18910111214»

Replies

• DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've dated 4 years younger up to 10 years older. I prefer older. :smile:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I was 8 years older than my last boyfriend. It didn't work, because I had kids of my own (who he loved and adored) and couldn't have more and he wanted kids of his own. This was not discussed upfront. Current age difference - my husband is a year and a half older. It has nothing to do with age....
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    In sociology in college we learned that there is a "rule' persay, about age gaps. Take your age, divide it by two, and then add seven, and that's the youngest person you should consider dating. So a 22 year old should never date someone younger than 18, and a 60 year old could date a 37 year old.

It means that when you're a young 22 you shouldn't be dating people that are that much older or younger than yourself because one year can change a lot of things in a person, but when you're sixty, it's not that much of a different because of relativity of time.

Obviously this isn't a hard and fast rule, but I think that the concepts in general make sense. I'm currently seeing a guy who is 29 while I'm 22, so we're at the end of the spectrum, but I crave maturity, so there you have it.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm 14 years older than my wife...she's the youngest of 5, her oldest sister is two years younger than me...we think that's why we never notice a difference.

Plus I'm surprisingly immature and she usually keeps me in check...

P.S. That's our daughter, not my wife in my profile pic...
  • 77Maria
    77Maria Posts: 90
    Options
    I have a similar situation....as the woman you speak of. I was 41 when I met my future husband - he was 28 but he never told me. We got along amazingly and our relationship was outstanding and then I found out he was only 28. I nearly lost my mind over that. I didn't want to be with someone so young...yet I already had strong feelings for him. We ended up staying together and some months later I became pregnant with our daughter and gave birth to her at 42.... I am now a happy healthy 53 year old Mom of a 10 year old daughter and he is one proud Papa about to turn 40 .....I can't say that there were all easy times...but It has so been worth it. Married now 10 years and wonder where I would be today if I had rejected the relationship because of his age! My mom and dad were 11 years apart so I grew up with this all of my younger years. My father lived to be 91, my mother is 84 now still living. You have and she has a lot of living to do....Worry never ever got me anywhere .....but you know what did??? Love...it is the greatest thing in life that ever happens to us. I will say a prayer for you....your asking everyone there advice because this is bothering you. I pray God shows you the answer and either opens or shuts the door regarding the relationship!! I send my thoughts and a hug!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    When I was around 20, I dated a guy who was around 40, but had a long term thing with a guy who was 13 years older.

My husband is 6 1/2 years younger than me...first younger guy I ever went out with...go figure! :ohwell:
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The biggest age difference was 7 years for me. I was 23 and he was 30. We felt the age difference pretty badly. We were both geeks but we were geeky about different things and just couldn't connect very well.

I don't believe that was actually caused by our age difference though. It was definitely more of a maturity level. Sadly, I was vastly more mature than he was.

The man I'm with now is 4 years older than me. We're perfect together.

I don't like dating men younger than me. I've only actually been out on one date with a younger man. It was a disaster. I'm pretty sure it was his first date ever and all I could think was that I would wind up eating him alive.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I think you should stand by your decision. Can a 40 give birth to a perfectly healthy child? Of course, but the FACTS show that many risk increase for mother and child once a mother is 30 years or older. Same reason why my husband and I have said that how ever many children we want, we have to have before 30. Not just due to this, but because my husband has seen what its like 1st hand to have older parents and the things they miss out on, and their lower energy levels. I think if your older and can pop those bad boys out, all the power to ya, but facts are facts.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was 5.5 years older than me. We started dating when I was 19 and he was 24. It worked, but I think the younger you are, the more noticeable an age difference is.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    The largest age gap in one of my relationships was almost 10yrs. (When I was almost 21 she was 30). Prolly the best relationship I have ever experienced. We are the best of friends though post breakup. I can count on her for anything.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    My husband is 9 years younger than me. He is the youngest (from my age) that I've ever been with.

I did date a guy that was 10 years older than me. He was an asshat though lol.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I think you should stand by your decision. Can a 40 give birth to a perfectly healthy child? Of course, but the FACTS show that many risk increase for mother and child once a mother is 30 years or older. Same reason why my husband and I have said that how ever many children we want, we have to have before 30. Not just due to this, but because my husband has seen what its like 1st hand to have older parents and the things they miss out on, and their lower energy levels. I think if your older and can pop those bad boys out, all the power to ya, but facts are facts.

For some odd reason I was insulted by this. I'm sorry but I'm an older parent. And I can tell you first hand that my "energy level" is just as good as it was when I was 20 (and had my oldest). I don't believe my little ones will EVER miss out on things. In fact, I believe that I am a much better parent as an older parent than when I was brand new. With age comes wisdom.

I dont care what your "FACTS" are. FACTs also state that there are many, many older parents who do great.
  • jbowerman31
    Options
    My hubby is 11 years older than me. i had my daughter at a young age and couldn't see myself with a child and a guy my age. I tried at first but realized that most younger guys aren't up to taking on a relationship and helping be a parent. I love the age difference!! We get along great and about the same maturity level most of the time. LOL