South Beach

Options

Replies

• coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the SBD but don't know that much about it. What's the essence of the diet?

Its a low carb diet. You follow a strict diet for 2 weeks eliminating alot of foods. After 2 weeks you wean back in. You should check out your local library for the book.
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight at all last week... But I lost an inch from my hips. It's also my TOM, so that may be part of it... I'm pretty discouraged.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    From Jan 14th to now i've lost about 4 pounds which is better then nothing.... I would have lost way more but i had a lot of screw ups....
  • pepper06
    Options
    :ohwell: Hi-I did the SB previously and was successful. I learned to stay away from basically the "yellow" vegies, and I lost the weight. It really trained me to not eat all those sweets. I am now back to it this week except I did have oatmeal (as my Dr highly reccommends oatmeal a couple times a wk. This morning I was craving a small Dannon light and fit yougart w/some fresh rasberries, so I had that instead of the egg w/1 slice of turkey bacon and the v-8 juice-later I had a few nuts.
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Pepper06 if you don't mind me asking how much weight did you lose and how long where you on it???? Also if you like we would love for you to join our little group that we have going here.. We weigh in on thursdays and i post little challenges to keep us motivated we also share recipes , idea's and encouragement ..
  • pepper06
    Options
    I did this couple of years ago and lost 35lbs! I did the whole plan. I would lovvvvve to join-great motivation to have a group doing the same.....THANKS FOR THE INVITE! :flowerforyou: Will catch you nxt wk for weigh in. The recipes in the book are yummy too.
    I skipped the meat for BF this morn-had hard boiled egg,v-8,large coffee and water bottle. I'm full!
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Hey all!

Just wanted to say "hi".

I haven't been able to stick with SBD 100% because this week has been crazy trying to get hubby set to go to afghanistan in a few weeks. Still, I am down a total 0f 11 lb.

We ate fast food on the road Monday when we had to travel to a doctor 3.5 hours away for our little one and I thought I just blew it and I still lost this week. Not as much as I would have liked but something. I didn't do too badly with the fast food either. Asiago bagel sandwich from Panera, at least had some healthy protien, lol.

For the most part, when I am eating at home and work, I am still sticking with phase 1 foods. I don't know when I am going to change that, as I'm not missing much right now. Thinking about adding a bowl of steel cut oats a few times a week or something but I'm happy with what I am eating right now. I don't miss anything at all. Maybe a smoothie once a week or two but I'm not even thinking about fruit these days.

Hope everyone is doing well :) Have a great weekend!!!

Oh and FYI, those gorgrous, thin people in my profile pic are my older two daughters, not me, lol. My ticker has the little partners in crime on it now, lol.
  • CCH410
    CCH410 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight at all last week... But I lost an inch from my hips. It's also my TOM, so that may be part of it... I'm pretty discouraged.

Don't get too discouraged. Way to go on the inch lost! I know that has to feel great! :)
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    HAD TO SHARE THIS...

1 graham cracker ( break into two )
    Fat free whip cream ( put on 1 side of cracker and top with the other)
    FREEZE!!!!

BEST!!!!! ice cream sandwhich ever.... My kids are going crazy over these.... For 1 cracker and whip cream it's about 85 calories depending on what kind of whip you use and crackers. :)
  • Hetfield
    Hetfield Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there South Beach gang! I am late so maybe I can't join but today 2/8/10 I am starting the SB diet. I am not sure how this will go for me because I do get shaky if I don't have my carbs but hopefully I can hang in there.

How is it going for all of you? Have you all gotten through the dreaded first two weeks? I have already modified my SB diet. I simply can't do artificial sweetener in my coffee - so I am using sugar and just trying to not use as much as I did.

I also have a question - when it is a salad for lunch with chicken breast is it okay to use those Oscar Meyer chicken breast strips instead of a homemade chicken breast? And is it okay to use baby spinach leaves instead of spring mix? It just is my preference but if there is a reason we aren't supposed to use the spinach leaves I can go with the spring mix. I couldn't find anything in the book about this. That balsamic vinagerette dressing recipe is great!

Sorry to be joining so late.......
  • coronalime
    Options
    I also have a question - when it is a salad for lunch with chicken breast is it okay to use those Oscar Meyer chicken breast strips instead of a homemade chicken breast? And is it okay to use baby spinach leaves instead of spring mix? It just is my preference but if there is a reason we aren't supposed to use the spinach leaves I can go with the spring mix. I couldn't find anything in the book about this. That balsamic vinagerette dressing recipe is great!

Sorry to be joining so late.......

you can do whatever for lettuce/spring/spinach etc. You can also do whatever for chicken. DH and I on Sundays/Mondays make a batch of chicken breasts for the week. I dont know much about Oscar Meyer but you make just glance at nutritional value and make sure sodium isnt high. SB doesnt care but we do :)
  • Hetfield
    Options
    ah good point Coronalime.... i will definitely check the sodium. Thats a good idea about making a batch of chicken breasts for the week...I could grill up a bunch.
    Thanks for the suggestions!! I need all the help I can get with this SB diet hah!!
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Het Field you are more then welcome to join us... We are all on different phase's but still give each other great support... We weigh in thursdays and i'll be posting more Mini challenges to keep all of us motivated... As of right now im going to be back on phase 1 until i feel that im ready for phase 2. My biggest down fall is beer and wine and trust me i've had my bad days and have gave in. :(
    There are so many wonderful south beach recipes I love going to http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html and get different idea's and then turning them SB friendly :bigsmile:
  • Teleri
    Teleri Posts: 32
    Options
    Hello again everyone, I was on vacation for a few days and wow! I did awful!!
    I went grocery shopping tonight, and I am not really sure where I am starting at. I think I am going to just stay under my calorie goal on MFP, and not eat desserts and white bread, but not be REALLY strict about everything. I am NOT giving up though.
  • Hetfield
    Options
    Thank you Tamietifannie -

I'm only on my first day and just not sure if i will be strict with myself with it or I might just kind of do a modified version. I tried the almond ricotta cream tonite and didn't really enjoy it too much...would much rather have plain soft serve from dairy queen haha!! I do like the recipes tho..today I made the bfast quiche cups and really liked them - ate two of them with V8 and coffee.....(Two days ago I would have eaten five so I really need to work on my portion control haha) and made the salmon and asparagus for dinner - very good!! I too am a wine lover... I did have a glass tonite.
  • coronalime
    Options
    Het Field you are more then welcome to join us... We are all on different phase's but still give each other great support... We weigh in thursdays and i'll be posting more Mini challenges to keep all of us motivated... As of right now im going to be back on phase 1 until i feel that im ready for phase 2. My biggest down fall is beer and wine and trust me i've had my bad days and have gave in. :(
    There are so many wonderful south beach recipes I love going to http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html and get different idea's and then turning them SB friendly :bigsmile:

I am going to start Phase 1 next week. I am "slipping" since Super Bowl. I am under or around calories but they arent good ones...We had the super bowl at our house so I have chips, wings and just JUNK plus diet sodas which I had given up. After that super bowl binge all I want is junk food. YUCK. I would start SB 1 now but I dont have the time to get to the grocery store. I think I will do Phase 1 for a week and go back to Phase 2.
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Coronalime

I know what you mean i have so much junk food in my house and to top it off the military gave us 3 boxes of girl scout cookies and i told my kids to hurry up and hide them but of course i found them... Blah!!!! Im restarting on the 22nd after the holidays pass by again and by then i'll have enough money to re-stock the house with good stuff.. why is healthy food so expensive???
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Im going to weigh in on monday since i restarted my workout program and eating habits on monday and i need a full week to see results.. but i hope everyone else has a wonderful weigh in tomorrow and is doing great..
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Sorry I have been MIA..had a really bad week.....kids were sick/out of school
    Anyway, I am bac on track 5 full day and going strong

Does anyone know if low-fat refried beans and grabanzo beans are OK for phase 1

Thanks..hope everyone is doing well
    Kim
  • coronalime
    Options
    Hi all

Sorry I have been MIA..had a really bad week.....kids were sick/out of school
    Anyway, I am bac on track 5 full day and going strong

Does anyone know if low-fat refried beans and grabanzo beans are OK for phase 1

Thanks..hope everyone is doing well
    Kim

It seems refried fat free were newly added, Refried use to be a no no. There is a list and link below.

BEANS/LEGUMES (Vegetables/Carbohydrates)

(Start with 1/3 - 1/2 cup serving)
    Adzuki Beans
    Black Beans
    Black-eyed peas
    Broad Beans
    Butter Beans
    Cannellini Beans
    Chickpeas or Garbanzo
    Edamame
    Great Northern Beans
    Italian Beans
    Kidney Beans