South Beach

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm joining you guys. Is this the best place for low carb? I'm a total newb. Normally, I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast, and something like sandwiches for lunch, pasta for dinner. I've been mostly eating "clean," which means I've already crossed the hurdle of getting the white sugar out of my diet. That part is easy now. It's the bread, oatmeal, crackers, pasta, etc. that are going to be really tough!

I don't really need to lose much weight (5 lbs. would be nice). I want to get healthier and see what kind of affect low-carb eating will have on how I feel. I have little idea what to eat, or how many carbs to shoot for per day. I want to eat real food, not artificially low-carb "products." Any advice? The only book I have is Jonny Bowden's Living the Low Carb Life, which has a lot of information about the various low carb diets (all fourteen of them, according to him!), but not much in the way of food lists, as far as I can tell so far.

Thanks!

I can send you food lists for Atkins and South Beach (they are the most similar) which allows for many, many veggies.............
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I can send you food lists for Atkins and South Beach (they are the most similar) which allows for many, many veggies.............

That would be very helpful, thanks! I'm scouring the internet for food lists right now.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options

That would be very helpful, thanks! I'm scouring the internet for food lists right now.

You should be able to pick up a SB Diet book at the library pretty easily. Its also available in soft copy so you can find it for around $5 at most big bookstores or even Walmart.. I mostly eat egg/salsa/laughing cow cheese omlet in the morning. Salad and protein with sugar free jello at lunch and dinner is a protein and veggies. Snacks I stick to mozzarella stix fat free ricotta cheese. I can eat fruits so I have fruits for snacks.
    Good luck
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

For the Atkins Diet, Phase 1 food list is on this link:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=lowcarbdiets&cdn=health&tm=6&f=10&su=p284.9.336.ip_&tt=11&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one/two-week-induction-meal-plan

Phase 2 Food List starts you climbing up the carb ladder in a very controlled way. This is done so you can see if you have any food intolerances to certain foods............the only way to tell is to add foods in one at a time.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=lowcarbdiets&cdn=health&tm=6&f=10&su=p284.9.336.ip_&tt=11&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one/two-week-induction-meal-plan

South Beach is very similar, I am looking for the food lists as it is long and don't want to type it up.............
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :happy: i'm starting this diet today! so glad that i found this thread! hope everyone is doing well this week!
  • pepper06
    pepper06 Posts: 89
    Options
    July24Lioness I wish I only had 5lbs-could probably just loose that in a couple of weeks with water weight! I gained 1.5 which I figured I would gain 2 back after the weekend get away(food SB choices were not there). I think I worked 1/2 lb off since Mon. I am going to continue w/ ph1 because of this.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Erussell1989 WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have any question about southbeach feel free to ask! Monday will be my week 2 on phase 1 and i'm down 8lbs already which im hoping it keeps going down... :)
  • EmilyAnn89
    Options
    Erussell1989 WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have any question about southbeach feel free to ask! Monday will be my week 2 on phase 1 and i'm down 8lbs already which im hoping it keeps going down... :)

nice!! you are getting so close to your goal weight! can't wait until i don't have too much to go!
  • EmilyAnn89
    Options
    this might be a dumb question.. but it says you are allowed to eat cheese.. how much in a day lol?
  • pepper06
    Options
    regarding the cheese amount that is allowed:

CHEESE (FAT-FREE OR LOW-FAT) (Protein)

Look for varieties that have 6 grams of fat or less/ounce
    American
    Cheddar
    Cottage cheese, 1-2% or fat-free
    Feta
    Mozzarella
    Parmesan
    Part-skim Ricotta
    Part-skim String
    Provolone
    Swiss

I have found if I have gained then I ate too much cheese during the week-indication to cut back!
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    I think for how much of cheese there is no limit but you will want to make sure each serving is less then 6 grams of fat ... Cheese is high in calories and fat grams so just double check the serving size
  • pepper06
    Options
    ok, I have made progress. I lost the pound and a half from our away weekend plus 1/2 lb, so I am ahead. I am thinking of transitioning to ph 2 starting tomorrow. I would gradually only add 1 item or 2 to begin with. What is everyone's opinion-stay on ph 1 another week or transition to ph 2?
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Pepper i say go with what feels right to you! If you feel like your body needs to stay on phase 1 another week or switch it's all up to how you feel... You could always just stay on phase 1 but only add either a fruit back in or a carb and take it slow like that
  • pepper06
    Options
    ok-I did transition...and I lost another 2.5lbs! YIPPPPPPPEE! I even went for Sat afternoon dessert at a restaurant, but I only ate 1/2 and was stuffed! I did an extra couple of workouts to make up for the guilt. I am taking phs 2 slow not adding everything back at once ( I learned). I am feeling better and my clothes are not snug....will see what next week brings.
  • graegirl
    graegirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The ricotta dessert is gross, but I discovered something way better---it's kind of like pudding or soft cheesecake. (yum!)

In a blender, puree:

2 cups of fat free cottage cheese
    1/3 cup of water
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    splenda to desired sweetness (I use 1-2 tbsp)

Blend it until there are no lumps and it's super creamy, then pour into dessert dishes and chill for an hour.