South Beach

Options
Anyone doing phase 1 of the South beach diet???

Replies

• tzvishear
    Options
    i did this a little while ago. you must be very strict the first 2 weeks. after that it gets a little easier.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Im starting it today and wanted to see if anyone else was doing the south beach diet and would like to be buddies and give each other encouragement and tips on staying on track... I did this a few months ago and lost 12 lbs in two weeks and kept it off until a few months ago when i let the holiday foods get the best of me :P
  • Teleri
    Teleri Posts: 32
    Options
    I am on South Beach Phase 1. My husband and I started yesterday. I tried doing this last summer and had to move to phase 2 within 3 days because I was nursing. I still lost though. I am hoping for better results this time.
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    I started yesterday and have stuck to it so so. Stupid Special K crackers! lol Still, I'm way under my MFP goals. I made a couple of servings of things like the turkey roll-ups with cilantro mayo (LOVE them) and celery stuffed with laughing cow to tote with me to work. I also made a HUGE salad and put it in the fridge so lunches will be easy to throw together.

I normally wouldn't consider something like SBD but since our family has gone gluten (for the most part) and dairy free to help our 2 year old autistic daughter stick ther her dietary needs, it made SBD seem like something worth trying.

I'd love to buddy up with someone, or a few someones to help keep me on track. I've never really dieted before, just eaten more sensibly, fallen off, repeat....repeat...repeat.
  • Teleri
    Teleri Posts: 32
    Options
    You can do it with us byHisgrace! Today is day 3 and the eggs for breakfast are in my belly. How about you?
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Good morning! Well...I weighed myself on the doctor's scale we have here at work this morning, which is the only scale I use, and I've lost 4 lb!!! However, now I am having a serious struggle. DH and all 4 kids had major cases of stomach flu starting Friday night and winding down late last night. I haven't gotten it yet but my stomach is queazy this morning and I haven't yet eaten. I'm at work and contemplating some oatmeal, as I think it would be easiest on my tummy. I really hate to go off phase 1 for even one meal, I've actually been enjoying the foods. I'm thinking my tummy may just be upset because I've had NO sleep in days. Our two year old is autistic and sleep is a major issue for her anyway so that coupled with the flu left me with about 4 hours of broken sleep last night. Still, eggs just do not sound appealing right now. I have some here, so I'm going to wait and see.

How are you guys doing today? Well, I hope :)

Where are you getting your recipes? I have the original book and have been using those. I went to the library to check out some of the cookbooks last night and they are already out. Instead I picked up the Idiots Guide Low G.I. Cookbook. The recipes are very, very low carb and healthy fats, so it should be fine as a replacement.

DH is on a no red meat kick, he's super fitness/nutrition aware and cycles himself through these phases when he's trying to really lean up, which he's doing now. So, I'll be making lots and lots of chicken and fish.

Is anyone using the website? It looks interesting but I don't know if I want to spend $20 a month on it. $$$ is super tight right now, DH has been out of work for months and is not getting unemployment because he was working out of the country.

Hope everyone is having a pleasant Tuesday!
    Amy
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    I thought it would be fun to write down what we are all eating that way we can get some idea's of different meals to try... This is what i had for today

Breakfast:

1 tomatoe
    1 wedge laughing cow cheese
    2 slices turkey bacon
    2 cups coffee
    2 tsp fat free creamer

Am snack : I missed it

Lunch:

2 cups romaine lettuce
    1 cup mixed lobster and crab meat
    10 sprays of wine bone dressing
    1/2 bell pepper
    1/2 cup Calliflower
    1 slice swiss cheese

Pm snack:

Broccoli about 3 cups

Dinner:

4 oz chicken breast
    4 cups zuccini

i also drink about 4 cups of peppermint tea before bed time...
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Awesome!!! I love peppermint tea too. I am trying to recreate Macaroni Grill's blakberry mint too, but my local grocery has been out of fresh mint :(

I am off the wagon for today ladies. I have been in bed most of the day. I WILL be starting again tomorrow. I had to eat somthing and nothing legal sounded ok. I ended up eating a bowl of instant oatmeal at work this morning and then came home sick anyway, lol. I had a caramel rice cake this afternoon and am now tackling a bowl of Trader Joe's roasted red pepper and tomato soup, since it's the only soup I have on hand and DH is still down and out too. It's days like today I wish my oldest had time to take driver's ed, lol. So, starting two weeks again tomorrow, which is fine with me :)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I did this before the Holidays....I lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks so Though I am happy feel like I did something wrong
    I am starting again tomorrow since I l gained most of it back from splurging over the holidays
    My problems is I really really hate lettuce and most veggies that are approved for phase 1
    What I have been eating are

Eggs
    mayo
    tuna
    chicken
    turkey (bacon, meatballs, sausage)
    al nuts (maybe too high in cals)
    string or green beans...lots of them
    water/green tea
    cheese
    plain yogurt

any advice??
    I know this isn't the healthiest bunch of foods but figured after I passed th 2 week mark I could add some additional things to my list/menu
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Hi Kimber :)

Those foods seem fine to me but i would add a mix of veggies that way you don't get bored and start wanting sugar or carbs also what about beans do you like pinto , black or chick .... they are great for filling me up between meals. I also like to have turkey burgers for lunches and dinners with onions and roasted garlic on top... If you need any tips just let us know
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Hi

I did this before the Holidays....I lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks so Though I am happy feel like I did something wrong
    I am starting again tomorrow since I l gained most of it back from splurging over the holidays
    My problems is I really really hate lettuce and most veggies that are approved for phase 1
    What I have been eating are

Eggs
    mayo
    tuna
    chicken
    turkey (bacon, meatballs, sausage)
    al nuts (maybe too high in cals)
    string or green beans...lots of them
    water/green tea
    cheese
    plain yogurt

any advice??
    I know this isn't the healthiest bunch of foods but figured after I passed th 2 week mark I could add some additional things to my list/menu

If you hate the legal veggies in phase 1 that much, why not start in phase two? You're right, this is not the healthiest bunch of foods and I don't want to sound like the food police but it's just so limited.

I think SBD is intended to be made up of a fair amount of veggies so just sticking with the safe "others" might not get you results.

Have you tried other types of lettuce? Is it a texture issue? What veggies do you like?

Amy
  • kimber607
    Options
    Hi Kimber :)

Those foods seem fine to me but i would add a mix of veggies that way you don't get bored and start wanting sugar or carbs also what about beans do you like pinto , black or chick .... they are great for filling me up between meals. I also like to have turkey burgers for lunches and dinners with onions and roasted garlic on top... If you need any tips just let us know

Thanks..is there a south beach group..so we can discuss meals etc
    I LOVE lots of different types of beans but thought they were a no/no on phase 1....
    Does anyone know of a list on line of approved phase 1 foods...I've been trying to take The South Beach book out of my local library but I can't seem to get it..I took out a book which seemed similar and it said NO beans initially
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    I have the book right here:

Beans are under foods to enjoy :)

I will work on getting a list made for you, I've been sick all day and just don't have the energy right now, sorry.

For now here are the veggiesand legumes to enjoy:
    Artichokes
    Asparagus
    Beans
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Califlower
    Celery
    Collard Greens
    Cucumbers
    Eggplant
    Lettuce (all)
    mushrooms (all)
    snow peas
    spinach
    alfalfa sprouts
    tomatoes
    turnips
    water chestnuts
    zucchini

HTH
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Also, the only veggies to avoid are:
    Beets
    Carrots
    Potatoes (white and sweet)
    Yams
  • kimber607
    Options
    I have the book right here:

Beans are under foods to enjoy :)

I will work on getting a list made for you, I've been sick all day and just don't have the energy right now, sorry.

For now here are the veggiesand legumes to enjoy:
    Artichokes
    Asparagus
    Beans
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Califlower
    Celery
    Collard Greens
    Cucumbers
    Eggplant
    Lettuce (all)
    mushrooms (all)
    snow peas
    spinach
    alfalfa sprouts
    tomatoes
    turnips
    water chestnuts
    zucchini

HTH

Thank-you..thank-you..than-you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hope u feel better soon

I also love peas and the book I have said NO to peas in the initial phase
    Just an FYI..TJ makes a GREAT turkey chilli....it has 2 grams of sugar TOTAL in the entire can
    Not sure if it is safe for the initial phase or at all....just wanted to pass it on..maybe someone more knowledgeable about the plan would want to check it out
  • kimber607
    Options
    Beets
    Carrots
    Yams

Thanks again!
    Isn't corn a big one to avoid?
  • kimber607
    Options
    Don't know how accurate this is..found it on the web
    I will be so happy if in phase one I can have peas and some beans!

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/food_list.html
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Beets
    Carrots
    Yams

Thanks again!
    Isn't corn a big one to avoid?

Sorry I forgot to add the corn. You are correct.
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Don't know how accurate this is..found it on the web
    I will be so happy if in phase one I can have peas and some beans!

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/food_list.html
    That looks about right to me, though it's organized differently than the book, so I will have to look it over more carefully with a clear head.

The one thing I did notice is that plain, fat free yogurt is allowed and I didn't see it on this list, but I may have missed it.

I will check out the TJ's turkey, that would be nice in a pinch. Thanks!
  • sarman78
    Options
    Hi All! I am on day 4 and doing pretty good - made it through the weekend!!! Keep up the good work everyone!