Do you like your first name?

Options

Replies

• SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Nope not a fan and to make matters worse it was one of the most popular names of my birth year.
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    Yes, I love it :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    After 58 years, I am pretty used to Michael.
  • sprocket1978
    sprocket1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Emma Here :) I used to hate it till i found out that im named after Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) from the original avengers series- my dad had a big crush on her lol.
    Shes kick *kitten* so now im all good. :)
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    VANESSA- Yes I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!!!! lol
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Nope. My name is Susan. It's very harsh sounding. I prefer to go by Sue, but I hate single syllable names too, so Sue isn't much better. My middle and married last name are very harsh sounding single syllable names too.

My mom wanted to name my Katherine, dad wanted Susan. The doc who helped deliver me got the deciding vote.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I love my name...but growing up ...yeah not so much...

my name is Lauren...and people would constantly call me Laura, or Laureen or Lorraine....

so yeah....

i LOVE it...
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Mine is Cara (pronounced like care+a). I hated it as a child because people always (and still do) get the pronunciation wrong. I've learned to deal with it and I've grown to adore my name because it's uncommon. It wasn't until I went to university that I met another Cara.
  • 3rotties
    Options
    My name is Shauna...I hated it because people would call me Shannon...Now I don't really think about it
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    As a child, I hated my name because it's uncommon. When you're a kid, you just want to fit in and with my name I stood out like a sore thumb in a class full of girls named Amy, Jennifer, and Michelle. Now as an adult, I like it and see it as being "unique" rather than "weird."
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Mine is Dawn and I've always hated it.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    mine is Lisa and I hate it (33 yrs old, it aint growin on me) .. and I esp. can't stand when people emphasize the "a"
    or when people call me "Lee Lee" .. now I don't mind Lisie (lease y) but I would rather be Elizabeth :flowerforyou:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My first name is Meredith, and although I like it and have always appreciated that I never had anyone else in my class with the same name, I always got really annoyed that I could never find anything with my name on it. You know, like those souvenir coffee mugs and stuff at amusement parks? Yeah. I can never find em with "Meredith" on them! Otherwise, I like my name. It's cool :smile:
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I'm a Jennifer. One of 8 trillion born in the early '70s.

Enough said.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I love my first name. It's unisex and it has a pretty unique spelling. I'll never find a keychain with my name on it, but I get compliments all the time.
  • jayne12469
    jayne12469 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Never particularly cared for Jayne. Boring, and the spelling is a real PITA, especially now that I work for a company where the email address system is first name-last initial.

My mother's given name is Debby. Not Deborah, not Debra, not Debbie...Debby. Three quarters of her family still misspell it, and she's 68 years old. You'd think she'd have seen the error of her mother's ways and spared her child...nope.

The best part is that she gave me "Danielle" as a middle name, because she "thought it was pretty". If you thought it was so pretty, why did you name me Jayne?!?
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like my name despite Brad Pitt ruining it a little.

"Legends of the Fall" is released and suddenly there are a bunch of Tristan's in the world.
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mine is Karina, love it :D
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    my name is Julettashane ive always loved it but my teachers in school didnt lol. my name was always messed up by someone. its entertaining
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have always liked Kimberly, but never liked Kim. Ever since reading "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling.
    Kimberly has a much nicer meaning than Kim, too.

My mother's name is Janet- she hates it. I like it. My mom hates to be called that and has always insisted on being called Jan. I like full names, though. (Like not using the shortened version of a longer name. Kim for Kimberly, Mike for Michael, Gwen for Gwendolyn, etc)
    edit- BUT I like the shorter names if they are the given name. Like naming the child Tim instead of Timothy or Becky instead of Rebecca
    That's funny, I'm just the opposite! I don't mind Kim at all, however, I think it's the assumption that people automatically think my name is Kimberly that bugs me.
    Oh and the real winners remind me that Kimber rhymes with Timber. WOW! I have NEVER heard that before!!!

Same here. I don't mind the name Kimberley, but it does annoy me that people tell me my name is short for Kimberley. No it's not. My name is Kim. :p