paying your dues and showing some character in the process. That means sometimes you have to put up with the less desirable duties and not whine about it. You haven't been at this job long -- if you don't like it -- keep looking but don't complain because there are at least 700 people who WANT your job and wouldn't whine about not getting promotions within their first year.

Also, yes: LOTS OF PEOPLE HATE THEIR JOBS.

:drinker: high five...took the words right outta my mouth.

Sorry, I don't think I'm a special little snowflake. I was harrassed by professors during college for not being good enough. I've been told my entire life I'm not good enough. I was nowhere near "recognized" during college. I got some awards and busted my *kitten* for my grades but most people hated me because I'm quiet and they see that as stuck up.

Also, can you read? I'm not whining about not getting a promotion. I'm saying I hate my job and it's causing physical stress. I've gotten raises since I've been here. That has nothing to do with it you. Go read a book!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I love when everyone thinks English is a bull**** major. I know several who are making six figures. I've applied to anything from account management to marketing communications.

So then why aren't you applying to those jobs that your friends are making 6 figs at?? And it doesn't surprise me that you aren't going to get a job as an account manager or something in marketing when you have an English degree.

I'm not saying it's a bullsh*t major, I'm just saying good luck in this economy. So you didn't answer the question though, are you wanting to be an English Teacher or a writer or an editor or what???

Maybe you should just go back to school for a teaching certificate or something. Substitute teach while you're in college and then go find a job at a school.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    While I feel for you, if being bored at your job is the worst problem, stop being so dramatic and realize it could be a lot worse. I understand that it isn't what you want to do, you feel bored and unfulfilled, but just keep reaching for the dream in the meantime. You can do it, but it will take time. So many people out of school now can't even get jobs, and many of the ones with jobs aren't in their field.

It took me almost three years out of school to get a graphic design position because all of the jobs started disappearing when I graduated due to the economy. I worked as a telemarketer to pay the bills and people yelled at me on the phone all day. I cried every night before I had to go to work. But at least I had a job, and I didn't quit until there was another way for me to make income.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    As much as I dislike them, try a recruiter. Free for you and they work to find you a job so they make some $$. Maybe your resume needs sprucing up - that's something an agency can help you with - making you appear more marketable. They also can help with interview skills. I interview quite a few people - 1st step is they better look good on paper. 2nd is to find out if the person on paper is real and 3rd is personality. Good luck.
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    So then why aren't you applying to those jobs that your friends are making 6 figs at?? I'm not saying it's a bullsh*t major, I'm just saying good luck in this economy. So you didn't answer the question though, are you wanting to be an English Teacher or a writer or an editor or what???

Maybe you should just go back to school for a teaching certificate or something. Substitute teach while you're in college and then go find a job at a school.

Those 6 figure jobs are the ones I hope to be getting in 30 years, not now. They require much more experience than I have now. I'm just saying that it's not a hopeless major where the most I'll ever make is 35k.

I want to work in marketing, which is where all my experience is at. My current job is in advertising and marketing but obviously not in the kind of position I'd like.

I have no interest in teaching and don't want to go back to school for something I already know I don't want to do. :/
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I agree with this statement.

However one think that popped out to me was when you mentioned you are not a "peoples person" Im sorry but for most positions out there you need this unless you are enclosed in a room filling out pappers..... No but seriously this is a very important thing to have. I myself have assisted my boss in interviewing and hiring of our staff and let me tell you they can have the book smarts but if they cant deal with people its over and we are stuck behind computers for most of our work time figure that one out.
    Someone sounds a bit entitled.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    sign of the times.....thats why I was happy taking over the family business when given the opportunity.....everybody loves a Pawn Shop! lol well...except the ones who think their $1000 HDTV is worth at least $975 to pawn it and walk out mad when I tell them I will loan them $300 on it. :laugh:

Yes...I love my job...one of the lucky ones! Plus it gives me time to goof off on MFP and other sites during slow periods. :)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Been there. I had a master's degree and was working in retail. Mini panic attacks, anxiety, crying, feeling trapped... Done all of it.
    When you get home every day, get online and start looking for jobs. Spend more times on smaller sites and less on the big sites. Career Builder and Monster are flooded and you get lost in the crowd. I got my job from Craigslist. If you're looking you'll at least feel like you're doing something to get out of your current position.
    Go to Barnes & Noble or Amazon and pick up The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. It helped me quite a bit. It teaches you how to deal with panic attacks and anxiety.
    If your health plan covers it, go to a therapist. That's another thing that helped me.
    When you have a slow period at work, ask if anyone needs help with anything. It will give you something to do and show the higher ups that you're ready for a challenge.
    I've been there. I've been in my new job for almost 2 years now. It's a great feeling to go to work and not dread every second.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have to say that working is a love/hate relationship. Probably over 80 % of people hate or dislike their job because its not really want they want to do...or better yet it doesnt make them happy. I dont know what type of field you are in but I used to work at a recruiting office and what I saw most of the time was frustrated college graduates because they could not get positions they wanted or get positions at all. There are alot who are going through what you feel I am sure of it. It is unfortunate but in this world it is sometimes not about the skills you have learned but who you know....also tenure or experiance in a position. I do not have a bachelors degree, just a lousy associates but I worked my way from the bottom to here... Its a supervising position and is alot of work and at times stressful.

Hang in there... Dont let work suck you into a paranoid and stressful state. Things I try to do is keep work at work...I dont bring it home, dont stress about deadlines when im not at the office and forget all work things related as soon as I walk out of the office. That and hitting the gym regularly to blow off steam works for me.

Good luck my friend you will get through this.... :)
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    BA in English? No wonder....What was your endgame plan? Because it's probably going to take more schooling. To teach you're going to need an M.A, for creative writing an MFA. Editorial job? Experience probably doing exactly the mind numbing thing that you are doing now. But you're being intentionally vague for who knows what reason. I say that from experience because I started as an English major but then was like: WTF am I going to do with a degree in English? Then got a useless degree in psych LOL
This discussion has been closed.