South Beach

Options

Replies

• kaiulani3793
    Options
    I did the South Beach diet last summer and Phase 1 really helped me to get past my weight losing plateau. When I would get tired of my usual lettuce in my salads, I switched to Baby Spinach. If that doesn't do it, you could always buy the big containers of pre-mixed Spring Lettuce. Also, dressing. If you can't stand the taste of lettuce, the balsamic vinaigrette recipe in the book is amazing. I still use it. Vary it up before you get tired of what you're eating. That's where I had trouble with the diet. I didn't vary the food that you're allowed to eat to keep me going strong on the diet.
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    I did the South Beach diet last summer and Phase 1 really helped me to get past my weight losing plateau. When I would get tired of my usual lettuce in my salads, I switched to Baby Spinach. If that doesn't do it, you could always buy the big containers of pre-mixed Spring Lettuce. Also, dressing. If you can't stand the taste of lettuce, the balsamic vinaigrette recipe in the book is amazing. I still use it. Vary it up before you get tired of what you're eating. That's where I had trouble with the diet. I didn't vary the food that you're allowed to eat to keep me going strong on the diet.

Thanks for the ideas, even though I like salads, I too get bored easily. I'm going to try the balsamic recipe tomorrow.
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've tried it in the past and less carbs in a diet do help me lose weight much faster. I was however not able to do phase one ( with no carbs, it made sick and I felt like I was going to pass out).
    Good luck. I think there are some good things that can be taken out of that diet.
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    I've tried it in the past and less carbs in a diet do help me lose weight much faster. I was however not able to do phase one ( with no carbs, it made sick and I felt like I was going to pass out).
    Good luck. I think there are some good things that can be taken out of that diet.

I was just adding my net carbs up from yesterday and it was 43. I followed the plan exactly, at least I think so...

What have everyone else's net carbs been for the day?
  • Teleri
    Teleri Posts: 32
    Options
    Lets see I'm just going to randomly answer some things I saw as I read through this.
    My total carbs yesterday was 51.

For the person who doesn't like veggies... my husband hates cauliflower and I made the suprise mashed potatoes. (steamed cauliflower pureed with i cant believe its not butter and salt and pepper) and he liked it.
    Also we are eating bell peppers of all colors for some of our veggies.

Yesterday I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, grilled chicken salad for lunch, sandwich meat and broccoli with the cilantro mayo for snacks... and sautéed(in olive oil) chicken and peas and cauliflower.
  • Teleri
    Options
    Should we all have a weigh in?
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Good morning. I am so glad to be back on track.

This morning I am having a 2 egg white omelet with one fresh basil leaf and a wedge of Laughing Cow light swiss served on a half a roma tomato, sliced.

I have turkey roll-ups from the book made up in the fridge for my snack today and will be having the south beach chopped salad with tuna for lunch. Dinner is TBD.

How's everyone else doing?

I love the idea of a weigh in.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Lets see I'm just going to randomly answer some things I saw as I read through this.
    My total carbs yesterday was 51.

For the person who doesn't like veggies... my husband hates cauliflower and I made the suprise mashed potatoes. (steamed cauliflower pureed with i cant believe its not butter and salt and pepper) and he liked it.
    Also we are eating bell peppers of all colors for some of our veggies.

Yesterday I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, grilled chicken salad for lunch, sandwich meat and broccoli with the cilantro mayo for snacks... and sautéed(in olive oil) chicken and peas and cauliflower.

Morning all :flowerforyou:

So far today I had some cashews and a whey protein (designer whey) and unsweetened almond milk

I thought corn and peas were no/no veggies?
    I'm hitting Tj today and want to now what I can get....
  • kimber607
    Options
    Should we all have a weigh in?

Dare we pick Mondays?
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies !!!

I like to weigh in on thursdays only cause it's right before the weekend and it helps me stay on track over the weekend if i know how my weight is . I am so glade to hear every one is doing good and sticking to their meal plans. I wanted to share this website with everyone to give more recipe idea's. Hope you find some wonderful meals and today goes great for everyone! :bigsmile:

http://www.southbeachcenturyclub.com/phase.php?ph=1

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/02/south-beach-diet-phase-one-recipes.html
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Here's a Little break down on how your meals should be :)

Breakfast should consist of:
    •A serving of protein, such as eggs, meat, tofu, or cottage cheese
    •At least one serving of vegetables or tomato juice or vegetable cocktail juice (such as V-8)
    •A calorie-free beverage such as coffee or tea
    There is no limit on any of these foods except the dairy, so if you are still hungry, eat a little more

Lunch should consist of:
    •A serving of approved protein (serving size not limited, but don’t overeat)
    •Several servings of vegetables, including beans (legumes). In the South Beach book, almost all of the Phase One lunches are or include salads.
    •1 to 2 Tablespoons of salad dressing (see Fats and Oils on the South Beach Diet)
    •Dairy if desired (remembering the limits)
    •Calorie-free beverage, such as water

South Beach Dinners
    Dinners should consist of the following. Of course, they can be combined and cooked in any way, and spiced how you like. This can turn into a Mexican, Asian, or Italian meal, for example.
    •A serving of approved protein (serving size not limited, but don’t overeat)
    •Several servings of vegetables, including beans (legumes).
    •Dairy - check how much you have left, and add in as desired - you might want to save it for dessert (see Dairy Products on the South Beach Diet)
    •Approved fat for cooking or dressing vegetables – 1-2 Tablespoons
    •Calorie-free beverage

Snacks
    The South Beach Diet requires two snacks per day. The ideal snack has both a vegetable and a protein source (Sensing a theme? All low-carb diets rely heavily on these two food categories.) For example, you could stuff celery with tuna salad, dip raw veggies into a bean dip, or have a hard-boiled egg along with whatever raw veggies you fancy. Nuts are also an excellent snack, as they have protein and fiber together (note serving size).

Dessert:
    Unlike snacks, dessert is not required on the South Beach Diet. Most of the desserts in the Phase One Menus of the South Beach Diet book are some form of flavored ricotta cheese (I love ricotta-based treats myself). Also, 75 calories of sugar-free "sweet treats” are allowed per day. Any acceptable snack would be fine as an evening snack as well if you are hungry
  • kimber607
    Options
    Good morning Ladies !!!

I like to weigh in on thursdays only cause it's right before the weekend and it helps me stay on track over the weekend if i know how my weight is . I am so glade to hear every one is doing good and sticking to their meal plans. I wanted to share this website with everyone to give more recipe idea's. Hope you find some wonderful meals and today goes great for everyone! :bigsmile:

http://www.southbeachcenturyclub.com/phase.php?ph=1

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/02/south-beach-diet-phase-one-recipes.html

Thanks so much for the links...Thursday weigh in sounds good
    I'm just getting a little confused with the technicalities....like I think I figured out snow peas and split peas are OK but regular old green peas aren't....I don't know how much overall, this will affect my weight loss
  • Teleri
    Options
    I am still eating green peas, just not every day. I thought they were ok and I am not going back to the grocery store to get something to replace them. I do know corn is not ok.

If we weigh in Thursday then that means TOMORROW!! a good part of the week is already over...hurray!
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    Weigh in for tomorrow sounds good.

I'm hoping to make a TJ's run this weekend. The one nearest us is 45 minutes away so it just dpenends on how things go. I love going there for all the neat gluten free goodies they have for my dd. I don't know what I will do without TJ's when we move down south, lol. I already told my sister she'll have to send care packages.

I keep going over my MFP fat grams. It set at 40 grams per day for 1200 calories. I don't know if that is appropriate for the diet or not. How is everyone else doing in that dept.? I left nuts out of my menu for today because of that issue. Still, with my vanilla ricotta creme I am planning for dessert, I'm over by 5. Oh, and if you haven't tried the ricotta creme recipes, they are fabulous!!! I made a lime one on Monday for my 16 yr old and it tasted like lime cheesecake filling.

Is anyone working out? I was going to start Jillian Michael's 30 day shred this week but with everyone getting sick, I wasn't able to. I'm hoping to start it tomorrow. I've done it one other time and I did lose a lot of weight with it and watching what I was eating. I lost 23 pounds in 8 weeks. I HATE phase one of the shred though, so I'm not toally heartbroken that I haven't started yet, lol. We have a treadmill but it was out in the garage for a few cold nights and it messed up the computer on it, so we are going to have to have it fixed in a few weeks :(
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I did the South Beach diet a few years ago...and gave up after teh first week...i had no energy. i was tired and wanted to sleep a lot. i did manage to lose 5 pounds in the first week but i am guessing it was water weight...i gain it right back (and some) when i stop.

But good luck to all.
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    1200 Calories, 40 grams of Fat, 120 Grams of Carbs , 1500 sodium, 90 grams protein and 14 for fiber

Those are what my profile says to do... I lowered my sodium because i gain water weight very easy

Would everyone like to start challenges while doing the south beach diet??? I was thinking it might help us lose more weight, stay focused and motivated Just let me know
  • kimber607
    Options
    Weigh in for tomorrow sounds good.

I'm hoping to make a TJ's run this weekend. The one nearest us is 45 minutes away so it just dpenends on how things go. I love going there for all the neat gluten free goodies they have for my dd. I don't know what I will do without TJ's when we move down south, lol. I already told my sister she'll have to send care packages.

I keep going over my MFP fat grams. It set at 40 grams per day for 1200 calories. I don't know if that is appropriate for the diet or not. How is everyone else doing in that dept.? I left nuts out of my menu for today because of that issue. Still, with my vanilla ricotta creme I am planning for dessert, I'm over by 5. Oh, and if you haven't tried the ricotta creme recipes, they are fabulous!!! I made a lime one on Monday for my 16 yr old and it tasted like lime cheesecake filling.

Is anyone working out? I was going to start Jillian Michael's 30 day shred this week but with everyone getting sick, I wasn't able to. I'm hoping to start it tomorrow. I've done it one other time and I did lose a lot of weight with it and watching what I was eating. I lost 23 pounds in 8 weeks. I HATE phase one of the shred though, so I'm not toally heartbroken that I haven't started yet, lol. We have a treadmill but it was out in the garage for a few cold nights and it messed up the computer on it, so we are going to have to have it fixed in a few weeks :(

I am just walking on the treadmill I have at home and doing some yoga DVD's
    I did JM 30day shred and metabolism boost over the summer and just wasn't impressed with the results....I got out of the loop of working out with her DVd's and weights and now I am having a hard time getting back into it

I hit TJ today and checked the turkey or chicken chilli and it does list sugar at the end of the ing list
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    1200 Calories, 40 grams of Fat, 120 Grams of Carbs , 1500 sodium, 90 grams protein and 14 for fiber

Those are what my profile says to do... I lowered my sodium because i gain water weight very easy

Would everyone like to start challenges while doing the south beach diet??? I was thinking it might help us lose more weight, stay focused and motivated Just let me know

This is what I am tracking and where it's set calories 1,200; carbs 90; fat 40; protein 120; sugar 24; fiber 20...I'm not tracking sodium but maybe I should be...have to think about it.

I would love to do a challenge.
  • kimber607
    Options

This is what I am tracking and where it's set calories 1,200; carbs 90; fat 40; protein 120; sugar 24; fiber 20...I'm not tracking sodium but maybe I should be...have to think about it.

I would love to do a challenge.

I stopped tracking cals when I started low carbing and lost weight...I have to say it was nice to not log all my cals, but that might change down the line
    Good point about salt....in the past I didn't even have salt in the house but 2 foods I NEED salt with are eggs and green beans which I am eating now daily...
  • Teleri
    Options

I am interested. What kind of challenges?