South Beach

Options

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Im starting the biggest loser Cardio Max dvd tonight along with three hours of hard cleaning and then a 45 minute walk after dinner... So im hoping that will help jump start my weight lost goal.... I did that before and lost 12 pounds and after a while working out just came so natural to me i felt off when i wouldn't workout i just need to get back on track... So far today i have been doing well... Trying to get all my water in and eating healthy... I cooked a 18 lb turkey last night so im eating some of that today which is great in protein and low in calories..
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Has any one tried the Ricotta dessert ??? I bought some Ricotta cheese and was thinking of trying one of the desserts what didn't know which one to try!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Has any one tried the Ricotta dessert ??? I bought some Ricotta cheese and was thinking of trying one of the desserts what didn't know which one to try!

I haven't but I am eyeing it and plan to hit the store tomorrow (if I am feeling better)...need to look over the recipes more and make a list

Does anyone have any weird food cravings
    I am really jonsing for some oatmeal today...I usually buy the packages of low carb or low sugar and I also want some yogurt
  • kimber607
    Options

Thanks so much!
    The links you're provided and recipes have been a great help

I'm having another silly craving
    Making my kids tacos for dinner....
    I buy the low fat/ loe carb whole wheat TJ tortillas (net 4 gr carbs)
    I usually throw in some beans and cheese...yum..today I am having the beans and cheese minus the tortilla...LOL
  • Teleri
    Teleri Posts: 32
    Options
    So today is going to be my first day of SB phase 1 only cause i really need to kick it into gear and start giving this 100% As of today my weigh in is 156 . I thought today would be a great day to start the challenges . I was wondering what does everyone do for work outs???

Challenge 1

No more soda (Including diet)
    100 Crunches a day
    64-70 oz of water a day

I was also thinking if everyone is normally working out for 30 -40 minutes a day it would be fun to maybe add a extra 10 minutes to your workout and every week we will slowly add 10 minutes and see what kind of results we all get...
    Hope everyone has a wonderful day !!!!

So is the challenge to do every day for a week?? I haven't done any challenges on the forums before
  • Teleri
    Options

I love the vanilla one, the only other one I tried was the mocha and I wasn't so impressed.

Also I think you can totally lose it by Valentine's with all the extra exercise you are putting it.

I will be weighing in tonight...well because I like to torture myself I guess.
  • kimber607
    Options

I love the vanilla one, the only other one I tried was the mocha and I wasn't so impressed.

Also I think you can totally lose it by Valentine's with all the extra exercise you are putting it.

I will be weighing in tonight...well because I like to torture myself I guess.

Why can't I find the ricotta/vanilal recipe..anyone have a link
    Also, am I the only one a little bothered by using sugar subsitutes? some of the recipes call for a ton of splenda
    I have stevia and wonder how they compare..would the same amount be used in a recipe?
  • Teleri
    Options
    Splenda has 2 kinds of sweetener, one for baking and one for like coffee and such. The baking kind uses the same amount as you would sugar.
    I believe you use less Stevia in things, pretty sure the same amount would be grossly sweet.

Vanilla Ricotta
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 packet sugar substitute
  • kimber607
    Options
    Splenda has 2 kinds of sweetener, one for baking and one for like coffee and such. The baking kind uses the same amount as you would sugar.
    I believe you use less Stevia in things, pretty sure the same amount would be grossly sweet.

Vanilla Ricotta

Thanks!!
  • kimber607
    Options

Vanilla Ricotta

Thanks!!
    Tried looking on line to find out how much stevia is comparable to splenda used in a recipe but couldn't find anything
    If anyone can help me out...plese let me know
  • byHisgrace
    Options

Vanilla Ricotta

The lemon and lime ones are the same as above plus one teaspoon grated lemon or lime zest. I was not impressed with the mocha either. I LOVE both the lemon and lime though.

I don't use stevia either, xylitol (sp?) is what we have been using and it doesn't have that fake taste to me and is supposed to be better for you (until they decide it too causes cancer/three eyes/wolf man syndrome/whatever).
  • Teleri
    Options

Tried looking on line to find out how much stevia is comparable to splenda used in a recipe but couldn't find anything
    If anyone can help me out...plese let me know

this is what I found

One half tsp. of stevia extract provides the same sweetening power as a cup of sugar.

1 cup of SPLENDA® Granulated is equal in sweetness to 1 cup of sugar.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2104497_replace-sugar-stevia.html
    go to that link though because it depends what kind of stevia you have. if it has a filler i is equal parts
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    TELERI

I was thinking for the challenge to do it daily and then when we do our next weight see how everyone is doing...

Challenge 1

No more soda (Including diet)
    100 Crunches a day
    64-70 oz of water a day
  • Teleri
    Options
    Sounds good Tammie

I weighed in....

I started Saturday night at 229
    I just weighed in at 227.3
    so I lost about 2lbs

why does this depress me?
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Don't let it stop you It took my body a while to adjust to south beach and i noticed doing phase one for two to three weeks helped and also remember to drink water big time it helps flush everything out
  • sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't believe in any diet that cuts carb. Your body needs 3 macronutrients to function efficiently (fat, carbs and protein). Your body needs good carbs. I agree with eliminating the bad carbs (white flour and refined sugars). I did Atkins (similar concept as South Beach) and ended up in the hospital. Fruits have so many good vitamins and I just could not cut them out. Just my thoughts...
  • Teleri
    Options
    Good Morning all!!! How is everyone doing today?

Weigh in for 1/14/2010; 166 lb (weigh in on my first day one was 172 so even with some slips, I've lost 6 lb since the 10th!)

Can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing!

That is awesome byhisgrace!!! Congrats
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Nope. I don't believe in any diet that cuts carb. Your body needs 3 macronutrients to function efficiently (fat, carbs and protein). Your body needs good carbs. I agree with eliminating the bad carbs (white flour and refined sugars). I did Atkins (similar concept as South Beach) and ended up in the hospital. Fruits have so many good vitamins and I just could not cut them out. Just my thoughts...

Actually, Atkins is quite different in that it a) reduces carb intake far more than SBD b) includes far less healthy fats, in higher quantities than SBD. SBD restricts fruits for 14 days. Period, end of story. Even then, that first phase is optional. I am still eating 40-60 carbs daily, so my body is still getting what it needs to function properly.

I know it's tough for many Americans to grasp based on the carb heavy diets we've been sold on. Three major corporations run the food chain in the US and since carb heavy crops are subsidized and far easier to produce, that's what we end up being "fed" by these companies. Carb laden, UNHEALTHY foods. It's also what's being fed to our meat and the cause of things like E. Coli and the crappy fish in most markets.

If you research, you'll find that carb restrictive diets to boost muscle mass and lose fat have been around since the 1800's. IF they were actually dangerous, I think there'd be some hard science behind that, given the money to be gained by proving that carb heavy or even equalized carb/protien diets were healtier and/or more effective. There isn't any true research based information to back such a claim.

By the way, it's important to take a multi vitamin, it's nearly impossible to get the required vitamins and minerals from food alone. Foods may have x amount of vitamins and nutrients but if you aren't eating them in the correct combinations, your body doesn't absorb them all anyway, so your fruit arguement is weak at best.

Finally, if every American adult actually ate the amount of fruits and vegetables they should eat, every grocery store in the country would be wiped clean of fresh, canned and frozen fruits and vegetables. We currently do not produce or import enough fruits and veggies to actually meet the true needs of our population. SBD is VERY heavy on vegetables, and that is a good thing, as fruits should be enjoyed in much lesser quantities anyway. Even natural sugar from dairy and fruits, are grossly overconsumed by Americans. Research the diets of other cultures that are generally healthier than we are, you'll find what you consider a "carb restrictive diet".
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    I Was able to stay away from soda and get all my water in but didn't get any crunches in yesterday.. So today i will see how many crunches i can do :) Hope every one is doing great and has a wonderful weekend....

Has anyone tried any of the Sb recipes and loved them??? I need some new recipes and never know which one's will turn out good.. I tried the mocha ricotta cheese last night i had to throw it away it was nasty :sick: