Age difference in relationships

Options

Replies

• DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    there is a time in life where the age gap does make a difference for both men and women. we mature differently and also the way one is brought up makes a big difference!!!

If a boy/man is brought up thinking a woman is supposed to do all the stuff around the house and he never has a chance to live on his own, the woman he marries will be disappointed in the amount of support she receives from her husband.

culture make a difference too.

My soon to be husband is 54, I am 47. 7 years difference, yet we think quite a bit alike and we look forward to having children ( I have 2 teens - I'm a widow of 10 years).

my mom and dad were 9 years difference. they had 9 children.
  • Taimarra
    Options
    Everything was perfect except that I can't see myself having kids in 2-4 years when I'm ready with someone who would be potentially 40 years old. I'm sorry if this offends any of you around that age!!

I am 37 years old .. my boyfriend of almost 2 years is 24. I can't have children due to some complications health-wise eighteen years ago. I can totally understand this line of reasoning. I know my boyfriend wants kids, he adores them (even though he won't admit it) but -- I always feel guilty about being with him, knowing I cannot possibly give him kids.

That being said, when I was 21 I dated a 44 year old. That man could run circles around me, and I was SERIOUSLY in shape at 21! I've always preferred older men, but my last 3 boyfriends have been getting progressively younger than me, lol (first was 2 years younger, then 4, now 13!) I guess I've kind of dated the whole spectrum.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference, I was 29 and he was 44. We dated about six months and it ended on good terms. My current guy and I are only a couple of years apart though.

Big age gaps work for some people though. My dad & stepmom are 20 years apart and a good friend of mine who is 32 is dating a guy who is 52 and they've been together for something like 7 years now. It works for them.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lookingforsomething
    Options
    I am 38 and my husband is 29!
    I worry sometimes that he hasn't done things that he might later regret not doing ie travel, live in another state etc whereas I have already done all those things.

He says that he is happy so who am I to second guess him!

And if he leaves me I will just hunt him down!!! - only joking :laugh:
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My love is 2 years, 5 months younger than I am. My ex was seven years younger than I am. I just tend to attract younger men, I don't do this on purpose. LOL!
  • yeowiepower
    yeowiepower Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    depends how old they are when they begin dating, and about maturity... for example, a 25+ year old guy and an 18 year old girl or vice versa in my opinion can be a little disturbing... although legally its fine, what if it was 24 and 17? then again 25 year old and 30 year old seems perfectly fine. So end of the day it comes down to how mature both parties are.

i have dated a girl that was 5 years younger than me (24, 19) and although she was very mature for her age, it was always at the back of my mind and i felt weird about it... i dont think i could do that again.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I dated a few animals here and there. Age and type of creature doesn't matter.
  • Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading your post was like I was reading about myself. I met my fiance when I was 20 years old he was 38. We were friends first. He was my sisters ex-husbands best friend. We didn't actually start dating till I was almost 21. He has 3 kids and at the time we waited till we had been dating 2 years before I met them because we didn't want them to get attached and then get hurt. His oldest is 23, middle 21, youngest 16. He has always been supportive of me and pushes me to my full potential. We bought a house when I was 25. I am now 29 will be 30 in 2 weeks, he is 48. It is like you said I have thought about many times if I should continue the relationship and I can't see myself with anyone else. We have never fought, we have had disagreements from time to time about his kids, but we have always worked them out. His kids live with us. We plan on getting married next year. I just lost my mom to breast cancer in May and without him I am not sure I would have had the strength to work full time and be her full time caregiver for the last 3 months of her life. I know people will say it is wrong and that there are too many years between us or that they will only date within certain age ranges...but I say please don't limit yourself you could be missing out on the love of your life. And yes, I worry that he will die before me, but anyone can go at anytime and it is best to live life for today while still reaching for your goals.
  • yeowiepower
    yeowiepower Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was 34 she was 17 and we were together for nearly 6 years.

Age is nothing more than a number.

ummmm, not one to judge but i assume this was legal in the country where you are from?
  • alie5612
    Options
    i've been married to my husband for 17 years met him when i was 17 and he is 18 years older than me age is nothing
  • JoeLemke
    JoeLemke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    my x wife, then at the age of 23, married other man who at the time was 58. they have been together 14 years. and even for such a odd situation. today, they really do seem happy together, and i am actually quite happy for them. me and her was obviously just not compatible anyway. and it turned out beneficial because i got to see my son anytime and i knew and trusted her husband. and all turned out well. like i said, very odd situation, but alot of good came from their relationship. and her being with a more mature guy that had children older than she is.
    i dont really think age is a problem between couples unless you make it an issue.
  • JoeLemke
    JoeLemke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    haha, thats awesome zerowolf.. sounds like me
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and my boyfriend is 27...we don't even think about it really...at first though I was very hesitant to date someone younger but after getting to know him it didn't matter anymore :) totally a non issue
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    My partner is 7/8 years younger than I am, works fine
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    19 years, I'm 59 and my boyfriend is 40. We started seeing each other when he was 29. It's been really nice.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    "Oldest person's age divided by 2 plus 7 = as young as you can date without it starting to get weird..."

Good formula... my Dad was 35 when he married my Mum who was 20 ... so 17.5 + 7 = 24.5, which means it is not good... and it wasn't brilliant for them! Though they stuck it out, it was completely asexual 10 years after they were married, for the next 27 years before my Dad died.

My Mum remarried in her 60s someone she had met about the time the marriage changed, who was close to our family all my childhood and could have had a wonderful life with him if she had not believed in honouring her marriage vows.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and my boyfriend is 20, but we work so why worry about a number :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ummmm, not one to judge but i assume this was legal in the country where you are from?

In most US states the age of consent is 17. Some are 16, and some are 18.
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My husband is 8 years older than me... I was 18 and he was 26 when we got married... Still together after 10 years.... and I love him more each day!!

Yeah kinda sappy but whatever... its true