Does everyone hate their job this much?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    College is not real life. In the real world, it's just different. You have to prove that you're worth it before they'll pay you for it. And, you have to prove it over and over and over, not just one great project, but many with a track record of awesomeness.

But, if your record is as great as you say, why are you a secretary. i don't have anything against secretaries, i don't mean it that way. But, how did you wind up in that position if you're such a rock star? Just curious, it's not a smart-@$$ question, but a serious one.

Also, you might want to consider self-employment. For many self-starters, and people that are super motivated, that's the way to go. There's no one in your way. You can make yourself as successful as you want to be.
  • horndave
    Options
    Welcome to life. Keep applying to jobs that interest you and be prepared to work up. You expected a management position within a year of starting at this job? You are not entitled to a management position just because you have a degree. You will have to deal with life as a lot of people know it. Find something that makes you happy, but it is going to take time and work to get there.

Deal with stress better. Find something that you like to do. Yes, there are things that are relatively inexpensive.

Last thing, everyone is entitled to make life as happy as they can for themselves, some people accept degrees of crap for other rewards.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *munches on my salad*

I'm so very glad I'm old and will never say I only partied twice in College.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    BA in English? No wonder....What was your endgame plan? Because it's probably going to take more schooling. To teach you're going to need an M.A, for creative writing an MFA. Editorial job? Experience probably doing exactly the mind numbing thing that you are doing now. But you're being intentionally vague for who knows what reason. I say that from experience because I started as an English major but then was like: WTF am I going to do with a degree in English? Then got a useless degree in psych LOL

Writer, teacher and editor aren't the only jobs for English majors. Many work in advertising and marketing and business and anything else you can think of.

Also, is a business degree not worth anything to you guys? Everyone's focusing on the English.

How am I being intentionally vague??

You said "certificiate in business management". That just means you took some classes on the side and earned a useless sheet of paper in addition to your degree. ListenI'm not trying to be mean and I'm sorry if I come out harsh. I really am trying to help but I don't always use the softest language and I apologize.

I used to be a vocational consultant (a very good one) and I have a bit more realism as to what counts where. You want to do marketing you get an MBA or a degree in either public relations or marketing to start. English major to marketing is a bit of an occupational stretch but it is doable. But you must get experience in marketing NOW. The wave of the future in marketing is social media. Learn to advertise through all the social media sites and even creating apps because this is the future of marketing. It sucks but it will take time and sadly, more education. Whether that education comes through schooling or through crap jobs or volunteerships, it has to come from somewhere. I do want to be helpful, so feel free to friend me and message me if you like. I would love to help do a vocational profile with you and find ways to steer you in the right direction where you are.

I said I got a BA in English/Creative Writing and Business!

And the folks who work in this Fortune 400 marketing place don't have MAs so I don't feel the need to get one (nor do I have the funds). I've also done an internship in social media (think...redo an entire business and their social media strategy), so I know the stuff.
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    Welcome to life. Keep applying to jobs that interest you and be prepared to work up. You expected a management position within a year of starting at this job? You are not entitled to a management position just because you have a degree.

Never said I expected a management position! I appled at Wendy's to be crew!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Someone give me a job! Been made redundant since April. Fed up is not even the word anymore, especially since I've been in short term/part time/temp jobs since I was 18

OP: Have you thought of having a career change or starting your own business? I hated my jobs, but it's never gotten to the point where I would cry in the bathroom.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I spent 6+ years working administrative jobs before I landed a job I abso-freaking-lutely love. Some of them were boring, other ones were just terrible. You're not going to be able to move up in a company in one year.

Six years.

Be patient. Keep looking. Look out of state. In the meantime, make a decision to come to work happy. Be a bright spot for the office -- your choice of attitude can make a huge difference-- and remember that work is just work, and it will always be just work.

Also... if being bored makes you cry and gives you panic attacks, I'd look into counseling and anxiety medication. (I'm not trying to be snarky-- just honest. I have anxiety medication for acute attacks).
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    But, if your record is as great as you say, why are you a secretary. i don't have anything against secretaries, i don't mean it that way. But, how did you wind up in that position if you're such a rock star? Just curious, it's not a smart-@$$ question, but a serious one.

I'm not so much a rockstar, but I honestly believe I should be in the top...35-40% of grads looking for jobs based on my experience.

I also know several rockstars who graduated with me...are much better than me...and cannot find any decent positions.
  • _granola
    Options
    Get some help with your resume and interviewing skills. Obviously I don’t know you, but 700 jobs is a lot, and that leads me to believe there is something you could be doing better on paper and in person, especially if after all this time you might be appearing desperate during interviews. I get that this is extremely frustrating, but I feel like if you are so negative about it, it will come off in interviews. Are you following up reasonably with some of these places? It’s ok to send a short email to HR and ask about the status of the position and if your resume has been reviewed.

My first job out of college I was laid off after almost a year there, so I was on unemployment and applying to about 100 jobs a week. This was during 2008, when the economy was probably at about its worst. I was even applying for entry level administrative assistant positions, and when I would ask about the position and my resume, I would hear things like, “Well, we’ve received over 400 applications/resumes, so we’ll let you know if you are chosen for an interview.” Out of that many applicants, there is no way someone is going to choose a recent college graduate with not even a year of work experience outside of college. It’s tough out there, and you need to be proactive, positive, and sell yourself as the winner without appearing desperate, and there are a lot of resources out there to help with this, you just have to search online and ask around for help. Four years out of college now, I am making more than the average person with my degree is (and more than the average woman my age is) and I have invaluable experience that will take me through my Master’s degree and on to doing something I truly love. You will get there. Be patient and keep working for it.
  • shezzamess
    Options
    I am an avid Dave Ramsey listener, so I'm going to recommend the 2 books that he always recommends when people call in to him to talk about their financial situation.

48 Days to The Work You Love by Dan Miller
    Quitter by Jon Acuff

You can get them at the local library, his website www.daveramsey.com or Amazon. Amazing reads!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Join a martial arts or boxing gym.

Life is much better when you get to punch, kick and throw people around on a regular basis!

And, keep on looking for a new job. In addition review your education vs what jobs are available. You might need some alternate classes to compete in the market place.

Also, Just because you worked hard through university does not guarantee a job. And, many entry level jobs are no better than apprenticeships. The reality of the world is that once in the work place, your school grades mean nothing! You will need to perform and fight to advance just like everyone else.

The other option is to look into a business you could start and run yourself.

Best of luck!
  • Andie_loops
    Options
    I worked my way through college at a bbq place... i was a restaurant supervisor (i started as a cashier) i hated this job though, i sucked it up to pay for school once i gratuated i thought abt quitting and sent out resumes did a couple of interviews but got nothing. the VP and CEO of the company noticed my work ethics and that i was a hardworker and moved me to their catering offices, i'm in charge of the financials/accounting for this office i love this its not the best job in the world and soon i will be moving on the bigger and better things. Things are tough in this day with this economy. I'm sorry you are feeling so horribly, my advice is keep putting out resumes and doing interviews it'll get easier and hopefully you find a job that is more challenging in no time.

good luck!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    *munches on my salad*

it would probably be more accurate for me to say that when i partied for 5 years, i also went to school, did some homework and held down a full time job.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hey there! A couple of suggestions...

Since you've had other full time positions and enjoyed them, I would suggest getting out ASAP. Since you're tight on money, this is (most likely) going to require you to get a new job before you can ditch your current one. My best advice to you is to keep looking, even if that means potentially taking a job where you would have to move. (Also, not sure where you are in the US but certain areas are a lot more affordable than other areas.)

Also, as for the stress, I would really recommend seeing a counselor.

Best of luck!!
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to report that I have been doing what I do for 20 years, am also educated and work in a man's world. I have clawed myself to my middle management position and have all of the bumps, bruises and concussions to prove it. I have earned and proudly wear/disply every one of them. It does not get easier, I deal with it medically. Prozac or whatever helps. Exercise is nice too. Sex is great. Drinking is wonders too. It's called life, it sounds jaded, but none of it is easy; you just have to learn to take the good with the bad and dust yourself off and make the most of your private life. I hope you can.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    A. learn to deal with stress better. I would recommend looking into mindfulness and/or doing yoga.

B. Find a relaxing hobby, that can get your mind off work and fuel you for your work days.

C. If you really hate your job too much, try to start your own business. This can be done while still working. It will take up a lot of your time, but I think you will find that being able to do what YOU want compensates for the stress of your "day-job".

This

I finished paid employment 4 weeks ago setting up on my own. It was tough doing both jobs, but worth it.
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hey, this may not be the type of answer your looking for, but do you think you might be depressed? I just seems like a boring job usually doesn't bring about panic attacks and crying. And I'm not being judgmental: I've been there with the depression. Sometimes it may seem like the circumstances are the problem, but it could be an actual health issue. Maybe you could try talking to your doctor about it. Just a thought. I wish you the best in finding something that makes you really happy. :)
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's a tough world out there. I don't know if it's an entitlement thing ( I sometimes wonder that about myself! I think I have a mid-life crisis every other day about what I should be doing with my life.) Most of the time the answer isn't clear! I sometimes feel betrayed that our generation was told "You can do whatever you want! Follow your dreams!" because it gave us an unrealistic view of what was possible in the real world. And liberal arts colleges tend to feed on that and get you out the door without any guidance on how your degree can be used in businesses.

I don't have an answer for ya really, but all I know is if a job is giving you a physical reaction, which sounds like a physical stress reaction, you need to find a way out. Something isn't right, and your body knows it, and is trying to escape the situation. I don't think it's one of those "you have a bad attitude" sort of situations. At the same time, don't just take the next job that comes along. Try to figure out what about your current job makes you so unhappy, and then try to find a place where those things are minimized or don't exist.

It could be too that you aren't meant for the "Daily grind" or maybe need a less traditional job, like a work-from-home situation?

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *munches on my salad*

it would probably be more accurate for me to say that when i partied for 5 years, i also went to school, did some homework and held down a full time job.

Look... we have something in common! :drinker:
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I'm not so much a rockstar, but I honestly believe I should be in the top...35-40% of grads looking for jobs based on my experience.

I also know several rockstars who graduated with me...are much better than me...and cannot find any decent positions.

i really don't mean to be rude, but have you been living under a rock for the last 5 years?

its a fact that new grads are having a tough time in the current job market. look for a new job, but suck it up and be happy you have one while you look. stop crying in the bathroom, put on a better attitude, and be a little grateful. even if its a simple "clerical" job, i'm sure there are a lot of people that would die for the job. obviously keep looking for a position that better fits your goals, but you aren't going to get anywhere if you're going to get THIS shaken up about your current job. employers will see right through your immaturity.
This discussion has been closed.