A Happy Marriage = Wife in the Kitchen

Options
MassiveDelta
MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/9572187/Couples-who-share-the-housework-are-more-likely-to-divorce-study-finds.html
Couples who share the housework are more likely to divorce, study finds
Divorce rates are far higher among “modern” couples who share the housework than in those where the woman does the lion’s share of the chores, a Norwegian study has found. In what appears to be a slap in the face for gender equality, the report found the divorce rate among couples who shared housework equally was around 50 per cent higher than among those where the woman did most of the work.

Discuss

Replies

• PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It's believable. I'm okay with doing a bigger portion of the housework. Only because I don't currently work a job outside of the home. If I worked full time and had to come home and do everything by myself, I'd be so pissed off.
  • hellnokitty
    hellnokitty Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always think these statistics are silly- people who, for cultural or religious reasons, believe that women are supposed to subservient baby machines/house maids for the men in their lives probably also have religious and cultural objections to divorce.

Mystery solved.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Hunh.

I always try to help out. I'm never comfortable if my partner is doing something in the kitchen/around the house and I'm not.

At the same time I've never been married.

Looks like I should stay on the couch...
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Thats BS.
    If hubby wants me to have energy for him when the sun goes down, he better help.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I thought it went something like "if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman you wife"
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's believable. I'm okay with doing a bigger portion of the housework. Only because I don't currently work a job outside of the home. If I worked full time and had to come home and do everything by myself, I'd be so pissed off.

I agree with this statement!
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i guess ill go in the kitchen i just cant promise you i wont burn down the house
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but my last relationship was built like this, and I just ended up resenting him for not pitching in equally and wanting to spend time with me in the kitchen - and I love to cook, so that was never an issue.

But, to each their own...the next one will actually WANT to help me and be my sous-chef ;)
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    zombiedance.gif
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I do the lions share of the household chores, Im a stay at home mum though both boys are at school during the day. My husband works 14 hour days as a prison officer... I wouldnt dream of asking him to pitch in unless it was his day off and he offers (he does, really) Im an old fashioned type I guess, it just doesnt bother me in the slightest.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Maybe these couples should be doing less housework and more.....bow chicka wow wow
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I thought it went something like "if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman you wife"

Always loved that song.

"Hey man I saw you wife the other day! Yeah and she ugly!!"

"Yeah but she sure can cook!"
  • No.

And that's all I have to say.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I always think these statistics are silly- people who, for cultural or religious reasons, believe that women are supposed to subservient baby machines/house maids for the men in their lives probably also have religious and cultural objections to divorce.

Mystery solved.

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words.

Just because someone's not divorcing doesn't mean their marriage is good. Maybe they just feel they don't have options.

I love being married, but I don't see high divorce rates as bad things. Being stuck in a bad situation is way worse than divorce.
  • ElicitDreams
    ElicitDreams Posts: 73 Member
    Options

You're fantastic
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's because no matter how many times he does the dishes, he doesn't put them in the dishrack the right way!!!!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Mystery solved.
    I was thinking this, but couldn't have said it better :drinker:
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am entirely ok with this IF the wife is a housewife or stay-at-home-mom. However, if both partners work full time, then they should share the housework equally.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Meh whatever...my husband can never sit on the couch and laze around if I am in the kitchen or doing things around the house. And no, I am not obssessive about how he does things...if he doesn't put the spice jar back in the right place, when I go in and can't find it the next time, I just put it back. Simple enough.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    What man would divorce a woman doing the MAJORITY of the work??? hmmmmm
This discussion has been closed.