Do you like your first name?

Options

Replies

• renehallen
    renehallen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My name is Rene (pronounced Renay) and I have always hated it and still do. It's even spelled wrong ... my parents didn't know that the French female version is supposed to be Renee. Anyway, I still hate it, and one of the reasons I hate it is that stupid Left Banke song from back in the 60's called Walk Away Renee and I can still remember back in high school mean kids singing it to me as if to say I should go away. Okay, that's a look at one of the skeletons in my closet :)
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nope, never liked my first name or middle name for that matter. While it isn't rocket science to pronounce my name, apparently it is to spell it. I have spent years having people ask me "Is that with two R's?" No, it's one R and an I. So it's Shari? No, E-R-I. Sherry? Sigh, I give up. So now when someone asks me, is that two R's? I say, yep close enough. It's just not worth the fight.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jennifer. One of 8 trillion born in the early '70s.

Enough said.

I'm a Melissa, also born in the early 70's. Besides Jennifer, the only name bigger back then was probably Michelle. And I get called Michelle all the time. LOL
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Making this simple: Hate my first name. Hard as heck over the phone for people to understand it since it's not a common name, EVERYONE messes it up
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    My name is Marci...mar-cee. I like it. I don't know any other Marci's. Lot's of people mispronounce it, spell it wrong or if the see it somewhere and assume it is Marky! Really Marky?!
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Mine is Ashley... love it and hate it.. I like the name, but I grew up with soo many people named Ashley. In 1 of my classes in middle school, there were 3 other girls named Ashley, 2 spelled differently, but it was always annoying to have so many people with the same name! But I do like it. :)

I named my daughter Kylie, hoping for a not so popular name only to hear that every third person knows a Kylie.. oh well, it really suits her, and at 4, she loves her name! :)
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    My name is Allison and I hated it when I was little because my uncles used to call me Big Al.

Now I love it. It was my great grandma's name and Allison isn't that common of a name. People call me Alli for short.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Not really.
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My name's Veda
    I like it, it's different... not too many people with my name

I have an aunt named Veda

haha, so much for originality :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Shirley.....I can't stand it!!!!
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    I'm a Jennifer. One of 8 trillion born in the early '70s.

Enough said.

I'm a Melissa, also born in the early 70's. Besides Jennifer, the only name bigger back then was probably Michelle. And I get called Michelle all the time. LOL

I'm a Melissa too and am called Michelle all of the time!! I've always wondered why people mistake the two for each other....I hated my name growing up because my brother started the nickname Mel
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My name is Phyllis and I actually love my name. Of course, like many of you, I wasn't so crazy about it when I was in elementary school, simply because boys would tease me by calling me "Felix the cat!" Stupid boys, Felix wasn't my name and it wasn't even pronounced that way!

Nonetheless, I'm happier when my name is properly pronounce, especially when I'm good :bigsmile:
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't actually go by my legal first name - haven't since I was a youngster. It was common and dull - so I switched it to my middle name. My parents and family still refer to me as my legal name but in a social setting they know it's my middle :)

Cheers - awesome thread!

That's right,,,,I think Petunia is a nice name... ;)

Yep, and sunshine does you no justice <3
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm alright with Sam.

There are sooo many nicknames for it. When I was little, teachers would ask me if I liked green eggs & ham. That still happens sometimes. "Sam-I-Am". Then my classmates would call me "Spam". All of this food related stuff... No wonder I have problems with food. ;D
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    if you love and appreciate your name as an adult, then your parent(s) did a good job.

you're not just naming a baby, you're naming a future adult.
  • NettyIOM
    NettyIOM Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm Janette. Have never liked it. Most people call me Netty (which I do like). I only get called Janette by my work colleagues. If my family or friends use it, I know i'm in trouble ;)
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't really like my first name, mainly because growing up it was so common! I graduated with 4 other Lindsay/Lindsey/Lyndseys and nobody could ever get mine right! I even have family that can't remember that it's simply Lindsey and I'm 23.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Alyssa.

I've always hated it. A lot.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Mine is alright :)

After reading a lot of these....i sure hope my kids like what i chose for them.

However, once I tell them what their FATHER wanted to name them, i'm sure they will feel like I'm their saving grace, and thank the lucky stars that I had the ending say.