Replies

• _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    It's called real life.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    So then why aren't you applying to those jobs that your friends are making 6 figs at?? I'm not saying it's a bullsh*t major, I'm just saying good luck in this economy. So you didn't answer the question though, are you wanting to be an English Teacher or a writer or an editor or what???

Maybe you should just go back to school for a teaching certificate or something. Substitute teach while you're in college and then go find a job at a school.

Those 6 figure jobs are the ones I hope to be getting in 30 years, not now. They require much more experience than I have now. I'm just saying that it's not a hopeless major where the most I'll ever make is 35k.

I want to work in marketing, which is where all my experience is at. My current job is in advertising and marketing but obviously not in the kind of position I'd like.

I have no interest in teaching and don't want to go back to school for something I already know I don't want to do. :/

Well 6 figures is a lot of money.... but when it takes you 30 years to get there then it's really not. I could be making that in less than 10 in my current job if I stay here.

I guess if you don't want to teach but you want to do marketing then it looks like you should've gotten a marketing degree, not an English degree.

But anyway, i agree with other people on here. If that's all that's wrong in your life, praise God cause it could be a lot worse. I understand hating your job. I've cried in the bathroom because of my job before too. It's a culture shock to come out of college and into the real world and realize how different it can be. Just make sure you fill your free time with friends, family, and hobbies you enjoy. And in the mean time find a job that you would like better, even if it's a job that most people would consider meanlingless. Maybe since your'e on MFP it means you're into fitness. Study and become a certified personal trainer then get a job doing that. It has the potential for some good cash.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Should have drank more in college.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im madly in lust with my job.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the encouraging folks offering help.

To those who say I sound like I feel entitled...well yeah, maybe a little. But I also know I have this one life and I'm not going to live it hating 80% of my existence. If that's entitlement, I'm glad!
  • drthipah
    Options
    Sweetie, I think you need to move to a better area where you can find a job. I had the same thing and now I have a job that I'm never bored at, but it took me years to get and build my resume to get where I am now. I was a secretary at 2-3 jobs, so hang in there, but seriously think about moving. Oh and ignore all these people who aren't nice, they have nothing better to do but pick on people on here.
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    BA in English? No wonder....What was your endgame plan? Because it's probably going to take more schooling. To teach you're going to need an M.A, for creative writing an MFA. Editorial job? Experience probably doing exactly the mind numbing thing that you are doing now. But you're being intentionally vague for who knows what reason. I say that from experience because I started as an English major but then was like: WTF am I going to do with a degree in English? Then got a useless degree in psych LOL

Writer, teacher and editor aren't the only jobs for English majors. Many work in advertising and marketing and business and anything else you can think of.

Also, is a business degree not worth anything to you guys? Everyone's focusing on the English.

How am I being intentionally vague??
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    nope! I love my position in the Body of Christ!!!!
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    unfortunately good ol xanex has been the only thing keeping myself from crying in the bathroom everyday at work! that being said---most people don't want to take the benzo-train---but know that it is typical and just keep applying and eventually you'll find something better and more suited to your education, honey! sorry my news isn't more uplifting, but if everything sucks, everything can only get better;)

<3<3n-
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    Well 6 figures is a lot of money.... but when it takes you 30 years to get there then it's really not. I could be making that in less than 10 in my current job if I stay here.

I guess if you don't want to teach but you want to do marketing then it looks like you should've gotten a marketing degree, not an English degree.

But anyway, i agree with other people on here. If that's all that's wrong in your life, praise God cause it could be a lot worse. I understand hating your job. I've cried in the bathroom because of my job before too. It's a culture shock to come out of college and into the real world and realize how different it can be. Just make sure you fill your free time with friends, family, and hobbies you enjoy. And in the mean time find a job that you would like better, even if it's a job that most people would consider meanlingless. Maybe since your'e on MFP it means you're into fitness. Study and become a certified personal trainer then get a job doing that. It has the potential for some good cash.

Most folks I know in marketing look for English degrees, not marketing ones. Same with the advertising folks I've spoken to.

I will be happy to make 40k one day.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, No. It really isn't that bad. I have a great job. Its kinda boring sometimes but I will take boring compared to high-stress any day. Its flexible. And it pays well.

I would tell you to find another job but it sounds like you are doing everything you can to find one. As for working in management...I used to be like you. Motivated and wanting to climb the ladder. And then I did. And I was stressed out and hated it and felt a lot like you feel right now. But keep working until you get there. However, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

And it does sound like you need to find a way to relax at least until you do land your dream job. Try some St. John's Wort and some meditation. You would be surprised at how well it works.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you want to be good at marketing and get out of your "shell" since you're quiet, why not take a sales position. They're not hard to find and you'll probably learn more about marketing along the way.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    This is life. We make choices. They affect other choices leading to more choices.

All we can do is choose wisely. Otherwise, suck it up, Nancy!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I see that you received a BA in English. Unfortunately, you may have a difficult time finding a position you enjoy.

I have colleagues and friends with an MSc or PhD (or both) in Chemistry or Physics who could not find a position for a year. It is a difficult job market, and the fact that you found paid work within three months is rare.

Returning to school for postgraduate work may make you more appealing to potential employers. (Journalism perhaps?) If you do not want to go back to school, it may take awhile before you land your ideal job.
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Im madly in lust with my job.

i'm madly in lust with yr sexy azz! lol <3<3n-
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear that the economy is in the toilet and any job is a good job but -:ohwell:

I generally enjoy my job, but at the moment I love it. Why? Because it has slowed down a bit work wise just lately, which allows me to go down to our gym and lift most days

If your company has a gym or there is one close to where you work, see if you can make arrangements to get out of the office and go workout - I get in at 9, put in a hour and deal with anything urgent, by 10 I'm down in the gym by the time I have worked out and showered etc it's almost lunchtime half my day is done. Also if you are working an 9-10 hours day (I think that what you put) and it's a total mindnumb, see if you can reduce your hours.

Ultimately though, you are overqualified for the work you are doing, and that is not going to change. I don't know your personal circumstances, but if it was me, I wouldn't stay where I wasn't happy especially if it is making you stress and have panic attacks! WTF! If you can afford to leave - do it. Don't just walk, but see if you can reduce your hours and use the additional time to keep applying for jobs in a field you really want to work in. Don't settle if you don't have to!
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    If you want to be good at marketing and get out of your "shell" since you're quiet, why not take a sales position. They're not hard to find and you'll probably learn more about marketing along the way.

I may try that. That's one I haven't applied for.

I just love when people turn against the introverts of the world. Most research points to introverts being the best for companies.
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    I should also point out this isn't my first full time job. I mean, it's my first "real world" job straight out of college, but I've worked full time at other places before and loved it. So it's not really the shock of the real world that's getting to me.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    BA in English? No wonder....What was your endgame plan? Because it's probably going to take more schooling. To teach you're going to need an M.A, for creative writing an MFA. Editorial job? Experience probably doing exactly the mind numbing thing that you are doing now. But you're being intentionally vague for who knows what reason. I say that from experience because I started as an English major but then was like: WTF am I going to do with a degree in English? Then got a useless degree in psych LOL

Writer, teacher and editor aren't the only jobs for English majors. Many work in advertising and marketing and business and anything else you can think of.

Also, is a business degree not worth anything to you guys? Everyone's focusing on the English.

How am I being intentionally vague??

You said "certificiate in business management". That just means you took some classes on the side and earned a useless sheet of paper in addition to your degree. ListenI'm not trying to be mean and I'm sorry if I come out harsh. I really am trying to help but I don't always use the softest language and I apologize.

I used to be a vocational consultant (a very good one) and I have a bit more realism as to what counts where. You want to do marketing you get an MBA or a degree in either public relations or marketing to start. English major to marketing is a bit of an occupational stretch but it is doable. But you must get experience in marketing NOW. The wave of the future in marketing is social media. Learn to advertise through all the social media sites and even creating apps because this is the future of marketing. It sucks but it will take time and sadly, more education. Whether that education comes through schooling or through crap jobs or volunteerships, it has to come from somewhere. I do want to be helpful, so feel free to friend me and message me if you like. I would love to help do a vocational profile with you and find ways to steer you in the right direction where you are.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    it doesn't sound like work is your problem. transitioning to another position is not going to solve what you're going through right now. you may temporarily feel better, but unti you get to the root cause of your issues, you're never going to be happy no matter what you're doing.

and on that note, 700 applications is called "flooding the market". don't do that.

and in closing... go out and get drunk for crying out loud. maybe you just need to get off the grid for an extended weekend. you are wound incredibly tight.
This discussion has been closed.